3. State College (6) – 11-0 – 3

4. North Allegheny (7) -- 10-1 – 5

5. Harrisburg (3) -- 8-2 – 6

6. Central York (3) -- 10-1 – 8

7. Perkiomen Valley (1) -- 11-1 – 9

8. Downingtown East (1) -- 9-3 – 10

9. Bethlehem Freedom (11) -- 10-2 – NR

10. Parkland (11) -- 8-4 – NR

Teams to watch: Central Bucks West (1) 8-4, Hempfield (3) 9-2, McDowell (10) 10-2, Manheim Township (3) 8-3, Pittsburgh C.C. (7) 7-4.

CLASS 5A

Rank – Team – District – Record -- Previous

1. Upper Dublin (1) – 12-0 – 1

2. Exeter Township (3) – 11-0 – 2

3. Imhotep Charter (12) – 7-2 – 3

4. Strath Haven (1) -- 12-0 – 4

5. Cathedral Prep (10) -- 8-2 – 6

6. Roman Catholic (12) -- 8-2 – 8

7. Solanco (3) -- 11-0 – 7

8. Upper St. Clair (7) -- 10-2 – 10

9. Plymouth-Whitemarsh (1) -- 10-2 – NR

10. Pine-Richland (7) -- 9-3 – NR

Teams to watch: Cocalico (3) 8-4, Delaware Valley (2) 7-5, Northern York (3) 8-4, West Chester Rustin (1) 10-1, Whitehall (11) 7-5.

CLASS 4A

1. Aliquippa (7) – 10-0 – 1

2. Bishop McDevitt (3) – 9-1 – 2

3. Jersey Shore (4) – 12-0 – 3

4. Meadville (10) -- 11-1 – 4

5. Central Valley (7) – 10-1 – 5

6. Manheim Central (3) -- 10-1 – 6

7. McKeesport (7) – 11-1 – 7

8. Bonner-Prendergast (12) -- 10-1 – NR

9. Lampeter-Strasburg (3) -- 9-2 – 10

10. Crestwood (2) -- 11-1 – NR

Teams to watch: Interboro (1) 10-2, Juniata (6) 8-3, Thomas Jefferson (7) 8-3, Twin Valley (3) 7-4, Valley View (2) 10-2.

CLASS 3A

1. Wyomissing (3) – 11-0 – 1

2. Danville (4) – 11-0 – 2

3. Belle Vernon (7) – 8-2 – 3

4. Loyalsock (4) -- 11-1 – 4

5. Avonworth (7) -- 10-1 – 5

6. Northwestern Lehigh (11) -- 10-2 – 9

7. West Perry (3) -- 11-1 – NR

8. Freeport (7) -- 10-1 – 10

9. North Schuylkill (11) -- 10-2 – NR

10. Central Martinsburg (6) -- 10-2 – NR

Teams to watch: Clearfield (9) 8-3, Grove City (10) 8-3, Scranton Prep (2) 9-3, Slippery Rock (10) 7-4.

CLASS 2A

1. Farrell (10) – 9-1 – 1

2. Mount Carmel (4) – 12-0 – 2

3. Lakeland (2) – 12-0 – 4

4. Steel Valley (7) -- 10-0 – 5

5. Beaver Falls (7) -- 10-1 – 7

6. Westinghouse (8) -- 11-0 – 8

7. Sto-Rox (7) -- 9-2 – 9

8. Sharpsville (10) -- 9-2 – NR

9. Trinity (3) -- 8-4 – NR

10. Southern Columbia (4) -- 9-3 – NR

Teams to watch: Bishop Guilfoyle (6) 9-3, Central Clarion (9) 10-1, Neshannock (7) 11-1, Penns Valley (6) 10-2.

CLASS 1A

1. Canton (4) – 11-1 – 1

2. Steelton-Highspire (3) – 10-1 – 2

3. Bishop Canevin (7) – 11-1 – 3

4. Reynolds (10) – 10-1 – 4

5. Eisenhower (10) -- 11-0 – 6

6. Northern Lehigh (11) -- 11-1 – 7

7. South Side Area (7) -- 11-1 – NR

8. Penns Manor (6) -- 11-1 – NR

9. Port Allegany (9) -- 10-1 – NR

10. Northern Cambria (6) -- 9-3 – NR

Teams to watch: Brockway (9) 8-4, Lackawanna Trail (2) 8-4, Rochester (7) 7-4, Union Area (7) 9-3, Windber (5) 11-1.

Ranking, smankings....but I have a few takes that differ from Eric at Pennlive. Anyone else?

6A Does anyone on the board feel Garnet Valley is the #2 team in the state? Look at those below them, past playoff history, etc. Go Jags but wow, they look high.

5A Imhotep looks way low and Solanco and Ply White run only teams with shaky playoff savvy. Sure are a lot of good teams here, especially Ex, ICS, UD, ECP and Roman, SH. Haven is blowing people off the line and looking good!

4A McDevitt is ALOT better than ly so I think they take the Quips if both get there! Got some firepower with McKees, CV, Bonner and others. And playoff experience with CV, McKees. Nice field.

3A
Wyo #1? Maybe. They do get better with that OL and pile of running backs. Even against better (balanced) teams like Cent Val, they're always in it with a close to unstoppable run game, active, smart defense. Danville over BV looks political!? (keep em happy up there)...and a reach.

2A Looks like a bunch of good ones. No idea why it took Pennlive all year to notice Westinghouse who pounded Steel High 39-18 in Steelton week 2. That is really quite a group of teams here with good history and coaching. Trinity turned on late with a young group. MCA is absolutely stacked! Hard to beat.

1A Top 3....flip it although Rollers are scary good (size, speed, talent, experience) when on and play just a little pass defense. Typically, they look clueless, a North Penn look alike in pass defense. But wow, when they're on it's like trying to run down a herd of gazelles.

Stalk, I would definitely agree with Garnet being too high. Give them credit for continuing an impressive winning streak within D1 (I think 31-1 in last 3 years) & not missing a beat with retirement of legendary coach. But I wouldn't be surprised if they lost tonight to DEast or next week to winner of Perk Valley/CBW.

Imhotep gets lost in the shuffle once they start playing in Pub schedule. They're dangerous and will be a tough out in 5A. Upper Dublin is flying under the radar as a sleeper to upset them if they meet in eastern final. Also, think Pine-Richland is peeking out west and could be the hottest team in 5A right now.

I've been on Bishop McDevitt all season as a team that looks like the 2nd or 3rd best team in the state regardless of classification. If we had a bowl system similar to California, I'd pay to see SJP-McDevitt in a overall state championship game.

Stalk, I would definitely agree with Garnet being too high. Give them credit for continuing an impressive winning streak within D1 (I think 31-1 in last 3 years) & not missing a beat with retirement of legendary coach. But I wouldn't be surprised if they lost tonight to DEast or next week to winner of Perk Valley/CBW.

Imhotep gets lost in the shuffle once they start playing in Pub schedule. They're dangerous and will be a tough out in 5A. Upper Dublin is flying under the radar as a sleeper to upset them if they meet in eastern final. Also, think Pine-Richland is peeking out west and could be the hottest team in 5A right now.

I've been on Bishop McDevitt all season as a team that looks like the 2nd or 3rd best team in the state regardless of classification. If we had a bowl system similar to California, I'd pay to see SJP-McDevitt in a overall state championship game.
Garnet valley has had a really impressive year going undefeated in the regular season after losing so many great players. Tonight's game against DTE should be a good one. Both teams are pretty much mirror images of one another. I think whoever wins this game tonight will win the District 1 championship. As far as Garnet valley being ranked number two, yeah that's a little crazy. I would rank them in the bottom of the top 10 as opposed to the top. Tonight will answer a lot of questions and bring clarity to the top 10. A lot of great games around the state tonight.

Reactions: Stalker
Ranking, smankings....but I have a few takes that differ from Eric at Pennlive. Anyone else?

6A Does anyone on the board feel Garnet Valley is the #2 team in the state? Look at those below them, past playoff history, etc. Go Jags but wow, they look high.

5A Imhotep looks way low and Solanco and Ply White run only teams with shaky playoff savvy. Sure are a lot of good teams here, especially Ex, ICS, UD, ECP and Roman, SH. Haven is blowing people off the line and looking good!

4A McDevitt is ALOT better than ly so I think they take the Quips if both get there! Got some firepower with McKees, CV, Bonner and others. And playoff experience with CV, McKees. Nice field.

3A
Wyo #1? Maybe. They do get better with that OL and pile of running backs. Even against better (balanced) teams like Cent Val, they're always in it with a close to unstoppable run game, active, smart defense. Danville over BV looks political!? (keep em happy up there)...and a reach.

2A Looks like a bunch of good ones. No idea why it took Pennlive all year to notice Westinghouse who pounded Steel High 39-18 in Steelton week 2. That is really quite a group of teams here with good history and coaching. Trinity turned on late with a young group. MCA is absolutely stacked! Hard to beat.

1A Top 3....flip it although Rollers are scary good (size, speed, talent, experience) when on and play just a little pass defense. Typically, they look clueless, a North Penn look alike in pass defense. But wow, when they're on it's like trying to run down a herd of gazelles.
6A- agreed- GV lower, maybe Harrisburg higher
5A- yes, agree, imotep higher- all due respect- Upper Dublin, Exeter, and Strathhaven in top 5? Have any of those even played in State final in the last 5 years? IMO, from wpial/D7, the winner of USC - PR play in state final. Honestly, i hope there will be "new blood" but based upon program history, success in the last 5 years, id say top 4
1- ECP
2-imotep
3-USC
4-PR

4A- wow, lots of good teams- Meadville? sorry, no, i dont agree, no way they beat any D7 team. Again, form wpial/D7- winner will be in either semi or final. how soon would they face Bishop McD?
3A- looks good- no, Belle Vernon has yet to earn top 4, they have not even won D7 in the last 3 years, despite having great talent- again gonna be brutal to win wpial- my guess again is wpial winner plays in State final
2A-agreed on Westinghouse, other than that, im good w top 10
1A-not sure sure- im not informed enough to say

ADVERTISEMENT