ADVERTISEMENT

The East-AAAA: Top 20

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
Not much change from the Preseason Rankings six weeks ago with performances largily reflecting expectations where all the ranked teams won except #12 North Penn losing to 6th ranked LaSalle, # 16 Council Rock North losing to 14th ranked Perkiomen Valley and # 20 Roman Catholic losing to AA-ranked West Catholic. The write ups are sketchy, meant as quick hits only to provide some info on the games.

1. Parkland 1-0. This was an easy crossover win for Parkland beating Eastern PA Conference-North member Dieruff, 51-13. Parkland plays in the EPC-South. This weekend should show more of the same against Northampton’s Konkrete Kids, fresh off a 35-6 win over William Allen. Thereon, it looks like clear sailing until the fifth week where they host Whitehall where anything can and often does happen. The back-loaded schedule has them playing at Liberty and Easton, then home to Freedom and at Nazareth before closing out at home to Emmaus.
2. St. Joseph’s Prep 1-0. As expected the two-time defending state champion Hawk’s had a competitive game with one of the historic southern powers, winning in Shreveport, LA against Evangel Christian Academy 14-0. What a great way for St. Joe’s to begin the season, winning on the road against quality. They need to suck it up again this week taking on national power Don Bosco Prep (0-1) who lost to St. Joseph Regional 17-7.
3. Coatesville 1-0. All systems are go as district runner up Coatesville rolled over Martin Luther King High 42-14, showing a balanced attack and great effort by the young defense. They’re home this week against Woodson (1-1).
4. Neshaminy 1-0. Like St. Joseph’s Prep above, the Skins went on the road to defeat one of New Jersey’s better public teams Montclair, 37-31. They’ll need a similar effort against a more mature, veteran team this weekend in their home opener against Downingtown West (1-0). The same can be said for the Whippets who will find it difficult taking down the Tribe on the road.
5. Easton 1-0. The Rovers rolled to another easy win against overmatched Pleasant Valley, crushing the Bears 43-13, to mimic last year’s 49-14 rout. Up next is a dangerous road trip to Emmaus (1-0)…aka….Pennsbury North where the Hornet’s ground and pound will have difficulty against another solid Easton defensive front.
6. LaSalle 1-0. In a game that was more competitive than previous meetings since the series inception in 2010, LaSalle defeated North Penn for the sixth straight year, 24-12. The previous losses were by 22, 27, 13, 17 and 13 from 2014 through 2010. Pennsbury’s 8th ranked Falcons are next in what should be one of the top games in this part of the state. This looks like a slugfest so long as LaSalle doesn’t jump out to a lead forcing Falcons to fly.
7. Upper Dublin 1-0. Upper Dublin had no trouble with graduation depleted Delaware Valley, winning easily 42-7. No such luck this weekend with Truman (1-0) capable of offering a more competitive game.
8. Pennsbury 1-0. Giving a glimpse of how competitive the coming season will be, Pennsbury had a hard fought game but pulled out the win against veteran Council Rock South 13-6. But the big story should be how well their defense played (entire DL back, a few LBs) holding South to six points. Their veteran backfield will come around and if quarterback Mike Alley (6-4, 215, sr) can keep opponents honest, look out!
9. Downingtown East 1-0. Running back Jack Kincade stood out as well as the new quarterback Saunders Healy (6-4, 185, sr) as the Cougars downed Frankford of the Philadelphia Public League 34-6. The backfield will operate behind a veteran, senior line that includes Michael Clark (6-7, 280, MD commit), Mike Rachlin (6-3, 260), Jay Ingram (6-2, 235) and tight end Cary Angeline (6-7, 235) from last year. The Philadelphia foray continues this weekend playing Roman Catholic (0-1) who is coming off a 35-16 loss to West Catholic.
10. Downingtown West 1-0. Downingtown is Downingtown but few expected the 41-3 romp over Haverford last week. The win moved them up a notch, jumping Quakertown per the magnitude of their win against the Fords. They won’t find the going that easy this week in Langhorne taking on Neshaminy who is looking for some pay-back from last year’s 28-7 thumping.
11. Quakertown 1-0. As expected the Panthers handily defeated neighboring Upper Perkiomen 41-0. First week wrinkles will probably be ironed out this weekend against Hatboro Horsham (0-1).
12. North Penn 0-1. Didn’t drop the Knights in the ranking who lost as expected to higher ranked LaSalle 24-12. No rest for the weary this weekend traveling to West Catholic to battle the Double-A ranked Burrs. Buckle up!
13. Pennridge 1-0. Anyone else notice all the offense the last few years on opening day? Put another way, the lack of defense? The Rams used their typical battering ram of an O-line to make short work of the Hatters, winning 55-29. Central Bucks East (1-0) is next bringing back a lot of bodies from last year.
14. Perkiomen Valley 1-0. The Council Rock North crowd has to be disgusted seeing their team’s utter lack of ability to field anything resembling a defense….again! All the variations of the Spread Offense are sometimes trumped by defense, but not this time with Perkiomen Valley overcoming a 30-21 deficit to outscore CR North 35-6 in the second half (35-6!?) for a 56-36 win. CR was previously ranked 16th. Methacton (0-1), already struggling with heavy grad losses, losing to Norristown 43-13 is next in Perk Val’s home opener.
15. Freedom 1-0. Like Haverford against Downingtown, many expected more from East Stroudsburg South but it didn’t happen as the Patriots combined a stubborn defense and seven Cavalier turnovers to fuel an easy 52-14 win. The big news is the return to health of quarterback Joe Young. He and a number of talented parts will have the Pats in the mix with Parkland and Easton (Liberty?) for the EPC-South crown and beyond. Nazareth (1-0) who edged Stroudsburg 49-47 is next on the road.
16. Liberty 1-0. The Canes beat AAA ranked Bethlehem Catholic easier than the 39-34 score suggests, scoring 33 first half points (33-13 lead), then holding on with Beca roaring back in the second half, outscoring Liberty 21 to 6. Combining that with last season’s year ending loss to Somerset in the quarterfinals 30-0, makes you wonder why this team is rated so high. Back to the real news, Liberty’s quarterback Doug Erney was outstanding, throwing for 306 yards and 2 Tds, supported by a ground game rushing for 208 yards. Looks like Liberty is back in the hunt. They’re home against Allen (0-1) this week.
17. Unionville 1-0. For the second straight year, Unionville opened the season with a win against unranked but bitter rival Garnet Valley 37-13, while out-distancing them 408 to 290 in total yards. They’ll need to keep the focus this week when a decent bunch from Reading come in for what should be a great game. Exeter Township (1-0) opened the season strong, defeating Boyertown 45-6. They have evidently replaced quarterback Chase Yocum and then some to manage things behind a great offensive line.
18. Ridley 1-0. The Green Raiders flexed their defensive muscles while showing a diverse offense to win impressively against the Bulls of Glen Mills, 30-0. They’ll need to ratchet that up a few notches this week taking on defending Central League champ and District-1 AAA runner up Springfield (1-0). These two old adversaries, essentially neighbors, didn’t meet last year (are you kidding me!) but are the leading contenders for the conference crown this year along with Conestoga.
19. Spring Ford 1-0. The Rams moved up from Honorable Mention after a late fourth quarter score got them past State College 28-25. State was previously ranked 8th on the West’s Top 20 with just about everyone back making it a significant win. Looks like Spring Ford’s rebuild of the O-Line went well. PAC-10 conference play begins this week at Phoenixville (0-1) who is coming off a 28-19 loss to Great Valley.
20. Council Rock South 0-1. The feeling here is that a ranking should consider a number of factors including on-field performance, not just wins and losses. Accordingly CR South enters the Top 20 following a competitive loss to 8th ranked Pennsbury 13-6. This sets the stage for a big win in their home opener this week against Bensalem (0-1) who lost at Penn Wood last week 20-0.

Honorable Mention:
Father Judge 1-0.
Beat Archbishop Ryan 20-14
Roman Catholic 0-1. Dropped from 20th to HM, losing to AA-ranked West Catholic 35-16.
Benjamin Franklin 1-0. Beat Pottsgrove 27-21
Truman 1-0. Beat Rustin 20-14
Souderton 0-1, Lost to Plymouth Whitemarsh 20-14
Plymouth Whitemarsh 1-0. Enters HM after beating Souderton 20-14
Council Rock North 0-1.Dropped from 16th to HM losing to Perk Val 56-36.
Emmaus 1-0. Beat East Stroudsburg North 49-19.
Wyoming Valley West 1-0. Beat Wyoming 42-17.

Dropped out:
Garnet Valley 0-1
, after being routed by Unionville 37-13
Haverford 0-1, after no-show against Downingtown West, 41-3
East Stroudsburg South 0-1, losing to Freedom, bad, 52-14

Skins at #4 seems a bit high to me without knowing how good Montclair actually is this year. I have them behind Dtown East, Pennsbury, and LaSalle until I see them beat a more well-known local good team.

Good hearing from you Counselor and I hear you Fletscher. I put DtE, LaSalle lower per Qb questions whereas Skins and Coatesville are set there. Pennsbury?, life without Snorweah, Delgado, entire OL rebuild but a great D core and vet Qb will play out beginning in a few vs LS. Without a returning super team (SJP last year), the difference between 1 thru 10 may just be paper thin.

You can hump your butt off all off-season but its still conjecture after all the research, however educated. As always, its far more about offering a forum for information than ego. Ok, where’s my dart board?

Reactions: lilromeo
Skins at #4 seems a bit high to me without knowing how good Montclair actually is this year. I have them behind Dtown East, Pennsbury, and LaSalle until I see them beat a more well-known local good team.
FLETCH, I agree. Every year it's the same. I would love to see another gold before I go to big Ridge in Heaven

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT