ADVERTISEMENT

Malvern Job

It will be interesting to see who they go with. Anyone know of anyone who applied for the job? I hear one of Roman's longest tenured assistant coaches, Jim Smith, applied.

Reactions: TDjones22
Heard from a reliable source that Wood the HC from Ridley applied for the job because he wants to run a college program at the high school level and he feels that can not be done at Ridley

Just got confirmation it is 100% true Wood applied for malvern job I got the info from 3 Ridley sources and it makes sense now that he brought Ray Gionta back on staff to add stability if he leaves for malvern because we all know Scott green is not HC material

It will be interesting to see who they go with. Anyone know of anyone who applied for the job? I hear one of Roman's longest tenured assistant coaches, Jim Smith, applied.

Who is Jim Smith? Was he the DC or OC even? I did hear from a Neshaminy guy early in the season that Pennridge's DC was on Roman's staff helping out and they were concerned about not knowing how Roman would gameplan for them week 1 with only one scrimmage. That isn't Jim Smith though.

As a high school coach who has college aspirations though it would make a lot more sense for a guy like Wood to Malvern and try and turn them into a national program. That can't be done at Ridley.

Also Gionta as the possible replacement wouldn't make me too happy as a Ridley guy. He wasn't too successful at last few places he's been. Marple got better after he left.

Who is Jim Smith? Was he the DC or OC even? I did hear from a Neshaminy guy early in the season that Pennridge's DC was on Roman's staff helping out and they were concerned about not knowing how Roman would gameplan for them week 1 with only one scrimmage. That isn't Jim Smith though.

As a high school coach who has college aspirations though it would make a lot more sense for a guy like Wood to Malvern and try and turn them into a national program. That can't be done at Ridley.

Also Gionta as the possible replacement wouldn't make me too happy as a Ridley guy. He wasn't too successful at last few places he's been. Marple got better after he left.
The Jimmy Smith reference was a joke!

Reactions: CYOBALL1
Everyone who has been on this board for a while knows two things. 1) Commish has an Axe to grind against Wood. 2) Commish has been continually wrong with his so called facts regarding both Wood and the Ridley Program.

Wood is not looking to go anywhere and has not applied for the position. He is very happy at Ridley and the school and community are happy with him. Gionta was brought in solely to coach the OL. Ridley had an opening and he was already stepping down.

Wood was in on the first round. He interviewed and was very impressive the last time around. He may have pulled out though when he found out it wasn't a full time gig anymore.

Commish do your work for CNN with all your phony sources. Let me guess you were for Hillary too because you go after Wood, Green and the Ridley program every chance you get like CNN goes after Trump. Seriously you are getting more ridiculous with your comments each and every time you post. You have become a Joke. Wood has NOT applied, That Is A Fact!!! Gionta was stepping down before Ridley OL job opened up. Green coached under him at Marple in his earlier days and they have remained good friends ever since. Have you ever met these guys. They are some of the best football minds out there. They have won at every stop they have been at. The best part is they teach kids how hard work, character and team work translates from the football field to life. They care about the kids today and for their futures tomorrow. Your Facts and sources are not reality. Here is a guess for you on my part, You probably Played in the Central League in the early days 70's and 80's when Ridley plastered every team in front of them like a tornado bearing down on a small town. Fact is you are a Ridley hater and should find another hobby instead of posting on this forum. Fact!!

IAdelco-
Wood did not apply for the Malvern job. He was contacted and asked if he was interested which he was not. Never applied. Never interviewed. He has told everyone that will listen that he is very happy to be part of the Raider Program.

Wood was in on the first round. He interviewed and was very impressive the last time around. He may have pulled out though when he found out it wasn't a full time gig anymore.

Are you saying he interviewed recently or do you mean he did a few years ago?

Played Ridley right in the early 80's. Holy cow were they tough kids. The passing game was far ahead of their time. Kicked our butts. I know it is a Malvern thread, but great memory.

So let's get this right.

From the Ridley Faithful: Wood did not apply, he's happy at Ridley, Commish is a whistle blower.

From the Commish: He did apply, claims he has sources.

IAdelco: Wood did apply, pulled out since its not a full-time job.

Sounds like 2016/17 U.S. Politics

I can tell you what I heard, which will either add or subtract to this thread.

Wood did NOT apply, and was not part of the phone interviews. Also, as this position was soon moved to a full time job after the posting, it doesn't make sense that the rumor is he pulled out because not job was offered. By the time the phone interviews took place (first week of Jan) it had long been established that there was a full time position in the school with the coaching job.

Nothing against Ray or Scott, but Scott Green has won everywhere he has gone? Kennett people would probably beg to differ, which I believe, was his only head coaching job. Don't give me Garnet and Ridley because my dog could coach there and win. That aside, I think Ray Gionta is good at taking underachieving programs and making them above average, not great. Did he ever make the playoffs at Marple, because I don't think its a coincidence that after he left they have been district 1 contenders 2 out of the first 3 years.

I am not sure why there is such venom for Wood with some of the Morton Avenue faithful. It is because he went with an Option offense in a team that traditionally throws? From what I hear he does come off a little arrogant, but I figured Ridley folks would like that.

It couldn't haven't been any worse than what he inherited from his predecessor, who at the end was showing up once or twice a week, and late at that.

And what has Gionta ever won either? Solid guy, but he seems to bounce from job to job and he will most likely not be at Ridley long.

I have no beef per se with Wood, I hade more of a beef with the process of how he was hired. I also do not see Wood as a long term solution either. I see him as a 3-4 year guy at best. And I don't care if he runs the single wing-if he wins the Central League and is competing for district titles.

Speed, but you are one of the more level headed Ridley posters. Would you agree that most Ridley alum would rather not run this offense, since there is a such a tradition of great QB play?

Again, I understand about the process as well and agree as I said before, it was pre-determined even before a single interview happened since the AD and coach are tight. But, the Wood hate from a lot of folks out there I don't get. I am not a huge fan (especially with some of the pre-game and post game issues I heard went down there with not shaking hands, etc), but I think winning a share of the league his first year is a bright spot. I had someone say to me the other day "it didn't matter that they won the league, he was the first coach to lose to Springfield in 20 years and the first to not have a 1000 yard passer in God knows when". I am paraphrasing but that was the main point of the interaction.

To: Know the facts before reporting, I actually really enjoy Ridley football and all of the teams and coaches in the past they have been nothing but class. I don't really care that guys on Woods staff and some of his buddies posted he did not apply. I know he applied and interviewed already. Let's ask the question how do you know he didn't apply or interview, is it because your boss told you or wood said he didn't Or do you have facts. By the way your screen name is terrible and so much action and hatred for a job the guy didn't even apply for hmm makes you think

I believe Ellis from Great Valley applied not sure if he interviewed. hypothetically speaking, if he were to get this job, it would be the 3rd time he has left a school after 3 years, Springfield Delco, WC East and he been at Gv for 3 years now. Might be buying his time and waiting for Matta or Milano to step down so he can Coach one of the Downingtowns

Ellis did not apply or interview. Wood maybe he was contacted and He Was on the list. Like I said, he may have pulled out. Last I heard, it Was Not a full time position. Apparently Brady ruined it for everybody!

Reactions: CYOBALL1
It's hard to tell who actually knows something. You see these comments that put him in the mix then guys are saying no way that would never happen. Although some may dislike his approach, I think the commish knows some things.

Whiz-
Commish knows nothing. His opinionated approach is not the issue. It's his complete disregard for anything factual. If I recall since the hirer he has stated: Wood would be the worst coach in the CL. Wood would not win a game. And my favorite; Wood's hirer marked the end of the Ridley football program. Then as the Raiders won his complete silence until a loss reinforced his inability to be anything other than one sided on topics concerning Wood or the Ridley Football Program.

Ellis did not apply or interview. Wood maybe he was contacted and He Was on the list. Like I said, he may have pulled out. Last I heard, it Was Not a full time position. Apparently Brady ruined it for everybody!
Can you provide some list of who has applied, interested to see?

60 coaches applied, roughly 16 coaches had phone interviews and the next round has 6-8 coaches coming in for face to face interviews. Final round will be 2-3 coaches meeting with heads of school. Some high school some fringe college guys left. Good luck to all.

Green Mystique, some things I said were wrong in the summer but Wood is a total jerk he cuts plays out of game film before he sends it to out to whoever they play and that is a fact and he doesn't always shake hands with staff after game. That is a typical sign of a loser also you guys split the league title with two other teams hardly an accomplishment and as you guys lose 30 plus seniors and return about two starters let's see what happens, if he is not at malvern next year. Character says a lot about people in the league and there is zero over there

Commish- Just about everything if not everything you have sited as fact is wrong. Including your most recent attempt to diminish and downplay a successful season. And if I recall, you said that Ridley would not win because the program was already in shambles, and Wood was such a horrible coach. Now you site the loss of 30 seniors as the new reason for their down fall. Obviously the loss of many starters and some good players may cause the program to take a step back. However, at the risk of another inaccurate report on your end, they return 5 starters on D and 2 on O. Character does say a lot about people and your inaccurate statements, personal attacks, and supreme bias certainly speaks to yours.

And what has Gionta ever won either? Solid guy, but he seems to bounce from job to job and he will most likely not be at Ridley long.

I have no beef per se with Wood, I hade more of a beef with the process of how he was hired. I also do not see Wood as a long term solution either. I see him as a 3-4 year guy at best. And I don't care if he runs the single wing-if he wins the Central League and is competing for district titles.

Speed, be careful of your judgement of the guy. I believe that Gionta was the Head coach at St. James when they beat Ridley in 1991 and 1992 when Ridley was on their A game. And I think Green was the QB for St. James in '91.

Sam - I said he's a solid guy., just not sure he won anything. While he may have beat ridley in consecutive years 25 years ago , nether the 91 or 92 st James teams won a championship. The 91 team was real good. I think they lost to Ryan in the finals that year.

Guys,
Love all the Ridley chatter. However, I thought this was a thread about the Malvern job not a discussion about a program and a coaching staff that may or may not sneak into the District 1 playoffs this year only to be manhandled again by a North Penn, Coatesville , Spring-Ford or even league foe Garnet Valley.

Well I hate to say it but I was right. So I got first hand info from the malvern faithful that Wood emailed his resume to malvern AD for the job but the interview committee and the president said, " He is an A**hole so we will not even entertain him applying" and that is a fact, unless the uppers in malvern are not being honest and that could be the case but I highly doubt it. So if you think Wood is faithful to Ridley he is not, he will probably apply for every job that seems more attractive and Ridley as a program does not deserve that but hey we are talking about a guy who cuts plays out of his game tapes and sends them to his opponent for game week. Let's not look to far Ray Giunta did the same thing as soon as he got to sun valley he was looking to leave, every HC opening in Delco he applied for he was in the running for the Ridley job as well as O'Hara so I guess great minds think a like. I was kidding about that last line, #NoCommitment

It's absolutely official. What little respect I had for Commish is completely gone. U make up so much sh*t on Wood and Ridley. Man up say your a hater and move on already. This crap of your BS sources has to stop!!! U have completely turned me off of this forum and what it is all about.

Well I hate to say it but I was right. So I got first hand info from the malvern faithful that Wood emailed his resume to malvern AD for the job but the interview committee and the president said, " He is an A**hole so we will not even entertain him applying" and that is a fact, unless the uppers in malvern are not being honest and that could be the case but I highly doubt it. So if you think Wood is faithful to Ridley he is not, he will probably apply for every job that seems more attractive and Ridley as a program does not deserve that but hey we are talking about a guy who cuts plays out of his game tapes and sends them to his opponent for game week. Let's not look to far Ray Giunta did the same thing as soon as he got to sun valley he was looking to leave, every HC opening in Delco he applied for he was in the running for the Ridley job as well as O'Hara so I guess great minds think a like. I was kidding about that last line, #NoCommitment

yawnnnnnn

I know this may get some backlash and I'm OK with it because it's from a solid source, but Wood did submit his name for the Malvern job. His name was brought up to some Malvern people and it was not taken too kindly.

Final comment on the subject: Wood never submitted his name or showed any interest in the job this time. He did apply the last time and was a finalist. He was contacted through alumni channels to see if there was any interest this time around and immediately declined.

I am not sure if it will result in players looking to leave Malvern but it is having an effect on their current recruiting class.

You guys are such a bore, rather talk about who will be the head coach at a random high school than National Signing Day. Ed O'brien was smart when he left this site.

Last edited:
You guys are such a bore, rather talk about who will be the head coach at a random high school than National Signing Day. Ed O'brien was smart when he left this site.

Then start a thread on NSD. You give Ed way too much credit. This site was declining when he took over and he did nothing to turn things around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT