ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the board

D1 Transplant

Dec 7, 2014
The Morning Call had an article about the PIAA going to 6 classes. It looks like it passed the two votes needed to move forward on this. The article mentioned District 7 voted no, which isn't a surprise. They also said District 1 also voted no. That one I couldn't figure out. Anyone have a clue as to why D-1 would not want this?

the most obvious reason to me would be scheduling. Right now the Central League is comprised of 6 AAAA teams and 6 AAA teams. At the end of the year, the top AAAA teams in the central league end up losing significant power points to leagues that are ALL AAAA teams since a large prtion of the schedule is being played against AAA schools. If they go to 6 classes the divide becaomes even greater. In a perfect world, if you are a AAAAAA team, youd like to be able to play a 10 game schdule against other AAAAAA teams,but there may not be enough teams in your particular class or geographic region to support a 10 game schedule.

The PAC-10 is the same, but will possibly change for the better next year. PAC will add Upper Merion (3A) and Norristown (4A) for an even split similar to the Central League. However, the talk is 2 Divisions split by classification. The Regular Season schedule would include 5 games versus the same classification and a 6th week of "crossover" games based on Record (I.e. 1st in AAAA plays 1st in AAA, etc.). That would leave 4 Non-conference games at the front of the season. Spring-Ford has Wilson West-Lawn and Exeter on early schedule for next year and wouldn't play a 3A team till week 10 in a crossover game. This will help a SFord and Perk Valley with Playoff points moving forward.

D1-T, welcome back!. I tried searching for that article and the only one I found on the subject didn't mention D1. Is there a link? If it does pass, who knows where certain schools will end up. New enrollment figures for the next 2-year cycle are due next month.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT