ADVERTISEMENT

Penn Live Preseason 6A-State

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
Transferred from new2pa's thread at PR.
https://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/07/pennlives_early_2018_high_scho.html
All classes shown at link

Pennlive Preseason 6A
1. St. Joseph’s Prep (12) – 13-1 – 2
2. Pine-Richland (7) – 16-0 – 1
3. Coatesville (1) – 13-2 – 3
4. Parkland (11) – 13-1 – 5
5. Williamsport (4) – 7-4 – NR
6. North Allegheny (7) – 8-4 – NR
7. State College (6) – 10-3 – 8
8. North Penn (1) – 9-3 – NR
9. Central Bucks South (1) – 7-4 – NR
10. Erie (10) – 9-3 – NR

I don't agree with the above rankings so here are some other thoughts.
D1
Leaving Neshaminy out is weird and maybe Downingtown West. CB South at #9 in State. Maybe in SE PA but State?
D2
N/A
D3
Come on guys, Cumberland Valley always, especially with a QB that can throw in Plessinger. Class 4 and 5 probably stronger this year than most 6A teams in the district.
D4
Unless they got a lot of transfers, ranking them at 5 is really absurd. 2A Southern Columbia would blow them off the field.
D5
N/A
D6
Swap out State High for Parkland or Williamsport and you’re there. LOADED!
D7
If you yank CB South and Williamsport, Central Catholic is in.
D8
Nothing here with last year’s best, Allderdice losing to Altoona and struggling to beat DuBois.
D9
N/A
D10
Erie High loaded at skill that averaged 40ppg last year. Awesome early schedule will reveal. Probably headed for another showdown with State in West semi.
D11:
Freedom is looking scary and Emmaus has Rb Ntoh and the Whitehall Qb transfer I believe (?)
D12:
LaSalle….a lot of good players

Reactions: Soup13 and Relayer
My first thought looking at this is 6 of those top 7 are all on the same side of the reconstructed 6A bracket.

Ya. D1 and D3 are the same side. The rest on the other. I somehow deleted my original comment.

Transferred from new2pa's thread at PR.
https://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/07/pennlives_early_2018_high_scho.html
All classes shown at link

Pennlive Preseason 6A
1. St. Joseph’s Prep (12) – 13-1 – 2
2. Pine-Richland (7) – 16-0 – 1
3. Coatesville (1) – 13-2 – 3
4. Parkland (11) – 13-1 – 5
5. Williamsport (4) – 7-4 – NR
6. North Allegheny (7) – 8-4 – NR
7. State College (6) – 10-3 – 8
8. North Penn (1) – 9-3 – NR
9. Central Bucks South (1) – 7-4 – NR
10. Erie (10) – 9-3 – NR

I don't agree with the above rankings so here are some other thoughts.
D1
Leaving Neshaminy out is weird and maybe Downingtown West. CB South at #9 in State. Maybe in SE PA but State?
D2
N/A
D3
Come on guys, Cumberland Valley always, especially with a QB that can throw in Plessinger. Class 4 and 5 probably stronger this year than most 6A teams in the district.
D4
Unless they got a lot of transfers, ranking them at 5 is really absurd. 2A Southern Columbia would blow them off the field.
D5
N/A
D6
Swap out State High for Parkland or Williamsport and you’re there. LOADED!
D7
If you yank CB South and Williamsport, Central Catholic is in.
D8
Nothing here with last year’s best, Allderdice losing to Altoona and struggling to beat DuBois.
D9
N/A
D10
Erie High loaded at skill that averaged 40ppg last year. Awesome early schedule will reveal. Probably headed for another showdown with State in West semi.
D11:
Freedom is looking scary and Emmaus has Rb Ntoh and the Whitehall Qb transfer I believe (?)
D12:
LaSalle….a lot of good players
Stalker, I hope LaSalle is good this year (partly because a good LaSalle is good for the Prep), but they lost an awful lot to graduation and of course they lost Harrison to the Prep. And if Brett Gordon is gone as OC, I wonder if they're not going to be down quite a bit this year.

Hard to believe Neumann-Goretti isn't even listed in the top 10 in AA. Not so sure Wood is a shoe in for 5A. Is Mallee done for LaSalle? If so that would be a major blow to their chances.Finally, Neshaminy should be a major player in the D1 playoffs. Does anyone know if Upper Dublin has a lot returning? They have been very well coached (especially on the offensive side)

Last edited:
At quick glance … NP lost a lot so delete add Neshaminy, CB South should not be on here.

Add CV, and Pgh CC as CV as these two programs always reload.

Mallee is out for season and Harrrison transferred to The Prep, lasalle also lost about 15-16 starters to graduation, they won't be in the top 10 conversation for a long time. While usually some what cyclical The Prep has put a lot of distance between the 2 football programs.
Likewise in D1 a lot of distance between Coatesville and rest of the pack, NP lost a good bit too, but if they reload with some size they should handle Nesh as they are struggling to find lineman, Nesh will cruise through league to be bounced early again, if Pennsbury uses size advantage again they could be in the mix for sol national.

Stalker, I hope LaSalle is good this year (partly because a good LaSalle is good for the Prep), but they lost an awful lot to graduation and of course they lost Harrison to the Prep. And if Brett Gordon is gone as OC, I wonder if they're not going to be down quite a bit this year.
Yes, forgot....thanks. And sorry to hear that, plus FB2018's words. Also forgot to mention Pennridge as a consideration and Garnet Valley.
**** Agreed FB2018..perhaps MONSTER separation between Coatesville and the rest. A SE PA Top 10 could have them as the Top 5.

I enjoy watching Garnet Valley, while they lost some great players, you get the sense that if they can keep the numbers over 100 and stay fresh with depth on both sides, that their scheme and coaching is what is hard to prepare for and stop for 4 quarters.

Reactions: lilromeo
D11:

It'll be interesting to see how Parkland reloads. They only bring back one starter on defense (Conner Bernecker) and two on offense (Beenecker at receiver and Adam Pitson at guard). That is a LOT of new faces, and no returning stars for the preseason #4 team in the state. Lots of faith in the program (which is warranted).

Yes, Parvel is at Emmaus now. He's playing hoops with them in summer league/tournaments. He was the all league QB last year and is a dual threat guy. Ntoh and Lubens Myers both have 1,000 yard seasons in their career (Ntoh last year and Myers as a soph in 2016). It's the best group of skill players in 6A in the league. But they graduate their entire offensive line, they're 3 leading receivers, and virtually their whole front 7 on defense. The line was 5 multiyear starters. They'll be good if they can block and tackle, but that group has to mature fast.

Freedom brings back Jared Jenkins at QB, who threw for 2,700 yards as a sophomore. Every player with at least 8 catches graduates, as does 1,000 yard rusher Abdul Beasley, and 4/5ths of the offensive line. Junior Kaden Moore is a monster (6'4 305) and is the best returning OL/DL in the conference. Defensively, they were hit hard by graduation, but bring back my preseason league DPOY Tristan Wheeler.

It'll be interesting to see how Parkland reloads. They only bring back one starter on defense (Conner Bernecker) and two on offense (Beenecker at receiver and Adam Pitson at guard). That is a LOT of new faces, and no returning stars for the preseason #4 team in the state. Lots of faith in the program (which is warranted).

Yes, Parvel is at Emmaus now. He's playing hoops with them in summer league/tournaments. He was the all league QB last year and is a dual threat guy. Ntoh and Lubens Myers both have 1,000 yard seasons in their career (Ntoh last year and Myers as a soph in 2016). It's the best group of skill players in 6A in the league. But they graduate their entire offensive line, they're 3 leading receivers, and virtually their whole front 7 on defense. The line was 5 multiyear starters. They'll be good if they can block and tackle, but that group has to mature fast.

Freedom brings back Jared Jenkins at QB, who threw for 2,700 yards as a sophomore. Every player with at least 8 catches graduates, as does 1,000 yard rusher Abdul Beasley, and 4/5ths of the offensive line. Junior Kaden Moore is a monster (6'4 305) and is the best returning OL/DL in the conference. Defensively, they were hit hard by graduation, but bring back my preseason league DPOY Tristan Wheeler.

Looks like a heck of a race in the EPC-S with somone possibly stepping up to deny Parkand a 7th consecutive district title. Emmaus, Freedom even Liberty with Erney looks to have some nice moving parts. And Beca seems poised to win the title outright.

For me Rover it’s always hard going against Parkland who has now strung together 6 straight double digit winning seasons; 71-15 W/L. Still, any team without Ruisch under center and JahanWorth has to be concerned.

I think Becahi is the clear best team in the league. Prohibitive favorites coming in to the year IMO.

As for 6A, Parkland's track record is good enough that you have to pick them until proven otherwise. But there's a big difference between picking them to win the district and tabbing them as the 4th best team in the state.

The year to knock off Parkland was 2016. Graduated everybody and was the 5 seed, but got hot in playoffs.

The year to knock off Parkland was 2016. Graduated everybody and was the 5 seed, but got hot in playoffs.
Yeah, and that's why you just can't go against them. Will say the Pennlive Poll in my view is always political, satisfying everyone for obvious reasons.

My first thought looking at this is 6 of those top 7 are all on the same side of the reconstructed 6A bracket.

Thanks Relayer. Do I have this right?
D1=16 teams vs D3=16

D11=8 vs D12=8....verses....D7=8 vs D2/4/6/8/10=8

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT