ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan

FJ78

Dec 5, 2009
Rick O'Brien reporting that Frank McArdle is out at Ryan.

Ryan, Roman, Judge, Prep with new head coaches all in the same year.

O'Brien reported that Ryan "dismissed" McArdle, language that caught my eye and made me more curious about what may lie behind the decision.

My sense was that Ryan was clearly better this year than the previous few years--another reason to wonder.

Reactions: lilromeo

WOW - these CL schools have lost their minds !!!
They seem to all think that you can make chicken salad out of chicken shhh... first judge now Ryan (and throw Roman in there for good measure) / not quite sure what they are thinking or looking for but if you want to be the prep , it’s gonna cost you $ at least $$$,$$$ figures type of money and that’s just scratching the surface !!! Frank Mccardle may just be the best coach in the league that many view as the best in the state ...
The admin at Judge shows zero support financially to get these kids from outside of NE in and they fire Mike McKay who is a judge alum, great coach and even better representive of your school / Ryan gives less than zero support financially to get kids in and fires Frank Mccardle who is one of the best players to come out of Ryan , a great guy and a awesome representative of your school not to mention - maybe the best coach in the league ... they lost to Prep, Lasalle and wood twice / the playoff game was by 1 score to a team that has won 4 of the last 5 state titles and was a few plays away from doing it again !! Exactly who at Ryan got together and said .. it’s time for the guy who resurrected our awful football program to go ????
Listen to those of you who do not know the innner workings of this league than you will probably not understand this ... but these schools mentioned above do not and will not be able to EVER raise the type of money to fund a program comparable to the prep - it is a absolute pipe dream !!!
So where do these schools go from here cause unless they have some multi multi millionaire who doesn’t have to work in the wait , they will be rt back to square one ...
Lots of luck , lol !!

McArdle did an awesome job at Ryan. My favorite was the one year they beat both Prep and Wood who both went on to win state championships and Ryan didn’t even make the playoffs that year. I think it was Samir Bullock’s sophomore or junior year.

Ryan does not give any money at all for recruiting at all. Kids who could walk to Ryan started going to Judge over $.

I heard McArdle went for Judge job and Ryan was not happy when they got word. Watch he joins the Prep staff soon.

$ and 6 classifications has ruined the Catholic League. Can’t believe how many non-league games these teams have to find when they don’t even play each other. Catholic League South used to be Prep, Roman, O’Hara, Bonner, Carroll, West Catholic, and Neumann.
North was Judge, Ryan, McDevitt, CEC, McDevitt, LaSalle, and Wood. Throw in Lansdale Catholic. Go back to that format and have manditory crossovers. Each team go find one non-league game. But that won’t happen.

McArdle did an awesome job at Ryan. My favorite was the one year they beat both Prep and Wood who both went on to win state championships and Ryan didn’t even make the playoffs that year. I think it was Samir Bullock’s sophomore or junior year.

Ryan does not give any money at all for recruiting at all. Kids who could walk to Ryan started going to Judge over $.

I heard McArdle went for Judge job and Ryan was not happy when they got word. Watch he joins the Prep staff soon.

$ and 6 classifications has ruined the Catholic League. Can’t believe how many non-league games these teams have to find when they don’t even play each other. Catholic League South used to be Prep, Roman, O’Hara, Bonner, Carroll, West Catholic, and Neumann.
North was Judge, Ryan, McDevitt, CEC, McDevitt, LaSalle, and Wood. Throw in Lansdale Catholic. Go back to that format and have manditory crossovers. Each team go find one non-league game. But that won’t happen.
One thing your idea would require is for the PCL to leave the PIAA. And do you really think the Prep, LaSalle, and Wood would be happy to play all of one non-league game and instead be required to play more entirely non-competitive league games? And I wonder if a school like Carroll, McDevitt, and LC would really want to have much larger schools in their division.

Reactions: lilromeo
Why have to leave the PIAA? They can still be in PIAA. They just want more champs so a PCL 6A champ is a 4 team playoff (Prep, LaSalle, Roman, and Judge). Is that fair? 5A is Ryan vs Wood that’s it.

They should have them play league games and then if they have enough points play in the PIAA playoffs.

I get Prep is on a national level now, but the others struggle to find games. And travel far.

Why have to leave the PIAA? They can still be in PIAA. They just want more champs so a PCL 6A champ is a 4 team playoff (Prep, LaSalle, Roman, and Judge). Is that fair? 5A is Ryan vs Wood that’s it.

They should have them play league games and then if they have enough points play in the PIAA playoffs.

I get Prep is on a national level now, but the others struggle to find games. And travel far.
While the Prep may be prepared to travel further than the other PCL schools, certainly LaSalle and Wood have sought games with schools out of the area and would very likely be strongly opposed to being limited to just one non-PCL opponent a year.

As for the PIAA, splitting into a northern and southern division would cause problems at least in 6A. The fact that Roman and Prep will likely play different northern division teams and LaSalle and Judge will play different southern division teams means it will be very hard, at least in some years, to rank the teams for playoff purposes. And in some years the two best 6A teams will be from the same division but for the sake of fairness (because of the unbalanced schedules) you're going to have to continue to include 6A teams from both northern and southern divisions. And where is a league title game (that could pit a 5A team against a 6A team or someday, maybe, a 4A team aganist a 3A team) going to fit in a schedule that will require all the northern division teams to play 7 intra-divisional games, some cross-over games, a non-league game, and whatever classification playoff games (two in the case of 6A teams) they need to play? As we've seen already, PCL schools begin PIAA playoff games in different weeks, so finding a weekend for a league championship game will be awfully hard.

One other thing, the old north/south split made more sense in an era when far fewer students travelled as they do now. Bonner-West, Judge-North-Catholic, Bonner-O'Hara, even Dougherty-LaSalle games had the feel of local rivalry games. But Neumann, Roman, West Catholic, etc.--not to mention LaSalle and the Prep--draw students, including student-athletes, from both "northern" and "southern" areas. Geography means a lot less than it used to.

ADVERTISEMENT