ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason Polls

RoverNation05

Aug 22, 2010
With kickoff ten days away, the two major state rankings have dropped. While a lot of preseason polls is copying other people's homework (see: Emmaus being ranked so high) they're a useful snapshot into consensus going into the year. Here are both the Pennlive (formerly the Harrisburg-Patriot News, which has the longest running preseason poll in the state, dating back to the 1980s) and PA Football News, plus some thoughts, which are statewide, but have some focus on the D11 teams in the rankings.

As an overall aside, this is the most D11 teams in the top 5 or 6 that I can remember in some time. The EPC South alone has three in Emmaus, Whitehall, and Bethlehem Catholic (across three classes, mind you), and 3A has two in the top four with North Schuylkill and Notre Dame (Green-Pond). I've written a lot about how I think the District has been down the last few years (particularly at 6A), but this snapshot doesn't necessarily seem to agree with me. Anyway, hope this sparks some discussion that's not "Eric Kasperowicz is the devil/Eric Kasperowicz is wrongly martyred football Jesus" or "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About the Philadelphia Catholic League but Were Afraid to Ask" (I kid). Enjoy.

6A
Pennlive
1. St. Joseph's Prep
2. Pittsburgh Central Catholic
3. Archbishop Wood
4. Central York
5. North Penn
6. Emmaus
7. Mount Lebanon
8. North Allegheny
9. LaSalle
10. Garnet Valley
HM: Central Dauphin, Delaware Valley, Manheim Township, Parkland, Pennridge, Wilson West Lawn
PA Football News
1. St. Joseph's Prep
2. Archbishop Wood
3. Pittsburgh Central Catholic
4. Central York
5. Emmaus
6. North Allegheny
7. Downingtown West
8. North Penn
9. Wilson West Lawn
10. Garnet Valley
HM: Spring-Ford, Delaware Valley, State College, LaSalle, Pennnridge, Coatesville
Thoughts: Seems to be a pretty clear top 4 (or I guess 1+3 with SJP and everybody else). Seems like from state level looks, District 1 is thought to be a little deeper than in years past with North Penn, DTW, Garnet Valley, Pennridge, Coatesville, and Spring-Ford all getting some love. I like what DTW has on the offensive line if they have the skill guys to take advantage. I'm utterly confused by Emmaus being a consensus top-6 team in the state. Yes, they were undefeated in the (abbreviated) regular season last year, but lost in teh playoffs to a terrible Easton team, and graduate all of their skill guys, including a three-year starter and all state running back in Brandon Camire and their four leading receivers. Yes, Jake Fotta looked like a solid QB as sophomore, but I don't think he's an FBS level kid who is going to carry the program to these kind of heights. Then again, Harold Fairclough is a really good coach, and I guess there is no other favorite in D11 (I'd probably pick Parkland?), so consensus was going to coalesce around somebody. But seems like weird hype to me. My only other thought is are we sure Central York is that good? I know Pribula has all the hype (though it'll be interesting to see if his Penn State commit holds with them going out and getting Drew Allar as a top 100 national player and the #7 QB in the same class), but as I think I've said on here, their playoff run last year got a lot of help from COVID-19 and teams forfeiting out of the tournament (Harrisburg, PCC). Maybe I'm the jerk.

5A
Pennlive
1. Imhotep Charter
2. Governor Mifflin
3. Gateway
4. Erie Cathedral Prep
5. Pine-Richland
6. Upper Dublin
7. Penn-Trafford
8. Whitehall
9. Academy Park
10. Moon
HM: Chester, Exeter Township, Manheim Central, Peters Township, WC Rustin
PA Football News
1. Imhotep Charter
2. Governor Mifflin
3. Upper Dublin
4. Gateway
5. Erie Cathedral Prep
6. Whitehall
7. Pine-Richland
8. WC Rustin
9. Moon
10. Malvern Prep
HM: Academy Park, Marple-Newtown, Manheim Central, Chester, Penn-Trafford
Thoughts: This is the most fun class on paper - Imhotep is probably the best team, but the way they are placed in the bracket they should have to go through a lot of the other best teams. They're chock full of FBS talent - Enai White, Keon Wylie, Emir Stinette, Khalif Kemp, Rahmir Stewart all are going to play big time football, with White and Stewart both borderline five stars in their class. God luck. Mifflin has the best skill player in the state in Nicholas Singleton who could have a season they ride to finals. Colin O'Sullivan is back for defending D1 champs Upper Dublin and could take a real leap as a junior. Lots of depth in D7 - that district has gotten so boring in 6A but in turn is a ton of fun here (all of the drama found on other threads aside). Sophomore Brad Birch at Gateway is probably the best QB recruit in the state regardless of class and it'll be fun to see him develop. I don't know much about the D1 teams, but this seems like the biggest group of contenders in a while. And look at little ol' Whitehall sitting with some of the state's best. They benefitted from COVID last year to win a D11 title (East Strodusburg South was one of the best teams in Pennsylvania, but had to forfeit out - and graduated absolutely everybody) and they still have to navigate a schedule against the EPC South (where they haven't had a lot of successs in the last five years), but they bring back pretty much their entire lineup, including Quinn Wetling, the best QB in the Valley, and their top 5 receivers and 3 running backs from last year. Could be a Final 4 team.

4A
Pennlive
1. Thomas Jefferson
2. Bishop McDevitt
3. Jersey Shore
4. Belle Vernon
5. Bethlehem Catholic
6. Aliquippa
7. Valley View
8. Berks Catholic
9. Cocalico
10. Pottsville
HM: Allentown Central Catholic, Bonner-Prendegrast, Lampeter-Strasburg, McKeesport, Shamokin
PA Football News
1. Thomas Jefferson
2. Bishop McDevitt
3. Jersey Shore
4. Bethlehem Catholic
5. Belle Vernon
6. Berks Catholic
7. Valley View
8. Pottsville
9. Aliquippa
10. Bishop Shanahan
HM: Allentown Central Catholic, Cocalico, Northwestern Lehigh, Pope John Paul II, Bonner-Prendegrast
Thoughts: Thomas Jefferson going for a three-peat is the headliner, though Bishop McDevitt should be really, really good, with a load of Divsiion I players (heard taht before?) and Marquis Williams is probably the best player in the class. Interesting to see Bethlehem Catholic all the way up at #4 after firing their head coach and bringing in Kyle Haas. He had an interesting quote in the Morning Call the other day about how nice it was to be at Becahi in 4A where you're not staring at a St. Joseph's Prep matchup in state quarterfinals. Jared Richardson is back at QB after missing a lot of last year with a broken collarbone and they're led by UNC bound offensive lineman Justin Kanyuk, but will have to replace tailback Rahmel Terry, who tore his ACL in the spring.

3A
Pennlive
1. North Schuylkill
2. Central Valley
3. Wyomissing
4. Notre Dame (GP)
5. Scranton Prep
6. Bedford
7. Neumann-Goretti
8. Hickory
9. Elizabeth-Forward
10. Central Martinsburg
HM: Clearfield, Danville, Montoursville, North Catholic, St. Mary's, Western Wayne
PA Football News
1. North Schuylkill
2. Wyomissing
3. Central Valley
4. Notre Dame (GP)
5. Bedford
6. Central
7. Scranton Prep
8. Neumann-Goretti
9. Elizabeth-Forward
10. Hickory
HM: Danville, North Catholic, St. Mary's, Western Wayne, Grove City
Thoughts: A District 11 team at #1! It's been a while since we've seen that. The Spartans smoked Notre Dame last year in the D11 finals, and return 14 starters, including their entire offensive backfield, and should be loaded agin. Notre Dame brings back all state QB and Villanova baseball commit Colin Quintano, in his third year as a starter for Phil Stambaugh's high flying offense. They'll need to find a way to play a little more defense than they have in the past to contend for something bigger. In between the two D11 schools are returning state finalist Wyomissing and Central Valley. Central Valley returns Landon Alexander, who ran for over 1,400 yards last year for the state champs, and while Wyomissing only brings back 7 starters (including all state tight end and Richomond commit Aiden Mack), they've been on of the most consistently excellent programs in the class.

2A
Pennlive
1. Southern Columbia
2. Farrell
3. Richland Township
4. Sto-Rox
5. McGuffey
6. South Williamsport
7. Wilmington
8. Bellwood-Antis
9. Beaver Falls
10. Windber
HM: Chestnut Ridge, Dunmore, Serra Catholic, Washington, York Catholic
PA Football News
1. Southern Columbia
2. Farrell
3. Sto-Rox
4. Richland Township
5. Neshannock
6. Windber
7. McGuffey
8. Bellwood-Antis
9. Wilmington
10. South Williamsport
HM: Beaver Falls, Karns City, Bald Eagle Area, Serra Catholic, Northern Lehigh
Thoughts: Southern Columbia, next question? With no real D11 presence here (what a fall for some of the small Colonial League schools - it's good to see Northern Lehigh in one of the HMs, because they've long been an excellent little school who has fallen on hard times recently) I can't say I know a ton about the landscape, other than the Tigers and the Gavin Garcia show I'm sure are really, really good.

1A
Pennlive
1. Steelton-Highspire
2. Muncy
3. Old Forge
4. Clairton
5. Redbank Valley
6. Bishop Guilfoyle
7. Rochester
8. Tri-Valley
9. Williams Valley
10. Juniata Valley
HM: Canton, Delone Catholic, Nativity-BVM, Northern Bedford, Our Lady of the Sacred Heart
PA Football News
1. Muncy
2. Steelton-Highspire
3. Old Forge
4. Clairton
5. Redbank Valley
6. Tri-Valley
7. Williams Valley
8. Bishop Guilfoyle
9. Shenango
10. Northern Bedford
HM: California, Delone Catholic, Canton, Juniata Valley, Rochester
Thoughts: Steel High is still one of the best teams in the state despite losing Mekhi Flowers to transfer. But Alex Leby is another rising QB recuit who led them to a title as a freshman and the Rollers should be really good again. That's about all I've got for you on the little guys.

Reactions: lilromeo
It should be exciting year of football. The preseason rankings I don't always agree with but they are fun. How is ecp, wood, Farrell, ect.. forced to move up but southern Columbia stays at 2a. It's a flawed system.

Reactions: lilromeo
Did Farrell have to move up, or did they choose to? Looking at the competition formula, here's what the official rules look like: Schools have the option to move up if they achieve at least 6 points for postseason performance (basically, if you make two straight final fours, or a final and a quarterfinal). Schools are required to move up if they have three or more transfers of students entering 10th through 12th grade. I don't know much, if anything about Farrell other than that they're good, but are they electing up or did they have three kids transfer in? My understanding on Southern Columbia is if they're getting kids, they come in during the 8th to 9th grade summer, which under the rules is totally legal and doesn't count. If it wasn't, wouldn't that then force every private school up a level every cycle?

As for preseason rankings, it's entirely a talking point, they don't actually matter. But talking points are exactly what we should be doing in August! And, correct or not, it reframes how I think about teams like Emmaus and Bethlehem Catholic, who now become bigger games on the Easton schedule in my mind, solely because of this silly little exercise (we'll lose to both). I do think a lot of it is "what teams were good last year/what players are elite" and fill that in, so it'll change quickly. But it gives us a frame of reference for next weekend.

** Farrell was forced per formula to move up and lost their appeal along with Wood announced back in January; Wood to 6A, Farrell to 2 despite Wood being a 4 who was already playing "up"
** Aliquippa cancelled their appeal, will play at 4A
** Wilmington and SCA won their appeals, both staying at 2A

Southern really catches a break despite winning titles by huge margins consistently. The catch is SCA students can attend Columbia-Montour Vo Tech for training. Anyone can with the added benefit of also playing any sport at SCA! Sweet deal.

** Farrell was forced per formula to move up and lost their appeal along with Wood announced back in January; Wood to 6A, Farrell to 2 despite Wood being a 4 who was already playing "up"
** Aliquippa cancelled their appeal, will play at 4A
** Wilmington and SCA won their appeals, both staying at 2A

Southern really catches a break despite winning titles by huge margins consistently. The catch is SCA students can attend Columbia-Montour Vo Tech for training. Anyone can with the added benefit of also playing any sport at SCA! Sweet deal.
I mean, Wood is exactly what the rule is designed for, they hand pick a roster and should be competing with SJP.

And that doesn’t separate SCA from a lot of school districts. The Easton Vo-Tech school has always been a part of the school district and their kids have played sports for Easton. Same for the Easton Academy alternative behavioral school when it existed (Kegan Handlovic was a 2x state champion wrestler who was at EA at least his junior year).

Am I right that 3A is probably the most interesting class statewide, with 4A on its heels? And 5A in the WPIAL is probably the most interesting single district? And 6A is both kind of boring and a total crapshoot if that’s possible?

Reactions: new2pa
I mean, Wood is exactly what the rule is designed for, they hand pick a roster and should be competing with SJP.

And that doesn’t separate SCA from a lot of school districts. The Easton Vo-Tech school has always been a part of the school district and their kids have played sports for Easton. Same for the Easton Academy alternative behavioral school when it existed (Kegan Handlovic was a 2x state champion wrestler who was at EA at least his junior year).

Am I right that 3A is probably the most interesting class statewide, with 4A on its heels? And 5A in the WPIAL is probably the most interesting single district? And 6A is both kind of boring and a total crapshoot if that’s possible?
Wood dressed 31 kids in finals in 2019.
3 were kickers.
Rob Jackson, a basketball player, was only D1 player, and he never played football.
That’s a hand picked roster?
They were moved up due to 3 transfers in 2 year period, 2 of which were not fb related, and they barely played, and the other left after 1 year.

Rover, with all due respect to you ,Wood is not the old Devlins recruited Wood. They are a 3 A team playing 6 A and have some very good players that decided to go there . When McD closed 5 players transferred to Roman and a bunch to Wood following their former coach Mike Watkins. Many of those players could have gone to Imhotep, Northeast ,Abington, Cheltenham ,Upper Moreland or Springfield.

Rover, with all due respect to you ,Wood is not the old Devlins recruited Wood. They are a 3 A team playing 6 A and have some very good players that decided to go there . When McD closed 5 players transferred to Roman and a bunch to Wood following their former coach Mike Watkins. Many of those players could have gone to Imhotep, Northeast ,Abington, Cheltenham ,Upper Moreland or Springfield.
Wood could be a 4A now with McD transfers did not check this out.

3 were kickers.
Rob Jackson, a basketball player, was only D1 player, and he never played football.
They were moved up due to 3 transfers in 2 year period, 2 of which were not fb related, and they barely played, and the other left after 1 year.
Agreed. Wood's 2019 championship was quite freaky, especially the semi-final game. Their roster was nothing like their rosters from the first half of the decade.

3 were kickers.
Let me add this to that squad that played and won the state championship against Cheltenham. Two of Cheltenhams starters played at Wood and transfered to the Panthers .

News breaking up here this morning that Emmaus quarterback Jake Fotta tore his ACL in camp and is out for the year. Fotta threw for over 1,000 yards in five games last year and was a big part of why the Green Hornets were ranked as high as #5 in these polls. Sophomore Josiah Williams, who was slated to start at middle linebacker is the next man up. He’s a big quarterback (6’3 215 as a 10th grader) who started in centerfield for the Emmaus baseball team that made state quarterfinals. He’s is probably a little more of a run threat than Fotta, and judging from him as a baseball player the arm works. But this clears out all of the skill guys for Emmaus and expecting them to be a top five team in the state is probably a little much at this point.

News breaking up here this morning that Emmaus quarterback Jake Fotta tore his ACL in camp and is out for the year. Fotta threw for over 1,000 yards in five games last year and was a big part of why the Green Hornets were ranked as high as #5 in these polls. Sophomore Josiah Williams, who was slated to start at middle linebacker is the next man up. He’s a big quarterback (6’3 215 as a 10th grader) who started in centerfield for the Emmaus baseball team that made state quarterfinals. He’s is probably a little more of a run threat than Fotta, and judging from him as a baseball player the arm works. But this clears out all of the skill guys for Emmaus and expecting them to be a top five team in the state is probably a little much at this point.
[/QUO
Feel horrible for that kid, especially being that it's senior year and they had the covid season last year. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery and gets a chance to play college ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT