ADVERTISEMENT

Roman/Malvern

newport

Nov 22, 2002
This seems like it's a good measuring stick for RC. Malvern is quite possibly the 2nd best team in the state. Statement win vs Imhotep last week with the backup qb playing alot of the game for the Friars. Roman seems to have the athletes to compete and keep it interesting. Dont think they have the luxury this week of having upwards of 100 yards in penalties and coming out victorious. Any chance they pull off the upset?

Last edited:
I've seen both play live this year and MP has looked more impressive IMO but that was with their starting QB so I think the game will be closer if Malvern has to start the freshman. Roman has faced some very weak competition and is not disciplined at all. I was at the PV game and there were maybe 1 or 2 questionable calls but all the other ones were blatant calls that anyone would have gotten, late hits, pass interference, false starts etc. I will take MP in this one because I think Malvern has one of the best defenses in the state, better on both O and D lines and has way better coaching than Roman.

If we limit penalties we win. Outside of maybe Imhotep, Roman may have the most athletes in the city. Limit the penalties and speed the game up and we’ll be fine. We’re not winning a slow game against malvern. Let’s get to the edge on offense and spread them out. Gotta be stout on stopping the run especially if they start the freshmen qb. This will be a good test overall and a close game would do us some justice in the long run.

Reactions: lilromeo
Roman will definitely have to limit the penalties to stay in this game. Malvern may be too much to overcome but a good game with Red division play starting next week. Also a good 5A barometer with Imhotep, Wood, and now Roman being a common opponent.
Whats the deal with the coaching not being able to limit the dumb penalties.

Whats the deal with the coaching not being able to limit the dumb penalties.
It’s just partially coaching if even that. Each school and area is different. Ride through some city neighborhoods and tell me it’s the cops. I avoid the city. If coaches cracked down on everything they wouldn’t be able to field a team. Roman is good and would of blown out prior PV teams even their down years.

I found Roman's discipline "problem" interesting. You can't help but notice how many times their players would hand the ball directly to an official after the play, even on several occasions when they had to go out of their way to retrieve the ball. It's a simple courtesy that seemed to be ingrained in these kids. Then, for whatever reason, one of them stands over a PV player after making a tackle. Stupid penalty. It just didn't make sense that these two things could be happening on the same team.

It’s just partially coaching if even that. Each school and area is different. Ride through some city neighborhoods and tell me it’s the cops. I avoid the city. If coaches cracked down on everything they wouldn’t be able to field a team. Roman is good and would of blown out prior PV teams even their down years.
I do see it as a coaching issue. They need to be told and taught and sat down if they dont adhere period. I dont see this at the prep,lasalle ,Wood or most other PCL teams except for maybe NG at times. IMO they can be an even better squad with a more disciplined team.

Roman certainly had opportunities to get points on the board. Credit to Malvern for bending but not breaking. Really good football team. Athletes everywhere. Studs in the trenches. Roman defense played really well. Agreed that they can find alot of positives in this loss

Overall good game played by two really good teams. Malvern had the advantage upfront and Roman had the advantage in the skill position. Both defenses played exceptionally well. These teams should match up yearly. Looks like things are evenly matched between Roman, Wood, and Imhotep with Wood having a few more questions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT