ADVERTISEMENT

NIL to hit PA soon?

bucksftball

Gold Member
Apr 17, 2020
PIAA approved the first reading of the new policy, should be approved at one of the next couple of meetings. Who will start paying their athletes first? And how can you possibly maintain the facade that you’re not recruiting if alumni or others affiliated with the school start offering students NIL deals?

My guess is it is a big “nothing-burger.” The only plausible use-case would be extremely wealthy alums paying students at private schools. But those alums are already donating to offset tuition. I can’t imagine they’ll do more than that.

My guess is it is a big “nothing-burger.” The only plausible use-case would be extremely wealthy alums paying students at private schools. But those alums are already donating to offset tuition. I can’t imagine they’ll do more than that.
I wish I shared your optimism. At the college level it's exploded into something more than I think anyone expected for the top recruits. Can't see why am alum or booster wouldn't put a big time HS player on their payroll, even $100 a week could make a big difference in a player's life. And now you won't have to offset some of the tuition. You could flat out pay that player's tuition, turning it into a true athletic scholarship. Ohio supposedly shot this down already, and if NJ doesn't allow it, it's a big advantage for a non-boundary school that gets cross-border players. (And I'm not trying to make this a shot at private schools, no reason a booster couldn't pay a player to stay at or move to a public school)

I completely agree with you on the college level. I’m skeptical that it’ll make a major difference at the HS level. You may be right, only time will tell.

Couldn't rich alums in any district pay kids to appear as spokemen for their business? Seems like big public schools could come up with some bigtime $$$ if they wanted to.

More info clarifying the policy. Won’t go into effect until July 2023.

Couldn't rich alums in any district pay kids to appear as spokemen for their business? Seems like big public schools could come up with some bigtime $$$ if they wanted to.
most people in rich communities don't care about high school sports, i could see it working in some communities like Laurel Highlands where Rodney Gallagher has become a bit of a folk hero

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT