ADVERTISEMENT

Marple 31- Garnet Valley 34 FINAL

Ptomaselli, I recognize GV is having another great year. But what makes you say that after this game? Is Marple a good team? I sometimes struggle to keep up with the Delco teams being from Upper Bucks.

Playing against teams in your league is no easy task. Year after year it's the same format. Marple ran the wing-T for years. Chris Gicking has changed their format creating a new learning curve. I prefer the playoffs with new matchups.

Ptomaselli, I recognize GV is having another great year. But what makes you say that after this game? Is Marple a good team? I sometimes struggle to keep up with the Delco teams being from Upper Bucks.[/QUOT
Playing against teams in your league is no easy task. Year after year it's the same format. Marple ran the wing-T for years. Chris Gicking has changed their format creating a new learning curve. I prefer the playoffs with new matchups.
Agreed Foot on beating league teams is no easy task (see Dtown West keeping it close w DEast last night). I read Marple’s QB just eclipsed his coaches passing record last night. Have to admit Central has become much stronger up top even w a mediocre Ridley. GV Haverford Springfield and MN all should very good in the D1 6A and 5A playoffs. Springfield looks like they could beat some of the 6A playoff teams.

Yes Marple is good. Big up front, QB very good, excellent receiver with nice complimentary kids and good running back. Central League good at the top this year with contrasting styles and teams.

Marple matches up with Garnet Valley better then other Central teams because of size up front. Two games in Central would skew an outsiders opinion of League if you were just score watching. Haverford 35-0 over Marple and Garnet 28-13 over Haverford. Marple played clunker against Haverford on night where Haverford was great. Haverford played as bad the following week against Garnet Valley.

Garnet Valley very well coached and their online is big and very good. Defensively they are work in progress. To beat them in 6a it will be a team that can match their size and out athlete them outside.

Haverford might be most athletic team but smaller up front on both sides. Haven't shown consistent ability to run the ball but very explosive in passing game. A big physical team who runs it right at them and has enough athletes to run with them in secondary will be a problem.

Springfield also light but have a lot of athletes and all 11 on defense can run. Probably have best back in league. New QB has been solid. Games against Marple,Garnet, and Haverford will be telling. They sure look good right now. Think a big physical team like a Rustin might be a problem type opponent.

Marple very interesting. Their size passes eye test on both sides. Their secondary had problems against haverford. Think they are crazy dangerous in 5a. Would not be suprised if Springfield and Marple play twice.

Lastly if Ridley wins out and sneaks in their d good enough to pose a first round problem. If I'm Garnet Valley the prospect of having to play Ridley again would not be appealing.

Have not seen Upper Darby yet so will refrain from comment.

Ridley?

27564b31a1c57ad28ecc2c5a8925aadface07277f29de1b474599386af244f61.jpg

GV will send them back to MacDade for certain.

Cheers,

Busch

Reactions: BoroBucs
Strong likelihood Ridley Upper Darby is for a 6a playoff spot in three weeks. 16 of 33 make it. And yes if I'm Garnet Valley there are many other teams I would rather see than Ridley in that first round.

Gang Green,
You realize that it is a district tournament and not a Central League tournament? Ridley may not even have a winning record. How are they going to make the playoffs? Meanwhile, Coatesville had one loss and was a 12 seed last week. Ridley and Upper Darby will most likely have 4 losses. Avon Grove has a better chance of getting in. Bensalem, CB West, etc. Last spots will most likely go to Suburban One teams because they play in leagues where everyone involved is a 6A team. As Busch would say, Cheers my friend. You have obviously been over served this evening!

Ridley scored a whopping 14 points ( 0 in second half ) against a robust radnor team. They will struggle to score points against most teams and UD will give them trouble. Schedule wise , remember UD does not play Haverford until thanksgiving ( after play off teams are determined ), so that likely loss won't hurt them in the playoff points.

GV can score on anyone. I too am not crazy about their defense. They will struggle to contain offenses that have size and athletes ( NPenn, Coatesville , DTEast, etc). No news flash there , most teams will struggle against those offenses. I don't think your going to see many 14-7 games in districts this year

Springfield and Marple are only 5A and both will be players at that level. Also, if they sneak in , Strath HAven is playing really well now and that Wing T could cause some problems for a team that's not familiar with it .

You guys do realize who Ridley plays correct? If they beat Upper Darby they run the table. Would make them 6-4 including two 6a wins left on the table for power points. Look at the other teams schedules ahead of them. It's not a lock but stand by original statements. Think Upper Darby Ridley going to be for one of the last spots.

IADelco a rare Saturday without a drop. By no means do I think Ridley or Upper Darby are some juggernaught. However even though I am not inter ac educated I can do some basic math and can read.

If Upper Darby has four losses they lose two of next three. Unless their one win was Ridley that likely means Ridley runs the table. I think it likely Upper Darby and Ridley are playing to get to 6-4. Think Ud loses to Middletown. Plus if Ridley runs table they pick up bonus points by beating two 6as.

The Sol teams do have power points advantage but some of these teams play each other. Avon Grove doubtful. They have dte an coatesville. Not a stats major but that would be 5 losses. Actually dtw shanahan big game for 6a playoffs. Games have to be played but a 6-4 Central team has a path to the 16. It's by no means out of the question. Some things have to happen. Haverford was last team in at 6-4 last year and Ridley has 6a nonleague win over Judge. Going to be very close. PS I'm also not a Ridley guy. So whether they make it or not inconsequential to me.

GG. Haverford did sneak in last year as a 16 seed at 6-4 , but with a diffrent schedule. UD has non league games against Bonner and Middletwon , 4A schools , which will hurt them.

If Ridley wins out . 2 of the wins would be winless Lower Nerion , and 1 win Conestoga. So very little bonus points there.

Speed beat me to the punch. That would be the type of math with analytics and perspective that us Inter-Ac alumns have the ability to perform. Try not to get blind loyalty in the way GG. There are also way too many teams to jump in order to get in. Besides, this year it's better for the Green Raiders to sit this one out and play an extra game or two and get ready for Thanksgiving. Green Mystique won't save them this year. If they were to sneak in, a plethora of possible beat downs awaits them in the playoffs worse than what Coatesville did to them last year. I don't think this board can handle another one of those meltdowns. It would probably run longer than Pine-Richland.

GG. Haverford did sneak in last year as a 16 seed at 6-4 , but with a diffrent schedule. UD has non league games against Bonner and Middletwon , 4A schools , which will hurt them.

If Ridley wins out . 2 of the wins would be winless Lower Nerion , and 1 win Conestoga. So very little bonus points there.

I believe Middletown Delaware will equate to a 6A school who will finish the season with at least 7 wins by the time district 1 playoffs start. There are over 600 boys in the school.

From classification standpoint Ridley schedule better than Haverford's last year. Judge vs Chester, Ud vs lansdale catholic. Understand the wins part but it's going to be close. We shall see. Doesn't mean they are definitely in if 6-4 but it's way closer. Also the funny part is I'm as far from a Ridley guy as there can be but have tremendous respect for their program.

FWIW, I keep track of District 1 6A playoff standings with an Excel spreadsheet that I update weekly. The discussion about Ridley made me run a projection through the end of the season, picking winners for all games affecting the 6A playoffs. Obviously, I made a lot of assumptions, educated guesses and regular guesses, but I generally went with who I considered "favorites" to win. I gave Upper Darby a win over Strath Haven and a loss to Middletown DE. Ridley got wins over Lower Merion and Conestoga. So, in my projection, if Ridley beats UD...

Ridley gets in as a 15 seed, UD is out.

If UD wins, they are the 15 seed and Ridley is out.

If UD also loses to Strath Haven, they are out even if they beat Ridley.

For what it's worth...

That is interesting. How would they jump Downingtown West if they were to win out which I think is possible. Is it the Upper Darby win that would put Ridley over the top? Schedules are compatible from the beginning of the year.

Hood: If UD beats both Haven and Middletown and Loses to Ridley, and Ridley wins out, do they both get in?

Also, Middletown shows an enrollment of about 1200 total, so assuming 600 boys total, that would leave them at 450 boys grades 10-12. That might make them 5A?

Should make for an exciting last few weeks. I haven't seen them play this year, but by looking at their results, UD should be the favorite vs Ridley. They gave GV and Sprinfield tough games (Both undefeated). They held springfield to their lowest total and lost by a score to GV .

Ridley has shown signs of a tough team when they played GV but then their outing vs Radnor last week wasn't very impressive. I think UD could be a sleeper in all of this. They score points and defend even better.

Ridley would have 3 6A wins (Judge, Conestoga, UD) and 550 projected bonus points for opponent wins. West only has one 6A win (Neshaminy) and 540 projected bonus points. West ended up the first team out at 17. Of course, a few different results, upsets, etc., could have a big effect.

Speed, if UD beat SH and a 5A Middletown but loses to Ridley, Ridley is the 15 and UD is the 16.

Does interac math, research, perspective and analytics come with or without apologies? In addition to my math being right lo and behold there is a path where both UD and Ridley can get in which beyond proves the original point.

Not bad for a mere commoner. Thanks to 705 for backing up my original analysis. Still a lot of results to play out here but premise 100% correct. All in good fun. Nice that there are people looking at this to talk to.

Hood -

You had to mention that D-Town West's only 6A win was over Neshaminy - ugh!!

By the way, the Pennsbury group over at Truman is really producing results with the Tigers.

Nice to see that.

Based on your possible projections- garnet could end up seeing ridley or ud in the first round of the playoffs. That would be interesting. Question- where does ud fall if they win out? And if you're doing projections for 5a- can Springfield beat out unionville for the top seed?

Mole - sorry about mentioning that! Yes, Truman has been greatly improved with the new staff. Went to the Pennsbury-Truman game last Friday. Truman appeared to have more players on the roster, and more bodies in the stands, than in previous years. And Dave Sanderson's Wing-T has not changed - looked like Pennsbury circa 2014 (minus Charles Snorweah). Truman tried 4 passes all game - one sack, one defensive pass interference, one incomplete and one INT - despite trailing by 2-3 TDs throughout the second half.

Delco - yes, a GV vs Ridley or UD first round game is a definite possibility (he said oxymoronically). Unfortunately, I left my projection spreadsheet on the computer at work, so I will run the UD winning out scenario tomorrow morning and let you know. I don't follow 5A that closely so I don't keep a spreadsheet for 5A.

for what it's worth, I think UD beats Haven.
Also, Central League may split into big boys and little boys next yr or after

Delco: Springfield is only 30 points behind Unionville for the top seed. If both teams win out, Springfield would pick up significant bonus points in beating what might turn out to be an 8 win 6A Haverford and 9 win 6A GValley. Unionville would only get significant bonus points in beating what might turn out to be an 8 or 9 win DTEast. However, my gut tells me that Uniionville loses to DTEast and Springfield could lose to ether GVally or Haverford, in which case they both could finish 9-1 but I think Springfield would jump Unionville. But if they both end up 9-1, you have an undefeated Upper Moreland squad currently sitting at #3 that could run the table and finish 9-0 with big wins left with Quakertown and Upper Dublin and jump both Unionville and Springfield./

Foot: Isnt the league already split into big boys/little boys? The five 6A teams are already in one division. Out of the remaining 7 non 6A schools, they took the team with the best record the prior 2 years ( Springfield) and bumped them up to the big boy division, sort of like English soccer. Based upon Springfield's record last year and this year, its not likely they would be bad enough to bump back down to the little boy division, nor am I sure they would want to?

Now, if you mean there wont be any cross over games, Iv e heard rumors to that before that the Radnors. LM's etc want no part of playing the big boys. That would leave only 5 mandated league games and each team would have to play 4-5 non league games. And that could be a scheduling nightmare.

DelcoFB1 - If Upper Darby wins out to finish 8-2, I have them as the 13 seed (if Middletown is 5A or 6A) or the 14 seed (if Middletown is 4A).

Foot: Isnt the league already split into big boys/little boys? The five 6A teams are already in one division. Out of the remaining 7 non 6A schools, they took the team with the best record the prior 2 years ( Springfield) and bumped them up to the big boy division, sort of like English soccer. Based upon Springfield's record last year and this year, its not likely they would be bad enough to bump back down to the little boy division, nor am I sure they would want to?

Now, if you mean there wont be any cross over games, Iv e heard rumors to that before that the Radnors. LM's etc want no part of playing the big boys. That would leave only 5 mandated league games and each team would have to play 4-5 non league games. And that could be a scheduling nightmare.
Speed: I thought havenfootball.net posted an article on it from Matt Smith.

I went back and checked the site. I think they posted the article as a filler as the season was about to start. My bad, good catch Speed.

Last edited:
DelcoFB1 - If Upper Darby wins out to finish 8-2, I have them as the 13 seed (if Middletown is 5A or 6A) or the 14 seed (if Middletown is 4A).

Middletown is the favorite to win the Division 1 State Championship in DE. I know DE, blah, blah, blah, but they have the potential to really put it to Upper Darby for sure.

Cheers,

Busch

Middletown is the favorite to win the Division 1 State Championship in DE. I know DE, blah, blah, blah, but they have the potential to really put it to Upper Darby for sure.

Cheers,

Busch

I'm always rooting for a PA team. Has anyone see UD play? Do they stream their games?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT