ADVERTISEMENT

The WPIAL using Heinz Field no longer works

The writer didn't even get the teams right in their article. I'm not sure why he has an ax to grind here but it sounds like he didn't even go to the games or pay enough attention to know who played.

Maybe he should just stick to writing negative articles about the Pitt Panthers and Steelers.

Amen WPIAL, was thinking the same....or that a woman wrote the srticle, someone without a clue for sure. What a pansie ass write up.

Hey tough guy, did you actually read the article? He makes

complete sense. Playing before 10,000 in a 70,000 seat stadium is a farce. It is also ridiculous to start a game at 9:30. It is a HIGH SCHOOL game, with high school age kids driving to the game and driving home after the game. Even the late eastern time zone college games start at 7:30, not 9:30.

Oh, and by the way, Bob Smizik has been a Pittsburgh sportswriter for a long time.

Re: Hey tough guy, did you actually read the article? He makes

Yes...Bob Smizik has been a Pittsburgh sportswriter for a long time. He's also been a very NEGATIVE one for a long time. He retired 6 years ago and apparently just lets his angry & sarcastic thoughts out in random blog posts now on the Post-Gazette website. See his recent articles on Pitt: "Hooray, Pitt still could be bowl eligible" or his sarcastic preview of the Steelers game last week: "Can't lose to Titans, can they?" I could honestly do without his negativity and tone. Not all Pittsburgh fans like to read incessant negativity about our teams. Even in this article about the WPIAL he took a jab at Pitt saying that the WPIAL games drew more than the Pitt game did the next day.

Regardless of his lack of support of the college and pro teams - maybe he should have at least taken the time to get the high school teams names right. The South Fayette vs. West Allegheny game at 9:30pm on Friday must have been played somewhere else because last time I checked Central Valley vs. West Allegheny kicked off at 9:10 pm AND South Fayette was already done playing. He could have at least had the respect to the schools to get their names right. Who proofreads these things? To me that shows he just wanted to complain about this, but I assume since he didn't know who was playing that he wasn't there and it obviously didn't affect him at all. Maybe he's just speaking for all his sportswriter buddies that had to stay at the stadium late to write their articles about the last game. Boohoo - sorry your job kept you up! (I don't really think that's the case since most of the local writers were tweeting throughout the game and seemed to be enjoying the AAA tilt).

I was there for AAAA at 2pm through the start of AAA until about 10pm and I can tell you I didn't hear one student, parent or fan complain about the times. It was really cool to be able to see parts of three of the district championship games, something that I certainly couldn't do if they were spread around a 50 mile radius of the city.

This post was edited on 11/25 5:58 PM by WPIAL_Fball

This post was edited on 11/25 5:59 PM by WPIAL_Fball

Well that's true...I am a tough guy

but flattery will get you nowhere you scoundrel !

Re: Well that's true...I am a tough guy

LOL!! Okay. You also have a good sense of humor. Take care.

Re: Hey tough guy, did you actually read the article? He makes

I can promise you that as a high school player in the Wpial, the #1 goal is to get to play at Heinz field for the Wpial Championship (and that includes Hershey for the most part). Late start or not, the kids will deal with just about any non-ideal situation in order to keep the game there. It was an unfortunate time this year being on a Friday the week before Thanksgiving, but I am sure it was still preferred over a high school venue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT