ADVERTISEMENT

Riley Robbel #55 bishop mcdevitt

Hausmann1978

May 5, 2021
Never heard of this kid until I watched the state title game last night. Apparently he is a wrestling heavy weight state champ too. The kid is unlockable and that might have been the most dominant performance in a state championship game I've ever seen. He did that against allquippa too. My Pitt Panthers need to get on the phone and offer that kid as scholarship ASAP. That kid is a monster!!

Reactions: Aragorn
Never heard of this kid until I watched the state title game last night. Apparently he is a wrestling heavy weight state champ too. The kid is unlockable and that might have been the most dominant performance in a state championship game I've ever seen. He did that against allquippa too. My Pitt Panthers need to get on the phone and offer that kid as scholarship ASAP. That kid is a monster!!
He was clearly the MVP of that game... committed to James Madison - I wonder if someone can flip him? That was an unbelievable performance.

He’s also the #3 heavyweight wrestler in the country. I know he wanted to play football, but he had Big Ten offers to wrestle.

The 3A state champ at heavyweight (Sean Kinney from Nazareth, also an all state football player) is ranked in the top 5 in the country, I’m not sure if Bishop McDevitt and Nazareth are in any of the same events this year, but that would be an incredible match up.

Edit - Bishop McDevitt goes to PowerAde and Escape the Rock as their big tournaments, Nazareth goes to Beast of the East and Virginia Duals, so they won’t see each other. Both teams were at Cumberland Valley last weekend, but Robell obviously wasn’t wrestling yet, and Kinney sat out with a minor injury. Darn.

He’s also the #3 heavyweight wrestler in the country. I know he wanted to play football, but he had Big Ten offers to wrestle.

The 3A state champ at heavyweight (Sean Kinney from Nazareth, also an all state football player) is ranked in the top 5 in the country, I’m not sure if Bishop McDevitt and Nazareth are in any of the same events this year, but that would be an incredible match up.

Edit - Bishop McDevitt goes to PowerAde and Escape the Rock as their big tournaments, Nazareth goes to Beast of the East and Virginia Duals, so they won’t see each other. Both teams were at Cumberland Valley last weekend, but Robell obviously wasn’t wrestling yet, and Kinney sat out with a minor injury. Darn.
I think with the amount of coaches there yesterday and the performance he had on the biggest stage he's going to have bigger offers coming in. At one point he timed the snap so well that he almost took the hand off. Allquippa has a monsterous line, were double teaming him all night, and still didn't have an answer for him. His performance in a state title game is up there with Derrell Revis, Brandon Short, and Daquon Hardey. That kid is a stud!!! Pitt give this kid an offer! He's special.

Last edited:
For those of you who care about wrestling, huge potential match up at PowerAde this weekend at Canon McMillan. Riley Robell is the two-seed.

He’ll likely see Notre Dame’s Aidan Compton in quarters. Compton is a Cornell recruit and that is a very likely 2A state final. If he wins that, he’ll likely get Nick Pavlechko of State College in semis. Pavlechko was 3rd in the state at 220 as a sophomore and is in the back half of the national rankings. He’s a likely 3A finalist.

If Robell gets through those two tough in state tests, he’ll see Jimmy Mullan of St. Joseph’s Regional in the final, a match up of the #1 and #2 heavyweights in the country. Mullen is a two time Jersey state champ and is committed to Virginia Tech to wrestle. This will be a rematch of last years PowerAde finals won 7-4 by Mullen.

Too bad the word wasn't out as it should be on Robell. He's well known in the district ..!..but hasn't got the coverage someone like OL Jven Wms at Wyomissing (PSU) got tho he's been a load for a few years, approaching this season with a hard on for anything in a different uniform. He interviewed saying in so many words he was pissed about losing to Aliquippa last year and wow, did he carry that torch against all opponents this year, then personally going wild against Quips.
Have noticed over the years the good wrestlers can be special on the football field. No clue personally but a friend mentioning something about particular strength and arm usage? Like to see him at Pitt on that defense with those coaches.

Too bad the word wasn't out as it should be on Robell. He's well known in the district ..!..but hasn't got the coverage someone like OL Jven Wms at Wyomissing (PSU) got tho he's been a load for a few years, approaching this season with a hard on for anything in a different uniform. He interviewed saying in so many words he was pissed about losing to Aliquippa last year and wow, did he carry that torch against all opponents this year, then personally going wild against Quips.
Have noticed over the years the good wrestlers can be special on the football field. No clue personally but a friend mentioning something about particular strength and arm usage? Like to see him at Pitt on that defense with those coaches.
Certainly there are programs that like to have linemen who wrestled, because of the way it teaches leverage and hand fighting. Under Jim Tressel, Ohio State had a run of defensive linemen who were elite high school heavyweights in addition to 4 star football recruits. Certainly part of that was DC Luke Fickell being a 3x state champ and probably the best heavyweight in Ohio history before he went on to play DT for the Buckeyes. Iowa has for years had a lot of football/wrestling crossovers - Tristan Wirfs, now of the Buccaneers, was an elite HS heavyweight.

Certainly around here there has always been crossover. I mentioned Sean Kinney earlier, he might get some all state nods this year. He’s a 6’3 290 junior left tackle for Nazareth who is gathering some FBS football attention, he’s also the #3 heavyweight in the country and is on track to be the first ever 4x state finalist at heavyweight in Pa, losing in OT as a freshman and winning last year. He’ll either be a MAC/low level power 5 offensive lineman or a Big Ten heavyweight. His quarterback, Sonny Sasso, is a state champ and top 20 overall recruit in this years class, headed to Virginia Tech, where he’ll wrestle 197 with the aforementioned Mullen at heavyweight in the future. Both Mullen and Sasso had serious FCS looks as football players. Easton in their heyday of course had the Marcus Millen/Jason Groller/Zack Pizarro/Tyler Greene types who were all All State in football and state medalists at 189-heavy.

Certainly Southern Columbia has had a ton of football/wrestling crossover - the Garcia brothers, Wesley Barnes this year, Preston Zachman, and I’m sure a bunch of others I’m not thinking of. Coy Wire, Jon Condo, Dave Armstrong, Jan Johnson, Callahan Bright, Nate Eachus, are all others who were elite at both and ended up high FBS recruits or NFL players.

Reactions: Stalker
if he is a stud, maybe he is better off not going to pitt- maybe better chance to play at JMU- good luck to him!!

The stream from Flo cut out this afternoon - but Robell lost to Jim Mullen 2-1, took a 0-0 match into the third, and Robell had choice. Got an escape to take the lead, but gave up a TD to the #1 heavyweight in America.

Reactions: Fletchster1
that makes no sense. If he's a stud, he'd be fine at PITT.
sure it makes sense- kids do that all the time, they go somewhere, based upon "chance to play." Assuming he is gonna play d-line, Pitt seems deep at d-line, if he goes there, maybe he does not play until year 3 or 4, maybe at JMU, maybe he redshirts then starts in year 2. Also, w extra covid years and transfer portal, the climate is crazy and tough for younger guys, probably a bunch of 6th year players at Pitt, more so than JMU.

Good for him if he gets offered from s/w like Pitt or Penn State, but again, those schools are more likely looking at kids in the portal, rather than HS kids.

sure it makes sense- kids do that all the time, they go somewhere, based upon "chance to play." Assuming he is gonna play d-line, Pitt seems deep at d-line, if he goes there, maybe he does not play until year 3 or 4, maybe at JMU, maybe he redshirts then starts in year 2. Also, w extra covid years and transfer portal, the climate is crazy and tough for younger guys, probably a bunch of 6th year players at Pitt, more so than JMU.

Good for him if he gets offered from s/w like Pitt or Penn State, but again, those schools are more likely looking at kids in the portal, rather than HS kids.
Maybe he doesn't start but maybe he does and he's an all acc first team player. You don't know but the kid can ball and he proved that against allquippa too. I think he'll be a beast where ever he goes.

Reactions: lilromeo
ADVERTISEMENT