ADVERTISEMENT

Papreps 2021 Top 10 Candidates

David Hartzell

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2017
Any reason for not including the 6A top tackler? ‘21 Pennridge LB, Shane Hartzell: 176 total tackles; 97 solo; 23 TFL; 4 sacks; 3 FF; 1 INT(TD).

Reactions: bll121777
Probably because those stats are outlandish. Matt Norris from CB South logged 100 total tackles ( 75 solo, 25 asst., 1 sack). I believe I speak for the majority of those who watched any local football this past season - Norris was one of (if not the best) backers in the league and area. Not to mention having a defensive lineman from Pennridge log an apparent 65 tackles? Please. The total stats together for that program on defense are comical given how they performed this past season, not to mention it is literally mathematically impossible to accumulate the totals they did per player with the given amount of snaps per game. If I do remember correctly they were ranked in points given up in the state too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aragorn
I’d take Shane Hartzell over Norris or Manzyk at the linebacker position. There’s a reason Michigan invited him to a game and sideline visit.

I'm not knocking him, I am knocking the stats. He is a football player with potential. Feeding him and the local area with puffed up stats is just flat out wrong, for the players sake. Anyone who watched these three play and has a good background within the game (I would hope) ranks them:

1) Norris
2)Manzyck
3)Heiber
4) Hartzell

Could he further develop as his career progresses? I'm sure he will. Norris was a menace on the field, the defense was premised around funneling the football to him, he was the Titans defense - not to mention he was a man among boys. Manzyck was and is a hard nosed ball player that fly's around and was a game changer for the skins. I list Heiber above Hartzell because West did not have much going for them defensively besides him, there were games through the majority of the season where he was the defense, I hope you share that same opinion for you coached against him in week 1. I do look forward to seeing Hartzell play for the next two years, he is young and has the potential to grow as a player.
But whoever took those stats needs to see what those more than false numbers are doing, it is creating a hype that isn't real. As for the visit, it was a unofficial visit, plenty of players throughout the country take unofficial visits to D1 colleges and won't play there.

Last edited:
First off, I agree that Norris, Manzyk, and Heiber are all great players and deserve every accolade they were given. But I can’t understand why you can’t offer that same courtesy to Hartzell as you do to the other three. You claim “puffed up” stats, but if you were to watch every play from every game film from Pennridge’s season you would discover that those stats are pretty close to right on, aside from maybe a handful of assists. Awarding of assists is subjective, but solo tackles are not, and Hartzell earned every one of the 97 solo tackles. The only thing that may have helped to “inflate” the stats was the fact the Pennridge defense was on the field so much this past season.

You are correct about the Michigan visit, it was an unofficial visit. And you are also correct, plenty of players from across the country get unofficial visit to big D1 schools every year. Michigan’s “plenty” might have been a couple hundred players from across the nation. To receive even an unofficial visit invitation from a Big 10 school is a big deal. I don’t believe DC Don Brown would offer an invitation based on “hype that isn’t real.” Nor would the scouts at 24/7 Sports who invited Hartzell to the 2019 National Combine in San Antonio where he was a participant on January 4.
You have every right to your opinion, but next time you want to write a comment that dismisses the outstanding accomplishments of a kid... keep it to yourself.

Mr. Hartzell

Does the Lion care what the sheep think?

TCB and don't worry about a post on an anonymous board, or like another poster said earlier about another player, the next level may be very hard for you handle.

Your original post asked why, I gave you reasons why. Then you tell me to keep my opinion to myself, very interesting.

We can agree to disagree, no loss of respect for your thoughts on my end. However, Hartzell getting to play, practice and learn from Tarburton his freshman year was a blessing for sure. Tarburton was better than all of them.

We can agree to disagree, no loss of respect for your thoughts on my end. However, Hartzell getting to play, practice and learn from Tarburton his freshman year was a blessing for sure. Tarburton was better than all of them.
How's Tarburton doing? He was one brutal dude.

The Hartzell kids is the real deal. He's the best one on that list of backers. His coaches aren't doing him any favors by inflating his numbers. The kid is a tough SOB that can play. When a coach does that its either because they are young and dumb or both. In this case I think its a case of the coach just being young.

where is mason laubach of berwick pa , 10 plus sacks, 30 tfl , 1 def td, acc/power 5 interest, 1st team coaches all state, wvc def player of year. easternpafootball.com first team

@masonlaubach1

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT