ADVERTISEMENT

Springfield 42. Ridley 7

SPEED&JUMP DR.

Jan 3, 2007
the worst performance I've seen in over 40 years of Ridley football. Unprepared ( Springfield RB had well over 200 yards and 5 tds), undisciplined ( at least 5 fumbles ), out coached , and probably the biggest indictment on the program - they quit. Either the kids quit on the coaches , or the coaches quit on the kids. Either way , I'm embarrassed for every player who ever wore a Ridley uniform.

Wonder if there will be another 745 meeting this Saturday morning. Seemed to make all the difference in the world.

Thanks Speed.
Going into the interboro game they could be 5-5 with record setting consequences on the line.
Possible First losing season in 64 years!!!!!!
Even with bad coaching, wrong offense and lack of seniors this should never happen. Seems like more going on then we know. ?????

Speed -
I agree with alot of what you said. I heard a ton of excuses and finger pointing in the stands last night. From blaming coaches to systems to schedules. On the field and the sidelines there was definitely some of that as well. the one thing that I didn't hear or see in your post that I think everyone refuses to acknowledge is that Ridley is simply not that good. All of those turnovers, missed tackles, dropped passes, and missed tackles may not be for any other reason then ability. They just might not be that good. Now the reason for lack of talent could spark a whole different discussion but you can't win a horse race without horses. Last night the better team, with the best player on the field one. It would happen if they played 10 more times. That simply is the game of football.

Speed, it's finally good to see you coming around to what some of us other Ridley people who know about what goes on have said from the beginning. This staff is flawed. The "hiring process" was a sham. The AD hand picked his guy, The Garnet Valley powers that be brought in the OC who was a garnet valley guy.

Coach Wood at least shook hands last night after the game, unlike last year.

I heard the chemistry was completely poisoned a few weeks ago when they took on a player who got throw out of another school for some really heavy accusations, and basically inserted him into the starting lineup over kids who had been there, working their tails off. Hard to win a team with that type move, especially when advertisity hits.

A Ridley poster (who I forget) once posted that at worst, Ridley should never lose to Springfield, Marple, etc. Times they are a changing.

Def: I was never on board with the coaching staff-more of the selection process than anything-but was willing to give the new coach and new offense a chance. He lost me last night. Not only did they bring the new kid in and start him a t MLB, but in the biggest play of the game, when it was only 7-0, Ridley had a 4th and less than a foot and they brought the new kid in and ran a play they never run all year and he gets stopped for 3 yard loss. Springfield scores right before the half, them on the first play of the 2nd half and all of the sudden its 20-0. It was probably me that said they should never lose to those teams, especially not in the same year.

Green: What happeend last night was not lack of talent. What happened last night was lack of coaching, lack of discipline and a team that quit. I agree this Ridley team is lacking in talent. I said early in the year they may lose to Hav, GV, MN and Springfield. I think they may lose to UD too. But that team is is not 35 points worse than Springfield. it was 7-0 with a minute left in the first half. If you cant execute a simple Center/QB exchange or belly dive without fumbling, thats lack of discipline or bad coaching. You can go to an 8 yr old pee wee football game and not see the mistakes this team makes. Missed tackles happen too-but 3 times the RB went up the middle untouched. No one missed a tackle. You cant have a 300 LB nose guard as your punter. Thats just stupid!!! Any snap one or 2 yards off line totally panics him and he ends up with a 5 yard punt, and every fake punt play ever invented is totally out of the play book. iI know, Im ranting. Im pissed. and the sad part is that im probably ( along with many other Ridley alums) more pissed than anyone one associated with that team.

Speed - As I stated, I agree with some of your points. However, I guess we see the fumbling and turnovers from a different side. If a player does not have the talent or ability to excute properly then that is on them. If the coaches continue to put them out in a situation to not be successful then that is on the coaches. I am waiting to see what changes might occur. As for the punter I asked the same question week one and was told he is one of only two kids that punts. The other has serious issues catching the ball. Trust me you are not the only one that is upset with the state of the program. I am just not sure that everyone has a realistic understanding of the current talent level at Ridley.

Green: No problem, its just hard to look at sometimes. And I know turnovers/fumbles part of the game. Whent the QB got popped inthe 3rd Q-thats just a good play by Springfield. When they fumble the QB/Center exchange multiple times in multiple games I think thats coaching. Now to you point, if the coaches know that and beleive the back up Center or QB would be even worse and have more fumbles, then thats just plain scary!!

I do not want to speak for the coaches but I have attend the JV games and I personally believe that the best kids may currently be out there. With that being said I also think that we may start to see some more of the JV QB now to build towards the future because the difference is not that great. It is scary! On a separate some what positive note I did catch the 9th grade game earlier in the day and they are undefeated and have some very promising talent at that level.

Tend to agree with defcon3 here. Taking on an out of district kid in middle of year with the circumstances, immediately playing the kid and then nominating him for Lb of week is fairly questionable.

I get you don't have the horses. It's hard to tell kids it's about family, commitment, offseason weight lifting, 7:45 meetings and then take a player with an address that others would not take and play him and honor him immediatedly. You are innocent until proven otherwise in this country. Another tenet of coaching is you can't BS kids. Kids see right through that. You lose kids once they see all of the other stuff goes by the wayside if someone can help you win.

Many programs with similar situations right now. Very tricky for these coaches but adversity tends to magnify these type of issues.

Regarding the new kid, you are 100% right. They have basically lost the team because of that. Everyone knows the kid can play a lil, but he hasnt paid his dues at all. The coaching staff has fallen in love with this kid, based on how he played 4 years ago at Fatima. The kids who should be on the field on defense only see the field in jv games. There are 4/5 kids on defense who should never be on the field for varsity (#10, #4, #2, and #1 come to mind right away). This coaching staff is looking for the prototypical football player, as evidence by the 6’4” kid who walked on 2 weeks ago. Theres a reason he got kicked out of that private school, and its not a good situation. These coaches are in panic mode, but are failing to realize what message they are sending to these kids. What they are failing to realize is what Ridley has always lived on (small, tough, gritty kids). There are a couple kids on defense I see at the jv games that should already be starting on the varsity defense (#21, #95, #42, #24 and #40 are just a few). These 5 are better than what they are putting on the field right now, and the ACTUALLY GIVE A SHIT ABOUT RIDLEY FOOTBALL. Its gonna be a real long season unless they fix those issues right away, and fast

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT