ADVERTISEMENT

Pennsbury 35 Abington 0

705 Hood

Sep 22, 2017
Pennsbury jumped out to a 28-0 first quarter lead and cruised to a 35-0 win over Abington in the first game at partially renovated Falcon Field. After an opening kickoff TD by #7 Beighley, Abington fumbled on three straight possessions (once on the kickoff), setting the Falcons up for scoring drives of 49, 25 and 31 yards. #24 G Mulbah finished 11 for 128 and 2 scores (including a 67-yarder) in two quarters of work. Beighley added a 25-yard TD run, and #12 McGurrin hit #89 Wisor with a 22-yard TD pass. Pennsbury's defense held Abington under 100 total yards, recovered 5 fumbles and intercepted one pass. Next week, the Falcons (8-1) head to Heartbreak Ridge for their traditional season-ending matchup with Neshaminy.

We have a saying in Langhorne (that we roll out once in a while): "If it ain't Red & Blue it's Black & Orange!"

And sadly for all of us diehard 'Skins fans, it looks like 2022 is going be one of those times.

Still, I'll be cheering the Wilmotmen on this coming Friday. Plus it will be a special night too -- not only because it's the traditional Fairless Hills/Langhorne rivalry smackdown game (going back to 1930) but it's the last football contest that will be played there on real grass as they're going to turf in the off-season (the first game there - at what was then called simply "The Neshaminy Athletic Field" - was in 1956 versus Hatboro-Horsham and which was a 27-6 win for the home squad).

Then not only will the dirt and grass be relegated to history it also seems the concrete stands -- dating back to the 1963 season opener against Central Dauphin (Neshaminy nipped the visiting District 3 Rams, 7-0) -- will be torn down and replaced with a new steel arrangement (as I'm hearing).

Lots of memories for those of us who have been making the trek to "Heartbreak Ridge" since the early '60s (in my case, with my Dad and as a wide-eyed kid of 8 or 9).

Go 'Skins!!!

PS Wasn't hijacking the Pennsbury thread - we kinda expected they would handle Abington which is having an off year while the Falcons are flying high (so I guess it's OK).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT