ADVERTISEMENT

Temple

SPEED&JUMP DR.

Jan 3, 2007
Now that Diaz goes back to Miami ( without coaching a game in Philadelphia) , does Infante go with him ? Is he welcome at Temple , does he go back to Prep , or maybe try to rebuild another high school program ? Any thoughts

craziness
Crazy for sure.... especially thinking on Richt's sudden retirement. All the U has to do is get someone, anyone who can keep the locals in town. But I feel Temple is forever stuck in the cycle of being a launch point stepping stone.

I would think that Infante would not be going with Diaz to Miami. He got added to the staff to recruit the hell out of southeast PA. They don't exactly need that connection at Miami (James Bryant from Reading was the last PA guy to play there maybe? And Dwayne Johnson from Freedom before that?).

I'd imagine SJP would bring him back in a heartbeat. Or the new coach at Temple would want similar recruiting connections and also would want him on staff? But he's definitely in limbo.

Shows you what a filthy business this is. Gotta think Diaz would at least offer Infante the opportunity to go. Guy just turned his life upside down for the opportunity. However moving completely away from family might not make sense. Herein lies the difference between college and Hs and why there is crazy risk and the absolute need for your family to embrace vagabond lifestyle.

I’ve said all along the thought that Infante could move from HS head coach to college head coach was insane and laughable. That’s probably still true. However the one in a hundred shot could be right here. Temple gotta be getting tired of this process. Especially exasperated by guy leaving in two weeks. If anything might generate some crazy out of box thinking this might be it. Could easily see a University president coming in naivety saying didn’t we just hire this successful Hs guy? Is he willing to work cheap and put a big poison pill in there if he tries to leave in first seven years.

Highly unlikely and an AD would go crazy but could see a non athletic business type considering this a potential solution to the stepping stone problem. When your last two guys last 2yrs and 2 weeks could be situation where business people start getting involved. Doubt it but the dots could make sense. Whomever is taking this job is taking it with a buyout provision. Hope they had one with Diaz.

filthy business? Why? kids move from public to private & back again, we like to think of it as a sport, it is a business.
As far as Infante, If he has signed a contract Temple will honor it and many times it is for more then one year so they could do a buy out.. New coach will bring his own staff. Infante just learned his first lesson. I wonder how many HS coaches feel sorry for him?

Ha ... you make it sound simply common that coaches leave within 15 days of being announced ... "just learned his first lesson" ... I wonder how many coaches in the country learned the 2 week lesson ... no one feels sorry for him, but you sound envious ... good luck, someone will eventually pick your clip board

Mercenary culture and lack of morality across the board including some at HS level. However if someone doesn’t see issues with making a commitment to a university, signing kids, hiring coaches etc, etc to say I’m gone in two weeks god bless you.

It’s today’s culture I guess. Giving your word to multiple people and immediatedly turning around and doing the opposite seems dirty to me. So yeah that’s a filthy business in my opinion where that is considered acceptable. Maybe not as filthy as playing a transfer after the PIAA playoffs start but in the same ilk. Again it’s about me, my dream job, my best chance to win no matter who gets left in the wake. Then we will turn around and preach team and family and loyalty when our actions say not any of them mean one damn thing when it comes to me advancing myself personally. Also seems like this came together awful fast in Miami. Doesn’t smell right at all.

Reactions: lilromeo and MC1975
Shows you what a filthy business this is. Gotta think Diaz would at least offer Infante the opportunity to go. Guy just turned his life upside down for the opportunity. However moving completely away from family might not make sense. Herein lies the difference between college and Hs and why there is crazy risk and the absolute need for your family to embrace vagabond lifestyle.

I’ve said all along the thought that Infante could move from HS head coach to college head coach was insane and laughable. That’s probably still true. However the one in a hundred shot could be right here. Temple gotta be getting tired of this process. Especially exasperated by guy leaving in two weeks. If anything might generate some crazy out of box thinking this might be it. Could easily see a University president coming in naivety saying didn’t we just hire this successful Hs guy? Is he willing to work cheap and put a big poison pill in there if he tries to leave in first seven years.

Highly unlikely and an AD would go crazy but could see a non athletic business type considering this a potential solution to the stepping stone problem. When your last two guys last 2yrs and 2 weeks could be situation where business people start getting involved. Doubt it but the dots could make sense. Whomever is taking this job is taking it with a buyout provision. Hope they had one with Diaz.
Filthy business? Temple isn't that bad off, their Athletic Department gets 2.5 million from Georgia Tech for Collins buy out and 4 million from Miami? 6.5 Million in less than a month? They will continue their blue print of finding the hot young coordinator from a Power 5 conference and considering where the program was 10 years ago, why not continue with that plan?
As far as Infante, to quote Hyman Roth in the Godfather 2, "This is the business we've chosen." I'm sure a big money private school would love to hire him. If he really wants to show how great of a coach he is, Truman job is still open.

Reactions: Stalker
Maybe Devlin can hire Infante to be his LB coach at Ursinus lol. Seriously, the new Temple coach should keep him for the same reason Diaz hired him. A great coach with a pulse on area recruits second to none. One way or another he'll land on his feet and be just fine. As far as Diaz going back on his word it does smell pretty bad. But on the flip-side you don't want him to just stay at Temple for the wrong reason. Better to know now than a season or (maybe) two from now. "His heart ain't in it, then cut your losses". P.S. Pettine might get the ax in Green Bay, I'd make a push for him since Temple has their mind set on a defensive coach.

I see no problem in giving the job to Infante. I understand the Jerry Faust mentality but things have changed. Even now former Temple Coach Ruhle is being looked at as the NY Jets Head Coach. Isn't that a little crazy? For God's sake, he runs a program at St. Joe that probably rivals some college programs now. He definitely has the recruiting down, no slight intended. I say give him the shot. He won't pick up and leave like the rest!!

I see no problem in giving the job to Infante. I understand the Jerry Faust mentality but things have changed. Even now former Temple Coach Ruhle is being looked at as the NY Jets Head Coach. Isn't that a little crazy? For God's sake, he runs a program at St. Joe that probably rivals some college programs now. He definitely has the recruiting down, no slight intended. I say give him the shot. He won't pick up and leave like the rest!!

The jump from FBS head coach to NFL head coach is nowhere near the same as HS head coach to FBS head coach. The new Temple coach should seriously consider keeping him on staff. If he doesn't stay at Temple, he will have his pick of any HS job he wants.

Reactions: Soup13
The jump from FBS head coach to NFL head coach is nowhere near the same as HS head coach to FBS head coach. The new Temple coach should seriously consider keeping him on staff. If he doesn't stay at Temple, he will have his pick of any HS job he wants.

I think the jump from college to pros would be tougher. You no longer have control over grown men as you did with college players. Plus, it's not like coaching is rocket science. Not to belittle coaching.....but it's coaching and communicating. And Gabe does that!!

Temple is a challenge for reasons mentioned on multiple threads over the years. And yes, that jump is unheard of, however, under the circumstances, if any HS coach can do it, it's him. He is very charismatic and knows the game and adapts within the evolution of the game. I know, I know, he had talent at SJP, but he gets everything out of those players and they love him. I had a friend with a very successful son who played at another school and was invited to Markward awards. Infante was given an award and said a few words. This dad was taken back and said he was impressed at his humility. I wouldn't be surprised if Gabe hasn't broached the subject directly. Longer is goes without a HC, the better the option it may be. We'll see?

Reactions: Soup13
Temple is a challenge for reasons mentioned on multiple threads over the years. And yes, that jump is unheard of, however, under the circumstances, if any HS coach can do it, it's him. He is very charismatic and knows the game and adapts within the evolution of the game. I know, I know, he had talent at SJP, but he gets everything out of those players and they love him. I had a friend with a very successful son who played at another school and was invited to Markward awards. Infante was given an award and said a few words. This dad was taken back and said he was impressed at his humility. I wouldn't be surprised if Gabe hasn't broached the subject directly. Longer is goes without a HC, the better the option it may be. We'll see?
No doubt Infante and his players at the Prep have related to one another very well and his success has been obvious. My question is whether he and college athletes would relate to one another nearly as well. What works with 15-17 year olds and what works with 18-22 year olds are often different. And with a much bigger operation to run and the kind of time and travel necessary to do the required recruiting Infante would have a very hard time communicating directly with his Temple players as much as he communicated with his Prep players.

I understand his reasons for accepting the job he was offered a few weeks ago. He's at the right age to make the move; wait a few years and he'd be too old to move into the college realm with enough time to advance in it. He also doesn't have move his family. And he's leaving the Prep on a high and without any chance anyone can say he's leaving his successor with an empty cupboard. Good luck to him.

Infante maybe a good recruiter in HS. where few schools recruit. Everyone recruits in college and selling Temple is not easy. Selling SJP over say a Phila. pub school is not the same as selling Temple vs. PSU. or ND. See how he does after the 3 year contract runs out.

Infante maybe a good recruiter in HS. where few schools recruit. Everyone recruits in college and selling Temple is not easy. Selling SJP over say a Phila. pub school is not the same as selling Temple vs. PSU. or ND. See how he does after the 3 year contract runs out.

You sound like someone who has never met or sat down and had a conversation with Coach Infante. He will do very well recruiting at Temple. He is a huge asset to that staff going forward.

High school isn't college. There are lots of great recruiters in college. Check back in 3 years.

New to the board. Hope all is well. Anyone think that the main reason Infante was brought on in the first place was the relationship hes got with Preps qb? Theres rules in college where you cannot recruit players of coaches that have been hired unless that coach had been given a full time role. you see this a lot down south to try and lure the player to the school. I have no doubt that he will be fine as a position coach and also as a recruiter in the area. Personally I think this will bold well for the Owls.

Reactions: Bighead75
New to the board. Hope all is well. Anyone think that the main reason Infante was brought on in the first place was the relationship hes got with Preps qb? Theres rules in college where you cannot recruit players of coaches that have been hired unless that coach had been given a full time role. you see this a lot down south to try and lure the player to the school. I have no doubt that he will be fine as a position coach and also as a recruiter in the area. Personally I think this will bold well for the Owls.
I don't think it was even a secondary reason Temple hired Infante. There's little or no chance McCord will go to Temple. Temple won't get to where they want to be with just area guys; on the other hand they need to do a better job of recruiting locally if they're going to be consistently much better. And Infante can help them do that. He's also a really good coach--not just a recruiter.

ADVERTISEMENT