ADVERTISEMENT

Possible District 1 playoff teams?

IAdelco

Nov 7, 2011
Almost time for camp. I know teams are active showing how good they are in 7on7s in helmets and shorts. I thought it would be fun to see if we could anticipate/predict who could potentially be seeded in District 1 6A playoff for 2018 season since the Eastern PA state preseason rankings came out.

I'll try my luck first since I started the thread.
I'll take Garnet Valley and Haverford High from the Central. The winner of their game would earn the higher seed. I know the game is at Haverford High this year but I lean towards Garnet Valley.

In the Package, I go with Springford to win the league. Another team could sneak in. Maybe an OJ again or maybe a Boyertown. Perk Valley has an extremely difficult non league schedule. I think they could be a 5-5 team this year. 6-4 would probably get them in however and then Boyertown and OJ would be most likely out.

I think 3 teams will make it from the Chestmont. Coatesville, both Downingtowns and Avon Grove will fight it out for 3 spots. Coatesville, DWest, and Avon Grove have the most difficult non league slates on paper so injuries could mount with losses and one of these teams will fall out of the top 16 by the end of OCTOBER.

Suburban 1 as usual carries the most teams because almost all the teams in Suburban 1 leagues are 6A. North Penn, Neshaminy, Pennsbury, Pennridge should be locks. CB South, Truman and CBEast should get in with Bensalem being hit or miss again.

Anyone I am missing? Anyone on this list where I am completely off base. I looked at schedules and thought I have a decent ideas of the teams but I pale in comparison of breakdowns compared to the usual suspects on this page. Guess that is my pathetic way of asking Slayer, Rover, Chestmont and the rest of the you boys for some help. Then we can move on to Lehigh Valley and District 3 and see if we can predict who is coming out of those Districts. No need to do District 12. We already know who is coming out of that District.

Good as any list IAdelco. Let's see how Ridley comes out of Judge, G-Val and SField in first 3 games. That will tell you.

I think your spot on. Anyone not on your list will have to surprise a lot of people.

CR-South should be good his year. Have a bunch returning and played well to end last season. Problem is in addition to Neshaminy and Pennsbury, they also have North Penn and CB-South on the schedule.

Speaking of CB-South, they open with S-F, DTW and CRS. We should know alot about the Titans after week 3.

Seems Stalker would like to nominate Ridley as suprise team #1
You know they are always in the conversation despite G-Val eclipsing them more recently and of course are a historic power here in Delco and beyond at times. They've slipped a rung to maybe CB South's level but like Titans (see Relayer) they're always a factor. They can be a Mean Green Machine with a few players.

Do they have alot of players returning? Does the quarterback return? What was there record last year in their last 5 games of the season? How did they fair against Garnet, Haverford High, Springfield and Marple last year? These are all good questions that may help determine whether or not the Green Raiders can return to the playoffs this year. Is it possible? Absolutely, but these are some of the questions that I think can help us determine that. Unfortunately I do not have all of these answers.

Ridley lost to Haverford 9-13
lost to GV 14-24
lost to Marple 12-14
lost to Springfield 7-42

Not a great sign. However, most og those games seem close so I guess there is hope provided they were not decimated by graduation again.

Not a great sign. However, most og those games seem close so I guess there is hope provided they were not decimated by graduation again.
No hope needed IAdelco, the program has not had a losing season since 1955. Wow! No horse in the race but they are one of the premier/winningest programs in state. Simplifying but last year's 7-4 is only bad at programs like Ridley, North Penn, Cumberland Valley, Pitt CC, Parkland and others.

Reactions: Soup13
You have to consider the SOL American when creating a playoff picture. Quakertown and/or Hatboro-Horsham I can see pushing for seedings. Q-Town and H-H open up with CB West/East and Souderton.

New staffs at West and Pennridge could cause some growing pains. However Pennridge will be big up front with good talent.

Last edited:
Stalker totally get what your saying but will a winning record get them into the playoffs? I absolutely believe they will have a winning record. But with all of that being said, can the accumulate enough points to get into the playoffs? Maybe a #15 or #16 seed and a rematch with either Garnet Valley or Coatesville. Seems like the Green Raiders will have another month to prepare for the Bucks on Thanksgiving!

I'll try my luck first since I started the thread.
I'll take Garnet Valley and Haverford High from the Central. The winner of their game would earn the higher seed. I know the game is at Haverford High this year but I lean towards Garnet Valley.

In the Package, I go with Springford to win the league. Another team could sneak in. Maybe an OJ again or maybe a Boyertown. Perk Valley has an extremely difficult non league schedule. I think they could be a 5-5 team this year. 6-4 would probably get them in however and then Boyertown and OJ would be most likely out.

I think 3 teams will make it from the Chestmont. Coatesville, both Downingtowns and Avon Grove will fight it out for 3 spots. Coatesville, DWest, and Avon Grove have the most difficult non league slates on paper so injuries could mount with losses and one of these teams will fall out of the top 16 by the end of OCTOBER.

Suburban 1 as usual carries the most teams because almost all the teams in Suburban 1 leagues are 6A. North Penn, Neshaminy, Pennsbury, Pennridge should be locks. CB South, Truman and CBEast should get in with Bensalem being hit or miss again.

Anyone I am missing? Anyone on this list where I am completely off base. I looked at schedules and thought I have a decent ideas of the teams but I pale in comparison of breakdowns compared to the usual suspects on this page. Guess that is my pathetic way of asking Slayer, Rover, Chestmont and the rest of the you boys for some help. Then we can move on to Lehigh Valley and District 3 and see if we can predict who is coming out of those Districts. No need to do District 12. We already know who is coming out of that District.
IA - Coatesville is the obvious favorite for the Chesmont but they have some holes to fill. Hoping they can replicate last years success in states but we will see. DEast is next up as they are a team that reloads with lineman, LB and now skill players. In my opinion Avon Grove is the next program up and are on the uptick w Coach Harry, very very supportive booster club (and loaded $) plus add in Freshman football for the first time in 7-10 years. DWest has a great QB and many players coming back but they don’t have the line to hold up come playoff time. Wetzel and Richard will be awesome LBs and if they can get the d line to disrupt and slow down the run game they’ll be tough and make a run for third place. Shanahan lost almost everybody. I still think they’ll have leg up on East and Henderson for 5th place and beyond as Meyers reloads and is a thorn in the side of the 6A teams.

I follow Central League pretty closely. I have no problem with what Coach Wood has done, so this is not a shot at Ridley - but I think in addition to GV and Haverford as playoff teams in 6A, we may want to discuss Upper Darby as the third team. They have had strong freshman and JV teams now for about four years straight. From what I understand, Ridley will be just fine, but this is probably not the year for their return to the big stage.

I think Central League proved last year that they are significantly underrated especially in the top half - take a look at the playoff results. The top five teams this year are definitely GV, Springfield, Haverford, UD, and Ridley. After that it's Marple, Radnor, and Strath Haven. Those seven teams have a shot at the post-season (3-7 16 seed doesn't count). Anyone want to fill me in on what's going on at Stoga - any shot they will be back any time soon?

DD: UD may have playoff caliber talent, but not playoff caliber coaching staff. They have not won many big games over the years and they always manage to shoot themselves in the foot every year and lose a game to someone they should beat.

Stoga is years away from contending again-if at all. They just hired a new coach who will need time to get his system in place. More important, their numbers are woefully poor. Im hearing not more than 40 kids for a 6A program.

DD: UD may have playoff caliber talent, but not playoff caliber coaching staff. They have not won many big games over the years and they always manage to shoot themselves in the foot every year and lose a game to someone they should beat.

Stoga is years away from contending again-if at all. They just hired a new coach who will need time to get his system in place. More important, their numbers are woefully poor. Im hearing not more than 40 kids for a 6A program.
How’s Ridley looking Speed?

Look for C. B. West to win 6 or 7 which should make the playoffs. Depth could be a problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT