ADVERTISEMENT

SJP 2021 Schedule

tulla

Oct 27, 2004
In addition to the four PCL Games (LaSalle, Wood, Judge, and Roman) SJP will play St. Mary Ryken (MD), Milton (GA), Gonzaga (DC), and Middletown (DE).

In addition to the four PCL Games (LaSalle, Wood, Judge, and Roman) SJP will play St. Mary Ryken (MD), Milton (GA), Gonzaga (DC), and Middletown (DE).
Milton GA. went 11-1 last year and has the #1 rated recruit for 2023. Tulla, do you have information on this coming years Prep squad? I know of Barlow and Nelson but not much else. I would appreciate any input you can provide. I am probably reaching here ,but I believe Wood with their additions could be a good challenge to the Prep for a change.

Reactions: Bighead75
Milton GA. went 11-1 last year and has the #1 rated recruit for 2023. Tulla, do you have information on this coming years Prep squad? I know of Barlow and Nelson but not much else. I would appreciate any input you can provide. I am probably reaching here ,but I believe Wood with their additions could be a good challenge to the Prep for a change.
Lil,

On the fact of it, it looks like a somewhat less ambitious non-league schedule than they played in 2019 (Marietta, St. Johh's, and IMG) and had scheduled last year (away in Texas and at St. John's, home to Bosco, and one other tough one I'm forgetting). As far as I know, St. Mary Ryken and Gonzaga had their seasons cancelled last year because of COVID.

I think I wrote a long post back in Dec. or Jan. and who's coming back. If I find it I'll post it again, but off the top of my head I know Josiah Trotter will be back--as will most of the offensive line, including Brad Harris starting for the 3rd year. Maurice Clark would have been a star receiver on any other team last year--he'll be back. Omillio Agard, a soph next year, has already got a ton of offers from the likes of LSU. The kicker, Chadha, is back for another year. Apparently a very promising QB is coming in as a frosh. Last year's backup, Picariello, is also back. Obviously, they lost a lot. I actually see LaSalle as #2 rather than Wood.

It certainly seems like a step down from the past few years, which makes sense considering all that they graduated. Nonetheless, still a daunting schedule by any other program’s standards. St. Mary’s Ryken is a decent program, but plays in the smaller of the private leagues in MD. I expect SJP to mercy-rule them. Ditto for Middletown (solid program, but DE isn’t near the level of play as PA).

Lil,

On the fact of it, it looks like a somewhat less ambitious non-league schedule than they played in 2019 (Marietta, St. Johh's, and IMG) and had scheduled last year (away in Texas and at St. John's, home to Bosco, and one other tough one I'm forgetting). As far as I know, St. Mary Ryken and Gonzaga had their seasons cancelled last year because of COVID.

I think I wrote a long post back in Dec. or Jan. and who's coming back. If I find it I'll post it again, but off the top of my head I know Josiah Trotter will be back--as will most of the offensive line, including Brad Harris starting for the 3rd year. Maurice Clark would have been a star receiver on any other team last year--he'll be back. Omillio Agard, a soph next year, has already got a ton of offers from the likes of LSU. The kicker, Chadha, is back for another year. Apparently a very promising QB is coming in as a frosh. Last year's backup, Picariello, is also back. Obviously, they lost a lot. I actually see LaSalle as #2 rather than Wood.
Big question ,WHO will wear the famous number 10 this year ?????

Lilromeo/Tulla,
Not sure but imagine they’ll have plenty of possibilities. I’m rather distant to the PCL activities nowadays but still follow peripherally.
While he may not have been the most decorated Prepster as far as collegiate stature and played during the 5-yr LaSalle championship run, I loved that Mike Labor… undersized, relentless 2-way player, dynamite as LB, his tackle totals were obscene. He played in that classic ‘09 PCL championship game with what turned out to be a broken leg. He was the epitome of what your clan define as the #10..

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo
What is the history of #10 anyway? Every year that P-R played them, that kid was always a very nice player.
Number 10 has been a dominate player on defense for years. Much of the time watching a prep game I tend to keep an eye on that player. Im also interested in the # 10 story.

Reactions: new2pa
Number 10 has been a dominate player on defense for years. Much of the time watching a prep game I tend to keep an eye on that player. Im also interested in the # 10 story.
I should know this, but I'm a little fuzzy on the origin of the #10 tradition. I always thought it started under Infante, but Labor played in Brooks's last year. He was a terrific player, not the most physically gifted but really hard-working. Maybe the first to wear the number in the Infante era was Ryan McNulty, another linebacker much like Labor, Most of those who've worn the number since (three of the Johnson brothers, Phil O'Connor, Copper Kim, etc.) have been linebackers and all have had the same qualities, Jake Strain and Nick Yagodich were linemen who also wore #10.

I should know this, but I'm a little fuzzy on the origin of the #10 tradition. I always thought it started under Infante, but Labor played in Brooks's last year. He was a terrific player, not the most physically gifted but really hard-working. Maybe the first to wear the number in the Infante era was Ryan McNulty, another linebacker much like Labor, Most of those who've worn the number since (three of the Johnson brothers, Phil O'Connor, Copper Kim, etc.) have been linebackers and all have had the same qualities, Jake Strain and Nick Yagodich were linemen who also wore #10.
Tulla - it slowly began under brooks - labor was the last of the brooks tenure - played against lasalle with one shot leg and the other with partially torn ankle and still was best player on field in final - it was a shadow of temple with low numbers for defensive line players and linebackers but brooks definitely started it by saying “who’s wearing 10 next year”

Tulla - it slowly began under brooks - labor was the last of the brooks tenure - played against lasalle with one shot leg and the other with partially torn ankle and still was best player on field in final - it was a shadow of temple with low numbers for defensive line players and linebackers but brooks definitely started it by saying “who’s wearing 10 next year”
He was a loose cannon sometimes, a mouth that could melt the ears off of you and quite frankly the most forward thinking coach this area has ever seen. Hated him but you had to repect what he was doing!!

Roxy, Do you know if Brooks has coached anywhere since Camden Catholic?

Everyone knows and appreciates how Brooks transformed the Prep's program. What perplexed me was how for about 10 years the Prep won the great majority of its games by lopsided scores--with the exception of Brooklyn Poly and Gillman games in 2003 and the 2004 RS game against O'Hara which were close wins. But it lost almost all the close games (e.g. 2004 championship against O'Hara, the 2006 games against Bosco--I know the impact of the bad ref calls--Hilliard Davidson and the the championship game against LaSalle, the 2007 championship game against Roman, both 2008 games against LaSalle, and the 2009 championship game against LaSalle) it played. You could also throw in the 2009 Thanksgiving game against Malvern. My strong sense was that the players got uptight in the big games and sometimes played with too much fear of losing. Brooks could also be stubborn about not making adjustments--most obvious in that last game against Malvern and, it seemed, in not making changes to deal with LaSalle's passing game in his last couple of years at SJP. What do you think?

Roxy, Do you know if Brooks has coached anywhere since Camden Catholic?

Everyone knows and appreciates how Brooks transformed the Prep's program. What perplexed me was how for about 10 years the Prep won the great majority of its games by lopsided scores--with the exception of Brooklyn Poly and Gillman games in 2003 and the 2004 RS game against O'Hara which were close wins. But it lost almost all the close games (e.g. 2004 championship against O'Hara, the 2006 games against Bosco--I know the impact of the bad ref calls--Hilliard Davidson and the the championship game against LaSalle, the 2007 championship game against Roman, both 2008 games against LaSalle, and the 2009 championship game against LaSalle) it played. You could also throw in the 2009 Thanksgiving game against Malvern. My strong sense was that the players got uptight in the big games and sometimes played with too much fear of losing. Brooks could also be stubborn about not making adjustments--most obvious in that last game against Malvern and, it seemed, in not making changes to deal with LaSalle's passing game in his last couple of years at SJP. What do you think?
Tulla -

Coach Brooks hasn’t coached since CC. I’m suspect he’s had inquiries, but nothing to date. Your assessment above in general is spot on. It was stubbornness at times and an inability to adjust. He set the bar for not only Prep, but the Catholic league. He also was considered the preeminent gaming counsel in the area and the time frame that we are talking about coincided with gaming licenses in pa and elsewhere. He has an entire staff at the firm where he worked and was tireless for both his practice and the team, but there are only so many hours in a day and there were limitations. He put a lot of pressure on himself and consequently, the team could feel it in big games. He clearly struggled to adapt to defending the spread which LaSalle took to the next level.
I got some insight today on this years team. The defensive backfield and LBs may be the best they have ever had. The OL is also stout and experienced. There are a combination of options at RB and QB may be younger. There will be two games played at Franklin field and I think the remainder of home games played at O’Hara.

He was a loose cannon sometimes, a mouth that could melt the ears off of you and quite frankly the most forward thinking coach this area has ever seen. Hated him but you had to repect what he was doing!!
Paul -

Totally agree. He put the Catholic league back on the map and Lasalle took it to the next level by introducing the spread offense.

Reactions: Soup13
Tulla -

Coach Brooks hasn’t coached since CC. I’m suspect he’s had inquiries, but nothing to date. Your assessment above in general is spot on. It was stubbornness at times and an inability to adjust. He set the bar for not only Prep, but the Catholic league. He also was considered the preeminent gaming counsel in the area and the time frame that we are talking about coincided with gaming licenses in pa and elsewhere. He has an entire staff at the firm where he worked and was tireless for both his practice and the team, but there are only so many hours in a day and there were limitations. He put a lot of pressure on himself and consequently, the team could feel it in big games. He clearly struggled to adapt to defending the spread which LaSalle took to the next level.
I got some insight today on this years team. The defensive backfield and LBs may be the best they have ever had. The OL is also stout and experienced. There are a combination of options at RB and QB may be younger. There will be two games played at Franklin field and I think the remainder of home games played at O’Hara.
I read an article about a Prep soph RB named Joe Canola. I never heard anything about him,so I was wondering if you had the scoop on him ?

I read an article about a Prep soph RB named Joe Canola. I never heard anything about him,so I was wondering if you had the scoop on him ?
Don't know anything about Canola other than what's in the article but I know they have a few very promising running backs: David Washington, Blaine Bunch, and Joshua Barlow. The latter was to be their #1 running back last year but got hurt in the first game. I haven't heard anything about him since.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT