ADVERTISEMENT

St Joe Prep Schedule

Relayer

Jun 18, 2001
Prep already has St. Peter's Prep on September 8th.

Rick O'Brien posted they will open up against Baltimore's St. Frances Academy who finished 3rd in the country.

Reactions: lilromeo
Prep already has St Peter's Prep on September 8th.

Rick O'Brien posted they will open up against Baltimore's St. Frances Academy who finished 3rd in the country.

Relayer,I watched St. Francis last year and IMO were the best team ive seen in years. The Prep will have to be flawless in order to compete with these guys.

Reactions: Relayer
I love seeing teams in our area take on some of the national powers. It's a great barometer for PA football. I wonder if this game will be televised; has anyone seen any mention of that?

Not sure if the date is right on the SFA game - SJP usually scrimmages Bergen and SJR, with the second scrimmage being in Week 0. Regardless, I've heard the St. Peter's game will be on ESPN and there's chatter that the SFA game will be also. Great opportunities for SJP but I agree with lilromeo - they had best be at their best. I saw that Good Counsel comes north to play SJP for game three, and I believe they play LaSalle game four, which in my opinion is a favor to LS from the scheduling gods given what SJP will have to expend in the weeks prior - should make for an interesting blood feud.

I'm with HSFballFan19 about seeing PA teams go out and play heavyweights (though I'd like to think other states look at some of the programs here and consider us the heavyweights...). Wood plays Bergen, P-R is playing IMG, Imhotep is part of that Rutgers weekend. Hell, I've heard that Archbishop Carroll - yes, Carroll, is hosting a team from north Jersey (Seton Hall Prep, maybe?).

That was a unique season for SFA in a conference typically dominated by Gilman and McDonogh….Spalding and Curley back in the day. Something of an anomaly last year but they did go 10-2 the preceding year following 3 losing seasons. They were bumped from C to A Conf in the MIAA after a 9-0 year in 2012. Most of the Gilman staff (13) moved to SFA plus a former DeMatha HC when Coach Biff Poggi left last year (2016) and what a turnaround going 10-2. 20 players transferred in. With a staff like that they’ll likely load up on the area’s talent on a consistent basis.

Return a lot to offense, Qb, RBs, one of top ILBs in nation in Shane Lee, lose DE Eyaloi Anoma (6-5, 230, Alabama).

Franklinfield2, Could you provide some insight on the Preps team this year? I know they lost some very good players to graduation. Thanks
lil, I hope you're well.

Franklinfield and BTM know a lot more than I do about next year's Prep team, but since neither has yet responded I'll just say that while it is obviously true that SJP is losing a lot of good players to graduation (especially on the defensive side) they've got lots of reasons to feel very good about next year. I expect the offense to be better, maybe much better, with most of the line and all the backfield except the QB returning. And there's a very good chance they will be better at QB with Duell (who played a fair bit last year) and Kyle McCord looking like maybe the best HS QB to come along in the PCL in a very long time. Yes, he's a freshman now, but he looks like the real thing from the tape I've seen. He's also got offers already from Michigan, BC, Syracuse, WVA, etc.

A couple of points about the defense. Myles Talley missed a good bit of last year, including the state championship game and I think the semi-final too, but if he stays healthy he can be huge. It also looks like Trotter is getting bigger and no doubt he'll be better as a soph. Liam Johnson and Cooper Kim were good LBs last year, They'll be even better next year. The question mark will be the line.

lil, I hope you're well.

Franklinfield and BTM know a lot more than I do about next year's Prep team, but since neither has yet responded I'll just say that while it is obviously true that SJP is losing a lot of good players to graduation (especially on the defensive side) they've got lots of reasons to feel very good about next year. I expect the offense to be better, maybe much better, with most of the line and all the backfield except the QB returning. And there's a very good chance they will be better at QB with Duell (who played a fair bit last year) and Kyle McCord looking like maybe the best HS QB to come along in the PCL in a very long time. Yes, he's a freshman now, but he looks like the real thing from the tape I've seen. He's also got offers already from Michigan, BC, Syracuse, WVA, etc.

A couple of points about the defense. Myles Talley missed a good bit of last year, including the state championship game and I think the semi-final too, but if he stays healthy he can be huge. It also looks like Trotter is getting bigger and no doubt he'll be better as a soph. Liam Johnson and Cooper Kim were good LBs last year, They'll be even better next year. The question mark will be the line.
Tulla is pretty much spot on. QB will be McCord, both RB's are back, 4 of 5 OL are back, WR's should be better than last year. DL will be the question. DL coach for SJP is as good as any in area, he will make do with whomever he has. SJP will be right there! Early schedule will prepare them for season

By end of year it will be said this may be preps most talented team. More talented than Swift's year. Duell has already transferred back to NJ. He is going to be really really good. McCord looks like Shurmer type of player but honestly better. Agreed that early on they may not look as impressive, that schedule will harden then up quick.

Pretty bizarre article on St Frances Academy. The coach is what's wrong with high school athletics. He brings in kids from all over and pays for their tuition out of his pocket. Several schools have dropped them from the schedule. Are they still on Prep's schedule?

https://deadspin.com/ugly-schoolboy-football-feud-leaves-baltimore-powerhous-1826643671

I guess that’s good for the MIAA with SFA going IMG on em. Sun article said they have a tentative schedule against CT, FL, OH, NY, VA and Canada teams. No mention of PA teams?

SJP is still left with a tough schedule and OLGC of MIAA who always has a representative team.

Also….Wood plays Spalding of same and they have a lot of bodies back, 2 Qbs, 2 Rbs, DT Jahmeer Carter (6-3.5 288), bunch of Lbs and Dbs. Allowed 27ppg with 37 coming against OLGC and 42 v SFA in losses, 58 v Gilman in a 76-58 win! That would have been fun to see.

Franklinfield2, Could you provide some insight on the Preps team this year? I know they lost some very good players to graduation. Thanks
Sorry for the delay, Lil. I am no longer around as my son graduated. I defer to BTM for all things Prep-related. I do have a son starting there in the Fall but he is not a football player. I plan on attending some games this year (and the three years to follow), however.

ADVERTISEMENT