ADVERTISEMENT

The Left a little too extreme!!

paul from philly

Dec 9, 2010
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...o-serve-jeff-sessions/?utm_term=.a111c21e0215

There has been a lot of this going on from the left. The guy is a shop owner along the border and because he chose to get his picture taken with a member of the administration, he's suffering. Sarah Huckabee Sanders not being served in a local restaurant. Kind of childish, wouldn't you say!!?? The thing that the left has to remember is that they are not the majority. It's basically 50-50. They're not making converts when they do this. They're basically showing that they're kind of petty!!

LIBERTARIAN 2018!!!

Last edited:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...o-serve-jeff-sessions/?utm_term=.a111c21e0215

There has been a lot of this going on from the left. The guy is a shop owner along the border and because he chose to get his picture taken with a member of the administration, he's suffering. Sarah Huckabee Sanders not being served in a local restaurant. Kind of childish, wouldn't you say!!?? The thing that the left has to remember is that they are not the majority. It's basically 50-50. They're not making converts when they do this. They're basically showing that they're kind of petty!!

LIBERTARIAN 2018!!!
Paul,

There are an awful lot of people strongly opposed to Trump who are not remotely on the left. For instance, there are lots of true conservatives, e.g. George Will, Bill Kristol, David Frum, and lots of other people who served under Reagan and the Bushes who are voting for a Democrat, often for the first time this fall. And I would hardly classify everyone or maybe even most people in the Democratic Party as being on "the left." I'd agree that some people have gone too far and have been tasteless or nasty in what they have done or said. It's also true we've never had a president who's spoken and acted like Trump.

Are you committed to voting for any candidate the Libertarian Party nominates?

Reactions: Aragorn
Paul,

There are an awful lot of people strongly opposed to Trump who are not remotely on the left. For instance, there are lots of true conservatives, e.g. George Will, Bill Kristol, David Frum, and lots of other people who served under Reagan and the Bushes who are voting for a Democrat, often for the first time this fall. And I would hardly classify everyone or maybe even most people in the Democratic Party as being on "the left." I'd agree that some people have gone too far and have been tasteless or nasty in what they have done or said. It's also true we've never had a president who's spoken and acted like Trump.

Are you committed to voting for any candidate the Libertarian Party nominates?

No Tulla. In fact, if the media had stayed out of the election last time and not directed all the attention to two candidates, there were a number of guys I would have voted for. Kasich or Bush right off the top. Shoot, I would have voted for Biden, given the chance But we weren't given the chance. The media wanted Trump/Clinton and guess what we got. You know Trump is not too far off of his review of the media. They're not in it for us. They're in it for the ratings. They direct the narrative. We should be directing the narrative. First question, out of the gate, at the republican debate would not have been "Mr. Trump why did you call Rosie O'Donnell a fat pig?" as Meghan Kelly asked

And I worded my statement wrong. The extreme left is a little too extreme. I think it's a little petty that this poor guy who owns this restaurant should be harassed because he was proud to serve a member of the administration. Don't you think the waters are muddied enough!!

Last edited:
No Tulla. In fact, if the media had stayed out of the election last time and not directed all the attention to two candidates, there were a number of guys I would have voted for. Kasich or Bush right off the top. Shoot, I would have voted for Biden, given the chance But we weren't given the chance. The media wanted Trump/Clinton and guess what we got. You know Trump is not too far off of his review of the media. They're not in it for us. They're in it for the ratings. They direct the narrative. We should be directing the narrative. First question, out of the gate, at the republican debate would not have been "Mr. Trump why did you call Rosie O'Donnell a fat pig?" as Meghan Kelly asked

And I worded my statement wrong. The extreme left is a little too extreme. I think it's a little petty that this poor guy who owns this restaurant should be harassed because he was proud to serve a member of the administration. Don't you think the waters are muddied enough!!
I agree media are a problem. The 24-hour cable news channels emphasize sensationalism and the moment-to-moment dramas over more substantial reporting. The fact that every little twist and turn is "breaking news" is ridiculous. I also don't think we've come to grips with the the real effects of social media. We do, however, have lots of evidence that it reinforces strong emotions and facilitates and accelerates the spread of lies.

Your reference to the Meghan Kelly question highlights a real dilemma. What Trump called Rosie O'Donnell is not in itself a topic that merits such attention, but the coarseness of this president, his repeated and often cruel insults of citizens will have a harmful and serious effect for a long time. Today he called a person he hired and often praised in the past a dog. Should we ignore that? Should we ignore the fact that he so often singles out African Americans as "low IQ"? We all know what stereotype that is reinforcing.

Meanwhile, Trump gleefully eliminates environmental regulations at the very time it's becoming obvious to just about everyone that the pace of climate change is accelerating. It's also becoming clearer who the real beneficiaries of the tax cuts are. Let's see what results from his trade wars.

I know you are not a fan of Trump, but I worry that the inclination to say something like "both sides are equally bad" makes what Trump is doing seem like just a normal pendulum swing.

Reactions: Aragorn
I agree media are a problem. The 24-hour cable news channels emphasize sensationalism and the moment-to-moment dramas over more substantial reporting. The fact that every little twist and turn is "breaking news" is ridiculous. I also don't think we've come to grips with the the real effects of social media. We do, however, have lots of evidence that it reinforces strong emotions and facilitates and accelerates the spread of lies.

Your reference to the Meghan Kelly question highlights a real dilemma. What Trump called Rosie O'Donnell is not in itself a topic that merits such attention, but the coarseness of this president, his repeated and often cruel insults of citizens will have a harmful and serious effect for a long time. Today he called a person he hired and often praised in the past a dog. Should we ignore that? Should we ignore the fact that he so often singles out African Americans as "low IQ"? We all know what stereotype that is reinforcing.

Meanwhile, Trump gleefully eliminates environmental regulations at the very time it's becoming obvious to just about everyone that the pace of climate change is accelerating. It's also becoming clearer who the real beneficiaries of the tax cuts are. Let's see what results from his trade wars.

I know you are not a fan of Trump, but I worry that the inclination to say something like "both sides are equally bad" makes what Trump is doing seem like just a normal pendulum swing.

That's why I suggest a third party. Does George Will follow this republican party? I don't think so. Do all democrats want to shame a restaurant owner or kick Huckabee Sanders out? I don't think so. Where is a middle ground person supposed to go and be heard? As you stated, social media drowns you out. Even if I have a fantastic answer to climate change, where do I go to be heard over the noise of social media? They're still busy shaming a restaurant owner!! Or calling a hired staffer "a dog". And the 24/7 media is loving it!!!

Last edited:

LIBERTARIAN 2018!!!

But it's okay to refuse to bake a wedding cake? You guys!!

Trump has also gotten rid of 3 top FBI people who have been dealing with the Russia investigation. Comey, McCabe, Strzok.

But it's okay to refuse to bake a wedding cake? You guys!!

If you argue things dealing with religion, you will lose! And really RTC, right there is part of the problem. A wedding cake?? Really?? You're going to pick your fight over a wedding cake??Go get it from another bakery and keep moving! You can't force a person to do something against what he believes in. Ain't happening and the couple should have realized that. Freedom of religion is right up there with guns and air to some.

What is the difference between refusing to serve Huckabee Sanders and refusing to bake a wedding cake? I'm lost here.

The baker who was refusing to bake the cake did it on religious grounds. It goes against his religious beliefs. Damn Christians. In the Huckabee situation, they just didn't want to serve her because of her position. And by the way, the Huckabee deal didn't go to the Supreme Court. The cake one did.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...-suing-the-state-of-colorado-again/ar-BBLZ7Fh

Here it is again. The baker is being sued again for discrimination after the fact that the Supreme Court found in favor of the baker. Now he's suing for harassment. I think it is harassment. Just go down the friggin' block and buy from another bakery! And if that takes root, the baker goes out of business. But if there are like minded people, there's not much you're gonna be able to do. Move on!!

So in your mind political beliefs and religious beliefs are entirely different things?

Not "in my mind". In the Constitution. Makes for good reading!! Freedom of Speech (Huckabee Sanders is OK with her stand because of freedom of speech and should have been served). Freedom of Religion (the baker doesn't have to do anything against his beliefs). Separation of Church and State. Does any of this sound familiar to you?

That's why Libertarian is a good landing spot. Don't bother me, I won't bother you. In the case of the baker, a Libertarian would have just gone to another baker for his cake.

Last edited:
No wonder you're a Trump guy now. You can twist anything around. Isn't not serving dinner the same as not serving cake?

You know what? You are a beaut!! You really can't see the difference? You are infringing on the way the baker practices his beliefs. It has nothing to do with "twisting" anything. It is in the Constitution! It's called Freedom of Religion. The Supreme Court just ruled on it. Were they "twisting" something? Sarah Huckabee Sanders has a right to say or feel anything she wants and you can't stop her or go after her discriminatorily because of that. Again, it has nothing to do with "twisting" anything. It's in the Constitution. It's called Freedom of Speech. And it doesn't matter if you're a Dem, Repub, Libertarian, or a Trump guy, it works the same for everyone. Everyone that knows the Constitution that is. That is obviously not you!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT