ADVERTISEMENT

Ridley OC

Maybe he's changing coordinators because the offense was mediocre at best for 2 years. Of course , they gave the OC the keys to the school and a teaching job when most knowledgable Ridley people thought it was a bad idea 2 years ago.

Speed- you're right on that, very medicore. they were a mess on offense. However, Wood has never had an OC he likes; he ran thru them at Widener too.

Ridley tried to make both the principal and AD happy by getting both guys. there was tension in that deal early on. In fact when Gionta came in last year, they had 3 of 4 finalists for the job coaching there together.

People also weren't happy when wood looked into the malvern job last year either.

This will be a big year for Wood as he is now fielding a team that is %100 his team. His first year he inherited a very experienced team with over 30 seniors and most any competent coach would have won 10 games. Last year he had the junior leftovers from the Decker regime and missed out on the playoffs . This year - all his guys who only know his schemes and game plans ( although that could change with a new OC). So I think he needs to go 3-2, 4-1 against the big schools ( GV, UD, Stoga, Hav, Springfield) and win a playoff game in order for him to be a viable long term coach at Ridley.

If he goes 4-1 against the bigs and wins a playoff game next year with that talent they had a helluva year. Coach of the year. We all know the expectation is Ridley as a sum is to be better than its parts as a birthright but unless there is an influx of outside talent I think that's probably a tall task.

Think if I had my pick of rosters next year Ridley would be middle of the road in Central. I think they will be very competitive but winning a district playoff game a stretch in my opinion. I know it blasphemous but I think Wood doing pretty good job with program. I wouldn't be in that offense but defensively they do a nice job. Freshmen had good year last year but early results on this junior and senior group is they are entirely mediocre. He inherited three pretty average classes other than his first group of seniors. Said it a million times but the cheese moved in Central. Way more players staying in home districts, especially skill kids across the league. League has a lot of good players again next year especially at key spots (QB,RB,LBs).

GG. I know you and I go back and forth on this . I think you overrate the talent in the Central League , you think I overrate Ridleys talent . The truth as they say is probably somewhere in between. But I don't think you need to be Nick Saban to go 4-1, 3-2 against the bigs. Stoga and UD will be bad next year. Springfield loses a ton and they will come back to earth. They had Haverford beat last year and totally outplayed them except for some questionable coaching decisions. GV will be GV. So if they go 9-1, 8-2, they probably get a home playoff game which they would be expected to win. I'm not suggesting they should contend for a district title , but the above scenario is totally expected.

Green, I'm not convinced that Ridley is that much less talented than other CL schools, or that the talent in the Central is outstanding. A lot of very good HS players, but outside of the Haverford WR and Paoletti, there may not be a IA or FCS player in that league this past year. Springfield is the perfect example of just having hard workers and very good (but not exceptional talent). Ridley can match up on an annual basis.

I think a lot of the CL success comes down to preparation. GV, Springfield, Haverford and to some extent MN do a good job of preparing in the offseason and putting kids in position to be successful. Not sure Ridley's staff is at the same level yet. They had to replace Waller, Batty, Schnell, Thompson, and Bowden when they all basically left together.

Speed and Distone sorry for a delay in response. Wrapped in the hoops action over past six days. You guys both are reasonable and make good points. Couple things. No doubt the other programs have picked up the pace on the coaching and program building end. That's changed the landscape for sure vs the past. I also agree entirely that we aren't talking about top D1 type kids in these other programs but the amount of real high school players they now have is much much more than in the past. As recent as 5 to 7 years ago Springfield, Marple, Haverford, Garnet, Radnor and Upper Darby were not getting both the quantity and quality they are getting now. In fact not even close. Downfall of PCL with league changes and tuition increases combined with the hyper speed change to a national focus in private school setting has made staying in home district for good to very good players their best option.

Additionally after being around high school side for awhile I spent 10 years or so back at youth scene so I've personally seen the change and I'm familiar with a lot of the recent HS kids. I actually think Dave did very good job with his first team and last year I really don't think they lost to anyone that they were more talented then and probably beat an Upper Darby team that might have been a little bit more talented. I actually think Wood is a top three defensive coach in the county from scheme and X and O standpoint. Clearly knows the game very well.

We all know that isn't end all and be all at HS head coach spot. However looking at his talent objectively the only class where they are in upper third of the league is next years 10th graders. Doesn't mean he won't cobble it together and be very good. But for the scenario above to be totally expected is a stretch in my opinion. Again we all know what they say about opinions and there is no doubt that Ridley program history is best in the area and that talent isn't the only factor.

That said we know Garnet Valley going to be good and have two QBs back with experience and the best senior class in league with D1 lineman. Springfield loses a lot but bring back their QB and two LBs, one of whom is arguably best defensive player in the league. Think they will be better than expected because they have some kids who will be better than people think once they get their shot. Marple has more coming back then anyone realizes including best back in league and a very good senior class including two good LBs. This is Radnor's best senior class in long time and they have been on the field. Haverford brings back three year QB and has very good group of seniors and juniors. Strath Haven has very good junior class and seniors with experience. Clancy is fantastic and get a feeling he sees good things to come. Upper Darby junior class is scary good with both a QB and RB who will be difference makers with a ton of line size. League probably down a little from last year but not as far as many predict.

Point being that outside of Garnet Valley I don't think any other team in this league is going to go 9-1 or 8-2 by birth right anymore. Ridley was not a poor football team last year. The league they played in last year from top to bottom was way better than a normal Central League. The cheese moved. All these programs are getting players. It's going to be a year to year thing based upon who has what in particular classes. I know you guys don't agree which I respect. Delco football is better when Ridley is good. I love football tradition. My opinion is Wood a good football coach and there isn't a guy to wave the wand restore the natural order of things. Could be dead wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT