ADVERTISEMENT

The Playoffs: All classifications write-ups and Power Ratings (3A-6A)

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
December 9th games, Saturday
Defending state champ underlined, Runner-Up italicized,
All games at Hershey Park Stadium.

3A Final; Dec 9th 12-PM
Middletown D3 14-0 vs Quaker Valley D7 13-1

Middletown showed why they are one of the top teams in the state by totally dominating Conwell Egan (7-7) 49-7. A measure of their defensive prowess was shown when they held CEC’s outstanding running back Patrick Garwo to 61 yards rushing. While many of us expected more, this one was over early with the Blue Raiders out to a 21-0 1st quarter lead that grew to 28-7 at the half. That has been their hallmark this season, jumping you early then pounding away with an array of backs while the D takes care of business on their end. Their defense, through its physicality sets a lot of it up, giving the offense great field position then hunkering down allowing but 2 touchdowns in the postseason. They prefer the run but Scott Ash can air it out as evidenced by his 192 yards and 2 touchdown passes. But record setting Brady Fox is often the centerpiece and again showed why, rushing for 174 yards and 4 touchdowns. The thing about teams making another deep run like Middletown as last year’s AAA runner-up is that none of this is new to them. And how about CEC getting to this point. No one expected that!
Out west Quaker Valley was taking care of business zipping past Sharon (10-4) 43-23. But it wasn’t too easy with the young Tigers clawing their way to a 14-10 deficit before QV took control, outscoring them 29-13 in the 2nd half. That they hung in that long or got this far is impressive. Excepting Aliquippa, no one has managed the Quakers, not with duel threat quarterback Ricky Guss tearing things up as only the 4th QB in Wpial history to pass for over 2000 yards (2142) and rush for over 1000 (1144) in a season. He accumulated 270 against Sharon, completing 14 of 24 passes for 208 yards, and rushed for 68 more, totaling 4 Tds. It was a balanced attack getting 208 yards rushing and 204 passing. Sharon ended their season with 116 yards rushing and 198 passing. Continuing with Sharon for a moment, it was a good year knowing they recovered from a 1-2 start with sophomore quarterback Lane Voytik throwing for 2636 yards. Junior running back Jordan Wilson (1233) also returns with over 3000 career yards to date along with 4 linemen so look for them to be here again next year.
About the game, it brings together two really accomplished teams with QV the more versatile of the two offensively with Guss (see above) complimented by JT Taylor’s 931 yards rushing and 409 in receptions along with WRs Isaiah McNair’s 886 yards in receptions and Ryan Jakovic’s 428. Looks threatening and they are, but if the Raiders can get any pressure on Guss they might bring into play his 49% completion rate and 12 interceptions. That hasn’t bothered them yet, not with wins against North Catholic, Aliquippa, Derry, Seton LaSalle and Sharon who have a combined record of 50-13. Middletown will put some big bodies on them upfront in Brendan Douglas 6-5, 285, Matt Lugo 6-0 265, Salvatore Coretti 6-1 255 and others. They are fast and unyielding, allowing 93 total points, or 6ppg on average. The game looks to be close except for Middletown’s extreme D stats swinging it to 18.5 their way.

6A Final; Dec 9th 6-PM
Saint Joseph’s Prep D11 13-0 vs Pine Richland D7 15-0

St. Joe’s….27th straight win!
There isn’t enough space to write-up the 53-49 back-and-forth of St. Joe’s successful encounter with Coatesville (13-2) but rest assured it was an old fashion classic between heavyweights at sold out Kottmeyer where many a great struggle have been decided. In football the term heavyweight is often overused (hackneyed?) but not when describing this one as it may have topped them all with each striking what seemed a decisive blow just to have the other side respond with an equally decisive counter stroke. Talk about anxious. St. Joseph’s found themselves in a 21-3 hole (late 2nd qtr) that became 21-10 at the half and 28-10 in the early 3rd. But they responded with six 2nd half scores to bring it home.
Marquez McCray had a strong game completing 16 of 26 passes for 190 yards and 2 touchdowns (nice having a senior QB) while rushing for 50 yards and 4 touchdowns. Kolbe Burrell had 124 yards on 9 carries with Marques Mason getting 68 yards on 18 totes. His touchdown from the 3 with 90 seconds left in the game iced it. James Cherry (late injury, severity?) and Brandon Sanders had 5 catches apiece for 68 yards each. Allowing 49 points might create the impressive the D was on vacation. But that would do a disservice to the outstanding offense on the other side of the field, and to a Hawk defense that came up with 3 turnovers that led to scores. They had 2 picks, one returned by Dawson DeLuliis 72 yards to set up a score, Zach Bougess had the other, a recovered fumble by Liam Johnson deep in Raider territory that led to another score, and a bad snap on a punt near the goal line to get another. Linebacker mentality maybe but special teams and defense always rules! St. Joe’s had no turnovers. Talking Football 101, you still have to run the football and Coatesville didn’t, with only 24 attempts leading to 102 yards while the Hawks had 238 yards rushing on 46 carries. So the two year winning streak continues.
Coatesville’s RIcky Ortega showed why he’s one of the most exciting quarterbacks in the state and beyond completing 24 of 38 passes for 424 yards and 6 touchdowns, most of them to Dapree Bryant who caught 9 for 272 yards, scoring 3 times. Kahtero Summers caught 5 for 74 and a score. The Red Raider D-Front was lights out early but how about St. Joe’s adjusting well (as always), evidenced by their outscoring Coatesville 43-28 thereon. Think about that a while, 43 2nd half points against a defense allowing 15ppg (209 all year) coming in!

Over on the left side of the state, another District-3 team bit the dust (plastic actually) at Altoona’s Mansion Park Stadium where Pine Richland continued their inexorable march to the state final with a well contested 28-7 victory. This was new territory for the Rams being held in check by anyone, let alone a team from a district supposedly having a down year with no chance of winning. Good luck selling that one to any team, especially a veteran bunch of Streaks who’ve had attitude all year, beating Central Dauphin and Wilson twice, and Cumberland Valley who before St. Joe’s were the only team to beat Coatesville. Regardless, the Streaks came to get some, holding the prolific Pine Richland offense (48ppg avg, 714 on year) to a slim 13-0 halftime lead. ‘Tho reputed to have a few ailing players (who isn’t ailing this time of year) the Rams responded enough to outscore the Blue Streaks 15-7 and go on for the win. Phil Jurkovec had his usual game completing 22 of 34 passes for 246 yards and 2 scores while rushing for another score and 68 yards. Raymond Falcone and Jason DeFrancsis combined for 15 receptions for 104 and 60 yards respectively. Manheim Township’s D stepped up big time, carrying most of the load and holding the Rams to 66 rush yards and sacking Jurkovec three time. Qb Luke Emge completed 14 of 32 for 164 yards with Pine Richland’s defense being the real winner holding Township to 266 total yards with Emge strip sacked 3 times. 5 turnovers proved fatal, 4 fumbles and a pick, despite a great effort from the D holding PR to 312 total yards. Defense! And how about these quarterbacks, Jurkovec going to Notre Dame, Emge to Harvard!

About the match up, this is St. Joseph’s 4th appearance in the title game, with wins against Pittsburgh Central Catholic in 2013, Pine Richland in 2014 and Central Catholic again last year. For the Rams and apart from 2014, they won Silver in 2003 as a 3A losing to Manheim Central. Knowing how St. Joe’s managed Coatesville has to have them favored here as does their far more difficult schedule and big game experience. Pine Richland is a great team but the WPIAL was down this year, impacting their stats to show an edge offensively. St. Joe’s seems at a disadvantage in that sector of seasonal stats until you view what they did offensively against Parkland (49-14) and when pushed against Coatesville. They too have an explosive offense and more impressive defensive stats against a stronger slate of teams. That’s not to disparage Pine Richland’s defense that is solid or their explosive offense. In what looks like a game that could very well mimic the 2014 game won by St. Joe’s 49-41, they are favored here by 6.77 points.

Reactions: JACKY6996
Stalker, I'm going against you on this one. I'm taking the Rams by a comfortable margin. The key matchup will be the 3 Sophomore OL for SJP versus a very good front 7 by P-R. For both teams, it will come down to the QB's being able to run and throw to make the offenses move, and in that regard, #15 will come out on top. (I hope!)

Reactions: JACKY6996
Stalker, I'm going against you on this one. I'm taking the Rams by a comfortable margin. The key matchup will be the 3 Sophomore OL for SJP versus a very good front 7 by P-R. For both teams, it will come down to the QB's being able to run and throw to make the offenses move, and in that regard, #15 will come out on top. (I hope!)

PR o line needs to play their best game of the season. I’ve said it before but they have not been too hot these past few games. Letting guys run completely untouched and jurkovec is getting hit to much. If SJP does their homework they will try to exploit whatever these other teams did. If PR o line plays well enough for jurkovec to make the plays then I’m taking PR by 2 touchdowns. PR can’t afford mistakes on special teams either. I honestly think SJP offense is overrated and PR defense matches up against it well on film. Just my opinion, sure I’ll get flamed by some douche from philly for picking PR now (kidding kidding ;) ).

There you go. You had to bring up special teams. Lets hope P-R doesn't punt.

PR o line needs to play their best game of the season. I’ve said it before but they have not been too hot these past few games. Letting guys run completely untouched and jurkovec is getting hit to much. If SJP does their homework they will try to exploit whatever these other teams did. If PR o line plays well enough for jurkovec to make the plays then I’m taking PR by 2 touchdowns. PR can’t afford mistakes on special teams either. I honestly think SJP offense is overrated and PR defense matches up against it well on film. Just my opinion, sure I’ll get flamed by some douche from philly for picking PR now (kidding kidding ;) ).
Jacky, you should change the numbers in your username to 277. Look at a phone - you'll figure it out!
OK, back to the game. I see a significant difference in this year's match up as compared to the two SJP-PCC clashes. Whereas the East heard how proficient the PCC running game was prior to those games, it's apparent that P-R can beat a team in the air or on the ground. It's going to be a real test for the Hawks. How does Jurkovec compare to DiNucci? Dinucci could extend the play. Does Jurkovec have that ability, or does he look to run

Reactions: new2pa
Jacky, you should change the numbers in your username to 277. Look at a phone - you'll figure it out!
OK, back to the game. I see a significant difference in this year's match up as compared to the two SJP-PCC clashes. Whereas the East heard how proficient the PCC running game was prior to those games, it's apparent that P-R can beat a team in the air or on the ground. It's going to be a real test for the Hawks. How does Jurkovec compare to DiNucci? Dinucci could extend the play. Does Jurkovec have that ability, or does he look to run

PCC was one dimensional last season. Worked against the smaller wpial teams where they could line up in the I formation and just run it on everyone behind the D1 o line. Then they run into two well coached teams with talent and they where exposed. They arguably had more talent than SJP last year but not having an efficent passing game exposed them. PR has been very balanced on offense running and passing so it will pose a bigger challenge. Jurkovec is a much better runner (and athlete) then dinucci was by a mile. Dinucci scrambled a lot to extend plays and would only run with it if he had to. Jurkovec does both very well in scrambling to extend a passing play or pick up yards on the ground and they've used him on some designed runs. They've saved a lot of jurkovecs running this season up until the playoffs, besides the NA game I don't think they've fully used his running ability in a game, they've been saving it for now. I expect him to get 15-20 carries on either scrambles or designed runs against SJP. A lot of read option plays too.

Both can run and pass...real well, and are well coached. We seldom talk about it but coaching often spells the difference in these games. It's a given turnovers are critical so apart from the above, I'll go with Special Teams and Defense to decide the all important issue of field position, especially at this level.

Both can run and pass...real well, and are well coached. We seldom talk about it but coaching often spells the difference in these games. It's a given turnovers are critical so apart from the above, I'll go with Special Teams and Defense to decide the all important issue of field position, especially at this level.

Any turnovers will be huge. PR defense got 5 last week against manheim as did SJP got a few against Coatsville. One turnover could decide the game.

Just FYI these kids aren't your typical sophs. They are stone division one kids with division one bodies right now. Looking at a program you might think that's a potential weakness to be exploited. That would be incorrect. Prep isn't as good in the skill positions as they normally are. Still good and deep just don't have the same explosiveness as in the past. I may be wrong but I don't see PR having an advantage up front but they may have an advantage in passing game between the QB and the Recs against Prep secondary. I also think Prep will be in good stead after playing a very explosive Coatesville team last week. If Prep wins it will be the big kids who win it. If they don't win LOS on both sides PR wins and maybe easy. Prep very good up front. Prep hasn't seen a QB or offense this good yet. Almost guarantee PR hasn't seen a team as good as Prep yet especially up front. Should make for tremendous game.

PCC was one dimensional last season. Worked against the smaller wpial teams where they could line up in the I formation and just run it on everyone behind the D1 o line. Then they run into two well coached teams with talent and they where exposed. They arguably had more talent than SJP last year but not having an efficent passing game exposed them. PR has been very balanced on offense running and passing so it will pose a bigger challenge. Jurkovec is a much better runner (and athlete) then dinucci was by a mile. Dinucci scrambled a lot to extend plays and would only run with it if he had to. Jurkovec does both very well in scrambling to extend a passing play or pick up yards on the ground and they've used him on some designed runs. They've saved a lot of jurkovecs running this season up until the playoffs, besides the NA game I don't think they've fully used his running ability in a game, they've been saving it for now. I expect him to get 15-20 carries on either scrambles or designed runs against SJP. A lot of read option plays too.
Jacky- I agree with most but I thought in that game a couple years ago Prep was up big and relaxed too early. On paper PR has the advantage this year and coaching is pretty even. My gut tells me Prep in an upset. field position, run game and a few play action hits. Running back by committee with qb McCray making plays with feet and Arm, he does not turn it over. PR is very, very good, in every area but Prep played 2 games less and that's huge this time of year. Long drives and time of possession is the key for Prep. I think Prep can run it tomorrow. PR will do is thing on O as usual , no doubt.

Jacky- I agree with most but I thought in that game a couple years ago Prep was up big and relaxed too early. On paper PR has the advantage this year and coaching is pretty even. My gut tells me Prep in an upset. field position, run game and a few play action hits. Running back by committee with qb McCray making plays with feet and Arm, he does not turn it over. PR is very, very good, in every area but Prep played 2 games less and that's huge this time of year. Long drives and time of possession is the key for Prep. I think Prep can run it tomorrow. PR will do is thing on O as usual , no doubt.

I disagree with that a bit. I’d give prep coaching advantages in some areas (special teams for sure, and possible defense) and PR an advantage in others (offense for sure). Everyone who was sick is doing well health wise right now (I think the only one who might still be feeling something Is defrancsis, who is their leading receiver in yards but falcone is better imo, they’ll want both at their best) and I’m pretty sure no starters are hurt or out. I think people are really underestimating PR front 7. The two inside LB’s are both studs and run killers. Kristofic is a stud (also big time D1 recruit) and he’s been almost unblockable at times on defense, and Katic next to him has been very good. Then the one DE cammino (converted WR from last year) has 15+ sacks on the season; he’s been very impressive. SJP has three first year starters in their interior line and I think it bodes well for PR stopping the run. PR’s weakness on defense has been the one outside LB that teams like to throw and run at him. Also the corners are smaller (unless they put white in there) and bigger receivers have tended to win the 1-1 matchups in the secondary. If prep does try to control time of possession I think it’s very important they are getting points. Anouther Factor would be I don’t think prep has anyone going both ways; PR has a few.

Just a quick comment about the perceived advantage to SJP of playing two fewer games. The Prep could have played a "regular season game" at the end of August but instead played a scrimmage against St. Joe's Regional, a week after scrimmaging Bergen Catholic: hardly a case of taking the easy route.

Just a quick comment about the perceived advantage to SJP of playing two fewer games. The Prep could have played a "regular season game" at the end of August but instead played a scrimmage against St. Joe's Regional, a week after scrimmaging Bergen Catholic: hardly a case of taking the easy route.

Fair point. And their scrimmages are more like games than traditional "scrimmages." And the competition adds to those challenges.

How can the coaching matchup be "even" when one guy has 3 titles and a great record vs out of state/nationally recognized football programs?

How can the coaching matchup be "even" when one guy has 3 titles and a great record vs out of state/nationally recognized football programs?

I think coaching may also be relative to talent as well as wins and losses.

Is Gabe a better coach than George Novak or Jim Render?

I disagree with that a bit. I’d give prep coaching advantages in some areas (special teams for sure, and possible defense) and PR an advantage in others (offense for sure). Everyone who was sick is doing well health wise right now (I think the only one who might still be feeling something Is defrancsis, who is their leading receiver in yards but falcone is better imo, they’ll want both at their best) and I’m pretty sure no starters are hurt or out. I think people are really underestimating PR front 7. The two inside LB’s are both studs and run killers. Kristofic is a stud (also big time D1 recruit) and he’s been almost unblockable at times on defense, and Katic next to him has been very good. Then the one DE cammino (converted WR from last year) has 15+ sacks on the season; he’s been very impressive. SJP has three first year starters in their interior line and I think it bodes well for PR stopping the run. PR’s weakness on defense has been the one outside LB that teams like to throw and run at him. Also the corners are smaller (unless they put white in there) and bigger receivers have tended to win the 1-1 matchups in the secondary. If prep does try to control time of possession I think it’s very important they are getting points. Anouther Factor would be I don’t think prep has anyone going both ways; PR has a few.

PR front goes both ways

Jacky6996, what is PR favorite offensive play? Would you consider them a run first team? Has anyone punched PR in the mouth this year? Those sophs for SJP, played 13 games, the being a soph thing is over played. Game ready for PR

Tulla - I never made mention of an easy route? Actually a very small piece of my post. Since you brought it up... I just asked my college son and one of my sons who plays high school and two of his buddies who go both ways. These are strong programs they play for. They said they can barely walk after games and if they got the chance to rest two extra weeks they would happy. Fact not a rip, just a fact on the wears and tears and dings and what not. I coached not that long ago and teams don’t bang during the week, it’s thud and mental prep. The games beat you up.The early bye they scrimmaged the bye during the year there is no way they scrimmaged. For the record, a scrimmage is no way close to a game. It just is not. Special teams are thud, reps are less, more subs, quick whistles. Again never said easy route. I have much respect for Infante and staff.
Fair point. And their scrimmages are more like games than traditional "scrimmages." And the competition adds to those challenges.

Newport - Kapser and staff are very good. Don’t have the tiles but never had the talent the prep had. Pgh CC and NA are I their conference, been beating them lately.

Reactions: newport
I was just asking. I don't really know much about the western side and know even less about the coaches except for a few names. The PR coach and his staff are probably excellent coaches. Wasn't trying to take a shot at them. But I would think in a game like this, between these 2 specific coaches, the guy that has won 3 of the last 4 big school titles, as well as playing and even beating some NJ, Cali, etc powers(teams with as much or more talent) has the edge. Someone mentioned that they are beating the likes of NA and PCC these days. That's pretty good but I would stack the wins Infante is getting vs LaSalle and Wood over the years against those wins.

Either way, I just hope this game lives up to the enormous hype surrounding it. There was similar hype the last couple vs PCC and Prep ended up dominating and winning easily after alot of talk leading up. It would be great for the schools, the fans, the communities, the sport and the state if this ends up being an instant classic.

Because of that possibility, I am heading to Hershey tomorrow to watch in person. Can't wait to watch. And I'm very excited to see Jurkovec live as well

Reactions: Soup13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT