ADVERTISEMENT

Pathetic Delco at it again

ChesmontLeague1

Jul 26, 2012
I’m originally from Delco but why do some of the posters from this area and a good amount of the local sports writers show such poor sportsmanship when it comes to the Catholic or Private school program? Of course the schools are going to try to keep doors open for those who want to attend. Let’s face it many people would rather there kids attend Bonner Prendie and OHara over Pennwood, Chester, Upper Darby or even a crumbling Ridley area. On another note: Legendary Garnet Valley team? Yeah! They had a great season and caught a very unprepared Coatesville team off guard but many from this community put the teams (St Joes Prep) down after a loss? These schools are legal members of the PIAA. Stop your whining, belly aching and poor sportsmanship. I’d consider and vote for a separate Delco championship trophy for the losing team from that county just to shut them up (Matt smith, Jack McCaffery, degeorge, etc). Delco is only relevant to Delco. You are good as your own mind! Enough is enough!

Last edited:
No horse in the race Ches but it sounds like sour grapes saying "Legendary Garnet Valley team? Yeah! They had a great season and caught a very unprepared Coatesville team off guard but many from this community put the teams (St Joes Prep) down after a loss?"

* The private vs public topic has been beat to death so no comment there. But you made G-Val sound like a lucky team ("caught Coatesville off guard").

Two things about that.
#1 The Jags had more than a great season, they've had a great program for years; 179-47 last 20, 101-20 last 10. Last losing season 2001.
#2 In my view It's a stretch saying Matt Ortega is ever caught off guard with one of the most successful programs in the state, especially in a district final.

That's it Ches. I often enjoy your input and am working on a Private School post I think you'll enjoy. Have it out the end of this week or next.

Stalk - The Delco Times said “Legendary Garnet Valley” team. Holy s… that’s funny. They HAD an excellent season and have been very good in SE PA/Phila area but I don’t remember much past SE PA for the jags so these statement sounds like a typical Delco Homer. Secondly.. yes.. Coatesville was very unprepared for the game at Garnet Valley. Yeah Ortega and Coatesville have been more successful with wins (see PA winning football teams .. ) plus District Titles to point out some non debatable metrics. Besides the football points I just made McCaffery went a little low at the Catholic schools .. kind of demonizing them. That’s just plain wrong. They ARE PIAA members and sick of hearing this baloney of which much comes from Delco posters. Yeah.. some of my relatives are there in those areas too but this point of view is coming from a Chesmont guy/no horse in game either. I enjoy your posts for most part and all views welcomed.

Consider the source with the tragic news and sports shown in that rag! But no one should demonize kids.

Consider the source with the tragic news and sports shown in that rag! But no one should demonize kids.
Stalk - Chester basketball is legendary. Strath Haven football championships are legendary. Personally Garnet Valley is not in that category. As far as the Catholic school stuff the local writers internal dislike is ok but when you put your opinion into a newspaper you are polarizing public school parents and kids to hate these Catholic and Private schools and making it dangerous for these student athletes.

Chesmont, what’s the scoop on Oharas girls basketball team using an ineligible player? I came across it in one of the Delco papers, but I didn’t see any details.

Chest - not to defend Jack M, but most of the ” legendary ” talk came from GV itself , including the coach who quietly within his inner circle thought this was his best team ever. But yes, the use of the term legendary for a team that did not win a state championship is a bit overboard

Reactions: ChesmontLeague1
Stalk - Chester basketball is legendary. Strath Haven football championships are legendary. Personally Garnet Valley is not in that category. As far as the Catholic school stuff the local writers internal dislike is ok but when you put your opinion into a newspaper you are polarizing public school parents and kids to hate these Catholic and Private schools and making it dangerous for these student athletes.
I wasn't keying on the word legendary....but now understand your view.

Chest - not to defend Jack M, but most of the ” legendary ” talk came from GV itself , including the coach who quietly within his inner circle thought this was his best team ever. But yes, the use of the term legendary for a team that did not win a state championship is a bit overboard
Definitely a great and memorable season. Legendary is overboard.

They didn’t cite the reason for ineligibility. I was just curious if you heard anything as to why.

both O’Hara girls and Bonner boys had junior transfers , which , under PIAA rules makes them ineligible for the playoffs, unless the original school signs off on the transfers. More often than not , the original school signs off. But in both Cases , the original school either did not sign off, or if they did the documents never made it to the PIAA. In case of O’Hara , it sounds like even more since they were made to forfeit about 10 regular season games as well.

Reactions: HSFB99
is Strath Haven remembered as a legendary team?

where would they rank all time and which team was their best?

I’m originally from Delco but why do some of the posters from this area and a good amount of the local sports writers show such poor sportsmanship when it comes to the Catholic or Private school program? Of course the schools are going to try to keep doors open for those who want to attend. Let’s face it many people would rather there kids attend Bonner Prendie and OHara over Pennwood, Chester, Upper Darby or even a crumbling Ridley area. On another note: Legendary Garnet Valley team? Yeah! They had a great season and caught a very unprepared Coatesville team off guard but many from this community put the teams (St Joes Prep) down after a loss? These schools are legal members of the PIAA. Stop your whining, belly aching and poor sportsmanship. I’d consider and vote for a separate Delco championship trophy for the losing team from that county just to shut them up (Matt smith, Jack McCaffery, degeorge, etc). Delco is only relevant to Delco. You are good as your own mind! Enough is enough!
Do you think it’s good sportsmanship to have kids from the tri state area playing in a Pennsylvania state championship. And I don’t think this complaint is only from delco

Do you think it’s good sportsmanship to have kids from the tri state area playing in a Pennsylvania state championship. And I don’t think this complaint is only from delco
"Tri-state" is a red-herring. I can think of two players from Delaware at JP this century, one of whom played only one year--his freshman year--at SJP.

SJP has had relatively few kids from Delco for several years.

Would you have preferred G-V in last year's championship game?

"Tri-state" is a red-herring. I can think of two players from Delaware at JP this century, one of whom played only one year--his freshman year--at SJP.

SJP has had relatively few kids from Delco for several years.

Would you have preferred G-V in last year's championship game?
St joes prep has has a few delco kids on there team also multiple tri state kids on the team NOW.
do you think it’s fair to have a team that can bring in the best talent in the tri state area and have them compete against teams that can’t. I mean I enjoy Seeing best vs best. But I’m defending the sportmanship comment. Shouldn’t st joes win?

St joes prep has has a few delco kids on there team also multiple tri state kids on the team NOW.
do you think it’s fair to have a team that can bring in the best talent in the tri state area and have them compete against teams that can’t. I mean I enjoy Seeing best vs best. But I’m defending the sportmanship comment. Shouldn’t st joes win?
"Multiple tri-state kids" suggests, at least to me, that it has at least some players from Delaware. As far as I know, it has no players from Delaware and hasn't for the last few years. Of course, it has always had some players from Delco just as it has also had a number of other students from Delco. And has been noted on here many, many times it has had a larger number of players and other students from Jersey.

As has also been noted on here countless times, SJP has never hid where its students come from. Clearly, there are substantial advantages to not having boundaries, but public schools have advantages that private schools like SJP don't have. No point in going through it all unless you've just arrived from Mars. I can understand why some think it's unfair for boundary and non-boundary schools to be competing for the same championship, but I wonder if the Jersey model or something like it would really please those calling for something like it.

One general question. Many people on here have said that the quality of football in District 1, particularly in Delco, has declined quite a bit. Is that true? And does anyone really think that's because of SJP or other non-boundary schools?

Dip - Doesn’t matter what I think. Only matters what PIAA thinks and St Joes Prep is a member if I’m not mistaken. What gets me is teams complaining right after losing a game. THAT is pretty bad.

Dip - Doesn’t matter what I think. Only matters what PIAA thinks and St Joes Prep is a member if I’m not mistaken. What gets me is teams complaining right after losing a game. THAT is pretty bad.
Your right it is the PIAA. They have no way to control it and until it changes. We are beating a dead horse here

I'll start a new thread on a completely different topic.
Nahhhh tulla, we all pay to play and can post whatever we want but wow, has that topic been worn out....since I've been on the board since 2008.

But, it's always good hearing your views on things, especially new topics.

I'm trying to finish a project on private schools I think will be of interest if I can ever pull myself away from NCAA and NIT programs and games.

**** Nova made a small scene (a few players) walking off the court during the National Anthem recently that's been somewhat ignored. Protesting involves more than childlike walk-offs that fly in the face of other's beliefs.

The anti-D12 crowd better not watch the PIAA hoops finals next week. An all D12 final in 6A with Roman vs Wood. Seven other D12 teams made the finals (boys and girls).

With schools continuing to close D12 schools will get better as they pick up the quality athletes from those schools that disappear. and improve their depth. Spring is here, time for closings to be announced.

With schools continuing to close D12 schools will get better as they pick up the quality athletes from those schools that disappear. and improve their depth. Spring is here, time for closings to be announced.
I don’t think any schools are closing this year. Maybe you see something happen in a few years.

The anti-D12 crowd better not watch the PIAA hoops finals next week. An all D12 final in 6A with Roman vs Wood. Seven other D12 teams made the finals (boys and girls).
the domination in basketball is far worse than football, especially on the girls side

Reactions: d1football1
ADVERTISEMENT