ADVERTISEMENT

Opting OUT....NOT playing in bowl games.

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
What's everyone think? I think they should play and that's as nice as I can put it!

Just shows how much bowl games are valued. Coaches have been jumping ship prior to them for years; it's now that the players involved. I think NFL teams will take it into consideration, but it will only be a make or break situation if the player has other off-the-field concerns. For me personally, it tells a lot about someone's character when they quit on their team/school.

I have gone back and forth on this issue with friends.. but at the end of the day college football is a big business. We even see at the high school level kids jumping ship to get a better opportunity at another school (IMG has made a big business out of it). At first, I would have agreed that leaving your team was a show of your true character... but is it really? Coaches leave all the time before their contract is up for more money... pro players will think nothing to sit out a season to get more money while still under contract...

You could ague that the school gave him a free scholarship which is just being allocated to everyone else's tuition bill so they aren't really losing any money.. so if you have 85 scholarships spread over 4 years say at $200K per player it's about $17MM or about $4.MM a year for a program that is making in some cases $50MM-$75MM a year

If your son has enough talent to be a first round pick and decides to play a final game with his team and risk an injury that could potentially cost him $10M - $15MM, a chance to get drafted or end his career... would you tell him play with your team or take the money?

Reactions: myboyblue62
what if its star player on high school team that finishes 5-5 and out of the playoffs,l but has a Thanksgiving game in 3 1/2 weeks. But he chooses to leave the team because h does not want to fall behind for basketball/wresting season?

Reactions: D1sideline
That could be another issue.. add to the mix.. say hoops is his main sport and the 3 weeks could impact a scholarship to a major college basketball program ..

It takes time but bowl games, as we knew them, are going the way of turkey day games.
Playoffs rule the day!
We, as adults, want what we had as kids. Tradition!
Kids/players want what is important to them today.
Now that the college championship isn't determined by the Press, it allowed two teams to compete for the title. Now it's four teams. Pretty soon it will be eight. How long before it becomes sixteen? I'm sure it will happen one day.
A great player might want to stick around and play if a championship were on the line. More so than risking injury playing in the "who gives a crap" bowl on channel 862 that no one cares about, but the school who gets the big bucks for the show.
High school kids feel the same way. Why play meaningless games after the season when you suck?
If your even half decent, say 5-5, your probably in 5A or 6A state playoffs anyway.
Now your playing a game that matters.
Do I like it, NO. Do I understand that side of it, yes!
No one likes change, but I didn't ride my horse home from the gym this morning either! Ha!

If you are not loyal to your group, however you characterize that; your team, your family, your unit, your friends....what are you worth? This is a value that is as old as time. It transcends time. Any words on playing pro, it's a different world and what if it was your kid have nothing to do with how you value your relationships. Those not playing have told us how they feel about their relationship with their team, friends and school.

Being loyal is awesome. It's also very rare!
Staying in one job for life? Group!
Staying married till you die? Family!
Staying at the same school for life as well? Team!

I worked in the real world for years where three different companies closed the doors on me. Where was the loyalty from them? Not being bitter, just realistic. Moved on!
As a coach, I don't want to admit how many times I was let go. Poor performance? Not really, but could be! When the head coach leaves (loyalty?) the staff gets canned as well, no matter how loyal I was it didn't matter.

Stalker, love the passion AND the loyalty. Wish it was that way with more people and companies.
GE, Navy Yard, AT&T.

Nice thing about the PSU-KY game is the players and staff all turned up for the game. That is all except PSU’s head coach who left his brain somewhere, going for a field goal in a bowl game, with 4 minutes left, hoping to get the ball back; emphasis on hoping. Hope is now strategy?

Unfortunately, no one told this guy they actually had the ball just as he was mulling over hoping they could get it back....by turning it over to one of the top running backs in the country on a team playing inspired ball.

So we’re stuck at 9-4 that isn’t bad if you’re Boston College, Army, Temple or Vanderbilt. But this is big time Penn State football where 9-4 and field goals instead of a “going for it all attitude” isn’t acceptable. I hope this guy gets his act together or moves on.

Things should get better bringing in out of state players especially form the south.

Things should get better bringing in out of state players especially form the south.
This incompetent can't win with McSorley and Barkley....McSorley and Barkley for crying out loud, so I wouldn't get your hopes too high as that combo doesn't come around too often. WAY out of his league at PSU.

PSU... 3 losses to ranked teams. Averaged over 40pts. per game. Football is a team sport 1 or 2 players do not make a FB team. PS lost to Kentucky because of special teams. Blocked field goal and punt return for TD, that's 10points. Then you would be happy with 10 & 3. WR coach was let go yesterday at PS after only one year.

PSU... 3 losses to ranked teams. Averaged over 40pts. per game. Football is a team sport 1 or 2 players do not make a FB team. PS lost to Kentucky because of special teams. Blocked field goal and punt return for TD, that's 10points. Then you would be happy with 10 & 3. WR coach was let go yesterday at PS after only one year.
Spec Teams is the most important aspect of the game, any game. Most important. So right, that's where he blew it. And there was no doubt who was more fired up; KY came to kick ass. Sometimes this year it was like watching the Eagles secondary wondering what in hell was going on.
That they couldn't get to the playoffs with Barkley/McSorley will always stand out, reflecting more on the staff than the selection process. Should have been invincible with that incomparable talent. And, there were others on that team beside those two that were special. It wasn't a 2-man show, although you need extraordinary talent to advance to the CFP as all the teams back thru BCS showed us, and PSU had it.
Maybe I'm old school having gone there because 10-3 does not make any one I know happy as you suggested, not at Penn State.

No excuse to lose to Kentucky - that's on the HC, his staff, and all of the players.

That being said, the players are starting to pour-in to Happy Valley. Something special is being built.

ADVERTISEMENT