ADVERTISEMENT

Sorting out the District 1 playoffs

It is what it is.
Its not like a undefeated team wont make the playoffs.
Do you think your team is getting short changed?
Who is your team?

5A playoffs has Wissahickon in. When was their last playoff appearance?

Probably 2012 when they pulled off one of the biggest upsets in D1 history. They were the 16th seed and beat top seed and undefeated Downingtown East 38-35.

Reactions: D1sideline
Pennridge deserves to be there and Coatesville, I guess, but the other 2 would be bottom half the district in a normal playoff year. The PAC is terrible and souderton played no one. Luck of the draw I guess.

My School: even in a "normal playoff year" they would still use the points system to determine seeds1-16. Spring Ford would most likely go 9-0/8-1 with a win over #5 PV. They would still most likely be a top 4 seed.

Assuming Pennridge and Coatesville are in, it's hard to determine the other two top four teams. Shortened season makes it really difficult, especially with young QBs on some of the top teams.

SF does have one decent win over PV (see below).
Souderton hasn't played anyone.
Is PV any good? Barely beat Boyertown?
Skins getting stomped by Pennridge at home probably knocks them out.
Abington let the Neshaminy game get away from them.
NP lost W1 to Neshaminy.
Dtown West just didn't play enough games to know.
Dtown East losing a close one to Cville?

Top 8 would be nice:

1. Pennridge
2. Coatesville
3. Neshaminy
4. NP
5. Abington
6. SF
7. Souderton
8. Dtown East

I think those rankings are fairly accurate. I’d put DTE a little higher though. Of course Spring Ford should be in by going undefeated. However, I saw them against Methacton. Neshaminy and NP would beat them by at least 2 scores. They do not have the firepower to keep up. Again, I am not saying SF or even Souderton shouldn’t make the playoffs, but they certainly aren’t one of the top 4 teams.

Ok so Souderton hasn't played a tough schedule this year. But they have proven they can play with anyone. They beat a very good CBW team last year. The only team to do so in the regular season. I wouldn't take them for granted. We just don't know how good they are.

Wilson, that’s fair on Souderton. I haven’t seen them yet, I was making an assumption based on returners. My point was more about SF.

Reactions: wilson8500
Assuming Pennridge and Coatesville are in, it's hard to determine the other two top four teams. Shortened season makes it really difficult, especially with young QBs on some of the top teams.

SF does have one decent win over PV (see below).
Souderton hasn't played anyone.
Is PV any good? Barely beat Boyertown?
Skins getting stomped by Pennridge at home probably knocks them out.
Abington let the Neshaminy game get away from them.
NP lost W1 to Neshaminy.
Dtown West just didn't play enough games to know.
Dtown East losing a close one to Cville?

Top 8 would be nice:

1. Pennridge
2. Coatesville
3. Neshaminy
4. NP
5. Abington
6. SF
7. Souderton
8. Dtown East
That’s a good list and reasonable.

SF - Sounds like CV is having a rough year, so SF probably stays undefeated.
PR - Abington could be a challenge.
SD - Bensalem is 0-4 and beaten soundly each week.
CV - Any chance Kennett beats the Red Raiders?

Top 4 probably set at this point. PR stays in with a loss anyway?

It will be weird not to see North Penn in it. When will 2020 be over :)
Amen. Ditto in D3 not seeing two 6A mainstays, Wilson and Manheim Twp and 5A Manheim Central struggling with a young group at 2-5. Wilson would have been a strong 4 seed.

Last edited:
Unionville out because of a covid positive test. Kennett is the new #4 seed and Wissahickon moves up to #3

Top 4 teams are far from battle-tested at this point with opponent's records containing many more losses than wins. No common opponents between any of the four, but PR is the only team that played all 6A teams.

Semis -
CV over PR - Red Raider LBs will be all over the Ram's DW.
SF over SD - Don't know much about either team this year, but playing two 0-5 teams the past 2 weeks can't help SD.

Final -
CV over SF - Young CV QB getting better every week, and Red Raider's D will stifle SF.

If the SOL didn't realign the conferences for the millionth time, Souderton would have probably played North Penn and/or Pennridge.

Conversely Neshaminy would probably not have faced NP and Pennridge.

One could argue conference realignment this year put Souderton in and kept Neshaminy out.

Reactions: solfootballfan
The Ville’s Defense has been playing lights out under the watchful eyes of EJ “DC” Moyer and Jim “Wildman” Limper the linebacker coach who reminds me of a young Ron Vanderlin. The offense has been rolling with young Susi at helm who plays with a lot moxie just like his old man did at BishopMcdevit. Look forward to going to the game and if anyone is interested I’m going to the Olde Towne Restaurant before for some of their famous stuffed oysters and few cold beers first round is one me. Love this time of year playoff football!

Reactions: Fletchster1
The tricky part is not getting anyone sick! With this weather that is a task in itself..... even if your last JV player comes down with a fever....... i guess you're quarantined?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT