ADVERTISEMENT

Lehigh Valley Preview

RoverNation05

Aug 22, 2010
EPC South Preview

1. Freedom Patriots
Why They’re Here: The Patriots return the best player in the Lehigh Valley (two-way lineman and Virginia Tech commit Braelin Moore), the leading returning rusher (Deonte Crawford), the best receiver combo in the Valley (Owen Johnson and AJ Fletcher) and have two really good options at quarterback (Brian Taylor won the job out of camp last year, but had to sit out for an eligibility issue and Ethan Nedling took them to the D11 title game in his place). Lots of talent here, plus Jason Roeder has proved to be one of the best coaches in D11.

Why They Could Stumble: Moore and Juan Feliciano are the only returnees on the offensive line – they’ll be big, but they’ll need to block up front. The quarterback battle also could be an issue, because I am a firm believer in “if you have two, you have none”.

2. Whitehall Zephyrs
Why They’re Here: They bring back virtually their entire team from the D11 5A champs. Now, they won that title without having to play East Stroudsburg South (COVID) and dropped their only two EPC South games, but they’ve got experience and talent to spare. Quinn Wentling was an All State pick after finishing second in the conference in both passing yards and rushing yards in 2020 and accounting for 23 touchdowns in eight games. He’ll have really good skill guys in tailbacks Damonte Foreman and Nigel Linton and wideouts Tommy Buskirk and Bryce Bashore. They also bring back the entire offensive line. Defensively, they bring back nine starters, where Foreman, Linton, Wentling, and Buskirk are all conference returnees and Brayden Marrero anchors the defensive line.

Why They Could Stumble: It’s a LOT of guys going both ways. Even Wentling gets snaps at safety. And for all of their postseason success, it has been two years since they’ve beaten a fellow EPC South opponent. They’ll need to handle the 6A portion of their schedule just to qualify for playoffs, but they will be the most seasoned and ready team once they get to November.

3. Parkland Trojans
Why They’re Here: The Trojans are always a safe bet to be good, and if they’re in a talent upswing they can be great. Not quite sure how that falls – Ty Tremba will be in his third year as a starter at QB, he’s a throwback, option type but if he’s developed as a passer could really open up the offense. His brother Trey and Dahlir Adams is one of the best one-two punches at running back, and they’ll once again be huge on the offensive line. They also have the most back of defense of anybody (seven starters) to a unit that is consistently excellent.

Why They Could Stumble: Is there a gamebreaker here? Parkland hasn’t ascended to the levels of their 2012-17 run over the last few years because they haven’t had any “wow” skill guys to go with their physicality on defense and the offensive line.

4. Bethlehem Catholic Golden Hawks
Why They’re Here: Jared Richardson is back from his broken collarbone and gives the Hawks a dynamic run/pass threat under center. They also welcome back head coach Kyle Haas, who took the Hawks to a state final four in his one season as the interim head coach and had Northampton turned around and heading in the right direction. A crisper Bethlehem Catholic team has a chance to be dangerous. They also have one of the major talents in the league in offensive tackle and North Carolina commit Justin Kanyuk (6’7 315), who leads an offensive line where the smallest guy is 6’3 280. All of that leads to a top 5 team in the state in 4A.

Why They Could Stumble: Rahmel Terry is out for the season after tearing his ACL, leaving a hole for the Golden Hawks at running back. That will put even more pressure on Richardson to carry the running game, which is a tall order for a quarterback.

5. Easton Red Rovers
Why They Could Rise Up: The Red Rovers return eight starters on offense and five on defense. Marcus Williams is the headliner at running back, though they’ll try to get the ball to him on the perimeter as well and let him use his speed (he’s a two-time D11 champ in the 100 and 200). He’s also a monster in the return game, with five punt/kick return TDs in last year’s abbreviated season. Quarterback Cole Transue is in his third year as a starter, and if he can regain the trajectory he showed as a sophomore, he’s as good a QB as there is in the league. The offensive line should have some serious size, led by junior left tackle Sean Wilson (6’4 265), a likely FBS recruit. Defensively, leading tackler Mike Hynes is back at middle linebacker, while Williams, Javion Thompson, and all conference safety Kyle Evancho are all back in the secondary.

Why They Could Stumble: If Transue repeats his struggles as a junior, it takes a lot of options off of the table for this offense. When they’ve had big offensive fronts the past few years, it seems as though they’ve traded size for mobility wit middling results. They need to replace their entire defensive line, and while Wilson and Matt Cruise seem like solid options, that’ll be a lot of snaps for the big guys going both ways. They also have lacked a real identity for years.

6. Emmaus Green Hornets
Why They Could Rise Up: Docking the Hornets a little here with the news that junior QB Jake Fotta is out for the year with a torn ACL. Still, Emmaus has been trending in the right direction under former Allentown Central Catholic boss Harold Fairclough. This group will be led by senior linebacker Jared Groller, the leading tackler in the league and one of the best returning defenders period. He also may see some carries on offense as they try to replace 3,000 yard career rusher Brandon Camire. And while Josiah Williams is green, he’s a very talented back-up who could leave Emmaus just fine at quarterback.

Why They Could Stumble: They did lose their QB to a major knee injury days before their first game. They also are replacing the EPC Offensive Player of the Year in Camire, who was their major offensive weapon the last three seasons, plus their entire receiving corps and secondary. That is a lot to ask. And while they should be pretty good on the offensive and defensive lines, it’s a total rebuild of the skill guys.

7. Allentown Central Catholic Vikings
Why They Could Rise Up: The returning D11 4A champions return the third major candidate for best player in the league in defensive tackle Lavon Johnson. He’s a monster (6’4 325) who was an all state pick in 2020 as well as the EPC Defensive Player of the Year, has a bevy of scholarships offers (he’s thought to be a Michigan lean), and this year has improved his conditioning enough to the point he’s expected to play both ways. Johnson is one of six returnees on defense and if that unit can keep them in games, they can upset some of the teams ahead of them.

Why They Could Stumble: They are replacing virtually their entire offense, with just two starters back. They’ll need to replace Michael Rauscher, now at Lehigh, at quarterback and all state running back Jayden Williams, four offensive linemen, their all league tight end, and their two leading receivers. That is a lot. And while they have some young talent coming in (including 6’4 300 pound freshman tackle Braheem Battle, who should be a star down the line) it lookings like a rebuilding year on 4th Street.

8. Nazareth Blue Eagles
Why They Could Rise Up: It’s probably stupid to pick the two-time defending D11 6A champs to finish in eight, but they get absolutely crushed by graduation for the second year in a row. If they make me look dumb (not out of th question), it’s because Tom Falzone again finds a way to plug and play kids into his system and coaches them up to be better than the sum of their parts. The key on offense is Tyler Rohn, who comes back at running back and should be the focal point of the offense, the first time in years Nazareth will expect to be a run-first team. I like Sonny Sasso to win the QB battle and if he does, it gives the Blue Eagles a great athlete running the show. He’s got Division I size (6’4 210) and is one of the best wrestlers in the country (a state medalist at 170 as a sophomore before earning double All American honors in Fargo this summer at 195 in the Olympic styles). Fellow blue chip wrestler Sean Kinney (So. 6’3 280) will be protecting his blind side.

Why They Could Stumble: It’s an entirely new football team, which is really hard to do in high school. I have no idea who Sasso will throw the ball to, and while they return some talent at linebacker, the entire secondary will be new.

9. Liberty Hurricanes
Why They Could Rise Up: They’re building up in Bethlehem! First year head coach Shawn Daignault has assembled a really interesting coaching staff, with a mix of old, longtime respect Lehigh Valley veterans (Joe Bottiglieri, Frank Lane, Dave Brown) and some young guys with NFL experience (Levi Brown, Tevrin Brandon). (Side note: the fact that Tags and Frank Lane are both back in coaching and neither are at their alma mater -same as mine - is only mildly upsetting to me…)

Why They’re Here: The Hurricanes went 0-6 in 2020 and are 6-24 in conference play since 2017. They are going to need to pretty much bulid this from scratch.

Preseason All League Team

Offense
QB: Jared Richardson, Bethlehem Catholic (Sr. 6’3 200)
RB: Marcus Williams, Easton (Sr. 5’11 185)
RB: Deonte Crawford, Freedom (Sr. ’59 185)
WR: Eric Wert, Bethlehem Catholic (Sr. 5'10 175)
WR: Owen Johnson, Freedom (Jr. 6’2 215)
WR: Trey Tremba, Parkland (So. 5’10 170)
OL: Justin Kanyuk, Bethlehem Catholic (Sr. 6’7 315; North Carolina)
OL: Sean Kinney, Nazareth (So. 6’3 280)
OL: Sean Wilson, Easton (Jr. 6’4 260)
OL: Dylan McHugh, Emmaus (Sr. 6’3 275)
OL: Marko Galetovic, Parkland (Sr. 6’3 270)

Defense
DL: Braelin Moore, Freedom (Sr. 6’3 305; Virginia Tech)
DL: Lavon Johnson, Allentown Central Catholic (Sr. 6’4 325)
DL: Brock Boyer, Parkland (Sr. 6’3 245)
DL: Stephen Hattala (Sr. 6’3 235)
LB: Jared Groller, Emmaus (Sr. 6’1 210)
LB: Mike Hynes, Easton (Sr. 5’11 205)
LB: Demonte Foreman, Whitehall (Sr. 5’11 180)
LB: Broc Bender, Nazareth (Sr. 6’3 195)
DB: Kyle Evancho, Easton (Sr. 6’3 175)
DB: AJ Fletcher, Freedom (Jr. 5’10 175)
DB: Tommy Buskirk, Whitehall (Sr. 6’2 175)
DB: Quinn Wentling, Whitehall (Sr. 5’10 200)

Small School Top 5

1. North Schuylkill Spartans
Why They’re Here: The Spartans enter the year ranked #1 in the 3A classification and the most credible threat to win a state title from District 11. All State quarterback Jake Hull is back after throwing for 1,700 yards and 25 TDs as a junior. Brothers Jaxson and Josh Chowansky are also back, with Josh also coming off of an All State 2020 where he rushed for 1,260 yards, punctuated by a 266 yard, 4 touchdown performance against Notre Dame in the D11 title game. They also return three starters on the offensive line, led by Dalton Zelwalk. Defensively, sophomore Jaxson Chowansky and junior Steven Davis lead a group of nine starters returning. Chowanasky made 86 tackles as a freshman last year at outside linebacker, and Davis is getting FBS looks as a big, athletic defensive tackle.

Why They Could Stumble: The Spartans play a tough schedule, with both means they’ll be battle tested, but worn down from playing one of the best 3A slates in the state.

2. Notre Dame (GP) Crusaders
Why They’re Here: Notre Dame is 45-13 since 2016 and have established themselves as one of the premier programs in the Colonial League, particularly offensively. They enter 2021 ranked #4 in the state, in no small part thanks to the return of quarterback Colin Quintano. Quinatno, in his third year as a starter, was an All State pick in 2020, and held football offers from Yale, Harvard, Lehigh, and Fordham before committing to Villanova to play baseball. He has a big arm, great feet, and makes good decisions in Phil Stambaugh’s RPO heavy offense. He’ll throw to a deep receiving corps, led by Nadir Sanders, whose older brother was an All State pick for the Crusaders. They’ll go six deep at wideout. They’re also moving center Logan Castellano to running back, to add a power element to the finesse offense they run with the 6’2 225 pounder carrying the football.

Why They Could Stumble: It’s a rebuild on the offensive line, with three multi-year starters moving graduating. The transfer of junior Aidan Compton (a Fargo All American at heavyweight who is joining ND’s national caliber wrestling program) from Pen Argyl will help ease the transition if he is deemed eligible for the postseason, and Josh Hoffert is a three year starter who gives them some stability. Defensively, ND needs to find a way to stop the North Schuylkill running game, which overwhelmed them in the D11 final last year. That tape is sure to be circulating around Colonial League foes.

3. Pottsville Crimson Tide
Why They’re Here: The Crimson Tide have proven to be the biggest challenge to Bethlehem Catholic/Allentown Central Catholic in 4A. They bring back track star and running back Travontai Davis and dual threat quarterback Jazce Carabell-Snowell and find themselves ranked #9 in 4A this preseason.

Why They Could Stumble: Pottsville will be amongst the fastest teams in the classification, but they need to fill in on the offensive and defensive lines, and will need that physicality when they hit Bethlehem Catholic in the postseason.

4. Saucon Valley Panthers
Why They’re Here: Saucon Valley might be the most experienced team in the field outside of North Schuylkill. It starts with four year starter Dante Mahaffey at quarterback, a tough, physical, dual threat kid with over 2,000 passing and 1,000 rushing yards for his career. He brings back his favorite target Ty Csencsits and five other wideouts with solid varsity experience. In the backfield, Damian Garcia returns after missing 2020 with injury. He ran for 1,100 yards as a sophomore in 2019. Josh Torres got most of the carries in Garcia’s absence, and fullback Ty Pfizenmayer and budding star freshman Jared Rohn give them real depth in the backfield. They also bring back three offensive linemen and their tight end. Defensively, Pfizenmayer is an All State candidate at middle linebacker and with seven starters returning, they sould be a load on that side of the ball.

Why They Could Stumble: As with any small school, it is a lot of guys going both ways. And while they are talented, this is a classic small town team where all of their major guys are multi-sport athletes (Csencsits, Mahaffey, Pfizenmayer, and Rohn are all state medalists in wrestling) but not necessarily football first guys.

5. Northwestern Lehigh Tigers
Why They’re Here: The Tigers did not miss a beat after graduating all state quarterback Devon Bollinger (Delaware) in 2019, with Justin Holmes sliding from wide receiver to quarterback and earning All State honors himself after throwing and rushing for over 1,000 yards in a COVID abbreviated season. He’s the bets skill guy in the Lehigh Valley and also a ferocious linebacker, which is where I think he’ll play at Ken State. But he is a big enough force to dominate their Colonial League schedule. They return 12 starters around him, so they’re not lacking for experience.

Why They Could Stumble: Outside of Holmes there are not monster talents on this roster. Now it’s nice when you’re superstar is a dual threat quarterback and a linebacker who could conceivably touch the ball or make a tackle on every play, but football tends to be a game that favors team over superhuman efforts.

Hey, Rover...I'm seeing a lot of pictures of the "new" Cottingham Stadium. It looks great. What are your thoughts? Good, bad or indifferent?

Hey, Rover...I'm seeing a lot of pictures of the "new" Cottingham Stadium. It looks great. What are your thoughts? Good, bad or indifferent?
Was going to make a separate thread (still might), but thrilled with the way the project turned out.

The old concrete in the stands was condemned, so they needed to do something with the facility - this wasn't a vanity project. The biggest win was keeping the location. The other option, which had some support, was to build at the current high school out in Palmer Township rather than keep the football stadium downtown, where it has been since 1924. The school across the street is now an elementary school, but was built as the high school in the early 1900s. I thought it was very important for Easton football to stay in the city rather than move out to the suburbs. Doing so would have sent the wrong message, and getting people into that community on Fridays I think is critical.

The actual work on the stadium is awesome. It looks like the original structure - same poured concrete aesthetic, exact same footprint. There is some bitching about the switch from grass to artificial turf, which I understand from an emotional level, but for all sorts of reasons it needed to be turf. For the price of construction, it's important that more than just football plays there, and that football can practice there every day to use the facility more than 5-7 times a year. That's also in keeping historically with how Cottingham was used - it was the baseball field, soccer field, track, etc. until the current high school was built in 1967. The bells and whistles are nice too - video scoreboard, first class locker rooms, big new press box, and new bathrooms (though part of me will miss the old trough urinals).

The event last night was really nice. Had about 2,000 people out for the opening, including the band and obviously the entire football program. It also was good to see Steve Shiffert, Bob Shriver, and the Rute and Grube families there for the opening - representation from every coach dating back to the '40s. I think it was Steve's first time back in Cottingham since he was dismissed and I was glad he was a part of the celebration. Now we'll see what the actual football season holds. As you can see from my preview, not expecting a ton...

Wow, amazing facilities. Rover, what do you estimate as their attendance for a typical home game?

I have been there a couple times and, aside from finding somewhere to park, it's fantastic. I completely agree about the importance of keeping it in the same location. When you you see all the people walking the streets to the stadium it's not hard for your mind's eye to see it in black and white as you imagine this taking place the same way for decades. An experience I highly recommend.

Wow, amazing facilities. Rover, what do you estimate as their attendance for a typical home game?
They've sold about 1,300 season tickets so far according to one of the articles (maybe Corky Blake's in the Express?) which seems about on par with what they usually do. I think they average between 4,000-5,000 on a typical Friday, I think the stadium officially seats 5,500, but there's also a lot of spillover to the track, so the stands don't always look as full as the paid attendance. The biggest crowds I've seen there are somewhere in the 8,000 range when they sell SRO tickets (usually for District playoff games) and let people stand around the track even with full seats. Not sure how that will continue into the future, though it's interesting that they kept the "track" as a big walkway around the field, but obviously replaced the old ash track (talk about a relic of the past!) with a paved surface.

Back in the day I've seen listed attendances over 10,000 filling the track in addition to the stands. And I know for certain games they brought in bleachers to put in the end zones (I think that was the case for the famous '68 Pennsbury-Easton game where the listed attendance was something bonkers like 13,5000 - but swells to about 75,000 if everybody who said they were there was actually there) but they haven't done that in decades.

I have been there a couple times and, aside from finding somewhere to park, it's fantastic. I completely agree about the importance of keeping it in the same location. When you you see all the people walking the streets to the stadium it's not hard for your mind's eye to see it in black and white as you imagine this taking place the same way for decades. An experience I highly recommend.
They trick is to go to the other side of Northampton Street and park down by the Christ Lutheran Church on Ferry Street. You're only three blocks away, but people looking for parking act like south of Northampton Street is some forcefield they cannot cross. And with Uncle Wesley's closed (RIP) so you can't go get drinks there before the game, there's no reason to confine yourself to the north side of the stadium.

I would imagine if they become more competitive, attendance will only increase. It looks like they have great numbers again.

You would think. I think the biggest crowd I can remember is the 2009 D11 title game against the Andre Williams Parkland team two days after Thanksgiving (which helps because so many people are back in town). But those kind of games get buzz in a way that they don't at other schools in the Valley (big games at Parkland, for instance, are the worst in that big old erector set behind their middle school).

Numbers do seem good - I don't see that being a problem for the foreseeable future. For all of the consternation about the team not being good, playing football is still the thing kids want to do as athletes coming up in town. It's such an ingrained part of the community that they're not going to lack for bodies. Now, will some of the highest talent bodies transfer out as has happened over the past decade or so, sure. But raw numbers, they're in good shape.

The Express-Times dropped their predictions for the EPC South this morning. They have it as:
1. Freedom
2. Parkland
3. Easton
4. Bethlehem Catholic
5. Allentown Central Catholic
6. Whitehall
7. Nazareth
8. Emmaus
9. Liberty

Our biggest difference is Whitehall, who I think is going to be really good and they are more skeptical (but for those of you who have been reading me for the decade or so I've been posting here, I'm always high on Whitehall for some reason). I also am endlessly fascinated in the Emmaus thing, who Pennlive has as the fifth best team in the state and the local paper has as the eight best team in their own division (and I don't think that's just a product of Jake Fotta). The lesson is probably that nobody knows anything.

You would think. I think the biggest crowd I can remember is the 2009 D11 title game against the Andre Williams Parkland team two days after Thanksgiving (which helps because so many people are back in town). But those kind of games get buzz in a way that they don't at other schools in the Valley (big games at Parkland, for instance, are the worst in that big old erector set behind their middle school).

Numbers do seem good - I don't see that being a problem for the foreseeable future. For all of the consternation about the team not being good, playing football is still the thing kids want to do as athletes coming up in town. It's such an ingrained part of the community that they're not going to lack for bodies. Now, will some of the highest talent bodies transfer out as has happened over the past decade or so, sure. But raw numbers, they're in good shape.

The Express-Times dropped their predictions for the EPC South this morning. They have it as:
1. Freedom
2. Parkland
3. Easton
4. Bethlehem Catholic
5. Allentown Central Catholic
6. Whitehall
7. Nazareth
8. Emmaus
9. Liberty

Our biggest difference is Whitehall, who I think is going to be really good and they are more skeptical (but for those of you who have been reading me for the decade or so I've been posting here, I'm always high on Whitehall for some reason). I also am endlessly fascinated in the Emmaus thing, who Pennlive has as the fifth best team in the state and the local paper has as the eight best team in their own division (and I don't think that's just a product of Jake Fotta). The lesson is probably that nobody knows anything.
Any word on the scrimmage against CB South? Have heard from some South dads that they handled Easton easily. Then again, a scrimmage is just a scrimmage.

Small School Top 5

1. North Schuylkill Spartans
Why They’re Here: The Spartans enter the year ranked #1 in the 3A classification and the most credible threat to win a state title from District 11. All State quarterback Jake Hull is back after throwing for 1,700 yards and 25 TDs as a junior. Brothers Jaxson and Josh Chowansky are also back, with Josh also coming off of an All State 2020 where he rushed for 1,260 yards, punctuated by a 266 yard, 4 touchdown performance against Notre Dame in the D11 title game. They also return three starters on the offensive line, led by Dalton Zelwalk. Defensively, sophomore Jaxson Chowansky and junior Steven Davis lead a group of nine starters returning. Chowanasky made 86 tackles as a freshman last year at outside linebacker, and Davis is getting FBS looks as a big, athletic defensive tackle.

Why They Could Stumble: The Spartans play a tough schedule, with both means they’ll be battle tested, but worn down from playing one of the best 3A slates in the state.

2. Notre Dame (GP) Crusaders
Why They’re Here: Notre Dame is 45-13 since 2016 and have established themselves as one of the premier programs in the Colonial League, particularly offensively. They enter 2021 ranked #4 in the state, in no small part thanks to the return of quarterback Colin Quintano. Quinatno, in his third year as a starter, was an All State pick in 2020, and held football offers from Yale, Harvard, Lehigh, and Fordham before committing to Villanova to play baseball. He has a big arm, great feet, and makes good decisions in Phil Stambaugh’s RPO heavy offense. He’ll throw to a deep receiving corps, led by Nadir Sanders, whose older brother was an All State pick for the Crusaders. They’ll go six deep at wideout. They’re also moving center Logan Castellano to running back, to add a power element to the finesse offense they run with the 6’2 225 pounder carrying the football.

Why They Could Stumble: It’s a rebuild on the offensive line, with three multi-year starters moving graduating. The transfer of junior Aidan Compton (a Fargo All American at heavyweight who is joining ND’s national caliber wrestling program) from Pen Argyl will help ease the transition if he is deemed eligible for the postseason, and Josh Hoffert is a three year starter who gives them some stability. Defensively, ND needs to find a way to stop the North Schuylkill running game, which overwhelmed them in the D11 final last year. That tape is sure to be circulating around Colonial League foes.

3. Pottsville Crimson Tide
Why They’re Here: The Crimson Tide have proven to be the biggest challenge to Bethlehem Catholic/Allentown Central Catholic in 4A. They bring back track star and running back Travontai Davis and dual threat quarterback Jazce Carabell-Snowell and find themselves ranked #9 in 4A this preseason.

Why They Could Stumble: Pottsville will be amongst the fastest teams in the classification, but they need to fill in on the offensive and defensive lines, and will need that physicality when they hit Bethlehem Catholic in the postseason.

4. Saucon Valley Panthers
Why They’re Here: Saucon Valley might be the most experienced team in the field outside of North Schuylkill. It starts with four year starter Dante Mahaffey at quarterback, a tough, physical, dual threat kid with over 2,000 passing and 1,000 rushing yards for his career. He brings back his favorite target Ty Csencsits and five other wideouts with solid varsity experience. In the backfield, Damian Garcia returns after missing 2020 with injury. He ran for 1,100 yards as a sophomore in 2019. Josh Torres got most of the carries in Garcia’s absence, and fullback Ty Pfizenmayer and budding star freshman Jared Rohn give them real depth in the backfield. They also bring back three offensive linemen and their tight end. Defensively, Pfizenmayer is an All State candidate at middle linebacker and with seven starters returning, they sould be a load on that side of the ball.

Why They Could Stumble: As with any small school, it is a lot of guys going both ways. And while they are talented, this is a classic small town team where all of their major guys are multi-sport athletes (Csencsits, Mahaffey, Pfizenmayer, and Rohn are all state medalists in wrestling) but not necessarily football first guys.

5. Northwestern Lehigh Tigers
Why They’re Here: The Tigers did not miss a beat after graduating all state quarterback Devon Bollinger (Delaware) in 2019, with Justin Holmes sliding from wide receiver to quarterback and earning All State honors himself after throwing and rushing for over 1,000 yards in a COVID abbreviated season. He’s the bets skill guy in the Lehigh Valley and also a ferocious linebacker, which is where I think he’ll play at Ken State. But he is a big enough force to dominate their Colonial League schedule. They return 12 starters around him, so they’re not lacking for experience.

Why They Could Stumble: Outside of Holmes there are not monster talents on this roster. Now it’s nice when you’re superstar is a dual threat quarterback and a linebacker who could conceivably touch the ball or make a tackle on every play, but football tends to be a game that favors team over superhuman efforts.
Good stuff Rover. Just getting to read it with maybe a thought or comment later. Headin out door now.
As an understatement, it looks real interesting and a zillion possibilities this year with the big question mark........all those new coaches. Always the wildcard!

Any word on the scrimmage against CB South? Have heard from some South dads that they handled Easton easily. Then again, a scrimmage is just a scrimmage.
I heard CB South was able to hit some big plays through the air, Easton couldn’t really get pressure up front. Easton offense was choppy, line isn’t particularly gelled. Not promising for the good guys. They’ll kill Pocono Mountain East on Friday and everybody will get excited, but Parkland next week will be a rude awakening.

I heard CB South was able to hit some big plays through the air, Easton couldn’t really get pressure up front. Easton offense was choppy, line isn’t particularly gelled. Not promising for the good guys. They’ll kill Pocono Mountain East on Friday and everybody will get excited, but Parkland next week will be a rude awakening.
Not too unexpected especially if they didn't try to bring pressure or mix up coverages because it was a scrimmage. South is always good offensively and they tend to run really good routes and keep great spacing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT