ADVERTISEMENT

St. Joe/La Salle

Well, considering how La Salle took care of McDonagh and the Prep being the Prep this weekend's game looks like a must see. Franklin Field. Crisp fall afternoon. Two teams that have something to prove (more La Salle than Prep). Defense could rule the day with Steinmetz working it. Get your popcorn!!
Should be a good one. Defense should rule the day. Points won’t come easy. SJP is pretty young in a number of positions and experience could play a big roll. Finally in a venue that makes sense.

Maybe I am a bit pessimistic about Lasalles chances, but I predict SJP by 21+. SJP’s defense is stellar. I think lasalle will put up some resistance against SJP’s young offense, but it’s been a long time since LaSalle was able to move the ball against SJP. I’m going to say 35-10 SJP.

Maybe I am a bit pessimistic about Lasalles chances, but I predict SJP by 21+. SJP’s defense is stellar. I think lasalle will put up some resistance against SJP’s young offense, but it’s been a long time since LaSalle was able to move the ball against SJP. I’m going to say 35-10 SJP.
You aint the only one. This is a much bigger game for La Salle. For the last few years they were an after thought against Prep. And since last season dealing with Covid is behind us, we are focusing on what is in front of us. Put it this way. This game will go a long way to answering some questions.

I agree Paul. There’s no doubt the gap has tightened a bit. What I think we may discount is how big that gap has been. I have serious concerns about Lasalles offense. SJP will be geared up for Brown. If the QB struggles, it’s going to be a long night against a swarming SJP defense. I don’t see a reasonable path to the LaSalle offense putting up more than 14 points unless their defense gets some turnovers. We shall see. Either way, I can’t wait to watch!

Reactions: Bighead75
I agree Paul. There’s no doubt the gap has tightened a bit. What I think we may discount is how big that gap has been. I have serious concerns about Lasalles offense. SJP will be geared up for Brown. If the QB struggles, it’s going to be a long night against a swarming SJP defense. I don’t see a reasonable path to the LaSalle offense putting up more than 14 points unless their defense gets some turnovers. We shall see. Either way, I can’t wait to watch!
Obviously Milton was able to score some points against SJP. From what I heard, it was the ability of their QB to evade the pass rush and run that made a big difference. SJP must have worked on that since, and from what I saw of LaSalle against Tep, their QB is not much of a run threat.

Anyone know of what the injury situation is? It seems Harris (SJP's best on the OL) was out against Gonzaga.

If there was a yr for lasalle to attack the prep. This would be it. It’ll be dark for years to come. Also consider prep was given 2 wks to prepare for this matchup coming off a bye. Banged up guys probably needed it coming off that schedule.
Lasalle beat who was in front of them so that can’t be taken lightly. Brown will need to be bigger than what he’s been in the past meetings. I don’t see lasalle having much success dropping their qb back much. Gonzaga had a mobile kid and he was sacked 10+ times. Prep offense is young really young that’s where lasalle need points to come from. Although young they haven’t turned the ball over much.

Will this game be streamed Saturday?
I saw that Bob Long who streams nearly all the LaSalle games is doing an audio only broadcast, so I'm pretty sure it will be streamed only by the company that requires a paid subscription.

What I wish is that there were a good service that charged $5-$10 per game. This business of requiring a monthly or a yearly subscription is not a good fit for people who want to see one or two high school games.

SJP-Middletown is on an ESPN channel next week.

Reactions: lilromeo
SFBN is going to stream the game for a one time 10.00 fee

Last edited:
Saturday's game vs. La Salle will be available on a Livestream but it is pay per view. Here is the process to order:
A pay-per-view video stream for this game is available by following these steps:
1) Fill out this form (https://docs.google.com/.../1FAIpQLSeB40zsu85eDQ.../viewform) by 10 am on Saturday morning (later orders may be accepted but not guaranteed.)
2) Send $10 via Venmo to @ TheSFBN
3) You will receive email confirmation when both form and payment are received
4) Link will be sent out via email closer to game time

From a neutral observer who saw LS-McD with a eye more towards McD per Dist-3 concerns, I thought LS was impressive at a number of levels. Didn't see Brown and Carter and imagine they are much more than the product I saw. But I was impressed with them, their OL in particular, Paterzo (spelling, big guy!) and some who replaced Brown. S. Davis was very impressive and Ryan Moore, hard smart runners. The FB Wentz, Lentz? nice. The D was active, everywhere and I don't think McD should be discounted just because they played a frosh Qb. He was overwhelmingly impressive to all who saw him. McD was in cover zero often (?) and had their moments and some big stops. One of LS's scores was spec team rtn'd to 12 in 2nd half. More spec teams than offense for final of 21-0. DL 52 or 53 impressed, had to double team at times.
I need to remember it was 1st game. LS's D front shut down good backs for McD and a decent OL. McD is very young but very talented, juniors, sophomores everywhere, but....very good players. They will be a different team next year at LS.
Guess I could have just said LS was impressive, OL, backs, and the D, especially 53. They look like a team that can give SJP fits. I don't know about gaps being closed or narrowed because SJ is unique as a national power that LS, Harrisburg, Mifflin others aren't. I don't know how you close the gap against a "national" team in one season.
I don't know who will win the game but am having a hard time finding a reason why LS can't, based on McD game and teams LS beat since then.

Stalk, I do not disagree with your assessment. My point is the LS offense has struggled at times (McD, Malvern, etc). SJPs defense is significantly better than those defenses. Therefore, I don’t see a path for LaSalle to score enough points to win. SJPs offense may not be perfect (young and inexperienced, yet talented), but they won’t be shut out. I don’t expect SJPs offense to put up 35 in the first half like previous years, but I do see them putting up at least 28 by the end of the game. In my view, LaSalle has no chance to score 28 unless their defense is doing the scoring (certainly possible!). Either way, good luck to both teams. I’m hoping for a great game.

From a neutral observer who saw LS-McD with a eye more towards McD per Dist-3 concerns, I thought LS was impressive at a number of levels. Didn't see Brown and Carter and imagine they are much more than the product I saw. But I was impressed with them, their OL in particular, Paterzo (spelling, big guy!) and some who replaced Brown. S. Davis was very impressive and Ryan Moore, hard smart runners. The FB Wentz, Lentz? nice. The D was active, everywhere and I don't think McD should be discounted just because they played a frosh Qb. He was overwhelmingly impressive to all who saw him. McD was in cover zero often (?) and had their moments and some big stops. One of LS's scores was spec team rtn'd to 12 in 2nd half. More spec teams than offense for final of 21-0. DL 52 or 53 impressed, had to double team at times.
I need to remember it was 1st game. LS's D front shut down good backs for McD and a decent OL. McD is very young but very talented, juniors, sophomores everywhere, but....very good players. They will be a different team next year at LS.
Guess I could have just said LS was impressive, OL, backs, and the D, especially 53. They look like a team that can give SJP fits. I don't know about gaps being closed or narrowed because SJ is unique as a national power that LS, Harrisburg, Mifflin others aren't. I don't know how you close the gap against a "national" team in one season.
I don't know who will win the game but am having a hard time finding a reason why LS can't, based on McD game and teams LS beat since then.
Stalk, In some recent years (e.g, 2019 when SJP played Marietta, St. John's, and IMG or 2018 when they played St. Frances Baltimore, Good Counsel, and St. Peter's) there may have been a real advantage in playing a "national" non-league schedule, but this year's isn't so strong (except for Milton and maybe Middletown next week). Plus, I think the whole notion of being "a national power" is often overblown. But LaSalle has done nothing against SJP's first team defense the last two years, and this year's SJP defense may be their strongest. I expect a close game.

Ok appreciate it. I don't know nearly as much as you guys, HSFB and you tulla so it's good hearing your views. Maybe I overvalue McDevitt, a district-3 bias, and underestimate their youth. If so, then by default I inflate LaSalle's capability. Admittedly it's bad handicapping not seeing SJP.
Will say what I saw way back in game #1 was two teams with great potential to be special teams. With LaSalle, I felt they could be big stuff this year and realize SJP could be even bigger stuff! As you said HSFB, good luck and health to both and all the guys that put it out there every week.

Gonzaga was a nationally ranked undefeated team at the time they played sjp. I was hoping for a better game but they made easy work of the guys from down 95. Milton was highly talented with big time players everywhere. Ryken was no contest.
I’m not a fan of Imhotep’s offense this yr. that team is carried by their defense. It’s no way they could stop lasalle anymore from what I saw.
malvern must be pretty good. Was in a dog fight with lasalle and handled wood convincingly. McDonough is a bad team I wouldn’t be surprised if they finish last in their respective conference. I think wood got the toughest team from that area in St. John’s.

Gonzaga was a nationally ranked undefeated team at the time they played sjp. I was hoping for a better game but they made easy work of the guys from down 95. Milton was highly talented with big time players everywhere. Ryken was no contest.
I’m not a fan of Imhotep’s offense this yr. that team is carried by their defense. It’s no way they could stop lasalle anymore from what I saw.
malvern must be pretty good. Was in a dog fight with lasalle and handled wood convincingly. McDonough is a bad team I wouldn’t be surprised if they finish last in their respective conference. I think wood got the toughest team from that area in St. John’s.
RCH13co19. At the risk of sounding boastful....and I'm not....I thought Gonzaga was overrated, telling tulla before the game in a post I felt SJP would win by a few or a couple scores. Point being, that factored in for me assessing LS-SJ. Hard part of handicapping is you don't know what LS-SJ team you're looking at. It's just a snapshot.
I won't pretend to say I follow them as a gang of us from southern PA used to but I keep up. We were connected to the area what was then ACC hoops with Terps, seeing some great games, plus we played some of the north Md teams, Westminster, Hagerstown.
Being 70 miles from DC we'd go see these teams, twice a year max, picking the top teams, taking the short ride to DC, see a game. A few beers, a game then try to get lucky at one of the many college watering holes. DC is one partying town!

Reactions: lilromeo and HSFB99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT