ADVERTISEMENT

Roman

newport

Nov 22, 2002
They seem to have alot of underclassmen talent walking the halls these days according to what I gather from offer lists on the web. I dont really know anything about them other than the 1 game I watched them play last year and what I read on the internet. Can they challenge at all in the PCL? Is it a forgone conclusion that Prep is the favorite the next couple years? I assume Roman is way behind in the coaching department which always plays a big factor at the HS level.

On a side note... I hope people get out to see Tyseer Denmark of Roman play live. I'm "only" in my 40s, but Denmark is on the very very very short list of best sophomores I have EVER seen play. He is special. As electric and dynamic as any HS player I've seen play no matter the class. He is worth the price of admission. As an impressive offer list as you will see for anyone in the country

Reactions: lilromeo
They seem to have alot of underclassmen talent walking the halls these days according to what I gather from offer lists on the web. I dont really know anything about them other than the 1 game I watched them play last year and what I read on the internet. Can they challenge at all in the PCL? Is it a forgone conclusion that Prep is the favorite the next couple years? I assume Roman is way behind in the coaching department which always plays a big factor at the HS level.

On a side note... I hope people get out to see Tyseer Denmark of Roman play live. I'm "only" in my 40s, but Denmark is on the very very very short list of best sophomores I have EVER seen play. He is special. As electric and dynamic as any HS player I've seen play no matter the class. He is worth the price of admission. As an impressive offer list as you will see for anyone in the country
Roman is loaded with talent all around.Denmark is electric for sure. IMO it comes down to coaching if they can come close to the Prep. They should have a very good running game to complement the Denmark receiving factor...

Coaching wise Roman is solid. Not saying great but I have been close to that program the last 3 years or so. I seen them live beat Wood for the first time ever, and last year Lasalle. The issue that takes place at Roman from my perspective is a matter of logistics, location, and budget. Them competing with Prep and Lasalle every year I think may not be a fair assessment. I’m from district 3 and the power balance at mostly Prep is too much to overcome. Donors, talent etc. Roman has talent but not the financial backing. And yes Prep is extremely well coached In addition to having everything they need.

I think being in 5A is more suitable for Roman and I know the pressure to win is felt but I think tremendous progress has been made there from an interest and school opportunity perspective.

By the way, 100% true. Denmark one of the best players on a high school field anywhere in the country.
Got lucky to enough to see him live vs LaSalle last year and I thought it was a misprint in the program when it said he was only a sophomore. His highlight film from that game alone is unreal.

Is Roman 5a? If that's the case I obviously like their chances alot better to make some noise in the playoffs

I agree Denmark is very, very good. He made some huge, maybe-only-he-could-do-it plays in the win against LaSalle. But in the three Roman games I saw (two against LaSalle and one against SJP) the QB didn't seem all that good a passer and the offensive line, though big, didn't give the QB much time or consistently open holes for the RB who is small and very quick. Their defense didn't impress at all in the later two games.

Reactions: newport
Tulla, I agree with all those points. One would imagine that things would improve this coming year with the passing, the offensive line, and the defense. I went back and looked up the roster and it really seems like they didn’t lose much to graduation.

Tulla, I agree with all those points. One would imagine that things would improve this coming year with the passing, the offensive line, and the defense. I went back and looked up the roster and it really seems like they didn’t lose much to graduation.
So are they the city favorite in 5a? Who stands in the way of Roman and a state playoff berth this year, assuming everyone stays healthy? Is Wood 5a? They seem like they are regressing big time. Is Imhotep 5a? Another team loaded with D1 guys.

I agree Denmark is very, very good. He made some huge, maybe-only-he-could-do-it plays in the win against LaSalle. But in the three Roman games I saw (two against LaSalle and one against SJP) the QB didn't seem all that good a passer and the offensive line, though big, didn't give the QB much time or consistently open holes for the RB who is small and very quick. Their defense didn't impress at all in the later two games.
Roman added a junior RB keon Kenner , a 220 lb bruiser who could play a big part of their offense this year.

What's the QB situation look like? Do they have someone that can consistently get the ball in Denmarks hands? How about the secondary? I would imagine practicing everyday against Denmark would make them better. Every game day should feel much "easier" in comparison.

What's the QB situation look like? Do they have someone that can consistently get the ball in Denmarks hands? How about the secondary? I would imagine practicing everyday against Denmark would make them better. Every game day should feel much "easier" in comparison.
The QB Ingram is a junior. He didnt have a great Soph season ,but has probably improved . He had some decent runs from what I saw.

Starting quarterback from last year is now a junior. They have a young kid who’s apparently really good. They utilized the wildcat for Denmark to get him the ball in the past. Secondary is largely unproven. Based off of last year they started 2 freshman and 2 sophomores at different times. If I’m looking at this right, they only lost 2 starters on defense and 3 starters on offense.

Starting quarterback from last year is now a junior. They have a young kid who’s apparently really good. They utilized the wildcat for Denmark to get him the ball in the past. Secondary is largely unproven. Based off of last year they started 2 freshman and 2 sophomores at different times. If I’m looking at this right, they only lost 2 starters on defense and 3 starters on offense.
These days especially, it's often interesting to see which sophomores and juniors from last year's roster are not on this year's and which players have transferred in. I compared this year's Prep roster with last year's and noted that 17 sophomores and juniors from last year are not on this year's roster. In most cases I suspect most of those are guys who were never going to be close to starters and just decided not to continue with the program--happens all the time and is fine. But of course they lost Heard and James to transfer as well as Winston Yates who, when healthy last year, played some at wide receiver. He's now at Paul VI in Jersey--third high school in three years: a symptom of a wider problem. And there are at least four transfers in--from Wood, GA, CE, and a Jersey school--who might play important roles--more than used to be the case, for sure.

I heard Roman got at least one player from Wood. Any other transfers in or out?

Was the Prep game Roman's worst last year? The final score could have been a fair bit worse than it was with Roman showing very little cohesion. They didn't look a whole lot better in the playoff game against LaSalle.

I believe Roman lost a defensive tackle to west Catholic. Have a safety from Wood who was a McDevitt player.
Prep game wasn’t the worse in my opinion the second lasalle game was hard to watch. They went into that game down 5 starters and it was over before it started. At least in the Prep game the offense was moving the ball and then they would get a penalty or a bad snap.
I think they will be much improved this year but I still don’t think they will be able to play with Prep or lasalle who have an inherited advantage.

Here is some more information on Wilson after viewing video by DC Ernie Wolber. This is in addition to post of Jul 5, 2022: District 3 vs Southeast PA on this board.
* Offense is the priority with entire backfield graduated from one of their more vanilla and one dimensional teams in years, scoring 31ppg; passing accounting for 23% of total yards and 25% of plays. Better but similar the year before scoring 32ppg, passing accounting for 39% of yards and 37% of plays. Haven’t had a threatening pass attack since 2019. Expect same (?) this year graduating FB Jadyn Jones (1390), QB Hoffman (1080 rushing!), working in green QBs. (Correction to Jul 5th write-up should have Hoffman at 846 pass yards not 1390). RBs will be first year starters, OL good with G, T, TE back.
* Defense a team strength in vet DB (one is PA FB Writers All State) and LB with 2 vets. DL returns 1 but coach says talented, goal is 2 platoon per talented depth.

---- First game for both with each getting good scrimmages vs Northeast for RC and Coatesville for Wilson. Looks like low scoring with Wilson’s greenness, but abilities on defense (DB) allowing more from a front that is well regarded. Record at Gurski is decent not great at 21-4 last five losing to high end teams Governor Mifflin, Manheim Township, Central Dauphin and Manheim Central. Check out Wilson’s Cam Jones (CB/ P-K Rtn….Rb?) to see Tyseer Denmark will not be the only special athlete on the field.

Last edited:
Here is some more information on Wilson after viewing video by DC Ernie Wolber. This is in addition to post of Jul 5, 2022: District 3 vs Southeast PA on this board.
* Offense is the priority with entire backfield graduated from one of their more vanilla and one dimensional teams in years, scoring 31ppg; passing accounting for 23% of total yards and 25% of plays. Better but similar the year before scoring 32ppg, passing accounting for 39% of yards and 37% of plays. Haven’t had a threatening pass attack since 2019. Expect same (?) this year graduating FB Jadyn Jones (1390), QB Hoffman (1080 rushing!), working in green QBs. (Correction to Jul 5th write-up should have Hoffman at 846 pass yards not 1390). RBs will be first year starters, OL good with G, T, TE back.
* Defense a team strength in vet DB (one is PA FB Writers All State) and LB with 2 vets. DL returns 1 but coach says talented, goal is 2 platoon per talented depth.

---- First game for both with each getting good scrimmages vs Northeast for RC and Coatesville for Wilson. Looks like low scoring with Wilson’s greenness, but abilities on defense (DB) allowing more from a front that is well regarded. Record at Gurski is decent not great at 21-4 last five losing to high end teams Governor Mifflin, Manheim Township, Central Dauphin and Manheim Central. Check out Wilson’s Cam Jones (CB/ P-K Rtn….Rb?) to see Tyseer Denmark will not be the only special athlete on the field.
Just saw Jones highlight film and offer list. Highlight film is phenomenal. Some lower level offers but after watching a few of his tapes, I fully expect to see the list grow with a strong season on the field. Will be interesting to see if they have Jones shadow Denmark. Our best athlete on your best athlete on an island. One of those battles inside the battle that makes this game of football so great. Should be an epic week 0 matchup

And no disrespect to Jones, but I find it hard to believe there is a better playmaker in the country no matter the class than Denmark. Now on the flipside, if Jones contains him/has success against him, the Power 5 schools will definitely notice and his recruiting could explode for him. I'll be rooting for his success either way

As far as Denmark goes, everyone knows they want to get him the ball. The players/coaches/refs/fans all know they will be trying to get it in his hands this year as many times as possible each game. Will be interesting to see how they get him the ball if the qb struggles or if the OLine isnt giving the qb time. I know they went wildcat alot last year. Did he throw the ball once out of the wildcat? Is he even a threat to throw it if the defense sells out upfront to stop him?

Also... how long of a leash does the jr qb have? The returning starter so of course it's his job to lose. Will the underclassmen qb push him for time? Will they have special packages for the younger guy just to get him on the field and some playing time?

Just saw Jones highlight film and offer list. Highlight film is phenomenal. Some lower level offers but after watching a few of his tapes, I fully expect to see the list grow with a strong season on the field. Will be interesting to see if they have Jones shadow Denmark. Our best athlete on your best athlete on an island. One of those battles inside the battle that makes this game of football so great. Should be an epic week 0 matchup

And no disrespect to Jones, but I find it hard to believe there is a better playmaker in the country no matter the class than Denmark. Now on the flipside, if Jones contains him/has success against him, the Power 5 schools will definitely notice and his recruiting could explode for him. I'll be rooting for his success either way

As far as Denmark goes, everyone knows they want to get him the ball. The players/coaches/refs/fans all know they will be trying to get it in his hands this year as many times as possible each game. Will be interesting to see how they get him the ball if the qb struggles or if the OLine isnt giving the qb time. I know they went wildcat alot last year. Did he throw the ball once out of the wildcat? Is he even a threat to throw it if the defense sells out upfront to stop him?

Also... how long of a leash does the jr qb have? The returning starter so of course it's his job to lose. Will the underclassmen qb push him for time? Will they have special packages for the younger guy just to get him on the field and some playing time?
Right, there are certainly a lot of questions entering game 1 for both teams.
And I forgot to list other Cam Jones' stats from last year.
* 1375 all-purpose years with 13 Tds.
* 7 K/P rtn'd for Tds, 5 or 6 called back.
Bear in mind this came against the guys below, going 4-4 against a strong group at 69-21 combined with their worst defense (21ppg) since 05.

Central Dauphin 5-3 27-21
Manheim Central 9-2 21-24L
Manheim Twp 6-5 21-14
York 7-3 50-32
Central York 10-1 14-11
Exeter 10-4 14-42L
Gov Mifflin 10-1 14-42L
Harrisburg 12-2 10-14L

Honestly, I'm not sure the freshman doesn't start at QB from the jump.

Only really go to see the highlights but QB seemed to look good. Howell looked impressive. And overall the team looked good after waking up after going down 2 scores early. Is Wilson up or down this year? How good of measuring stick are they?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT