ADVERTISEMENT

St. Joseph's Prep 2020 vs. _________

You appear the be an ECP guy, that’s fine and these debates are fun, but you seem to have an axe to grind on this as you’ve doubled and tripled down. SJP 2020 would win 9.5 out of 10 games against all above mentioned teams.
I'm not an ecp guy but just a big piaa football fan. I am unbias but I love these debates and they are fun. It's also hard to say with that sjp team because they didn't play anyone last year. The best team they played was a medicore la salle team. There's no measuring stick to base them off of. I'm not going to argue that they didn't have a ton of talent though.

Reactions: solfootballfan
I'm not an ecp guy but just a big piaa football fan. I am unbias but I love these debates and they are fun. It's also hard to say with that sjp team because they didn't play anyone last year. The best team they played was a medicore la salle team. There's no measuring stick to base them off of. I'm not going to argue that they didn't have a ton of talent though.
I think we all understand what made last year unique. but if you're saying a mediocre LaSalle team was the best team SJP beat last year, what are you saying about District 1 champion Souderton and Central York which was undefeated entering the state championship game and that had won most of its games by very wide margins? If, following your characterization, they were less than mediocre, what does that say about PA football?

I did look it up. One lineman weighed in at 250. All the rest below and one was 225. Big for 1992. And I really don't see a downside with McCord vs. Powlus (2890 yards vs 3000) I mean he is going to Ohio Stat

I think we all understand what made last year unique. but if you're saying a mediocre LaSalle team was the best team SJP beat last year, what are you saying about District 1 champion Souderton and Central York which was undefeated entering the state championship game and that had won most of its games by very wide margins? If, following your characterization, they were less than mediocre, what does that say about PA football?
District 1 has been down for some years now. Souderton and central York were just good high school football teams not outstanding. It wasn't like when ecp played those cb west teams or pine Richland played sjp. They played central York. IMO the last time district one had a great team was the 2016 north Penn team.

I did look it up. One lineman weighed in at 250. All the rest below and one was 225. Big for 1992. And I really don't see a downside with McCord vs. Powlus (2890 yards vs 3000) I mean he is going to Ohio Stat

District 1 has been down for some years now. Souderton and central York were just good high school football teams not outstanding. It wasn't like when ecp played those cb west teams or pine Richland played sjp. They played central york. IMO the last time district one had a great team was 2016 north Penn.

OK but I understand "good" teams to be better than "mediocre" ones.

OK but I understand "good" teams to be better than "mediocre" ones.
Ok mediocre wasn't a good word to use but my point was they didn't play another great team. There was no out of state competition on thier schedule and they played a good not great central York team. There's no measuring stick. I would of loved to see them play thier 2019 schedule and see what they would of done.

Ok mediocre wasn't a good word to use but my point was they didn't play another great team. There was no out of state competition on thier schedule and they played a good not great central York team. There's no measuring stick. I would of loved to see them play thier 2019 schedule and see what they would of done.
We'll never know how they would have done. That's the long and the short of it and what gave rise to this long thread. The most impressive thing about the 2019 team was how, when everything seemed about to crumble in the game against PCC they pulled the win out of the ha5th.t without McCord and Trotter (and Rightley and, for most of the game, Leneghan).

I agree with those who say you can't really compare teams from different eras. When I played decades ago at least half the linemen were under 200 pounds, there was no weight room, and practice began August 15th.

You are thinking of the 2016 Imhotep ecp game. 2017 ecp didn't struggle with Imhotep. Ecp was never in danger nor did Imhotep ever have a chance to win that game at the end. I'm taking ecp all day. Joe mishler qb 4a player of the year and went on to play at Miami of Ohio, bo Bauer's Notre Dame lb, Juice Scruggs OT Penn state, terry Roberts Iowa, billy Lucas Duequesne and set the rushing record in a state championship game, Anthony bolden naval academy, Chris Oliver bowling green ect... Only common opponent for PR and ecp that year was pcc. Pr beat them 47-17 and ecp beat the 40-7. I'm taking ecp in this one. They were the best team in the state that year. Not to mention the class after this one won a state championship as well to three peat.
Are you aware that st Joe Preps team last year had 9 Division 1 seniors 1 Division 2 Senior and so far 7 Division 1 underclassmen on that team. They include Clemson,Ohio State, Duke, Temple,South Carolina,Penn .Harvard Penn State [3 underclassmen offers] and many more high end offers. Bottom line is the Prep would not have been beaten by anyone in Pa. Listen ,I root for ECP , but they would not compare with that specific team. BTW ,I have the names of the players if anyone wants them. I was too lazy to type all of them LOL.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
The 2019 game was IMO the best chance the west had to beat SJP until 2023. PCC could be loaded at skill that year and have a 4 year starter at QB.

I believe - and correct me if I’m wrong - but PR is the only PA public school, and only the second overall with Lasalle in 2015 - to beat SJP since their run began in 2013 ???

I thought NP beat them but that was the year before Coach Gabe got them rolling???

The 2019 game was IMO the best chance the west had to beat SJP until 2023. PCC could be loaded at skill that year and have a 4 year starter at QB.

I believe - and correct me if I’m wrong - but PR is the only PA public school, and only the second overall with Lasalle in 2015 - to beat SJP since their run began in 2013 ???

I thought NP beat them but that was the year before Coach Gabe got them rolling???
SJP lost to NP in 2010. SJP beat them in 2011 and then they didn't play one another till 2016.

SJP lost to Marietta (GA) and IMG in 2019. I think they would have beaten Marietta later in the season. It was Roken's first game as HC.

SJP lost not just to LaSalle in 2015 but to Malvern and Bosco that year. In 2014 they lost to St. Ignatius, Bosco, and St. Joe's Montvale early in the year but really turned it around after those early losses.

Reactions: lilromeo and new2pa
I did look it up. One lineman weighed in at 250. All the rest below and one was 225. Big for 1992. And I really don't see a downside with McCord vs. Powlus (2890 yards vs 3000) I mean he is going to Ohio State!!
Another thing....those big pads exaggerated things to the absurd when looking at film, oversizing everyone. Actually not all that long ago with some still using the big pads in the 1990s. I sure liked how I looked in them!
Bottom line, it makes you do your home work as you did to find size/weight rather than guessing looking at photos/film.

We'll never know how they would have done. That's the long and the short of it and what gave rise to this long thread. The most impressive thing about the 2019 team was how, when everything seemed about to crumble in the game against PCC they pulled the win out of the ha5th.t without McCord and Trotter (and Rightley and, for most of the game, Leneghan).

I agree with those who say you can't really compare teams from different eras. When I played decades ago at least half the linemen were under 200 pounds, there was no weight room, and practice began August 15th.
That's what makes good teams great. They find ways to win. Especially with their top guys out.

fletch - I was surprised as well, unfortunately, due to circumstances, not much visibility. I have been told that he is more athletic but needs to learn the speed of the game and patience, he’s young and tends to overplay. Apparently, he may be as good or better? Time will tell.
The younger brother Josiah could end up being better than Jeremiah IMP

I know sjp just reloads every year and never has a down year but how is next year's team going to be? They took a big hit with losing the big 3.
might be running more this year which won't be a issue and still the team to beat in 6A

I know sjp just reloads every year and never has a down year but how is next year's team going to be? They took a big hit with losing the big 3.
Two of my posts from earlier this year. are below. One thing that's happened since the later one (the second one below) is that they've picked up an apparently very promising defensive lineman named Heard. They also have some more promising sophs (e.g. running back David Washington) than I realized. Yesterday, Keenan Nelson committed to South Carolina (disappointing PSU).
--------------------

From January

Obviously harder than usual to say much about next year. Clearly, there will be a whole let let firepower on offense. I know nothing about how Barlow is recovering from the injury he suffered in the first game in October, but he and Bunch could lead a pretty good running game since they also return 3 or 4 starters on the O-line, including Brad Harris who has started for two years. Maurice Clark, returning receiver, would probably have been the #1 receiver on most teams last year. I don't know if Picariello, who took quite a number of snaps the last couple of years, is the only returning QB with varsity experience. He almost never threw the ball, so I don't know how he will be as a passer. I heard there was a promising freshman QB, but I know nothing more than that.

On defense, I expect the younger Trotter to have a big year, and Keenan Nelson will be back to anchor the defensive backfield. They've got a number of other guys (Leneghan, Klick, Dumond, Doyle, etc.) who showed themselves as very capable on defense. So it should be a solid defense.

Anthony Chadha returns for his last year as the kicker.

What we know about who's returning for LaSalle and who's not returning for SJP as well as the freshman and JV games of the last couple of years would suggest that there won't be anything like the kind of blowouts we've seen in the last couple of years. But the pandemic makes everything more uncertain than usual. Certainly I don't expect the Prep to be travelling as they usually do early in the season.
---------------
From the spring:
On the fact of it, it looks like a somewhat less ambitious non-league schedule than they played in 2019 (Marietta, St. Johh's, and IMG) and had scheduled last year (away in Texas and at St. John's, home to Bosco, and one other tough one I'm forgetting). As far as I know, St. Mary Ryken and Gonzaga had their seasons cancelled last year because of COVID.

I think I wrote a long post back in Dec. or Jan. and who's coming back. If I find it I'll post it again, but off the top of my head I know Josiah Trotter will be back--as will most of the offensive line, including Brad Harris starting for the 3rd year. Maurice Clark would have been a star receiver on any other team last year--he'll be back. Omillio Agard, a soph next year, has already got a ton of offers from the likes of LSU. The kicker, Chadha, is back for another year. Apparently a very promising QB is coming in as a frosh. Last year's backup, Picariello, is also back. Obviously, they lost a lot. I actually see LaSalle as #2 rather than Wood.

Are you aware that st Joe Preps team last year had 9 Division 1 seniors 1 Division 2 Senior and so far 7 Division 1 underclassmen on that team. They include Clemson,Ohio State, Duke, Temple,South Carolina,Penn .Harvard Penn State [3 underclassmen offers] and many more high end offers. Bottom line is the Prep would not have been beaten by anyone in Pa. Listen ,I root for ECP , but they would not compare with that specific team. BTW ,I have the names of the players if anyone wants them. I was too lazy to type all of them LOL.

When I started this I was only looking at 4A/6A teams, but I don’t think the 2017 ECP suggestion is as ridiculous as it’s being made out to be. I had to fill some gaps, but here’s their lineup (I’m on my phone, so the formatting might br

QB: Joe MIschler (Sr. 6’0 190; Ohio Univeristy/Duquesne): 161-251, 3,255 yards, 38 TDs, 6 INTs
RB: Billy Lucas (Jr. 6’0 190; Duquesne): 134 carries, 1,095 yards, 22 TDs
RB: Matt Lupo (John Carroll): 123 carries, 884 yards, 14 TDs
WR: Terry Roberts (Sr. 5’11 165; Iowa): 42 catches, 1,236 yards, 16 TDs
WR: Tyler Oedekoven (Sr. 6’2 165; Albany): 42 catches, 1,192 yards, 9 TDs
WR: Henry Fessler (Penn State - PWO)
WR: Adam Malesiewski (Sr. 6’0 180)
OL: Juice Scruggs (Sr. 6’4 275; Penn State)
OL: Chris Oliver (Jr. 6’4 295; Bowling Green)
OL: Chris Smith (Sr. 6’2 235; Penn State - baseball)
OL: Matt Carr (Sr. 6’3 285; Slippery Rock)
OL: Kawaun DeBoe (Jr. 6’3 290; Notre Dame (OH) - wrestling)
Defense
DL: Juice Scruggs (Sr. 6’4 275; Penn State)
DL: Will Burns (Sr. 6’3 255; Kent State)
DL: Chris Smith (Sr. 6’2 235; Penn State - baseball)
LB: Bo Bauer (Sr. 6’3 215; Notre Dame)
LB: Hunter Orlando (Sr. 6’1 195; John Carroll)
LB: Ryan Sargeant (Sr. 6’0 205)
DB: Terry Roberts (Sr. 5’11 165; Iowa)
DB: Anthony Bolden (Sr. 6’1 180; Navy)
DB: Billy Lucas (Jr. 6’0 190; Duquesne)
DB: Matt Lupo (Sr. 5’9 195; John Carroll)
DB: Amory Coleman-Reeves (Sr. 5’11 170)

It’s not quite the SJP firepower, but you’ve got Penn State, Notre Dame, and Iowa, plus Navy, Bowling Green, and Kent State as group of 5 players and Duquesne and Albany for FCS. Scruggs and Bauer were four stars and have been contributors at Penn State and Notre Dame and should start this year, and as should Roberts at Iowa. Lucas was a national rookie of the year finalist last year for Duquesne, and Mischler was fifth in the country in QB rating last year - so pretty high end FCS players.

The team has FCS guys plus Roberts at the skills spots on offense, a massive offensive line with two FBS kids, a Division II lineman, a Big Ten pitcher who could have played college football, and the state champ and a national wresting recruit at heavyweight. They’d at least challenge the SJP defense. And defensively, your big time talents are at nose guard, middle linebacker, and corner. The front three is huge and talented, Bauer behind it is as good a linebacker as we’ve had this decade, and you’ve got a couple FBS kids plus Lucas in the secondary.

I don’t think they’d win, but this is closer than some of the other ones.

I mean, part of what happened is Harrisburg and Pittsburgh Central Catholic had to forfeit out of the tournament, the District 1 playoffs got totally jacked up by only four teams qualifying, District 11 didn’t even participate. Hats off to Souderton and Central York for beating the teams in front of them, but I don’t think in a regular year you’d see them in the state final four. Not that it would have mattered, SJP would have embarrassed all of the other teams I listed, but you have to take a lot of last seasons final results with a grain of salt.

Reactions: bucksftball
I mean, part of what happened is Harrisburg and Pittsburgh Central Catholic had to forfeit out of the tournament, the District 1 playoffs got totally jacked up by only four teams qualifying, District 11 didn’t even participate. Hats off to Souderton and Central York for beating the teams in front of them, but I don’t think in a regular year you’d see them in the state final four. Not that it would have mattered, SJP would have embarrassed all of the other teams I listed, but you have to take a lot of last seasons final results with a grain of salt.
I agree with you

All the teams that won titles probably still would of won but I do agree that most the teams they were playing wouldn't of been there. Look at ecp they played one game and was in the championship.

When I started this I was only looking at 4A/6A teams, but I don’t think the 2017 ECP suggestion is as ridiculous as it’s being made out to be. I had to fill some gaps, but here’s their lineup (I’m on my phone, so the formatting might br

QB: Joe MIschler (Sr. 6’0 190; Ohio Univeristy/Duquesne): 161-251, 3,255 yards, 38 TDs, 6 INTs
Defense

It’s not quite the SJP firepower, but you’ve got Penn State, Notre Dame, and Iowa, plus Navy, Bowling Green, and Kent State as group of 5 players and Duquesne and Albany for FCS. Scruggs and Bauer were four stars and have been contributors at Penn State and Notre Dame and should start this year, and as should Roberts at Iowa. Lucas was a national rookie of the year finalist last year for Duquesne, and Mischler was fifth in the country in QB rating last year - so pretty high end FCS players.

The team has FCS guys plus Roberts at the skills spots on offense, a massive offensive line with two FBS kids, a Division II lineman, a Big Ten pitcher who could have played college football, and the state champ and a national wresting recruit at heavyweight. They’d at least challenge the SJP defense. And defensively, your big time talents are at nose guard, middle linebacker, and corner. The front three is huge and talented, Bauer behind it is as good a linebacker as we’ve had this decade, and you’ve got a couple FBS kids plus Lucas in the secondary.

I wasn't saying they would win but I thought they could complete with them. I think the 2017 team was every bit as talented as thier 2000 team. They were definitely loaded and would of paid to see that game. 2017 was also imo one of the most talented years for pa football. You had Manheim township, coatsville, ecp, Imhotep, sjp, Harrisburg, pine Richland, southern Columbia, wood, ect... The only other year I can think of with this many talented teams was 1999. Always love your breakdowns rover.

Last edited:

Defense

I wasn't saying they would win but that I thought they could complete with them. I think the 2017 team was every bit as talented as thier 2000 team. They were definitely loaded and would of paid to see that game. 2017 was also imo one of the most talented years for pa football. You had Manheim township, coatsville, ecp, Imhotep, sjp, Harrisburg, pine Richland, southern Columbia, wood, ect. The only other year I can think of with this many talented teams was 1999. Always love your breakdowns rover.

Last edited:
Comparing SJP to other public school teams in PA is absurd! Of course SJP "would have embarrassed all of the other teams...etc". They're a National team. No public school should ever be measured against SJP or IMG or the private school monsters of the world....in any year. Anomalies?....sure, about every 10+ years like Pine. Otherwise, why would you do that, anymore than you'd compare 12 cylinders to 4?

Reactions: new2pa and HSFB99
Comparing SJP to other public school teams in PA is absurd! Of course SJP "would have embarrassed all of the other teams...etc". They're a National team. No public school should ever be measured against SJP or IMG or the private school monsters of the world....in any year. Anomalies?....sure, about every 10+ years like Pine. Otherwise, why would you do that, anymore than you'd compare 12 cylinders to 4?
Stalker,

I get your point, but SJP is as unlike IMG as Central York and Souderton are unlike SJP. IMG takes players from across the country, houses them in hotels / dormitories , is not part of a league, and really has no attachment to a particular area. There are also differences in academics.

The Philly area is unlike just about any other in that it has a league of mostly non-Catholic private schools (the Inter-Ac) that's been fairly aggressive in building football programs, though you wonder if they can continue given the limits they place on themselves. Most seem also to have pulled back some in their basketball programs in the last several years. I'm also quite interested in what happens with the football programs at LaSalle, Roman, and Wood--not to mention NG. So many factors at play--including Covid fall-out which could reduce the pool of players in a year or two.

Reactions: Aragorn
Stalker,

I get your point, but SJP is as unlike IMG as Central York and Souderton are unlike SJP. IMG takes players from across the country, houses them in hotels / dormitories , is not part of a league, and really has no attachment to a particular area. There are also differences in academics.

The Philly area is unlike just about any other in that it has a league of mostly non-Catholic private schools (the Inter-Ac) that's been fairly aggressive in building football programs, though you wonder if they can continue given the limits they place on themselves. Most seem also to have pulled back some in their basketball programs in the last several years. I'm also quite interested in what happens with the football programs at LaSalle, Roman, and Wood--not to mention NG. So many factors at play--including Covid fall-out which could reduce the pool of players in a year or two.
I think what makes sjp different from other private schools and makes them similar to img is they never have to rebuild or have down years.

Last edited:
Stalker,

I realize IMG is unique unto itself. And I hope the board knows I wasn't trying to demean SJP's program. But after all the talk on this topic it borders on the outlandish that anyone would in any way compare SJP to any public school in PA, anymore than you would compare NFL football to College ball or College to High School. The difference, dynamic, gulf etc is that stark.
I'm not agitating to get into "recruiting". I'm talking about the product that's on the field. X vs Y. And the product called St. Joseph's Prep is unlike ANY public school team in Pennsylvania.

But you can
compare them to WCAC teams, DeMatha, Zaga, SJ, OLGC, Cal teams Mater Dei, SJ Bosco etc; North Jersey privates, FL powers STA, even public school behemoth Lakeland, Tex, Ohio and more.

Adding a team of SJP's unique caliber to the playoff mix makes other teams look weak. But I think it's a gross distortion of those teams when held up to that kind of comparison.
** In 2018 a good Harrisburg (13-2) team with a exciting Qb beat Wilson, Central Dauphin and Coatesville to get to SJP and lose 40-20.
** In 2019, CD (12-3) beat Downingtown (13-2) 65-44. before losing to SJP 35-13.
** In 2020 Central York (10-1) tore thru everybody before being humbled by SJ 62-13.
All of these teams were fine public school football teams. In any other reality, these would be considered worthy state champs....had they not played SJP.
Will close by saying in my view you can't use outcomes verses St. Joe's as a measurement or broad overarching statement about Pennsylvania Football as some try to do.

I realize IMG is unique unto itself. And I hope the board knows I wasn't trying to demean SJP's program. But after all the talk on this topic it borders on the outlandish that anyone would in any way compare SJP to any public school in PA, anymore than you would compare NFL football to College ball or College to High School. The difference, dynamic, gulf etc is that stark.
I'm not agitating to get into "recruiting". I'm talking about the product that's on the field. X vs Y. And the product called St. Joseph's Prep is unlike ANY public school team in Pennsylvania.

But you can
compare them to WCAC teams, DeMatha, Zaga, SJ, OLGC, Cal teams Mater Dei, SJ Bosco etc; North Jersey privates, FL powers STA, even public school behemoth Lakeland, Tex, Ohio and more.

Adding a team of SJP's unique caliber to the playoff mix makes other teams look weak. But I think it's a gross distortion of those teams when held up to that kind of comparison.
** In 2018 a good Harrisburg (13-2) team with a exciting Qb beat Wilson, Central Dauphin and Coatesville to get to SJP and lose 40-20.
** In 2019, CD (12-3) beat Downingtown (13-2) 65-44. before losing to SJP 35-13.
** In 2020 Central York (10-1) tore thru everybody before being humbled by SJ 62-13.
All of these teams were fine public school football teams. In any other reality, these would be considered worthy state champs....had they not played SJP.
Will close by saying in my view you can't use outcomes verses St. Joe's as a measurement or broad overarching statement about Pennsylvania Football as some try to do.
Stalker,

I don't disagree with anything you said and I don't want to diminish anything any of the public schools that have played SJP in the state playoffs in recent years have accomplished.

One side note: Coatesville was in a very good position to beat SJP in 2017 and may well have been very competitive in the final against SJP in 2018. Were they looking past Harrisburg?

Many people on here who know a lot more than I do about Districts 1 and 11 have said they have been down in recent years. True?

Most of these teams where just out coached by SJP. Also IMG has a lot of 5th year seniors unlike Prep

Reactions: Stalker
Big,

SJP has a great coaching staff, but you have to recognize the huge talent difference between SJP and CY, Souderton, etc.
Everyone gets out coached when you have that kind of talent on the field. You could switch coaches staffs from sjp and those other teams and I bet you the outcome doesn't change any.

Everyone gets out coached when you have that kind of talent on the field. You could switch coaches staffs from sjp and those other teams and I bet you the outcome doesn't change any.
Two Points: First, however good the talent, it doesn't win entirely by itself. SJP coaches also do a really good job with the majority of their players who don't have D1 talent. Second, coaching a high-profile program with lots of talented players brings its own challenges. I'm not saying they're greater than the challenges of coaching a team with little talent and low expectations / support, but they're not easy ones.

Big,

SJP has a great coaching staff, but you have to recognize the huge talent difference between SJP and CY, Souderton, etc.
Tulla, True most games it really doesn't matter who's coaching because of the talent difference. I also have seen and few games in past years where teams had SJP on the ropes but, ended up losing because of coaching decisions made during the game.

Reactions: lilromeo
End of the day we're all fighting for our own piece of turf, sports and military more obviously....but also other areas of life.
But it does matters how you prepare to handle this week's opponent and challenges. And whether that's your coach or team leader, that is a HUGE part of it.

Leadership must always map out the mission. Then it's up to you dealing with what's across from you, within the context of the team.

Two Points: First, however good the talent, it doesn't win entirely by itself. SJP coaches also do a really good job with the majority of their players who don't have D1 talent. Second, coaching a high-profile program with lots of talented players brings its own challenges. I'm not saying they're greater than the challenges of coaching a team with little talent and low expectations / support, but they're not easy ones.
I think they have a good coaching staff who does a great job but I disagree when people say they out coached those other teams. They didn't out coach central York they were just a way superior team. They were out talented.

I think they have a good coaching staff who does a great job but I disagree when people say they out coached those other teams. They didn't out coach central York they were just a way superior team. They were out talented.
You're making my point. When a team like SJP wins, it's put down to their talent (and recruiting). When they lose, it's often put down to the other team's coaching being better. I did a bit of it myself when I said in a post above when I suggested the loss to Marietta was at least partly a result of its being Roken's first game. (His decision, a bad one, to go into a power formation and run up the middle from about the 6 yard line after Leneghan's INT got questioned on national TV. He also made good decisions that game but they don't get remembered because SJP lost.)

I agree the Prep had too much talent for Central York and many other teams ,but they surely outcoached several others . They are so well disciplined in what they do year after year . Its a combination of talent and coaching that makes that engine go .

Reactions: Bighead75
I agree the Prep had too much talent for Central York and many other teams ,but they surely outcoached several others . They are so well disciplined in what they do year after year . Its a combination of talent and coaching that makes that engine go .
They are disciplined, they don't make a lot of silly penalties, and they don't shoot themselves in the foot. I do contribute that to good coaching but neither did central York. I could say img out coached sjp then.

They are disciplined, they don't make a lot of silly penalties, and they don't shoot themselves in the foot. I do contribute that to good coaching but neither did central York. I could say img out coached sjp then.
No, IMG had more talent.

Stalker,

I don't disagree with anything you said and I don't want to diminish anything any of the public schools that have played SJP in the state playoffs in recent years have accomplished.

One side note: Coatesville was in a very good position to beat SJP in 2017 and may well have been very competitive in the final against SJP in 2018. Were they looking past Harrisburg?

Many people on here who know a lot more than I do about Districts 1 and 11 have said they have been down in recent years. True?
Tulla, getting back late but I don't think Coatesville looked past Harrisburg in 2018. Coach Ortega is too good to allow that. But I do think it was a big surprise how much they improved since destroying them in the opener 37-6.
What Harrisburg did was to take away a lot of their game by spying Qb Ortega, denying him any running room. Andre White Jr (doing well at Tex AM) and company who was a super LB held him to 26 or so yards rushing. 27-24 is a nasty tight game for two offensive juggernauts featuring terrific hitting in a violent game that was not indicative of an "overlook". They were popping each other. Nice team, thought they'd do more against Hawks.
I'll try to get back to you in another post on FB being down in Dist 3.

ADVERTISEMENT