ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State Flips Another one of Pitt's Commits

Originally posted by Ed O'Brien:

This time it looks like they were able to get Altoona linebacker Kevin Givens to flip from Pitt.
Givens looks pretty good. I think he's slated to be a DE at PSU. Good for him though. Altoona's approx 40-45 miles from State College. Far enough away but close enough to be very convenient for his family/friends.

How sad that PSU now gets excited at getting a Pitt recruit. How times have changed!

Good! When you can get a kid to come your way instead of your in-state former (future?...just need a coach) rival-competitor's way, it's a good thing. That's at least two now I believe coming in from Pitt plus the Stanford lineman. Hey, anytime you can rip off Pitt ....it's a good day!

Originally posted by Stalker:
Good! When you can get a kid to come your way instead of your in-state former (future?...just need a coach) rival-competitor's way, it's a good thing. That's at least two now I believe coming in from Pitt plus the Stanford lineman. Hey, anytime you can rip off Pitt ....it's a good day!
Almost feels like they did it, just because they COULD do it. Givens probably will shed more light on his decision to flip real soon.

00shoe and JBinPA,

Givens is a 3 star recruit on Rivals, 247, and other services...the 23rd best HS player in PA. 6'2" 240-250. He's a good, solid prospect and looks good on his film. I don't have to tell you guys that some 3 stars have turned out to be some of PSU's best players. I'm sure Franklin is ecstatic to have him...assuming he faxes in his LOI today.

Also interesting another Pitt recruit flipped, just today. A 2 star LB verbal, Shawn Curtis just faxed his LOI to Ole Miss. Interesting. Bowers, Givens, and now Curtis... Not sure what is happening in Oakland. But I hope they get it fixed.

He did. He and his coach both said he really wanted to go to Penn State and was waiting for them to offer. Pitt was his safety school. When Penn State offered, he jumped. This happens more than anyone believes. Kids flip all the time. Nobody stops recruiting kids who are committed to another school. Last week, Jim Harbaugh tried to flip Saquon Barkley from Penn State to Michigan. Ohio State flipped a WR from Arkansas this morning.

I think you need to check the rest of their class, before posting something that insulting. The lowest any of the recruiting services have their class is number 13. Not bad for how sad you seem to believe it to be.

Penn State knows this kid needs to red shirt, grow up a little bit and will contribute down the line. There is no expectation of him starting right away.

Originally posted by EPC FAN:
He did. He and his coach both said he really wanted to go to Penn State and was waiting for them to offer. Pitt was his safety school. When Penn State offered, he jumped. This happens more than anyone believes. Kids flip all the time. Nobody stops recruiting kids who are committed to another school. Last week, Jim Harbaugh tried to flip Saquon Barkley from Penn State to Michigan. Ohio State flipped a WR from Arkansas this morning.
Thanks. I didn't get a chance to catch up on that after it came out.

It would have been great, but if you look at the depth chart AND incoming kids they already have, it is not a devastating loss. Whitehead is a hell of a player who will have a fine career at Pittsburgh.

Originally posted by EPC FAN:
I think Auburn just flipped the #1 rated recruit from Florida today.

Originally posted by JBinPA:
How sad that PSU now gets excited at getting a Pitt recruit. How times have changed!
Yeah, why get excited about getting a conesenus top-20 player in the state. What's the point?

According to rivals, this is their best class since 2006. I can't understand why fans are excited.

Pitt and PSU meet on the field in 2016 for the first time since 2000 (a 12-0 Pitt win).
It's going to be interesting.

FWIW - I don't think Givens will ever play a down at PSU.

Originally posted by CCHS-74:
Pitt and PSU meet on the field in 2016 for the first time since 2000 (a 12-0 Pitt win).
It's going to be interesting.

FWIW - I don't think Givens will ever play a down at PSU.
No one thought John Urschel would play a down at Penn State either. Now he's playing on Sunday's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT