ADVERTISEMENT

Mcdevitt beats Ryan, Neuman and west keep rolling

Hsfootball0311

Sep 24, 2017
is anyone gonna beat neumann goretti? Is West a threat? And mcdevitt beats Ryan so many questions just wondering what you guys think on the catholic blue

is anyone gonna beat neumann goretti? Is West a threat? And mcdevitt beats Ryan so many questions just wondering what you guys think on the catholic blue
IMO NG will continue to improve with each game played . I think they take the CL blue. At the outset I thought West Catholic would be a serious threat ,but I have changed my opinion. McDevitt is a complete puzzle to me ,but I am vey glad they got another win. They should have beaten Bonner/Prendie and probably should have lost to OHara. If they had a decent passing game they would be more of a threat.

Question for Huck or anyone in the know, could you let me know if a linebacker from NG ,Javonne Campfield transferred from McDevitt also along with their other all catholic receiver. If so, I think its too bad that those two could have been difference makers this year for McDevitt. I just came across his name this week for NG and did not see him on the Lancers roster. I wish Albie would not hurt other small enrollment schools that are struggling as it is to get decent players . I know I'm venting ,but for just cause.With that said he better win states .

NG is absolutely the favorite. Is West a threat? Possibly. They're good enough on defense to make things interesting, especially if NG doesn't play an A-game offensively and either turns the ball or stunts drives with penalties. But a WC/NG game isn't a guaranteed right now. I'll explain below...

Very good win for McDevitt. First time all year they had some success with their passing game. Sets up a HUGE game with WC this weekend for that fourth subregional 2A D-1/12 playoff spot. The winner of this game will be in good position to get one of those spots. NG, Bristol, and Strawberry Mansion will be the other three teams in that mini-tournament. Seedings are still be determined. It goes by a point system.

Question for Huck or anyone in the know, could you let me know if a linebacker from NG ,Javonne Campfield transferred from McDevitt also along with their other all catholic receiver. If so, I think its too bad that those two could have been difference makers this year for McDevitt. I just came across his name this week for NG and did not see him on the Lancers roster. I wish Albie would not hurt other small enrollment schools that are struggling as it is to get decent players . I know I'm venting ,but for just cause.With that said he better win states .

Both of these kids actually left BM well before Albie was named head coach at NG. Both finished last school year at different schools (Not NG). These reasons for leaving BM weren't the same. I'll leave it at that. I'd say they are fortunate to be given a second chance at another PCL school.

NG is absolutely the favorite. Is West a threat? Possibly. They're good enough on defense to make things interesting, especially if NG doesn't play an A-game offensively and either turns the ball or stunts drives with penalties. But a WC/NG game isn't a guaranteed right now. I'll explain below...

Very good win for McDevitt. First time all year they had some success with their passing game. Sets up a HUGE game with WC this weekend for that fourth subregional 2A D-1/12 playoff spot. The winner of this game will be in good position to get one of those spots. NG, Bristol, and Strawberry Mansion will be the other three teams in that mini-tournament. Seedings are still be determined. It goes by a point system.

Huck, if I'm reading the 2A sub-region standings correctly, this weekend's WC-BM is close to being a playoff game. Since they both currently sit in the 4-5 spots, is this a winner in loser out type scenario? This 2A bracket sure isn't even in terms of seeding. The PCL teams playing in the semi-final will be the de facto championship game.

Last edited:
Huck, if I'm reading the 2A sub-region standings correctly, this weekend's WC-BM is close to being a playoff game. Since they both currently sit in the 4-5 spots, is this a winner in loser out type scenario? This 2A bracket sure isn't even in terms of seeding. The PCL teams playing in the semi-final will be the de facto championship game.

Relayer, there's a good chance that the loser will be out scenario, but West has O'Hara the following week and BM has LC, and I don't think you can call either of those games a definite win or loss for each team. So, with it being so close and power points involved from past opponents, then I don't think you can rule anything out.

There is a way for both WC and BM to pass Mansion and possibly Bristol if either wins out and Mansion loses to say Future (5-1) this weekend. Also, surpass Bristol even if they win out. So, the 2nd PCL team may not finish fourth. At the end of the day, it probably doesn't matter. You either play NG week one or week two. A West or NG game versus either Mansion and Bristol probably won't be pretty. Possiblt same with BM if they were to get there, too.

Reactions: lilromeo
Thanks Huck, the next couple weeks will be fun to watch with all the possibilities.

Question, is there a catholic league championship game, or is it whoever finishes 1st then the playoffs start?

Question, is there a catholic league championship game, or is it whoever finishes 1st then the playoffs start?
RED & Blue Champions are decided by Rs standings. When the season ends there are classification playoffs at the 6A (1 v 4, 2 v 3), 5A (2 v 3, winner plays 1), and 4A (Just a title game between CO/BP). At 3A there is just a City title game, followed by a 4-team subregional with D-1/12. At 2A there is just a 4-team subregional between D-1/12.

Where did you find playoff standings

Huck

How do you 3A playing out? Website says:

3A Football - 2 D1/D12 Team Playoff/ Champion advances to PIAA Playoff

Does that meab SoF D12 vs NHS D1 most likely, only teams to make playoffs?

Huck

How do you 3A playing out? Website says:

3A Football - 2 D1/D12 Team Playoff/ Champion advances to PIAA Playoff

Does that meab SoF D12 vs NHS D1 most likely, only teams to make playoffs?

My understanding is that Week 11 is a D-12 and D-1 title games. I know there is a D-12 title game. Week 12-13 will be a 4-team subregional. The winner of D-1 and D-12 get auto bids and the other two go to the next highest in points.

Most likely scenario is
1. New Hope
2. Future
3. Kipp
4. Lansdale

If C-E and LC both finish (2-4) in the league then LC gets bid because they beat them head-to-head. Even though CE might have more power points than them. That's how the PCL settles it's auto spot. There is no PCL 3A title game. The PUB has a 3A title game in week 10, but the PCL is still playing out their RS.

As of now, Kipp Charter will probably get that 4th spot at (3-5) over C-E at (4-6).

Like I mentioned earlier, C-E shellacked NHS, who will end up being the #1 seed in the subregional tourney.

Some of the Philly PUB teams benefit from beating other truly awful 6A Pub teams. They rack up major points from this.

I have a friend whose kid plays for New Hope-Solebury. They are in a tough spot. The Bicentennial League is awful in football. It does nothing to prepare them for the tougher schools in the playoffs. The problem is where would they go if they left the BAL? The Colonial League would be a better fit, but probably not the best geographically. Palisades could be their rival in Bucks Co. Honestly, I think NHS might take some lumps if playing in that league.

I have a friend whose kid plays for New Hope-Solebury. They are in a tough spot. The Bicentennial League is awful in football. It does nothing to prepare them for the tougher schools in the playoffs. The problem is where would they go if they left the BAL? The Colonial League would be a better fit, but probably not the best geographically. Palisades could be their rival in Bucks Co. Honestly, I think NHS might take some lumps if playing in that league.
I agree with you .Colonial would be doable IMO. I really like their RB. I saw him in a pre season scrimmage vs McD and he can run. If they don't have to play CE again it will be a blessing.The last time I saw Palisades it was against West Catholic and it was ugly. Apparently the transfer from CB West has helped them a bit this year.

Doesn't seem like this is the same old Palisades. They've only given up 16 points in the first half this year. Being a Bucks Co school playing in D11, I'll be rooting for them.

Relayer, there's a good chance that the loser will be out scenario, but West has O'Hara the following week and BM has LC, and I don't think you can call either of those games a definite win or loss for each team. So, with it being so close and power points involved from past opponents, then I don't think you can rule anything out.

There is a way for both WC and BM to pass Mansion and possibly Bristol if either wins out and Mansion loses to say Future (5-1) this weekend. Also, surpass Bristol even if they win out. So, the 2nd PCL team may not finish fourth. At the end of the day, it probably doesn't matter. You either play NG week one or week two. A West or NG game versus either Mansion and Bristol probably won't be pretty. Possiblt same with BM if they were to get there, too.
I'll see O'Hara tonight but I agree BM and LC is a toss up and judging by O'Hara record their game with WC def too close to call. I'll have a better handle on it after seeing CO tonight.

With the above being said I think the only way that NG loses is if they beat themselves. Atmosphere last week vs LC at halftime was almost as if they were losing the game. Tons of talent and they know it and they also know if they play up to that talent there is nobody that can beat them. I saw Bristol and they just don't have the horses to compete with them but they play hard and at the HS level playing hard for the whole game has produced some unexpected results.

With the above being said I think the only way that NG loses is if they beat themselves. Atmosphere last week vs LC at halftime was almost as if they were losing the game. Tons of talent and they know it and they also know if they play up to that talent there is nobody that can beat them. I saw Bristol and they just don't have the horses to compete with them but they play hard and at the HS level playing hard for the whole game has produced some unexpected results.

The only team that has a realistic chance of beating NG in D-1/12 is WC. And it's really not close. They are the only team with the talent and physicality on defense to provide some resistance.

Burrs5 I agree to a point I was at that west NG game, the only problem I seen with West they just couldn’t move the ball and was on their 3rd qb by the end of the game, the NG dlinemen was literally making plays while driving a olineman 5-7 yards back, if west can’t figure out a solution for the NG d, it’ll just be another long night, but they did hold them to only 20, the west td came late and was setup by a botched snap on the punt, these two teams may very well meet in 2 weeks correct?

Burrs5 I agree to a point I was at that west NG game, the only problem I seen with West they just couldn’t move the ball and was on their 3rd qb by the end of the game, the NG dlinemen was literally making plays while driving a olineman 5-7 yards back, if west can’t figure out a solution for the NG d, it’ll just be another long night, but they did hold them to only 20, the west td came late and was setup by a botched snap on the punt, these two teams may very well meet in 2 weeks correct?

NG is better. WC doesn't have deep OL play and they were missing a kid on the OL that would have helped. WC only played two QBs. The starter has to absolutely play better and control what he can control. Stop thinking and just play football. He's capable if he does. It was 0-0 midway thru the 2nd QT and until Brown broke two tackles at midfield (Great individual effort, but poor tackling on that play). Brown has one other solid run but was otherwise hit often and they did a good job on him. The second score came off a punt return by Brown that set them up inside the 15. Prior to this he returned the 2nd half kickoff to the 15 and WC's defense held. You can't kick it to him. Not that someone else on NG can't make a play in that regard, but play the percentages there. Let someone else beat you. Wells and Monroe were basically neutralized. Wells had one solid run on the last play of the game when they probably should have been taking knees. They didn't pass the ball all that well and their best moment there came off a flukey bounce. Barmore was an absolute manchild who caused much havoc. He absolutely has to be contained. You can't neutralize him all the way, but you have to make things harder for him. WC's offense isn't going to run up and down the field on NG, but they can't be predictable either. It would be a tough game for the Burrs no doubt, but not impossible, IMO. Get the game tight into the fourth quarter and maybe an undefeated NG team starts to press and they make some mistakes.

Anyway, my point was that WC is the only team in D-1/12 that has chance to knock them off. And I think that's fairly obvious.

Again, if WC actually gets that chance because they have to basically win their last two games to make that subregional.

Got it thanks, I couldn’t think of browns name, he’s 4, it don’t seem like they use him as much as you would think, I just took a clance at the stats and barmore is a player

Got it thanks, I couldn’t think of browns name, he’s 4, it don’t seem like they use him as much as you would think, I just took a clance at the stats and barmore is a player

They spread it around. IMO, if they get to the Final 8 or beyond that will have to change if they want to increase their chances of winning. Those others are good players, but he can be exceptional, IMO.

Also, remove Brown and Barmore and I'm not sure there is much difference between NG and WC. And I'm not calling them a two man team because they're not. They have many good players, but WC has some good players, too. It's that these two influence games more than anyone else. Again, IMO.

RED & Blue Champions are decided by Rs standings. When the season ends there are classification playoffs at the 6A (1 v 4, 2 v 3), 5A (2 v 3, winner plays 1), and 4A (Just a title game between CO/BP). At 3A there is just a City title game, followed by a 4-team subregional with D-1/12. At 2A there is just a 4-team subregional between D-1/12.
Yes

There is a way for both WC and BM to pass Mansion and possibly Bristol if either wins out and Mansion loses to say Future (5-1) this weekend. Also, surpass Bristol even if they win out. So, the 2nd PCL team may not finish fourth. At the end of the day, it probably doesn't matter. You either play NG week one or week two. A West or NG game versus either Mansion and Bristol probably won't be pretty. Possiblt same with BM if they were to get there, too. Wow burrs you were point on about NG, they won a tight game, but damn near beat themselves with penalties and turnovers, ohara is a very well coached and good looking team, it was entertaining, but I seen all the NG flaws tonight, don’t get me wrong if they can fix it, they are a really tough out, but wow if I counted correctly it was somewhere along the lines of 16-3 in penalties NG, 2 turnovers to 1 , but two completely different halves

Leddie Brown might be a better safety than he is a RB and he is a great RB. Chris Wells is more than a capable back with explosiveness and this saves Leddie for defense. Leddie comes in when they need him and everything I just said makes NG a better TEAM.

Leddie Brown might be a better safety than he is a RB and he is a great RB. Chris Wells is more than a capable back with explosiveness and this saves Leddie for defense. Leddie comes in when they need him and everything I just said makes NG a better TEAM.
I agree

Just from tonight’s game NG OVER CAME adversity, but if they don’t fix their game, I wouldn’t be shocked if or when they get beat, but being at both games NG vs west and Tonight’s game I wouldn’t be shocked if ohara beats west IMO

Couple observations from NG-O'Hara game. O'Hara was very well prepared. They are very well coached. Hogan and the Connors are very good. They are very limited offensively. They did fantastic job of exploiting NG's aggressive nature on D to squeak out some scores. O'Hara did very good work on D but ultimately NG had too much on that side of the ball.

NG has some things to get cleaned up. Start with the special teams. Going for two every time going to become a major problem as competition gets better. Whatever they were doing on kick return looked like something out of Wildcat AA. Trying to pitch the ball back after pooch kick cost them one score. Catch the ball and get up field. There seems to be real apprehension in punting. Going for it on 4th and 9 from your own territory basically told the story that they either hadn't been in that situation or just had no confidence.

They take a ton of penalties. At one point on defense they had 12 guys on field for 3 straight plays that went uncalled. To be fair other than that O'Hara certainly got the lion share of the calls at home. Also when it got to the nitty gritty they got unbelievably conservative in their play calling. O'Hara correctly assessed that NG would run it right at them in second half and basically went man to man on outside on some pretty good athletes. At one point their were two backups out there for O'hara. NG either didn't notice or didn't care. Again it worked and they won. However moving forward if the default when you meet your physical match is to go I and pound it I don't think that's their best option.

NG is very talented. Their skill kids are really good. The line is good. I think 77 might be their best player. Not too many guys at 2a are going to be able to play with some of these kids. But in the reverse funnel of the playoffs they won't get away with what they did last night. I'm sure Albie and his guys know that and will go back and learn from this film. A lot of times teams that sneak out with one like this take a major step forward in the coming weeks. It was a great game to watch and a very entertaining Friday evening. Congrats to NG for finding a way in tough circumstances and to O'Hara for playing their tails off for the full game.

Just from tonight’s game NG OVER CAME adversity, but if they don’t fix their game, I wouldn’t be shocked if or when they get beat, but being at both games NG vs west and Tonight’s game I wouldn’t be shocked if ohara beats west IMO

Absolutely CO can beat WC, but their offense versus WC's defense isn't a good match-up for them if the Burrs are disciplined. CO's defense can stunt WC drives if WC commits penalties and wastes plays due to disorganization. West needs to win to make subregional. O'Hara might be without their best all-around player who ended the NG game in an immobilizer.

ADVERTISEMENT