ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Tarburton @ PSU.

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001

Penn State’s Nick Tarburton is healthy, ready for chance to be breakout player​

Updated 3:02 PM; Today 3:02 PM
Penn State vs against the Maryland, Nov. 7, 2020

Penn State defensive end Nick Tarburton during pregame warmups before the Maryland game at Beaver Stadium on Nov. 7, 2020. Joe Hermitt | jhermitt@pennlive.com
Facebook Share
Twitter Share
By Daniel Gallen | dgallen@pennlive.com
STATE COLLEGE — Nick Tarburton knew at some point that he would return to the football field. Even on the most grueling days of rehab for Tarburton, the Penn State defensive end didn’t waver in his intent to get back into action for the Lions after injuries defined the early part of his time in college.

In three seasons with the Lions, Tarburton has played in only nine games. He’s changed positions from linebacker to defensive end, and he’s earned praise from coaches and teammates for his work in the offseason.

But he’s yet to fully showcase the range of skills that made him a four-star recruit in the Class of 2018 on the grass at Beaver Stadium. Tarburton, though, expects that to change this fall.

“I knew I would be back,” Tarburton said over Zoom on Wednesday afternoon. “It was just a matter of time of when I was going to be fully ready to go, and I knew I was going to come back no matter what. But the time is great now, and I’m feeling the best I have since I’ve gotten up here, so I’m super excited for this season.”

Read more: Here’s how to virtually follow Penn State football’s final spring practice on Saturday

Tarburton said his injuries were “a little bit of everything” and he was “nicked up in a lot of spots.” But he was healthy this offseason, and it led to some hype from the men who would know best on how Tarburton is progressing.

Last month, coach James Franklin highlighted Tarburton as a potential breakout candidate, while strength coach Dwight Galt praised Tarburton’s work in the offseason program.

“It probably was the best winter I’ve had since I’ve been here,” Tarburton said.

Opportunity awaits Tarburton this spring and summer, too. Former starters Jayson Oweh and Shaka Toney are off to the NFL, which leaves an opening at defensive end. Third-year sophomore Adisa Isaac and Temple transfer Arnold Ebiketie appear to be the early leaders for the starting jobs, but the 6-foot-3, 253-pound Tarburton could enter the conversation.

“My goal is obviously to help the team in any way I possibly can, whether I be a starter or wherever, but the competition’s been great,” Tarburton said. “All you guys know, obviously, Adisa Isaac’s a great player. The guy we just brought in, Arnold, is a great player, and we got a good group of young guys, too. So wherever I fit, I fit, and wherever on that depth [chart], I fall, I fall. My goal is just to be the best that I can be for my teammates and for my coaches and help this team be successful.”

Read more: Penn State notes: 3 standout plays from spring practice; Lions set hopeful dates for summer camps

Tarburton said he can be a physical presence for the Lions in the defense, and his game as some speed to it, in addition to the power.

If Tarburton can emerge as even a rotational contributor for the Lions, it would mark a significant step forward for the former Pennridge standout. The unevenness of his football career coupled with the coronavirus pandemic and Penn State’s struggles last season have created plenty of adversity for him, but Tarburton focused on how these past few years have shaped him as a player or a person.

“Without a doubt, I’ve had some struggles here, as far as just staying healthy and just having the time and the ability just to get better, it was tough,” Tarburton said. “It took a toll on me a little bit, but it made me better and stronger. I take that roller coaster as just an advantage in my opinion now. Looking back, I cherish the game so much more than I ever have, just the ability to play is just something special and I’m going to use that to my advantage, and I’m really looking forward to this season.”

Tarburton’s career has featured plenty of starts and stops in the past three seasons, but he leaned on the fact that he still has time to find his footing and take advantage of an opportunity. Tarburton enters his fourth season with redshirt sophomore eligibility, which means he could spend another three seasons in Happy Valley.

And in that remaining time, Tarburton wants to find the field and remain there.

“That’s always in the back of my head just because I am very fortunate just to be able to have that extra eligibility from the COVID year and just knowing I still have, including this year, three full years is special,” Tarburton said. “And I’m looking forward to however my circumstances turn out.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT