ADVERTISEMENT

Mars 2022

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
New thread for Mars.

I heard three things this pass weekend. Coach K is moving to Ma so his son will be available to play QB. That should be an upgrade as I hear he’s pretty talented - but only a sophomore. But my guess is that he’s been working with his Dad and Jochem for a while so should be capable.

Next, I heard that one of P-R’s best young WRs is also moving back to Mars.

Gotta believe Coach Ks son will be immediately eligible and the other kid is 50-50 from the WPIAL.

Finally, talk is that they have upward of 90 kids 9-12 with many kids coming back now that they old staff is out.

But, a lot remains to be seen. I will continue asking around.

Reactions: Bighead75
so this proves my point that if Mars suddenly becomes a powerhouse that means shady things were going on

so this proves my point that if Mars suddenly becomes a powerhouse that means shady things were going on
Shady things like bringing in a top coach to energize the base? Come on BP, you can't just throw out accusations without proving them. That's "high school" and its called slander. Granted people cheat. What do you have?

Reactions: lilromeo
Scott Heinauer, who remains as AD, was not a bad coach. But a fresh face was probably needed. 30 years of wing T road grader running offense was no doubt getting stale. It drove a great athlete like WR Peter Gonzalez to transfer to Central Catholic. And last year he simply didn't have the line or RB's to execute that offense. Take a look at that record, they were really bad. Almost every game was a blowout loss, even to pathetic programs like Shaler.

A huge task ahead of Kasperowicz, but he's a great coach and having his son at QB is really going to help. Bet he gets Mars back to .500 this year.

I was hearing that many of the best athletes migrated to Lacrosse and never came back for football.

Scott Heinauer, who remains as AD, was not a bad coach. But a fresh face was probably needed. 30 years of wing T road grader running offense was no doubt getting stale. It drove a great athlete like WR Peter Gonzalez to transfer to Central Catholic. And last year he simply didn't have the line or RB's to execute that offense. Take a look at that record, they were really bad. Almost every game was a blowout loss, even to pathetic programs like Shaler.

A huge task ahead of Kasperowicz, but he's a great coach and having his son at QB is really going to help. Bet he gets Mars back to .500 this year.
Central doesn't exactly have a high powered modern offense

and Mars has always been better than .500 until last year

They've been a solid program the last 10 year going 72-36 and 53-23 the seven years before that; one losing season the last 17 years.
Like aerogenes said, they likely return to .500 this year as it's in their DNA.

I can’t imagine things will end well if kids are ending up at mars from PR. Coach k’s son is obvious, but for anyone else that’s literally athletic intent based on how the wpial has been ruling in recent memory. And there is a solid argument to be made that coach K took the mars job just to have a pretty easy shot at getting/convincing talent from PR to transfer there. I see things getting tense again this summer…

"Next, I heard that one of P-R’s best young WRs is also moving back to Mars."

Ah. Understood. Weekend update: Not gonna happen from everyone at P-R I've spoken with. Seem's that it was one of those kids thing "Wouldn't it be cool if we all played together."

Gonzales is interesting case. I really doubt he'd come back from PCC though.

I would like to go see Mars practice this summer. Does anyone know when they will 7v7? Or I can ask around.

Ah. Understood. Weekend update: Not gonna happen from everyone at P-R I've spoken with. Seem's that it was one of those kids thing "Wouldn't it be cool if we all played together."

Gonzales is interesting case. I really doubt he'd come back from PCC though.

I would like to go see Mars practice this summer. Does anyone know when they will 7v7? Or I can ask around.
Looking at the map they wouldn't have to go far (aunt, uncle, gparents, cousins, friends?) to be legal, in Mars school district. School to school is 4 miles. Had no idea they were that close.

Looking at the map they wouldn't have to go far (aunt, uncle, gparents, cousins, friends?) to be legal, in Mars school district. School to school is 4 miles. Had no idea they were that close.
That’s exactly the problem

Reactions: Stalker
The school districts touch. Many neighborhoods are split P-R and Mars.

So they can essentially walk a few blocks and live with cousin Bob; go to Mars. I understand that reality (Ridley, Interboro, Penn Wood, Chester, Strath Haven, Academy Pk) of everyone being on top of each other.
But it still strikes me coming from an area where the closest rival to Gburg sees you wading through corn field getting to Northern in Dillsburg, Boiling Spgs, Shippensburg, Mechanicsburg, Waynesboro etc, 22 to 31 miles away now that they're back in the Mid Penn-Colonial and out of the York League.

It must be very tempting in these scenarios across the Commonwealth to make your move, literally.

So, a big factor that nobody is talking about- the first "determining factor" for a transfer is a "HS approval" of the move- it is the "sending HS principal" that has sign off. In this case- PR. So, PR would have to sign off, saying that a kids moving is "not for sports reasons." AND this may actually affect EK's kid. I have heard a few comments about PR admin- maybe suggesting they might not even sign off on EK's son let alone other kids. I kinda doubt any other current kids will try to transfer- but a few 7th and 8th grades might move, and few PR kids have quit. There are also a few younger kids form PR who are just quitting- sick of all of the changes and turmoil. I cannot imagine what will happen if Pr denies the son going to Mars- yipes, w hole new controversy!!

And- its gonna be tough for Mars kids to shift away from lacrosse- Mars is becoming very well known for lacrosse.

New- I'm not sure about 7-7, I have not seen anything, but Im sure Mars will try to get some scheduled.

So, a big factor that nobody is talking about- the first "determining factor" for a transfer is a "HS approval" of the move- it is the "sending HS principal" that has sign off. In this case- PR. So, PR would have to sign off, saying that a kids moving is "not for sports reasons." AND this may actually affect EK's kid. I have heard a few comments about PR admin- maybe suggesting they might not even sign off on EK's son let alone other kids. I kinda doubt any other current kids will try to transfer- but a few 7th and 8th grades might move, and few PR kids have quit. There are also a few younger kids form PR who are just quitting- sick of all of the changes and turmoil. I cannot imagine what will happen if Pr denies the son going to Mars- yipes, w hole new controversy!!

And- its gonna be tough for Mars kids to shift away from lacrosse- Mars is becoming very well known for lacrosse.

New- I'm not sure about 7-7, I have not seen anything, but Im sure Mars will try to get some scheduled.
Lacross/soccer has really exploded (I imagine) across the country. I know it's HUGE at Gettysburg College, checking them out occasionally, 2 All Ams! You can get banged up tho rarely like FB. And you know guys, we just like to compete; lacross, ping pong, FB, hoops....anything, and it doesn't hurt as much.
To my understanding there are few full rides but partials exist. Definitely been a shift of interest/concerns the last 10 years.

Reactions: new2pa
Also heard last night Mars will be at Pitt 7v7. Will try and get some info on that.

Have not heard anything about Mars at Pitt. Just P-R. Anybody?

Over the last couple weeks, had a chance to talk with some people about Mars football. Here's what I found out.

On the line, they won't be huge - around 215-225 - but very athletic. The had a LAX kid come join the team who could make a difference on the OL. At the WR position, their slot player is Nesselroad who is their best WR. Last year's QB, Bartley, is also a bigger WR who plays the same position Miller and Hasley did at P-R. The outside WR's are still a work in progress. Most dynamic player on the team is the RB, Wright, who I think had several brothers play for Mars. Kasperowicz is the QB.

Everyone I talked to was excited about their defense - mainly their front 7. Another LAX player is playing DE and I guess is crazy athletic - Hartel. They return one LB (Hull) and a kid who was hurt last year is back out and pretty good. (Maple). The other LB is Bartley. I also heard some good things about a 3rd LAX kid that came out. Bigger kid that can run - don't have any details though. The secondary currently is Nesselroad and Wright, Childress at one S (played LB last year) and Mayor at the other S.

Super young this year - I think at least 15 of the 22 starting spots are underclassman. Also, everyone told me that they have some excellent freshman that will see time, and that their 4-8th grade teams all have 30-35+ kids per grade, which are a huge number of players per grade.

They scrimmage Elizabeth Forward next saturday who is a good team so I will try and find out more after that.

Have only heard a little about Mars vs Elizabeth Forward and Baldwin. Mars offense was ok at best. Was mainly 2 RB and 3 WR and a little spread. Mostly ran ball and a few passes. Defense was b-a-d. Allowed at least 4 scores. No real player details. Who did good or bad. They open with Montour Friday. Will be interesting to see what they do. I can’t imagine them not being spread, but maybe they don’t have the kids.

Nice win for Coach Kasper and the plants. Battled back through adversity for the W. From the live stream, it looks like they have done an excellent job recreating and expanding the stuff they did at P-R. And they play fast. Some mistakes on offense in the first half put them down at the half by 5 (3 turnovers) but defense had a great goal line stand to end the half and a pick-6 to extend the lead. A nice drive and a pick-6 and a 40 yard scramble for the TD gave them 34 and that was enough.

Wow, I did not see the "week zero" game- but reading the articles- wow- stormed back from like 16 point deficit to win!?

Great stuff, credit to the kids and coaching staff. Sure did not take long for Mars to start developing a winning atmosphere. Kasper and staff are already teaching those kids to believe in themselves- and learning life lessons beyond football.

Maybe the coaching staff should all be fired?

But seriously, looking at their schedule... maybe playoffs in year 1?? Other than North Catholic, I do not see nay teams that would be a "lot better" than Montour? Not sure about "going far" in the playoffs this year with the caliber of teams in 4A, but jeez, could "get in," and only be better next year.

Wow, I did not see the "week zero" game- but reading the articles- wow- stormed back from like 16 point deficit to win!?

Great stuff, credit to the kids and coaching staff. Sure did not take long for Mars to start developing a winning atmosphere. Kasper and staff are already teaching those kids to believe in themselves- and learning life lessons beyond football.

Maybe the coaching staff should all be fired?

But seriously, looking at their schedule... maybe playoffs in year 1?? Other than North Catholic, I do not see nay teams that would be a "lot better" than Montour? Not sure about "going far" in the playoffs this year with the caliber of teams in 4A, but jeez, could "get in," and only be better next year.
It took him a couple years in Pine Richland to turn it around but Mars will be on the rise just like PR will be on the decline. The program is off to a good start not to mention they brought his son in at QB and will have him for a few years. Glad to see kasperovitz doing well after PR school district did him dirty and seeing him back on the sidelines.

At P-R, the hurdles were PCC, NA, and a deep class 4A.

At Mars, its going to be Quips, TJ, Port, etc.

So similarities for sure.

With that being said, that group at P-R in '14 included an NFL QB, and several college players. Not sure that's going to happen so quickly at Mars. But, it is basically kids from the same neighborhoods (P-R and Mars) so you never know.

I appreciate the updates, new2pa! I'm hoping that I can make it to one of their games this season. If they have any sort of success, even a .500 season this year, they'll be quite dangerous over the next few years!

I appreciate the updates, new2pa! I'm hoping that I can make it to one of their games this season. If they have any sort of success, even a .500 season this year, they'll be quite dangerous over the next few years!
Yes it will. I am going to try and get to this weeks home game and check them out. I will keep you posted.

Reactions: bummer01
Mars rolled over New Castle. New Castle’s only score came on a kickoff return in Q1. They probably didn’t gain 100 yards on offense. Mars O was led by Evan Wright and Hetherington who account for over 300 yards and 5 TDs. Game was never close. Biggest thing was I saw starting WR/FS leave game early with what looked like an ankle or leg injury and never return. From what I can tell, looks like coaches are running P-R O and D exactly.

Mars has always been a competitive team, outside of last year

what's funny about Kasper at Mars is it was the former coach Scott Heinauer who publicly said that no coach should apply at PR in a way to protest his firing, wonder how he feels about Kasper taking his job

the players and parents at Mars did the opposite of the players and parents at PR, they went to the school board and said they wanted him gone haha

Mars has always been a competitive team, outside of last year

what's funny about Kasper at Mars is it was the former coach Scott Heinauer who publicly said that no coach should apply at PR in a way to protest his firing, wonder how he feels about Kasper taking his job

the players and parents at Mars did the opposite of the players and parents at PR, they went to the school board and said they wanted him gone haha
It's wasn't Mars's coach it was gateways coach Don Hall so I'm sure he doesn't care https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wp...on/HSVKKYOTCFCHFEXCRKAWFCM4RY/?outputType=amp

Wow- this year is gonna be fascinating for Mars and 4A in WPIAL- Mars in on pace to go maybe 9-1. Then they will meet the big-dogs in the playoffs, TJ, CV, Port, Quips. Gonna be tough, this will not be "too much" for the coaches, but will be new for the kids. Bottom line is, the WPIAL champ will be very battle-tested for state playoffs, gonna go far!

As I said a few months ago on another thread- Mars will be good this year, maybe challenge for WPIAL title next year- when the kids get some experience against the "best" like I listed above.

One of the most fascinating weeks, may be Mars v Kiski- A "common opponent" between Mars and PR- imagine if (and when) Mars beats them 50-0, which could happen... is Mars, NOW, "better than PR?"

to the point of previous coach Heinaur- I'm sure if he watched 20 minutes of "current" practice, he realizes that he was outdated, and the kids have a much better coaching staff now. Maybe he can go get coffee with, and maybe coach with Steve Campos somewhere.

and... wow, imagine this.... Fall of 2024- maybe realignment puts Mars and PR both in 5A...probably would be in same conference!! Very possible

Reactions: bummer01
Just watched Mars - Blackhawk live stream. Very much a mixed bag. Defense was good except when they needed to be. Mars went for it on 4th on their OWN 20 and didn't get it. Defense gave up TD. Can't really complain about that. They then gave up a 1 play long TD pass on a go route and the final go-ahead FG drive which was greatly aided by penalties. On Offense, it doesn't look like they can pass at all downfield. Everything short and attempts downfield are not really close. No one open or they are missed. On the upside, their RB is solid to better with Wright and another kid (#20) capable of big runs and grinding it. Seems like their OL and front 7 on D are good, but the skill guys besides wright are below average.

They have Indiana this week at home, which should also be streamed. First conference game I believe.

Big game for Mars this week vs. Highlands @ Highlands. For first place in the conference. Since the Blackhawk loss they have looked very good on both sides of the ball. They have been very explosive on offense, and seem to have shored things up in the secondary along with effectively stopping the run.

With a win, they should be the favorite to win the conference and get a top 3 seed in the playoffs.

Big game for Mars this week vs. Highlands @ Highlands. For first place in the conference. Since the Blackhawk loss they have looked very good on both sides of the ball. They have been very explosive on offense, and seem to have shored things up in the secondary along with effectively stopping the run.

With a win, they should be the favorite to win the conference and get a top 3 seed in the playoffs.
woof- top 3 in 4A, no that level is LOADED, i would be very surprised- 4A includes Port, CV, Quips and TJ. That means Mars would get seeded ahead of 2 of those teams? No, I doubt it- Mars might get that respect next year, but not this year- the Blackhawk loss was a bad loss. Maybe if they win-out, and dominate Highlands and North Catholic, maybe 4 seed.

Just thinking if they win their conference. A conference winner isn't going to get a 5 seed IMO. It will be a 3 or a 4 for the conference winner.

Just thinking if they win their conference. A conference winner isn't going to get a 5 seed IMO. It will be a 3 or a 4 for the conference winner.
Yep, good point about being "conference champ" but jeez, again, 4A is loaded, CV, Quips and Port- those 3 might be top 5 in the whole state, i can't imagine any of them being seeded below Mars, but we will see! 4A and 5A, are just loaded, and VERY competitive in WPIAL

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT