ADVERTISEMENT

Prep/St Eds

newport

Nov 22, 2002
Preps defense, even without Maxwell Roy, should be able to keep the Hawks in the game. Do they have enough offense to win this game on the road? Who is under center this year for Prep? Dont know much about St Ed's but they do have a game under their belt already heading into this nationally ranked matchup. Any and all insight is appreciated

Preps defense, even without Maxwell Roy, should be able to keep the Hawks in the game. Do they have enough offense to win this game on the road? Who is under center this year for Prep? Dont know much about St Ed's but they do have a game under their belt already heading into this nationally ranked matchup. Any and all insight is appreciated
Offense have the less experience of the team. Still some vets offensively but they lost so much last year. Look them to lean heavily on that run game with that impressive back field. Defense is where they’ll hang their hat. This team collectively may be faster than last year’s team on defense. Roy was a huge lost but they still bring back 3 or 4 power 4 guys. Corners are both young that’s the only position of question. Heard from a few Prep guys that they got after St. John’s last week. Verdict is still out!!!!

Final was 35-21.

I listened to much of the game. It was 0-0 about four minutes into the second quarter and then things fell apart for the Prep--lots of penalties, including a hold on a kick return that a few plays later resulted in a blocked punt in the endzone that resulted in a St. Ed's TD. Kick return for a TD just before the half was the dagger.

The Prep will take something positive away from the second half. Lots of room to improve over the course of the season.

Even to a team of St Ed's quality, still pretty surprised that the Prep D gave up that many points
Didn't listen to the whole game, but it wasn't the D that gave up all the points. One St. Ed's TD came from a recovery of a blocked punt in the end zone and another came on a kick return. And it seemed one came right after an interception in SJP territory.

The stats about penalties will be telling, but they won't say how some of the first half penalties came at crucial points, e.g. the hold on the SJP kickoff return that resulted in their starting at their own 6 and then having to punt from deep in their endzone--the punt that got blocked to make the score 14-0.

This will be a very interesting year.

yawn they're still a lock for at least the state semis, which would be their worst season in about 10 years

their worst season is 99% of teams best season

yawn they're still a lock for at least the state semis, which would be their worst season in about 10 years

their worst season is 99% of teams best season
So how much do you know about LaSalle or IMHOTEP?

Prep’s defense didn’t play bad. Special teams was horrible. First time I seen prep look this bad in specials. First half got out of hand bc they allowed a block punt recovered in end zone for td , fumbled ko , and a kickoff returned for a td. That’s 21 points given up on specials. They loss by 14. Can’t give up that many points on ST and expect to win. Like others said it’s fixable.

Prep’s defense didn’t play bad. Special teams was horrible. First time I seen prep look this bad in specials. First half got out of hand bc they allowed a block punt recovered in end zone for td , fumbled ko , and a kickoff returned for a td. That’s 21 points given up on specials. They loss by 14. Can’t give up that many points on ST and expect to win. Like others said it’s fixable.
Probably didn't help that this was the Prep's first game--it was St. Edward's second--after just one scrimmage. The Prep also got lots of penalties--again, something fixable. My impression from listening to just over half the game was that the offensive line was having problems. This was my biggest concern since four of the six are new starters. I expect they'll get better week-on-week.

More than likely those two will be there at the end to face probably the prep
Lilromeo,

Hope y’all well, missed you guys, especially you & Tulla. I see Relayer often, “Yes” pals for life!!

Tep will be Tep, some discipline errors will happen but will still be a major force to deal with.
LS will be much improved under BG, anticipate will take him a few years to get program where he desires. The signs are there already. Assuming some $$ support needed to offset the Prep dynasty.
Prep will be fine…. that massive OL will mature & mow down opponents as season goes forward. Their D will also, the talent is there. Uncharacteristic errors made in 1st game away vs big-time opposition.

Last edited:
Lilromeo,

Hope y’all well, missed you guys, especially you & Tulla. I see Relayer often, “Yes” pals for life!!

Tep will be Tep, some discipline errors will happen but will still be a major force to deal with.
LS will be much improved under BG, anticipate will take him a few years to get program where he desires. The signs are there already. Assuming some $$ support needed to offset the Prep dynasty.
Prep will be fine…. that massive OL will mature & mow down opponents as season goes forward. Their D will also, the talent is there. Uncharacteristic errors made in 1st game away vs big-time opposition.
Where will the prep /Erasmus hall game be played saturday evening. Its Preps home game I believe.

I was hoping for a much better location than Norristown.
You're not the only one.

I don't know what the best solution would be. I'd love to see SJP and Roman--maybe one or two other teams as well--go in on a decent, relatively central home field.

Reactions: lilromeo
You're not the only one.

I don't know what the best solution would be. I'd love to see SJP and Roman--maybe one or two other teams as well--go in on a decent, relatively central home field.
I agree. Prep used Norristown for last yr’s playoff game against Lasalle. I think they liked the size. Location isn’t great for prep fans and alumni. I’m sure between Prep/Roman admin they can come up with a location within the city.

I agree. Prep used Norristown for last yr’s playoff game against Lasalle. I think they liked the size. Location isn’t great for prep fans and alumni. I’m sure between Prep/Roman admin they can come up with a location within the city.
It was supposed to be O’Hara but the coaching staff shot it down this year. Frankly, O’Hara in general was OK with it, and they would be the beneficiary of the revenue, but it seems a case of paranoia set in with the coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: MC1975
What facilities that are actually in the city would be the ideal one to use?

In a perfect world, you'd probably put something in Fairmount Park for SJP and Roman to use? That's actually near the schools, I'm not sure who else is local to that from the public league that has football? I'm assuming that'd only work if you had Pub league teams use it an SJP and Roman rented it from the school district?

What facilities that are actually in the city would be the ideal one to use?

In a perfect world, you'd probably put something in Fairmount Park for SJP and Roman to use? That's actually near the schools, I'm not sure who else is local to that from the public league that has football? I'm assuming that'd only work if you had Pub league teams use it an SJP and Roman rented it from the school district?
Big Picture Thoughts:

Roman used to use Cahill Field at 29th and Allegheny. Stands were well back from the field but could accommodate a crowd of 7-8 thousand. Don't know who owned it (the Archdiocese?) but I assume it was sold a long, long time ago. Didn't have parking and wasn't close enough to a subway station.

For both Roman and the Prep having a really good football team has limited value for the school community (including the alumni) if it's really hard for nearly all of them to get to games (as it is when they're played in Norristown) and they're not available via streaming. Bob Long does a nice job with LaSalle games. Not sure why neither Roman nor SJP has done something similar.

Catholic league teams used to play occasionally at Villanova. No idea why that hasn't happened in about 10 years. There are obvious advantages to the site. I assume nothing is suitable at LaSalle, not even the old McCarthy "Stadium". But if there is some workable space there, there would be advantages to the site. My impression was that Franklin Field worked well for the SJP-LaSalle games in recent years. Surely the PCL could negotiate a workable date with Penn--maybe for SJP-Roman and Roman-LaSalle too--as long as the price isn't too high.

I've often wondered if the South Philly supersite (12th and Bigler, just off the Expressway) wouldn't be really good for SJP and maybe Roman too--not too far from the subway and certainly convenient for people coming from Jersey, the Northeast (via 95) and much of Delco (Parking isn't great but not impossible.) What the site needs is an upgrade to the turf, the stands, etc. But it's big enough.

Finally, we all know the Archdiocese has a lot of properties--e.g. the Hallahan site and numerous ones where a church (often with adjoining former school/rectory/convent properties--it is no longer using for their original purposes. I'd bet more than one has real potential as a football (maybe track too) site with enough room to seat at least a couple of thousand people. It might not be so close to the subway and parking will almost always be a problem, but it would certainly be better than Widener, Norristown, the Germantown site Roman has sometimes used, and even P-W, which had its own problems for SJP.

Will SJP-LaSalle be at Franklin Field again this year?
No, LS is home and elected to play it at Norristown this year. It's Norristown as of now, I heard whispers they are looking at other venues. They tried for Villanova on a Friday night but 'Nova declined because of the logistics of getting the facility cleaned for Saturday.

Where will the prep /Erasmus hall game be played saturday evening. Its Preps home game I believe.
Nice win for the Prep. Next week vs #1 team in Maryland Good Council. FYI,Calvert Hall was ranked #11 in Maryland before LaSalle beat them this week.

Big Picture Thoughts:

Roman used to use Cahill Field at 29th and Allegheny. Stands were well back from the field but could accommodate a crowd of 7-8 thousand. Don't know who owned it (the Archdiocese?) but I assume it was sold a long, long time ago. Didn't have parking and wasn't close enough to a subway station.

For both Roman and the Prep having a really good football team has limited value for the school community (including the alumni) if it's really hard for nearly all of them to get to games (as it is when they're played in Norristown) and they're not available via streaming. Bob Long does a nice job with LaSalle games. Not sure why neither Roman nor SJP has done something similar.

Catholic league teams used to play occasionally at Villanova. No idea why that hasn't happened in about 10 years. There are obvious advantages to the site. I assume nothing is suitable at LaSalle, not even the old McCarthy "Stadium". But if there is some workable space there, there would be advantages to the site. My impression was that Franklin Field worked well for the SJP-LaSalle games in recent years. Surely the PCL could negotiate a workable date with Penn--maybe for SJP-Roman and Roman-LaSalle too--as long as the price isn't too high.

I've often wondered if the South Philly supersite (12th and Bigler, just off the Expressway) wouldn't be really good for SJP and maybe Roman too--not too far from the subway and certainly convenient for people coming from Jersey, the Northeast (via 95) and much of Delco (Parking isn't great but not impossible.) What the site needs is an upgrade to the turf, the stands, etc. But it's big enough.

Finally, we all know the Archdiocese has a lot of properties--e.g. the Hallahan site and numerous ones where a church (often with adjoining former school/rectory/convent properties--it is no longer using for their original purposes. I'd bet more than one has real potential as a football (maybe track too) site with enough room to seat at least a couple of thousand people. It might not be so close to the subway and parking will almost always be a problem, but it would certainly be better than Widener, Norristown, the Germantown site Roman has sometimes used, and even P-W, which had its own problems for SJP.
Tulla, I never understood La Salle U not using McCarthey Stadium for Catholic League games. Unless the price is too high I think it would be a perfect location for most of the teams. Haven't been there since forever but it holds a good amount of people.

Reactions: lilromeo
Tulla, I never understood La Salle U not using McCarthey Stadium for Catholic League games. Unless the price is too high I think it would be a perfect location for most of the teams. Haven't been there since forever but it holds a good amount of people.
It's still on the campus map!. There's some campus parking nearby and enough seating for just about any PCL game. There could be many reasons why the "university"--it and SJU will always be "colleges" to me--would not allow its use by high schools. I suppose the field is now used by soccer, lacrosse, etc. and they're afraid it will be damaged by football.

Nice win for the Prep. Next week vs #1 team in Maryland Good Council. FYI,Calvert Hall was ranked #11 in Maryland before LaSalle beat them this week.
In the last many years, Good Counsel and Calvert Hall have been on quite different levels. It will be interesting to see if in the coming years LaSalle starts scheduling higher-level out-of-area games. It's not always easy to figure out who will have very strong teams in a given year. Erasmus Hall, for instance, had a much better team two years ago when they played SJP at Franklin Field. Saturday night's game was not a good test for SJP.

Reactions: MC1975
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT