ADVERTISEMENT

Public School Tuition for "out of district" students

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
I'm pretty sure some public schools in the WPIAL allow you to pay tuition to attend. Wondering - why not lobby to school boards to open this up. Charge a premium if people want to attend. No scholarships available. Cash on the barrelhead only. Would allow great schools to capitlaize on their greatness - in the classroom or in academics.

Reactions: lilromeo
Now we're talking!

As a starting point maybe this will get the wheels rolling:

There are obviously some options back in PA.

My understanding was you can go to another school as long as you pay that district -- so I don't think that's an issue.

What may be an issue is the PIAA saying if the motivation is to play for a better football team then it's a "no-no".

I don't know the answer but I like this direction and I'd like to see how this can be implemented.

Look - if you have a great athlete son or daughter and you live in a district that sucks at their sport why not be able to find a district that excels. Maybe work a scholarship out of it. I keep saying: This is America!! What made America great? The system of government that allowed people to exploit their talents.

See what I'm saying?

Let's stop acting like the Catholic schools are some mysterious, magical set-up that allows "free choice" while the publics are locked into some antiquated 18th century notion of how everything works.

Let's figure this out.

Alternatively, and as long as everyone else will agree with me, just let everything remain as is. We can just settle in to St. Joe's taking 3 out of 4 6A trophies for the rest of our lives and acknowledge the occasional team from out west that will win (D1 and D11 are done - no more playing for the championship as the best you get is your league title and the District title).

This is starting to feel like we're all being neutered with a few alpha schools left to take home the spoils (the rest of the schools can sweep up the confetti, etc.).

This has to change.

I'd rather be out recruited and out played on a level field than start the season each year knowing there was no hope of anything more than turning the lights out after the big boys get home from the party.

Last edited:
Just go after 8th grade. Wouldn’t this be exactly the private school model?

Now we're talking!

As a starting point maybe this will get the wheels rolling:

There are obviously some options back in PA.

My understanding was you can go to another school as long as you pay that district -- so I don't think that's an issue.

What may be an issue is the PIAA saying if the motivation is to play for a better football team then it's a "no-no".

I don't know the answer but I like this direction and I'd like to see how this can be implemented.

Look - if you have a great athlete son or daughter and you live in a district that sucks at their sport why not be able to find a district that excels. Maybe work a scholarship out of it. I keep saying: This is America!! What made America great? The system of government that allowed people to exploit their talents.

See what I'm saying?

Let's stop acting like the Catholic schools are some mysterious, magical set-up that allows "free choice" while the publics are locked into some antiquated 18th century notion of how everything works.

Let's figure this out.

Alternatively, and as long as everyone else will agree with me, just let everything remain as is. We can just settle in to St. Joe's taking 3 out of 4 6A trophies for the rest of our lives and acknowledge the occasional team from out west that will win (D1 and D11 are done - no more playing for the championship as the best you get is your league title and the District title).

This is starting to feel like we're all being neutered with a few alpha schools left to take home the spoils (the rest of the schools can sweep up the confetti, etc.).

This has to change.

I'd rather be out recruited and out played on a level field than start the season each year knowing there was no hope of anything more than turning the lights out after the big boys get home from the party.
The PIAA should not be involved with a parents decision regardless of the reason ,decides to send their student to another school outside their designated territory.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Why would anyone pay out of district tuition. You take a fake address above some pizza place. This has been happening for years in tons of districts. A lot of these public schools find very creative ways to get kids into programs.

In my own district a few years ago, one address had 31 kids registered there. School boards turn a blind eye in the name of diversity and kids getting a better educational chance. Goes on in every sport. Lots of addresses to be had for a lot cheaper than out of district tuition. I know of one place where two different parents split rent on a apartment. Football kid in the fall, Lacrosse kid in Spring. Both on rental agreement. Neither person or kid ever spent a night there.

Reactions: lilromeo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT