ADVERTISEMENT

The Ville... Whos going to stop them??

Oct 15, 2018
Who is going to stop cville or atleast slow them down??

As a defensive cord. how do you game plan? Whats options do you have to slow these guys down??

I really dont see anyone hanging arounnd with these guys unless you show them a defense that nobody has showed them yet?

Any thoughts?

Play a 4-2-5, play robber with 2 of the safeties and pull the other into run/pass coverage. Make sure your Will is the best tackler on the team. Blitz from the LDE or use the robbing S against the RT.

Play man on outside with hard jam at LOS. Roll whatever is left of coverage toward D. Bryant.

Buckle your chinstrap and tackle well.

Wow, some serious insight Pastor, I suspect you’ve drawn-up a few!

I’m more simple...nobody...but the Prep.

No one in D1 can match speed and athleticism. You can play whatever defense you want, it won't get you the win. CV has to make multiple mistakes for a D1 school to win.

And I agree, "Prep". You are going to need kids from multiple states to beat CV.

No one in D1 can match speed and athleticism. You can play whatever defense you want, it won't get you the win. CV has to make multiple mistakes for a D1 school to win.

And I agree, "Prep". You are going to need kids from multiple states to beat CV.
"Multiple" made me laugh--like the opposing coach last year saying the Prep had players from New York.

As best I can recall, in the last 50 years the Prep has had two players from Delaware--one played one season before transferring to a south Jersey school, and the other was a kid who grew up in Philly and moved with his family to Delaware around the time he started high school. The Prep has never had players from New York or Maryland ... or Hawaii ... And, yes, as has been the case for more than 50 years, the Prep draws roughly 20% of its students (including about 20% of its football players) from south Jersey.

Reactions: MC1975
"Multiple" made me laugh--like the opposing coach last year saying the Prep had players from New York.

As best I can recall, in the last 50 years the Prep has had two players from Delaware--one played one season before transferring to a south Jersey school, and the other was a kid who grew up in Philly and moved with his family to Delaware around the time he started high school. The Prep has never had players from New York or Maryland ... or Hawaii ... And, yes, as has been the case for more than 50 years, the Prep draws roughly 20% of its students (including about 20% of its football players) from south Jersey.
You can be sure if Coatesville happens to make it w the oldest line in District 1 (how old are those kids?). and they lose to Prep you can be sure we will hear the same old whining!

Pa and NJ could be considered multiple states. I just don't agree with kids from different states winning a PA state title. I know it happens in other sports as well.

How many different school districts do they draw from? ;)

I know they are not cheating, I would do the same if I coached a non-boundary school. But it doesn't make it fair.

Reactions: Fletchster1
Pa and NJ could be considered multiple states. I just don't agree with kids from different states winning a PA state title. I know it happens in other sports as well.

I know they are not cheating, I would do the same if I coached a non-boundary school. But it doesn't make it fair.
Coatesville never received transfers who lived in different school districts... Miller Bros from Downingtown in mid 80s (remember the massive thanksgiving day brawl between Coatesville and Downingtown that ended that great rivalry), the now deceased Sean Schellenger from Great Valley, Amir Ealy, etc. Coatesville basically receives the same thing! I’m not sympathetic!

Reactions: Concretechuck

The majority of the students at SJP never attended a public school, unless it was for kindergarten. They come mainly from Catholic schools, so the idea of "drawing from school districts" is not one that neatly applies to SJP.

I understand what you're saying about not liking that students who live in NJ can be part of a team that wins a PA state title. The PIAA could certainly make a rule that all players must be PA residents, and that would certainly cause SJP to exclude itself from the playoffs since they're not going to stop taking NJ students after doing so for a century or more. But is that what the PIAA wants? It seems to me that lots of public school supporters use the "SJP draws from multiple states" line to their own advantage. When they beat SJP--as P-R did last year--it makes them feel like David slaying Goliath.

Without a doubt SJP's location and its ability to draw students from different parts of the Delaware Valley are advantages. But they also have some disadvantages (many of which apply at least as much at other PCL schools) that have been mentioned on here many times before. But since we are talking geography, I'll just mention that the fact that most SJP football players live more than 5 miles from the school and the off-site practice field is a very real disadvantage. It's not as if there are limos waiting to take the players home from practice.

Same thing??? Having 1 transfer a year is not the same thing. DE, DW, and CV have all gotten a transfer every once in awhile. 99% of their team is homegrown.

Tulla, I totally agree Prep is playing by the rules that the PIAA has established. They have a great thing going and a very successful program.

The only team that can beat Coatesville in District 1 is Coatesville. If they bring there A game there isn't a team out there that can beat them.
The fix for the non-boundary schools is simple. Keep the 6 classifications and have the boundary schools in 4 classifications and have a Big non boundary championship and a small non boundary chip. St joe's isn't the only problem. The Charter schools are a problem as well.

Reactions: chiefredraider
Same thing??? Having 1 transfer a year is not the same thing. DE, DW, and CV have all gotten a transfer every once in awhile. 99% of their team is homegrown.

Tulla, I totally agree Prep is playing by the rules that the PIAA has established. They have a great thing going and a very successful program.
They are coming in for the sport so that makes them just as guilty in your argument.

Pastor Zach,
Decent idea but many, Dwest have tried similar schemes only to get torched. Then they go Empty an dYoung comes out of the backfield and you have an Lb trying to cover him. Also, you now only have 5 in the box, ala Pennsbury last year and Ridley the year before, and Ortega runs all over you. 4-2-5 wont get it done brother. Maybe for a series.

Reactions: chiefredraider
Chesmontleague1, you have no proof they are coming for sports and either does the PIAA. Parents could be getting a divorce, they may move for academic reasons, bullying, ect... The new transfer rules will help stop this.

Chesmontleague1, you have no proof they are coming for sports and either does the PIAA. Parents could be getting a divorce, they may move for academic reasons, bullying, ect... The new transfer rules will help stop this.
Agreed but one thing in common is they are playing football!

I’ve seen it written on more than one occasion that Coatesville has the oldest team in the state , or the oldest offense line in the state , or some variation? For those of us not intimately familiar with every player , what is the implication ? Are they all just seniors ? Are they actually older than they shoukd be but have a PIAA waiver granting some an extra year ? Were they held back in 8 th grade so they would be an extra year older in 12 th grade ? If anyone knows , just curious.

I’m almost certain Ortega is older. I remember seeing him play in the Bert bell youth league in the 14/15 year old division and was only in 8th grade during his up year. I could be wrong.

If GV, NP or anyone is going to beat CV the simple yet complicated answer is keeping the CV offense off of the field. GV offense is built for that situation, but they are going to have to execute.

GV defense or any defense is going to have to tackle well in space. Ortega often takes a snap and just slings it out to a receiver and a little zig and zag later they have a big gain. Not saying he can't throw it down field, but CV hasn't needed him to. A relentless pursuit to the football with great angles is the only way some one will make CV get weary.

How will they react when they are challenged...eventually we are going to find out.

Cheers,

Busch

If GV, NP or anyone is going to beat CV the simple yet complicated answer is keeping the CV offense off of the field. GV offense is built for that situation, but they are going to have to execute.

GV defense or any defense is going to have to tackle well in space. Ortega often takes a snap and just slings it out to a receiver and a little zig and zag later they have a big gain. Not saying he can't throw it down field, but CV hasn't needed him to. A relentless pursuit to the football with great angles is the only way some one will make CV get weary.

How will they react when they are challenged...eventually we are going to find out.

Cheers,

Busch

About keeping Coatesville off the field; I’m thinking the opposite, don’t worry about keeping them off the field, find a team if it exists that can keep up with them (Emmaus SJP Harrisburg) who might trade points, thinking that regardless of D scheme, you won't stop them.

So, if you can't beat em, join em with a team that fields a prolific offense that can keep up with them....then special teams/turnovers to decide it. If you can find that team, you can beat Coatesville, but there are only a few.

Coatesville smashes Friday. It will not be close. As far as stopping Coatesville? Nobody can, they will get their points. I believe Ortega is better than Pine-Richland QB last year. Ortega does not get his due because of his height. SJP will need to outscore them.

I believe Ortega is better than Pine-Richland QB last year. Ortega does not get his due because of his height.

That's a pretty strong statement!

I've seen Coatesville play twice this year on youtube/streaming. Once vs. Harrisburg and once versus someone else. Also saw them once last year. I think Coatesville plays the exact kind of game that you need to play to have a chance to beat St. Joe's Prep. The question I have is can they be disciplined and sound enough schematically to hold up over time versus one of the best coached teams in PA. In the few times I've watched them, it seems a lot like Coatesville having really good athletes and running around and making plays. That can work, but when you play a team with equal talent and better scheme, it tends to eventually fall apart. Coatesville in the second half last year, as well as PCC in the state championship games in 2013 and 2016 would be good examples of equally talented teams eventually getting beat by SJP's scheme and discipline.

We'll probably find out as they are heading for a collision course in Hershey.

All I'm saying is let's not giving them the title yet. Still have to play DTE in what looks like will be a monsoon. Playing a team twice in three weeks is never easy-does DTE feel revenge? CVille thinking it will be as easy? We are talking about teenagers-you never know which team will show up from one week to the next. If they win this week, they have to play GV-I would have to think that their style makes GV the toughest out in the tournament. CVille struggled to stop them last year, didn't they?

Last edited:
Reactions: solfootballfan
The game tomorrow night will be interesting to see if CV can keep DTE two rb's in check and if they can protect Ricky when they need to.

The RT struggled the last game, but we will see if they can get Aaron Young going against their front 7.

I will be surprised if DE has a lot of success offensively. Coach Ortega's defensive will be ready to stop the run and force DE to pass the ball, which is not their strength. CV was not that impressive the first game, they can play better. Which is scary.

And not to beat a dead horse w the boundary v. Non-boundary teams, but teams that play by different, high-impact regulations should not play for the same state title. Especially when a substantial number of players do not live in the state. Everyone knows it’s not fair. To try and suggest that a boundary team with one questionable transfer has the same shake as a team with a dozen kids from out of state and 30 other towns in SE PA is just ridiculous. It will change at some point.

And not to beat a dead horse w the boundary v. Non-boundary teams, but teams that play by different, high-impact regulations should not play for the same state title. Especially when a substantial number of players do not live in the state. Everyone knows it’s not fair. To try and suggest that a boundary team with one questionable transfer has the same shake as a team with a dozen kids from out of state and 30 other towns in SE PA is just ridiculous. It will change at some point.
Boundary vs Non boundary is just one aspect. Transfers... kids moving for football in public, private, etc is a huge issue.

With the new transfer rule, these kids better transfer in 9th grade (or earlier) or they will be sitting out postseason that first year. It doesn't matter if you transfer over the summer or during school year. It also includes transferring for spiritual reasons, still sitting out of post season.

With the new transfer rule, these kids better transfer in 9th grade (or earlier) or they will be sitting out postseason that first year. It doesn't matter if you transfer over the summer or during school year. It also includes transferring for spiritual reasons, still sitting out of post season.
Amen to that one brother!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT