ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Schmidt, Mike Carey, Drew Gordon

I thought the question was going to be different than that.

Let's hijack this thread while it's slow. If you had one of these three guys to choose to coach your team this fall who would it be and why?

I thought the question was going to be different than that.

Let's hijack this thread while it's slow. If you had one of these three guys to choose to coach your team this fall who would it be and why?

None of them. Time has past them all by. Even though Gordon seemed ahead of his time, the offense was a his son's doing!!

Paul, I hope you are kidding. The game has not passed them by. They are all great coaches and there are many teams in this area that could use their service.

I'd take Carey; his numbers speak for themselves!

As much as I want to disagree, I have to take Carey also. He has spanned totally different era's and the way he teaches the game still led to state championships. But make no mistake, the way Gil Brooks is looked back upon as the godfather of the current PIAA setup, you will look back at Gordon as the godfather of the artificial turf hs offense era.

Paul, I hope you are kidding. The game has not passed them by. They are all great coaches and there are many teams in this area that could use their service.

I'd take Carey; his numbers speak for themselves!

When Gordon went to McDevitt everyone said he'll make them a playoff team!! Left after a year. Went to Lansdale Catholic and left. Schmidt had a title handed to him and he gave it away. He is a dinosaur trying to find a place to end it. Plus he has anger issues. Not very PC in todays environment. I guess that leaves Carey. Put a gun to my head, I'll take Carey.

Last edited:
Gordon was at McDevitt and LC for such short period of times. It is extremely difficult to turn a program around in that timeframe.

Schmidt had Tep's OL playing very well the past few years. Sure, he came up short vs. ECP in the state title. But to say he is ineffective in today's game is simply untrue.

Carey's fingerprints are all over Wood's program. Let's look at the numbers. He has won 7 state titles (97, 98, 99, 03, 11, 13, 14) in the last 10 years he has been on the sidelines (lost state title in 00, lost eastern final in 10, lost state title in 12). What leads you to believe the game has passed him by?

Gordon was at McDevitt and LC for such short period of times. It is extremely difficult to turn a program around in that timeframe.

Schmidt had Tep's OL playing very well the past few years. Sure, he came up short vs. ECP in the state title. But to say he is ineffective in today's game is simply untrue.

Carey's fingerprints are all over Wood's program. Let's look at the numbers. He has won 7 state titles (97, 98, 99, 03, 11, 13, 14) in the last 10 years he has been on the sidelines (lost state title in 00, lost eastern final in 10, lost state title in 12). What leads you to believe the game has passed him by?

Gordon realized he couldn't do what he did at La Salle at McDevitt and LC and got out. Schmidt blew it with Tep and no conversation will change that. Plus his last years at Neshaminy were centuries away from his title year. And all those titles you handed to Carey?? You might want to check with the Pettine and Devlin families about them!!! Never won a thing on his own!!

Lol everyone is entitled to their opinions; I will just respectfully disagree. As parents and fans, I think we often lose sight of exceptional coaches that may not always win league/district/state titles.

Ask Pettine and Devlin about Carey's impact. Pettine often described he and Carey's dynamic as a "partnership," especially throughout the 90s when Mike was named DC. I think Devlin would have a similar sentiment, although I can't say for certain.

Reactions: lilromeo
Lol everyone is entitled to their opinions; I will just respectfully disagree. As parents and fans, I think we often lose sight of exceptional coaches that may not always win league/district/state titles.

Ask Pettine and Devlin about Carey's impact. Pettine often described he and Carey's dynamic as a "partnership," especially throughout the 90s when Mike was named DC. I think Devlin would have a similar sentiment, although I can't say for certain.

I agree HSF, about losing sight of a good coach. But as the question asked, who would you want to have as a head coach? Gordon's no dummy. I guarantee you he realized his situation at La Salle was pretty good as far as getting talent to compete. I think that was the main reason he got out. Couldn't do the same at McDevitt and LC. Schmidt was in charge of a big program for how long? Neshaminy should have represented much more in recent past, and recent past is Schmidt. And Carey has been a head coach for a very short period of time, so there is nothing to go on other than he is a vey good assistant. I want the guy who got Carey to be his assistant to be my head coach! And we are talking about league, district and state titles.

Last edited:
I'm a homer, for sure, but Schmidt is no slouch, never has been and is one of the "greats" as far as I'm concerned (I have him up there with that thin crew of guys at the top) -- and he is not behind the times (period).

During his time in Langhorne (1995 to 2013) he was 161-66 (71% overall winning) while from 2000 to 2013 he was 145-41 which is 79% to the good side. And as it was, when he took over in 1995 the 'Skins had reached a nadir if you look at the 1950 to 2016 seasons as the early '90s was very rocky including the 10-21 record in 1992, 1993 and 1994 yet he had them playing .500 ball over the remainder of that decade with his work really paying dividends starting in 2000.

He had Neshaminy in Hershey twice going 1-1 (2001 over Woodland Hills while nobody was beating PCC in 2004). And then in 2005 it took Steve Devlin's all time performance to take them out 45-38 in one of the greatest high school performances by a high school kid I have ever seen.

In 2013 were it not for a fumble in the Eastern Championship game they might have been going back for a third time (and I think the 'Skins played St. Joe's a lot tougher in that 2013 game than PCC did against them in the state final that year).

And he was 8-7 against North Penn from 2000 to 2013 (they met more than once in a few seasons).

He was also out there in Chocolate Town with La Salle (asst.) and then Imhotep a few times too. And granted ECP took that one in 2016 but the Ramblers were a bit overlooked all year (they had talent). And I can tell you this, if you don't think that game has haunted him since - and will haunt him - you are wrong as he's a fierce competitor (and I hope I'm not giving anything away but he did have a conversation with me after that game and he acknowledged what was coming their way in 2016 - the ECP team -- talent wise and his plan -- and another thing, he takes responsibility for the end result on the field).

He's also coached in every high school all-star game as far as I know (US Army, Big 33, Northeast US All Star, Bucks County, etc.) as he loves the game. And the kids in Langhorne loved him and ran through walls for him (and he did everything possible to get them to the college ranks and at the right level for the particular kid). He loves the game and the kids. In fact, I caught up with him a month or so ago and he was spending the day working with a local kid going to a serious D1 program (he was out on the field working with him -- not one of his players, he was just helping).

The community really loves (loved) him at Neshaminy and even though the "retirement" after 2013 might not have been as pleasant as you would have expected (it wasn't like Schiffert at Easton got a nice sendoff so it is not uncommon) following the 2014 season, which didn't go so well for the 'Skins, he was still willing to come back until everything calmed down there and so the transition to Coach Wilmot could be completed smoothly (Coach Wilmot had some unrelated reasons for holding off that year - in 2015 - but he did step up at the end of the day his 20-5 record in his first two seasons shows he's got the kids and the program in the right direction -- and also that his 20 years under Schmidt saw him learn plenty).

So if the point here is should/would/could Schmidt, Gordon and Carey be somewhere in SEPA coaching - hell yeah that should all be doing that.

And Coach Schmidt is not done yet and wherever he goes I'll be a fan of his team and school (and he corrected me more than once that it is not pronounced "Im-Hop-Tep" but rather "Im-Hope-Tep") so I decided I'd just say "go Panthers" and leave it at that).

There's my two cents. And with all of that said, I have to end my post as I usually do:

Go 'Skins!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Franklinfield2
Gordon left LaSalle because at that time they decided to focus more on academics as oppossed to athletics. Not saying that athletics was not important to the program. Dial back 5 years ago and he was ready to have Swift delivered to him on a silver platter but the school's sudden stance on a more focused academic approach (as well as Swift eventually going to SJP) left a very sour taste in Gordon's mouth. For those who didn't like the way he coached I thought he was one head coach who delegated his authority better than most

Carey has always developed an outstanding offensive line no matter where he has gone. His outside interests (his restaurants, and kids especially) and health (back issues) took him away from coaching but in my view it'll be a matter of time before he returns. If I were a head coach I'd take him in a milisecond. He actually ran the OLine, defense and was instrumental in the weight program at Wood during their 2011 season.

Schmidt is one of the most misunderstood coaches I have ever been around. He was chastised for the way he treated some of his players at Heartbreak Ridge but can anyone on this board tell me that his style with the kids was any tougher than Pettine's? Bottom line: he was and always has been a tough love coach. I spoke to him about eight years ago on the sideline at the Allentown Central/McDevitt state title game and was amazed at his knowledge and energy. He was aware of plays developing before they were actually run.

All three left an indulable mark on whatever programs they coached. If I were a betting man I'd say that Carey and Schmidt will be back somewhere along the line. I'm not so sure about Gordon.

Reactions: lilromeo
Gordon left LaSalle because at that time they decided to focus more on academics as oppossed to athletics. Not saying that athletics was not important to the program. Dial back 5 years ago and he was ready to have Swift delivered to him on a silver platter but the school's sudden stance on a more focused academic approach (as well as Swift eventually going to SJP) left a very sour taste in Gordon's mouth. For those who didn't like the way he coached I thought he was one head coach who delegated his authority better than most

Carey has always developed an outstanding offensive line no matter where he has gone. His outside interests (his restaurants, and kids especially) and health (back issues) took him away from coaching but in my view it'll be a matter of time before he returns. If I were a head coach I'd take him in a milisecond. He actually ran the OLine, defense and was instrumental in the weight program at Wood during their 2011 season.

Schmidt is one of the most misunderstood coaches I have ever been around. He was chastised for the way he treated some of his players at Heartbreak Ridge but can anyone on this board tell me that his style with the kids was any tougher than Pettine's? Bottom line: he was and always has been a tough love coach. I spoke to him about eight years ago on the sideline at the Allentown Central/McDevitt state title game and was amazed at his knowledge and energy. He was aware of plays developing before they were actually run.

All three left an indulable mark on whatever programs they coached. If I were a betting man I'd say that Carey and Schmidt will be back somewhere along the line. I'm not so sure about Gordon.

Never had a problem with the way Gordon coached. He let his son run the offense and Steinmetz run the defense. I agree with everything you said about Gordon and to the reason why he left. And for that reason he will not be back!!

For the record Swift was accepted to LaSalle. He and his family felt that SJP was the best place or him.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
All three are great coaches and any HS would be very fortunate to have them. Would have been nice to see MS develop a QB over the 19 years, sure would have helped in 2013 take the load off of Denny Lord when Prep put 12 in the box :)...Look at how Beck adjusted once he had Udinski, albeit not from the farm system....I bet if MS gets back in the HC game esp after his time with BG, he will adjust to the times...But you cannot argue with his success and Mole is right, most of his players would run through a wall for him....

As for swift debate here, obviously LS wanted him, and there has been a story on the street and on here over the years that it came down to 2k and eventual that and the lack of other support in the prep/wood arms race ate a DG. I'm sure it did, but you were not going to get more support at BM or LC....

Something doesn't add up with that whole story, BG left months before DG and has since returned, DG has not, and how does LS not have 8k of financial aid, please...A couple healthy car washes can make that up or pass the hat from the coaches, maybe in the end he just wanted to go to Prep?

Both coaches and MC have been a huge positive influence for a lot of young men over the years and PA HS football is a lot better for all their dedication...

All three are great coaches and any HS would be very fortunate to have them. Would have been nice to see MS develop a QB over the 19 years, sure would have helped in 2013 take the load off of Denny Lord when Prep put 12 in the box :)...Look at how Beck adjusted once he had Udinski, albeit not from the farm system....I bet if MS gets back in the HC game esp after his time with BG, he will adjust to the times...But you cannot argue with his success and Mole is right, most of his players would run through a wall for him....

As for swift debate here, obviously LS wanted him, and there has been a story on the street and on here over the years that it came down to 2k and eventual that and the lack of other support in the prep/wood arms race ate a DG. I'm sure it did, but you were not going to get more support at BM or LC....

Something doesn't add up with that whole story, BG left months before DG and has since returned, DG has not, and how does LS not have 8k of financial aid, please...A couple healthy car washes can make that up or pass the hat from the coaches, maybe in the end he just wanted to go to Prep?

Both coaches and MC have been a huge positive influence for a lot of young men over the years and PA HS football is a lot better for all their dedication...

LaSalle people have a hard time accepting the fact that he CHOSE to go elsewhere.

Trust me they didn't want him thats a fact...
Ha ... here we go ... he was accepted and frankly, every coach wanted him. A family friend suggested that they look at SJP. I know first hand when he came to SJP, Infante was relatively new and said academics were a factor that isn't ignored. Mom appreciated the frankness and that players are subject to same work load. The only other conversation with another PCL coach that they had, the talk was all about wins and losses. Fact.

Reactions: CYOBALL1

Are you insane making that comment?? Drew was practically tanning his tonsils to have Swift in the backfield. That was the beginning of the domino effect that led to his departure, that's a fact. The Prep anteed up when Infante desired to build a great football program, LS was unable to match. To think otherwise, dial this number for verification and help.. 215-831-2600.

Rarely Roxy and I agree on much, so this must be a further sign the Apocalypse is upon us..

Let's clarify. Are you saying he wasn't accepted to LS? Or are you saying that the football powers-that-be didn't want him? Whichever you choose, I heard first hand from an LS employee who was involved with the football program at that time that they most definitely wanted Swift to be an Explorer, and that he had been accepted there. The LS employee is a relative of mine and had no reason to give me false info.

Let's clarify. Are you saying he wasn't accepted to LS? Or are you saying that the football powers-that-be didn't want him? Whichever you choose, I heard first hand from an LS employee who was involved with the football program at that time that they most definitely wanted Swift to be an Explorer, and that he had been accepted there. The LS employee is a relative of mine and had no reason to give me false info.

If LaSalle "didn't want Swift" Gordon most likely resigned because he went blind.
Come on!

Are you insane making that comment?? Drew was practically tanning his tonsils to have Swift in the backfield. That was the beginning of the domino effect that led to his departure, that's a fact. The Prep anteed up when Infante desired to build a great football program, LS was unable to match. To think otherwise, dial this number for verification and help.. 215-831-2600.

Rarely Roxy and I agree on much, so this must be a further sign the Apocalypse is upon us..
You are correct. I know this from my brother ,who was Drews HS QB coach at McDevitt spoke with Drew directly on this . BTW, I spoke with one of Mike Careys daughters last night at the Candlewick tavern and she told me Mike still wants to get back into coaching at some point , but this year he will only be assisting Wood behind the scenes and not on the official staff.

Would have been nice to see MS develop a QB over the 19 years, sure would have helped in 2013 take the load off of Denny Lord when Prep put 12 in the box :)..

The QB position was the major dent in the Skins armor throughout MS's tenure. With a school that size, there has to have been at least a few great QB prospects walking the halls during those years. Right? Is it a detriment to have the QB come to the sideline every play? Something was wrong and I think it it has to fall on the shoulders of the HC.

That being said, how impressive was that 2013 OL to be able to run the ball right down the throats of the eventual PIAA AAAA Champions without a QB in the backfield? The HC has to get some credit for that as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT