ADVERTISEMENT

PCL Red Slate This Week (Sept 9 & 10)

Steve_pitt64

Apr 27, 2016
9/9 Archbishop Wood (0-0) vs Malvern Prep (1-0)
This will be Wood's first game of the season after cancelling their first 2 scheduled games due to program reshuffling (player transfers + new coach), and it will be a tough one with Malvern Prep fresh off of a 35-0 rout of Lasalle. Will be interesting to see how Wood fairs following all of those players leaving and having to face a Malvern team who is looking like one of the best in the state based off of Week 1 and recent history.
9/9 St Joes Prep (1-1) vs Erasmus Hall (NY) (0-0)
St Joes coming off a 55-20 rout of traditional North Jersey power St Peters Prep (NJ) where junior QB Semaj Jones had a record-breaking performance thru the air. While I am not too familiar with Erasmus Hall, I did see that they are going for their 4th straight NYC League Championship, and have a roster littered with college level players. With St Joes being ranked #33 in the country by Maxpreps this week, it will be interesting to see if Erasmus Hall can keep up, in their season opener.
9/9 Lasalle (1-1) vs Bishop Mcdevitt (D3) (0-1)
Lasalle coming off of a 35-0 loss vs Malvern Prep down the shore this weekend. Will be interesting to see if we will get the Lasalle team from week 0 who beat North Penn or the one who showed up last week in that blowout loss. Mcdevitt lost their season opener to a very strong Imhotep team 19-14, so this game should be an excellent watch this weekend. From what I heard regarding the Lasalle Malvern game it sounded like they got beat up along the lines of scrimmage, so it will be interesting to see how they fair vs a good Mcdevitt team.
9/10 Roman (2-0) vs West Catholic (1-1)
Roman coming off of a blowout win vs Trinity (D3) last week. Roman has looked very strong through these first two weeks of the season with their offense and defense firing on all cylinders. West Catholic on the other hand is coming off of a week 1 loss to Pottsgrove and will be looking to bounce back vs Roman. My thought is that this will be the most athletic team Roman will face up to this point so it will be interesting to see how they fair.
9/10 Father Judge (0-2) vs Archbishop Ryan (1-0)
Judge coming off of a heart-breaking loss to PJP at the shore where the final was 22-21 in OT. While this is their second consecutive loss, this week's result has to be viewed as a step in the right direction seeing as they lost to Olney Charter week one. Ryan on the other hand is coming off of a big win vs Frankford in their first game of the season. Judge-Ryan is one of the biggest rivalries in the city, so I expect this to be a close contest with a large crowd on hand.

I'm interested to hear everyone's commentary regarding this exciting slate of games this weekend. If anyone has more information to provide on any of these matchups, please add to the thread with your predictions, info, etc. I am especially interested in hearing more about Erasmus Hall (NY) and Bishop Mcdevitt (D3) seeing as I am not as familiar with those schools.

Reactions: HSFB99
9/9 Archbishop Wood (0-0) vs Malvern Prep (1-0)
This will be Wood's first game of the season after cancelling their first 2 scheduled games due to program reshuffling (player transfers + new coach), and it will be a tough one with Malvern Prep fresh off of a 35-0 rout of Lasalle. Will be interesting to see how Wood fairs following all of those players leaving and having to face a Malvern team who is looking like one of the best in the state based off of Week 1 and recent history.
9/9 St Joes Prep (1-1) vs Erasmus Hall (NY) (0-0)
St Joes coming off a 55-20 rout of traditional North Jersey power St Peters Prep (NJ) where junior QB Semaj Jones had a record-breaking performance thru the air. While I am not too familiar with Erasmus Hall, I did see that they are going for their 4th straight NYC League Championship, and have a roster littered with college level players. With St Joes being ranked #33 in the country by Maxpreps this week, it will be interesting to see if Erasmus Hall can keep up, in their season opener.
9/9 Lasalle (1-1) vs Bishop Mcdevitt (D3) (0-1)
Lasalle coming off of a 35-0 loss vs Malvern Prep down the shore this weekend. Will be interesting to see if we will get the Lasalle team from week 0 who beat North Penn or the one who showed up last week in that blowout loss. Mcdevitt lost their season opener to a very strong Imhotep team 19-14, so this game should be an excellent watch this weekend. From what I heard regarding the Lasalle Malvern game it sounded like they got beat up along the lines of scrimmage, so it will be interesting to see how they fair vs a good Mcdevitt team.
9/10 Roman (2-0) vs West Catholic (1-1)
Roman coming off of a blowout win vs Trinity (D3) last week. Roman has looked very strong through these first two weeks of the season with their offense and defense firing on all cylinders. West Catholic on the other hand is coming off of a week 1 loss to Pottsgrove and will be looking to bounce back vs Roman. My thought is that this will be the most athletic team Roman will face up to this point so it will be interesting to see how they fair.
9/10 Father Judge (0-2) vs Archbishop Ryan (1-0)
Judge coming off of a heart-breaking loss to PJP at the shore where the final was 22-21 in OT. While this is their second consecutive loss, this week's result has to be viewed as a step in the right direction seeing as they lost to Olney Charter week one. Ryan on the other hand is coming off of a big win vs Frankford in their first game of the season. Judge-Ryan is one of the biggest rivalries in the city, so I expect this to be a close contest with a large crowd on hand.

I'm interested to hear everyone's commentary regarding this exciting slate of games this weekend. If anyone has more information to provide on any of these matchups, please add to the thread with your predictions, info, etc. I am especially interested in hearing more about Erasmus Hall (NY) and Bishop Mcdevitt (D3) seeing as I am not as familiar with those schools.
Steve, nice write up.
Here's McDevitt from my District-3 Preseason ratings below at Aug 8th. They're a 'title team' in my view. And they got through Imhotep with decent health but had a cancellation last week against West Toronto Prep. So it has not been a good start with the loss and lack of rhythm with the cancellation. Never good sitting this early. And with LaSalle coming off a bad loss, we'll see if they find their timing/ rhythm etc before Lasalle runs away with it. By the way, Malvern Prep is the real deal after seeing the LS game as they'll show vs Imhotep the 16th.
2 Bishop McDevitt 12-2 4A
McDevitt and Harrisburg are at this point head and shoulders above others in the district with great numbers returning to build on last year’s strong outings. For McDevitt, all the key parts are there from last year’s younger group that will be tested early playing Philadelphia powers Imhotep Charter (11-2) from the Public League and LaSalle (9-2) from the vaunted Philadelphia Catholic league. If they get past those two, no one in the Mid Penn-Keystone or district has the firepower to beat them. They were an extremely young group last year, but still have to replace key personnel in wide outs Kamil Foster (36/907yds) and Mario Easterly (57/1071). How important was it for a freshman starting quarterback to have them around? After all, they snagged 63% of his passes and 65% of his yardage. Stone Saunders completed 146 of 230 for 3037 yards. That’s 64% with only 5 interceptions and 46 touchdowns. Heck of a frame too at 6-2, 200 as a freshman. Everyone has offered; Tex AM, Wis, Mich, Pitt, etc. And they still return good receivers headed by Rico Scott (6-0, 185, jr, 25-538. Mich, Wis, Minn, etc), Jeffrey Penn (6-3, 190, sr, 6/209) and burners Samuel Smalls (5-8, 150, jr, 3/82) and Nevan Hopkins (6-0, 165, jr, 2/43) who also stands out in the secondary. Excepting the graduated senior receivers, they started or extensively played 3 freshmen, 3 sophomores and 3 juniors. In the backfield, their tandem running backs are two of the best in the state featuring Marquese Williams (5-10, 195, sr, 170-1897yds, ND, Tex AM, PSU etc) and Cyncir Bowers (5-11, 190, sr, 86-1004, Rich, ODU, BG). Returning senior lineman include the top OL prospect in the conference in Gabriel Arena (6-5, 285, Va Tech), Riley Robell (6-3, 285, JMad, Navy, ODU, NH), Dimitri Chacon (6-4, 310) and Kam Zaengle (6-1, 270, ctr). Juniors Zachariah Brown (6-0, 265), Ethan Straining (6-3, 260), Jayden Finney (5-11, 290, jr) and others give them an outstanding Mid Penn line. This is a unit that scored 46ppg. The defense is reasonably stacked with returning talent at DB Tyshawn Russell (6-2, 190, sr, 29 tackles), SS/LB Ty Kephart (6-0, 190, jr, 50 stops), DE Zachary Hare (6-2, 210, sr, 28 stops), LBs Kade Werner (5-11, 210, sr, 81 tackles) and Venny Brooks (5-10, 185, so, 31 tackles), Robell with 84 stops, 29 TFL and others. But they’ll miss LBs Ryan Russo (6-2, 195) their top tackler at 135, plus Bryce Enders (5-10, 210) with 73 stops and DT Jamani George-Heron (6-0, 260) and his 58 stops. McDevitt is trying to make a statement this year opening with Imhotep at neutral site Chambersburg in the Peach Bowl Classic followed by West Toronto Prep then LaSalle at Wissahickon game #3.
Note: DE Nick Slogik (6-4, 245, jr) transferred in this summer from Warwick.

Reactions: Steve_pitt64
Recap
Archbishop Wood 3 (0-1) Malvern Prep 21 (2-0)
From what I saw regarding this game, it seemed like Wood gave Malvern all they could handle for the first quarter and a half before Malvern began to run away with it. Wood got into the redzone a couple of times early on during the first half but were only able to come away with 3 points. Malvern looks like a top 5 team regardless of classification in the state right now with two big wins to start the season. Seeing as Wood gave Malvern a closer game then Lasalle, I'm optimistic that Wood might be better than a lot of people thought following the offseason they had.
Next Week: Vs Northeast (2-0)
St. Joes Prep 14 (2-1) Erasmus Hall 7 (0-1) (NYC)
I didn't hear/see much regarding this contest, but I am not surprised by the outcome. What did surprise me a little was how close the final ended up being seeing as I thought Prep might do to them what they did to St. Peters the week before. Nonetheless, Prep rolls again and will be tough to slow down as this season progresses on.
Next Week: BYE
Lasalle 7 (1-2) Bishop Mcdevitt 56 (1-1)
This game served as the surprise of the week for me and many people among this board. While I knew Mcdevitt was good, I was not expecting that type of offensive onslaught vs Lasalle seeing as Imhotep held them to just 14 points in week 1. Lasalle with 2 blowout losses in back-to-back weeks is very shocking and should raise some concerns from the Explorer faithful. Lasalle is allowing almost 40 ppg thru the first 3 weeks of the season and will have to find a way to tighten things up on both sides of the ball if they want to contend down the stretch.
Next Week: The Haverford School (2-0)
Roman 31 (3-0) West Catholic 0 (1-2)
Roman with another blowout win in week 3 vs West Catholic. While the game was only 4-0 at the half due to a sloppy first half offensively from Roman. In the second half they began to run the ball with more success and thus the flood gates opened up on the ground and thru the air. Roman's defense put up another stingy effort in the shutout and have only allowed 29 points thru the team's first 3 games thus far.
Next Week: Perkiomen Valley (3-0)
Father Judge 38 (1-2) Archbishop Ryan 6 (1-1)
Judge gets their first win of the season vs their bitter rivals in convincing fashion. While the game was close after the first quarter, Judge got things going in the second quarter and didn't slow down for the rest of the afternoon. With a heartbreaking OT loss last week to a solid PJPII team, and a blowout win this week, it looks like Judge may be turning the corner from the team who lost to Olney Charter in week 0.
Next Week: Frankford (1-2)

That wraps up Week 2 for the PCL Red. As always if anybody on the board has any commentary to add regarding these games or the PCL Red in general after 3 weeks of football, please add them on here.

I am planning on having the week 3 slate out Wednesday afternoon/evening, with some good games on the docket including Roman vs Perk Valley and Wood vs Northeast.

Reactions: lilromeo and HSFB99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT