ADVERTISEMENT

Liacouris: 5A Hoops semiifinal

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
Just back from the 5A games where Bishop Shanahan beat Chester 61-47 and Penncrest held off Wissahickon 45-40.

Charter schools must be affecting Chester as that is not the team I saw a few years ago, not to take anything from BS. Game was actually back and forth-close til a late 4th qtr run. Eagles have two big dudes and a small guard (#22) who can get it up court, penetrate and score as well as shoot from beyond. Solid team. Did not see Chester’s famed press til too late in game while Shanahan had no trouble breaking limited pressure and running with them.

Penncrest came out like they were going to blow Wiss away who seemed to foul every other possession putting Lions in bonus, they couldn’t take advantage of, missing front ends. Lions started pulling away late 3rd early 4th getting inside. But Wiss kept at them, made a few threes in between at least 3 straight air ball in 4th of a sloppy game where Penncrest went ice cold a few times. 43-40 possession Wiss with a few seconds to go, missed a 3, out on Penncrest then poorly managed final few seconds not getting shot off, losing it out of bounds with 2 seconds to go and Penncrest’s ball. Not the best write up but always a treat getting to the Liacouris Center.

Just back from the 5A games where Bishop Shanahan beat Chester 61-47 and Penncrest held off Wissahickon 45-40.

Charter schools must be affecting Chester as that is not the team I saw a few years ago, not to take anything from BS. Game was actually back and forth-close til a late 4th qtr run. Eagles have two big dudes and a small guard (#22) who can get it up court, penetrate and score as well as shoot from beyond. Solid team. Did not see Chester’s famed press til too late in game while Shanahan had no trouble breaking limited pressure and running with them.

Penncrest came out like they were going to blow Wiss away who seemed to foul every other possession putting Lions in bonus, they couldn’t take advantage of, missing front ends. Lions started pulling away late 3rd early 4th getting inside. But Wiss kept at them, made a few threes in between at least 3 straight air ball in 4th of a sloppy game where Penncrest went ice cold a few times. 43-40 possession Wiss with a few seconds to go, missed a 3, out on Penncrest then poorly managed final few seconds not getting shot off, losing it out of bounds with 2 seconds to go and Penncrest’s ball. Not the best write up but always a treat getting to the Liacouris Center.
Stalk - Chester has a new coach this season plus it may be a down talent year and no transfers in. Shanahan is very good w 4 of the 5 starters from St Joes in Downinfgtown who have played together for years. The 5th kid OMalley is from Simon and Jude and his Dad Mike was on the 85 State Championship team. My alma matter has a tough game against Penncrest as we will be looking for out 3rd district championship (85 and 95 were the other years). Penncrest played a hell of a defense to seal the win against Wissy.

Lions do play good D and if Norwood is hitting you’re in trouble. He threw up 2 airballs late and I noticed a slight limp he worked through. Another kid (#11?) has moves and a shot as well, taller than Norwood. They got sloppy towards the end but WISS didn’t get to the semi for no reason. Excepting the late run, Penncrest seemed the better team. WISS missed too many open shots. The final will be a good one and I give Shanahan every chance (-1.5….Ha) as Norwood is mortal in my view. Two well coached teams and I imaginve it goes down to the wire. By the way, both student sections were really into it, extreme decibels. Importantly, Liacouris has great fries.

Solid assessment as usual, Stalker. Rappaport from Wiss is their sniper and he had an off night, no doubt in part because of the Lion D. Great atmosphere, and I concur on the fries. And how about the amazing job by the young lady singing the national anthem?!

Solid assessment as usual, Stalker. Rappaport from Wiss is their sniper and he had an off night, no doubt in part because of the Lion D. Great atmosphere, and I concur on the fries. And how about the amazing job by the young lady singing the national anthem?!

Monster Man. How could I forget that slender young lady who belted out the National Anthem like I haven’t heard it sung in some time. Wow! She was special.

About Wiss, they had some shooters but some nights they just don’t fall. Coach called time back in the day against Chambersburg when my first shot clanked off the side of the rim (never a good omen) with the second sailing over the backboard. Kiser Crittenden was 6-7, 6-8 and it took a while to figure him out. Ha! Wiss will be tough with Rappaport’s “off” night behind him if the ego isn’t damaged. They have some people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT