ADVERTISEMENT

SJP-Coatesville

tulla

Oct 27, 2004
How about a thread that focuses just on the actual game ahead?

From what I read, the game conditions should be decent for this time of year--fairly cold with some wind but no rain or snow. I caught about half of Coatesville's win on Friday on the livestream and am wondering whether they generally play better. I'm assuming they do. It was clear that they have a fair bit of speed, especially on offense, but their execution on offense and their tackling were haphazard--sometimes good and sometimes poor. Maybe they were looking past Garnet Valley. I'm expecting a close game Friday night.

Prep in a rout. I don't see Coatesville having the discipline or focus needed to deal with Preps relentless pressure for four quarters. Next up, Pine Richland.

For Coatesville to win they have to control the offensive line of scrimmage. The Preps #75 is the best D-lineman I have seen since the kid from GW who went to Florida and Vikings.

For Coatesville to win they have to control the offensive line of scrimmage. The Preps #75 is the best D-lineman I have seen since the kid from GW who went to Florida and Vikings.
I agree with your assessment of # 75 for Prep. If the line of scrimmage is the answer then Prep takes the game. I think the Young brothers and Ortega will move the ball somehow. I do believe Prep wins.

Coatesville tightens up on offense and on the opposing rushing game and with its speed and athleticism upsets a highly ranked Prep 28-24. Btw - I won’t be bitching and moaning if the Prep somehow wins!

I don't see Coatesville scoring more than twice against Prep. Their advantage over all D1 schools has been their speed/athleticism. They won't have that distinct advantage against Prep. I'll be rooting for CV, but I think Prep wins by at least 2 scores.

I haven't seen Coatesville live. Looked at a few clips on film, nothing too extensive. No doubt they have athletes, speed, and big-play ability. They better not abandon the running game, even though SJP is tough in that area. Parkland totally did away with a 1,800-yard rusher and proceeded to sling it all over the field. Not good. Won't work. SJP's defense is too relentless and opportunistic for the opponent to play that way and not have mistakes that lead to SJP scores.

Offensively, the Hawks will do what they do. They'll find a weakness and exploit it. They'll be patient. They won't be predictable. They won't panic. They'll be balanced. They'll share the ball. They'll make subtle plays that keep the chains moving. Heck, they probably won't even look all that impressive in doing it. Just calm, business-like game plan that allows them to score enough points to win the game.

I think Coatesville needs uncustomary breakdowns from SJP to win this game. If that happens then they have the athletes to make some big plays and be right there. But playing the odds, I wouldn't count on too many breakdowns from this group. Should be a good game, tho. Or at least as the potential to be a good one.

Reactions: Aragorn
I have seen Coatesville several times this year live (I have not seen Prep live but have seen film on them) & I think Prep wins by at least 2 scores. Coatesville will give up yards on the ground especially to teams that match them physically (DEast 2x, Cumberland Valley, Garnet). Their speed advantage will not be obvious against Prep as they are almost as fast on D as Coatesville's O. I think Coatesville can keep it close for 2 quarters before Prep takes over. I've been impressed with Prep's D-they're strong up front and very skilled in the back 7. They won't get beat on big plays and will make you earn every inch. I think Coatesville is a year away from being able to beat a Prep or LaSalle type team.

I hope it stays close but I feel like Prep is just that much better of a team that they should win 38-17.

Reactions: lilromeo
Prep will win up front. The skill advantage goes to Prep as well. I see Prep winning by 3 TDs, but hope I'm wrong. That's why the play the games.

Reactions: MC1975
It took Coatesville a 4th down trick play early and some GV questionable play calls and turnovers late to beat GV. Prep offense will score more than GV and Prep's defense is on another planet than GV. Not being critical of GV, great program, coaching, and host of talented players. However, Prep is due for a hiccup, and semi final games can be tricky, but Prep 42-Cville 21.

Small sample size but here it is vs top quality

2017 Coatesville
Lost at Cumberland Valley 14-21
Beat G-Val 35-28

Lost at Cumberland Valley 21-41
Lost at North Penn 35-13

2017 SJP
Beat

Jesuit…………….lost to state power Osceola
St. Peter’s Prep…..beat Paramus, DBP
Wood…………….beat Bergen, Oxbridge, lost Paramus
LaSalle x2……….beat North Penn, lost McDonogh
Northeast………...lost to Imhotep and Neumann
Parkland…………beat all in EPC-S

I have seen both a few times. CV has speed, on perimeter, qb is duel threat, Young bros are studs, line is solid. Linebackers and dbackd run very well, tall on outside too. DL is inconsistent. Very good team. That being said SJP’s O-line is big,tough, very well coached. The qb McCray being a seasoned vet at this point with a lot of big game experience, duel threat and does not turn it over. I think rb by committee, speed and consistency at receiver. Special teams are excellent, points there on punt or kick off. I think the D is just phenomenal, speed and discipline, DL not huge but technique is college caliber. I like SJP by a couple touchdowns or so. Running game, a couple big hits off of play action and a special teams score. 31-13.

I haven't seen Coatesville live. Looked at a few clips on film, nothing too extensive. No doubt they have athletes, speed, and big-play ability. They better not abandon the running game, even though SJP is tough in that area. Parkland totally did away with a 1,800-yard rusher and proceeded to sling it all over the field. Not good. Won't work. SJP's defense is too relentless and opportunistic for the opponent to play that way and not have mistakes that lead to SJP scores.

Offensively, the Hawks will do what they do. They'll find a weakness and exploit it. They'll be patient. They won't be predictable. They won't panic. They'll be balanced. They'll share the ball. They'll make subtle plays that keep the chains moving. Heck, they probably won't even look all that impressive in doing it. Just calm, business-like game plan that allows them to score enough points to win the game.

I think Coatesville needs uncustomary breakdowns from SJP to win this game. If that happens then they have the athletes to make some big plays and be right there. But playing the odds, I wouldn't count on too many breakdowns from this group. Should be a good game, tho. Or at least as the potential to be a good one.

I agree with the assesment but I don't think Coatesville has the horses up front to deal with Prep which will force them to sling it. As far as I can see it's what they really like to do anyway. It's their identity. I also agree that at this point of the year it would surprise me to see Prep suffer uncustomary breakdowns. They're just too battle tested and been through this too many times for that to happen.

Coatesville will hang with Prep. I think the offense for Coatesville comes in with Ortega and company airing it out. In the end Prep special teams make the difference in a high scoring game. Prep 42 Coatesville 32

Small sample size but here it is vs top quality

2017 Coatesville
Lost at Cumberland Valley 14-21
Beat G-Val 35-28

Lost at Cumberland Valley 21-41
Lost at North Penn 35-13

2017 SJP
Beat

Jesuit…………….lost to state power Osceola
St. Peter’s Prep…..beat Paramus, DBP
Wood…………….beat Bergen, Oxbridge, lost Paramus
LaSalle x2……….beat North Penn, lost McDonogh
Northeast………...lost to Imhotep and Neumann
Parkland…………beat all in EPC-S

You're just going to leave off the two games against Downingtown East this year?

Reactions: chiefredraider
Take a look at this article... the St. Joe's Prep kid even admits he was recruited. These Prep fans proud of winning state titles against public schools are pathetic, lol.

http://papreplive.com/2017/11/29/ag...reps-sanders-will-have-a-homecoming-of-sorts/

So what? He was an 8th grader. His family made a choice. It's America. He was a program player for three years. Didn't really get a chance to play extensively to this season. Had two catches last year as a junior. Private schools need to attract kids. They're not fortunate enough to have 1,000 high school aged boys given to them every year. SJP or any other private school didn't create the system. Hey, say it was split apart and North Penn went onto win a state 6A title last year, should they be proud? After all, they would have beaten many, many schools who had up to 800 boys less than them playing for the same title? Advantages and disadvantages come in all shapes and sizes, but only one of them is ever talked about. The belly-aching from adults is what's pathetic. Coatesville' coach said it perfectly, most of the complaining comes from adults or coaches, not the kids playing the games. Maybe, we should take a lead from those competing.

I think all of the public school coaches in the state should come together and threaten to leave the PIAA until they separate the schools. I mean really. The same old complaints this time of year are beyond stale. If that's what it takes, then please do something. Everyone is tired of listening to it. But until something changes then just shut up and enjoy the games. It's only HS football for Christ sake.

Also, that Daily Local article that rI ead last night was something else. Setting up the excuses before the game is even played. Coatesville has a really good team and the last time they were in this position they beat LaSalle. But let's get the excuses, recruiting story out there now. Loved that it mentioned that SJP is led by VA Tech recruit Darryle Simmons. Ha ha ha.....The kid has been hurt all year and hasn't even played one second of high school football this year. But of course the story gets more juice if you throw in the VA Tech recruit. Weak.

Take a look at this article... the St. Joe's Prep kid even admits he was recruited. These Prep fans proud of winning state titles against public schools are pathetic, lol.

http://papreplive.com/2017/11/29/ag...reps-sanders-will-have-a-homecoming-of-sorts/
The Prep recruits all its students. The school has an admissions office with staff who travel to as many elementary schools as they can to attract students. They have open houses, camps and one-day events where kids who are interested in drama, science football, basketball, rowing, etc. and of course the people who run the camps encourage the attendees to go to the Prep. And of course all the PCL and Inter-Ac schools make a particular effort to recruit particularly promising student-athletes. It's been going on for decades. And, obviously, the Public schools are doing it more too, sometimes to keep the kids from going to private schools and sometimes, it seems, to encourage them to leave the private schools. And if you read the whole story it;s obvious the kid is very happy he chose the Prep.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
So what? He was an 8th grader. His family made a choice. It's America. He was a program player for three years. Didn't really get a chance to play extensively to this season. Had two catches last year as a junior. Private schools need to attract kids. They're not fortunate enough to have 1,000 high school aged boys given to them every year. SJP or any other private school didn't create the system. Hey, say it was split apart and North Penn went onto win a state 6A title last year, should they be proud? After all, they would have beaten many, many schools who had up to 800 boys less than them playing for the same title? Advantages and disadvantages come in all shapes and sizes, but only one of them is ever talked about. The belly-aching from adults is what's pathetic. Coatesville' coach said it perfectly, most of the complaining comes from adults or coaches, not the kids playing the games. Maybe, we should take a lead from those competing.

I think all of the public school coaches in the state should come together and threaten to leave the PIAA until they separate the schools. I mean really. The same old complaints this time of year are beyond stale. If that's what it takes, then please do something. Everyone is tired of listening to it. But until something changes then just shut up and enjoy the games. It's only HS football for Christ sake.

Also, that Daily Local article that rI ead last night was something else. Setting up the excuses before the game is even played. Coatesville has a really good team and the last time they were in this position they beat LaSalle. But let's get the excuses, recruiting story out there now. Loved that it mentioned that SJP is led by VA Tech recruit Darryle Simmons. Ha ha ha.....The kid has been hurt all year and hasn't even played one second of high school football this year. But of course the story gets more juice if you throw in the VA Tech recruit. Weak.

Hey, if you're proud that's on you. You probably loved Kevin Durant going to the Warriors too.

Reactions: Fletchster1
The Prep recruits all its students. The school has an admissions office with staff who travel to as many elementary schools as they can to attract students. They have open houses, camps and one-day events where kids who are interested in drama, science football, basketball, rowing, etc. and of course the people who run the camps encourage the attendees to go to the Prep. And of course all the PCL and Inter-Ac schools make a particular effort to recruit particularly promising student-athletes. It's been going on for decades. And, obviously, the Public schools are doing it more too, sometimes to keep the kids from going to private schools and sometimes, it seems, to encourage them to leave the private schools. And if you read the whole story it;s obvious the kid is very happy he chose the Prep.
Public schools are absolutely bringing kids from outside the district and have been for years. My man Branden Myers played for the Downingtown West and it was well know by the administration that he lived in Coatesville area (Valley Twp) at the time and isn’t it ironic that Notth Penn gets the CB West then a Norristown QB. The football recruiting/transfer is all the same argument. Teams are supplementing players from other schools to help w football. Prep guys.. read the article that Ortega with help from our Pulitzer Prize winning local Chester County newspaper is egging him on. I’d take the Prep for education and football any day over my Ville.

I think the PIAA will be forced to do something in the near future. Don't fault the kids going to those schools, but those teams should be in a different playoff bracket than the boundary schools.

I think the PIAA will be forced to do something in the near future. Don't fault the kids going to those schools, but those teams should be in a different playoff bracket than the boundary schools.
That’s your opinion Fletcher but anyway you slice it.., both public and private are bringing in kids for football? Am I wrong w that statement?

That’s your opinion Fletcher but anyway you slice it.., both public and private are bringing in kids for football? Am I wrong w that statement?

Doesn't mean any of it should be allowed. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the private schools are doing it by leaps and bounds more. Look at the football and basketball champions since the PCL joined the PIAA.

Reactions: chiefredraider
I hope the PIAA does separate them. Then the privates can continue to do their thing and let the public schools move on and complain about the size of NP and this player transferred from CBW, and that QB transferred from Egan to Pennsbury, and that kid transferred to Upper Dublin, and that kid transferred to Ridley, and that kid doesn't live in Neshaminy territory, and that Coatesville kid is from Downingtown, and that PR kid is from WA, and that kid transferred to Harrisburg mid season....The complaining will never end....Oh and Curry did this at Berwick and Pettine did this at CBW, do these people know what they sound like?

Please post the articles you find about SJP hosting science fairs and debate club competitions. Like virtually all schools that have tuition, Prep must market themselves. They would not continue to exist without such efforts. I understand your frustration that the football program does a very good job at marketing SJP to potential players. However, singling out one program because they are successful at activity in which all private schools do and must engage is rather narrow-minded, IMO.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Please post the articles you find about SJP hosting science fairs and debate club competitions. Like virtually all schools that have tuition, Prep must market themselves. They would not continue to exist without such efforts. I understand your frustration that the football program does a very good job at marketing SJP to potential players. However, singling out one program because they are successful at activity in which all private schools do and must engage is rather narrow-minded, IMO.

I hear you, for sure. I think most people would agree it's the PIAA's problem/fault. These schools are doing things that the PIAA is letting them do, so why would they stop. I hope whichever coach went all the way to Downingtown to talk to Sanders and the Youngs also passed along information and attention to the other 20 players on the team, but somehow I'm sure that didn't happen.

Every student at every private school is recruited. Also, were the Downingtown coaches at those pop warner games drumming up interest in their program? If not, they have nothing to complain about.

Tells you everything you need to know about the problem these days. Local high schools having to recruit their own kids from the vultures...

Every student at every private school is recruited. Also, were the Downingtown coaches at those pop warner games drumming up interest in their program? If not, they have nothing to complain about.
Coach Matta is a regular attendee at Marsh Creek

Education is a business and families are making business decisions. This kid is choosing to travel 75 miles round trip every day for 4 years. SJP is obviously selling something Downingtown can't provide.

Hey, if you're proud that's on you. You probably loved Kevin Durant going to the Warriors too.

Actually, I wasn't in favor in that. I thought KD took the easy way out and could have done something pretty special with OKC with a tweak or two to the roster. But, that's a story for another day... Anyhow, It's not about me being proud. I just enjoy good high school football. I think the complaining ruins it at times. At the end of the day it's not all that important when it comes to what really matters in this world, but whatever. If you need to vent have at it. Also, drawing comparison to a 13-year old's decision on where to attend HS and that of a grown-ass man heading to a super team in the NBA is quite the stretch.

Tells you everything you need to know about the problem these days. Local high schools having to recruit their own kids from the vultures...
Vultures? Sounds like you think that local public high schools have some primary right to the kids who grow up in the school board's boundaries and that kids/families who choose another school are betraying their communities. In any case, Sanders is clearly happy with his choice.

Education is a business and families are making business decisions. This kid is choosing to travel 75 miles round trip every day for 4 years. SJP is obviously selling something Downingtown can't provide.
I’m in the Downingtown school district and my kids all but 2 years have went through and it worked for my daughter but not my son. Our school district has a very good writer who publishes very up beat articles. Personally not as good as what we publish. We were in Unionville for 2 years and have the admit that’s a top notch school. I’d take the Prep any day over Dtown.

ADVERTISEMENT