ADVERTISEMENT

PIne-Richland 2022

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
Time for a new thread...

Latest news. P-R school board president removed from his position. He is still on the board but now in charge of oversight of .... the cafeteria.

First real board meeting is next Monday. Hearing that it should be very interesting - football of course, but much larger issues too.

Still skeptical that the new board will make the changes necessary, but we'll know more next Monday.

Reactions: Bighead75
I don’t know if he does or not. But I don’t think he will have a choice.

We’ll see on Monday.

Reactions: HSFB99
Of course Campos wants to return!! He got a pay raise from 6K to 10K!! AND, he gets a chance to finally win a championship, after 40 years of coaching!! AND, hey, I am little fuzzy on this, but last month might have been his first ever playoff win as a head coach, at any level!!

But seriously, I'm not sure what will happen, but I can tell you, that most likely 90% of parents of kids, have been counting down the days to when Campos leaves, and they can return to having a QUALITY football coaching staff. My guess is that the job will not be "opened" until January. Might be better to wait, until high school and college football seasons are "over."

Reactions: new2pa
A couple questions. Can Coach K come back? Does he want to come back? Lost track of him after the school board bottomed up. Be nice having PR back in the discussion and a bunch of other historic teams that tanked this year. Hopefully an anomaly.

Reactions: lilromeo
The position is not currently open. There is some (more than) rumors in the community that it will be opened at the next board meeting. The booster club has gotten involved from what I hear.

I think he wants to come back, but can't be 100% certain. The deal with Pitt's OC leaving is probably going to make an opening down there. (And he was a volunteer coach there this year.) I have no idea if he will get an offer to become a full time coach or not, but I think that's the only thing that could make him not want to come back.

Also, his son is a pretty good QB and will be a sophomore next fall.

Mike has been following this story in depth, more so than myself, but I have never seen a coach come back after being on an Improvement Plan, and then having their contract terminated. Not saying it won't happen, but being on an Improvement Plan is a huge RED flag for any school district. More importantly, it gives administrators an easy excuse, as in this case, to terminate a contract.

Returning would put him on thin ice at all times, constantly under scrutiny, puts the school board at liability risk, and the issue of hazing and him saying he "does not getting paid enough", when referring to monitoring of athletes, may hurt his cause...... that is if he even wants to return.

Having said that, Eric Kaperowicz is in an excellent position at Pitt, his alma mater, close to home and will the pay will be much better. Maybe he son ends up there and he coaches him in college?

Right, it's not open and who knows how the cards fall for Campos. Hopefully they all land where they want too, rare as that is.

Any thoughts if Art Walker is anywhere near retiring or considering an OC to bring them out of the dark ages. Seems Pitt CC is (was?....new oc) making progress in that direction.

Every now and then this year's diatribe on "Recruiting/Gval v SJP" drifts to Gval's O schemes or lack thereof. I personally find it amusing arguing against a system that has been so successful simply because it won't beat one team.

I'd like to see more emphasis on airing it out as many do in District-3 but it's hard arguing success that isn't always defined by the # of trophies in your cabinet.

Trib: My understand he already came back from the PiP. I’ll look it up, but I am pretty sure that was 2018 for arecruiting thing.

Stalk: NA made some progress early in the year opening it up (spread 3/4 WR looks) but by the end of the year they were back to single wing. From my look, they seemed very “artificial” trying to run the spread. They knew what the plays should be but looked “stiff” executing them. The big rumor at Na is the OL coach is retiring. That could cause walker to look outside the program for new blood. We will see.

PCC is heading in the right direction. On offense I think. Saw them livestream and on TV in the finals and while young on O, they are embracing the PR stuff Jochem took with him there. A lot of work to do in the pass game, but the rest of the structure looks like it’s improving. In the other hand, it was the worst D from a PCC team I’ve ever seen. Big rumor with pCC is that Coach Totten has some health issues and may be retiring soon. That job could be a powerhouse.

I commented in another thread - we can talk all we want about the talent SJP has, but their coaching is also way better than most teams. As we saw this year at PR, that matters.

Stalk - one more thing. If your system can’t get you where you want with the kids you typically have, then you should change the system.
However, I’m guessing there are LOTS of schools that don’t even think about competing for a state championship. And when they do, it’s too late. That’s fine too. It’s HS.

Stalk - one more thing. If your system can’t get you where you want with the kids you typically have, then you should change the system.
However, I’m guessing there are LOTS of schools that don’t even think about competing for a state championship. And when they do, it’s too late. That’s fine too. It’s HS.
Ok New, got some business to attend to; back to you later. Appreciate your responses and views.

NA is a real interesting story if you ask me. I believe the 2nd or 3rd largest school in the wpial, 3 middle school feeder teams, Joey porter sr funneling kids in from California among others, and they consistently have 80+ out every year for the team. Despite all this, they’ve only made it past the wpial semi finals once in the past decade, in a season where it was basically a play in at that point. Also 6 of those years in watered down 6A with dwindling number of teams each year. I believe a major issue with their program is they are so committed to running their single wing offense with these kids practicing it all throughout youth and middle school, then they get to high school and they have no QB developed besides a game manager to speak of. The last legitimate pocket passing QB they had was Mack leftwich, who was a transfer in his JR year (over 40 pass td that 2012 season, crazy to think of an NA team now a days putting up those passing statistics). I know many fans and parents over there that think walker and company have well overstayed. Maybe a breath of fresh air can change their future, but to me they’re just anouther Seneca or Lebo, average to good and might have a nice team every now and then.

With NA OL coach possibly retiring, maybe that will push them for an overhaul. But I hope not.

I believe the 2nd or 3rd largest school in the wpial

North Allegheny is actually the largest school in the WPIAL, and it's not close. Here is the actual district enrollment for the biggest schools, numbers direct from the state.

North Allegheny 8499
Seneca Valley 7250
Butler 6086
Mt Lebanon 5361
Canon Mac 5350
Hempfield 5333

New and JACKY.....When Albert Einstein said "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results", this is what he was talking about.

Trib: I just checked and it has not.

Wasn’t there, but the SB meeting was 5 hours long with hours and hours of public comment. But, the coaching position, the Supt and Asst Supt contract, or the sexual assault investigation were not on the agenda they posted.

So perhaps more of the same.

Trib: I just checked and it has not.

Wasn’t there, but the SB meeting was 5 hours long with hours and hours of public comment. But, the coaching position, the Supt and Asst Supt contract, or the sexual assault investigation were not on the agenda they posted.

So perhaps more of the same.
true and not true... one small "new thing" not talked about- they hired an assistant- "volunteer for softball" Ed Malinowski. Great coach from Kasper's staff, small "glimmer of hope" who will at least be "back on campus"

Also, while not on the "agenda" several parents spoke and wrote letters, stating great concern about the "current football coaches." Might be reviewed formally in January as an agenda item. But the topic of "mask requirements" is really taking lots of time and attention of School Boards, at PR, and across the state

Just confirmed Boosters have contacted AD, School Board and Admin about Campos being removed ASAP. Not sure one what grounds, but evidently this is only partially related to getting Coach K back and partially related to Campos and staff behavior this last year.

Was there any evidence of Campos and his staff doing anything to warrant removal from their positions? Any stories that pertain to certain situations of harassment and bullying? Plus, would the new AD really start from scratch again? I know that P-R can be better and SHOULD be better, but could Campos be removed if he dosen't resign?

Also, any thoughts on any underclassmen who can contribute at the Varsity level next year and make an immediate impact? Have you heard anything on that front?

I have not seen any of the documents or letters from parents. Just notification that they were sent.

I do know that one player was suspended for a game for “bullying” during practice. Just mainly being a jerk to teammates. But a known troublemaker.

I need more info on players. I know the you very Klemm played a lot as a sophomore as did a backup running back. I do not know his name though. And Cory of course.

I have not seen any of the documents or letters from parents. Just notification that they were sent.

I do know that one player was suspended for a game for “bullying” during practice. Just mainly being a jerk to teammates. But a known troublemaker.

I need more info on players. I know the you very Klemm played a lot as a sophomore as did a backup running back. I do not know his name though. And Cory of course.
Not sure if we’ll see the younger Klemm stick around, dad is a candidate to be Oregon's offensive line coach

• Wow
Just confirmed Boosters have contacted AD, School Board and Admin about Campos being removed ASAP. Not sure one what grounds, but evidently this is only partially related to getting Coach K back and partially related to Campos and staff behavior this last year.
Aren't these people unionized? No protections from prejudiced administrators? Rhetorical but don't they have any protections....including Coach K?

Not sure where these supplemental employees fall in the union perspective.

Not sure where these supplemental employees fall in the union perspective.
It's all ashamed, what happened to Coach K and evidently now happening to Coach C. Have to protect yourself from predatory individual like this; one way or another. Mountain justice!
PS....working on a private schools post I'll get out today or tomorrow that might be interesting.

The union protects all employees, including supplemental, they take their dues from the negotiated salary, they even make you put a percentage into the PSERS, but the issue is that most of the contracts today are year to year, so that the school board may choose not to renew any supplemental contract, from drama club to head football coach, at their yearly discretion. The politics ta play are real.

Jacky... LoL. And TribSportsGuy

The thing is, Campos got ran out the old fashioned way. By the parents.

Reactions: JACKY6996
The union protects all employees, including supplemental, they take their dues from the negotiated salary, they even make you put a percentage into the PSERS, but the issue is that most of the contracts today are year to year, so that the school board may choose not to renew any supplemental contract, from drama club to head football coach, at their yearly discretion. The politics ta play are real.
Thank you Coach. The state would allow/force us to a 3-year agreement in SERS. I tried (questioned) for shorter and sometimes longer but soon learned I was up against odds WAY to strong.

Always fared better in Teamsters in another career where we had more power taking on the local vs taking on the State.

Mike - I have no attachment to any school, sport or coach. No bias. Do not care if Campos was fired, ran out or retired.

I just do not seen Eric Kasperowicz coming back. I stand by that.

I do think Campos was in over his head with the predicament.

Pine-Richland will have no problem replacing him. Now is a good time to start.

Trib, I appreciate your dedication to you’re opinion.

But the wheels are in motion.

Unless Coach K gets a college job between now and then, look for him to interview shortly after the new year with very likely positive outcome.

The community effectively blocked all candidates last time? You think that’s not gonna happen again? Maybe it won’t, but I will be shocked.

It's time to speculate on who may be interested in the job. Who do you have in mind?

One final comment on Campos. He was completely inept and ill-suited for the job. But like Salopak, he's just a pawn.

Candidates:

1. Eric Kasperowicz: Obvious reason, plus he may want to coach his son. Working against this is that everything around here says Coach Narduzzi really likes him and they have positions open.

2. Jon LeDonne: P-R guy who got an interview last time. Rough around the edges but a good good football coach. Quip.

3. Ed Malinoski: Former P-R WR and SC coach with Coach K. Was OC at Mars last year.

4. Tim Sasson: Former P-R OL Coach. Went to SV this year as OL coach. To me, he's most viable candidate if Coach K doesn't come back.

5. Ryan Lehmeier: Former P-R OC. Also went to SV this past year. Young family may preclude him having time to dedicate to this.

6. Todd Jochem: Former P-R QB Coach. Went to PCC this past year. Retired and unclear if he would want job.

7. Joe Rossi: South Fayette Head Coach. Runs offense similar to P-R. Very successful when SF was smaller. Face rebuilding now.

8. Steve Bezila: PCC OC: Pine guy and worked with Jochem at PCC this past year.

Any NA coach would likely not be a candidate now that new school board is in place.

wpialcoach- the "supplemental contracts" do not always "belong to unions" maybe some do, some don't, the connection is minor, and there is minimal protection for these year-to-year supplemental jobs- unless, if the person is coach+teacher, then it becomes a union "issue." Yes, the jobs are usually "year to year" contracts. BUT, to say that all the stuff was "politics" of "parents complaining" is totally untrue. None of the problems were about "hurt feelings or playing time" or about "silly petty parent complaints." If Campos had not resigned, he would have been have been fired/let go/whatever term for the school NOT wanting him back.

New-- yes, Campos was totally unqualified, yes the word is boosters sent letters to the board, but all the concerns were legit, just simple bad problems by HC, the guy was not a good leader, not a good HC. Dont know who is gonna get the job, but at least one of the guys on New's list will be there- I could see if the whole lawsuit is too complicated, I could see one of those guys being the HC, and Coach K being a Coordinator

You have been following this story more than anyone else. I follow the official WPIAL newspaper the TribLive obviously, and there has been nothing reported in months about Eric Kasperowicz coming back, just that Campos resigned. I know you have been friends with Eric Kasperowicz for almost 30 years, but no other sports writer has been covering this, most likely for a reason. This forum gives you the opportunity to print rumors and wishful thinking, but if Eric Kasperowicz had a chance to come back, I think it would be reported in all the papers, Chris Harlan, George Guido, Don Rebel would be all over that news, it may even make the evening news. With none of that happening, it makes me think their are some very real concerns with re-hiring Eric Kasperowicz, mainly the ones I have previously stated, the Improvement Plan is a huge warning.

I have seen coaches get fired and rehired at other schools. I have never seen a coach fired and rehired at same the same school. Especially with the litigious society we live in today. One wrong move, a wrong look, is all a family may be waiting for to sue the Pine-Richland SD if Eric Kasperowicz is rehired.

Have you ever seen a coach come back after being fired when on an Improvement Plan?

I see either Ed Malinoski or Ryan Lehmeir getting the job. Enough distance from the chaos of Eric Kasperowicz, but potentially just as good as a Head Coach IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT