ADVERTISEMENT

Merger of two Topics

SPEED&JUMP DR.

Jan 3, 2007
This is kind of a merger of 2 recent topics on the board the past few weeks. In reading the Article on the Young arrest from Imhotep, the article says he was arrested Friday morning at "his" apartment. Not his brothers apartment, his moms apartment, etc.but his apartment. If this in fact true, how is an 18 year old kid affording his own apartment in this day and age and if he is in fact living on his own that may be part of the ;problem, but there did not seem any concern of this issue or red flags raised.

Then, in light of all transfer/recruiting talk going on, I got to thinking: If a adult ( 18 yrs old) high school player simply chose to move on his own , not with his parents, or guardian, or any family member, into a different school district, are there any rules in place to stop that? We often here stories about a family moving from Doyelstown to Lansdale so they kid can QB at Npenn, but if the kid is 18, can he just move on his own?

Speed.. I never thought about an 18 y.o. being able to enroll themselves into a HS..but you bring up a good point..

There is a handout I found that explains how you can published by: "How to Enroll Yourself as an Older Youth in School Education Law Center The Philadelphia Building" The link is below... it sounds like you may have to jup through a few hoops but it can be done.. I' guessing their would be several "T's" to cross and "I's" to dot... I wonder if anyone has tried this in the past?

https://www.elc-pa.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/HowtoEnrollYourselfasOlderYouth_Aug2012.pdf

Speed: Check the PIAA By-Laws Article Vl section E under Transfers, residence, and recruiting preamble

SH : thanks. I was aware of the various PIAA rules as it relates to a change of residence of the parents , guardians , Foster parent , etc. But no where did I see a rule where an emancipated athlete ( 18 or older ) can or cannot change residence on his own and retain eligibility.

Speed: I don't think I read anything either he can or can't change. He can do what he wants, but he can't transfer for athletic reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT