ADVERTISEMENT

Imhotep

newport

Nov 22, 2002
In terms of sheer talent, Imhotep can go toe to toe with anyone in the state/most of the region/a good chunk of the country almost every year. And almost every time I see them play, they are almost always the most undisciplined and sloppy team that I see play. The self inflicted wounds and the constant shooting themselves in the foot is almost astounding some times. And this isnt the first time I've seen this happen to them in Heshey(CV). Just goes to show you how important coaching is at this level. Doesnt seem like they have much of a gameplan offensively and havent made any noticeable adjustments on either side of the ball

This is not to take anything away from PR. They are playing great football right now. Also, there is a good amount of football left and anything can happen. But I always get so excited to see these next level kids play together and almost always come away disappointed after watching them

How did Imhotep beat McDevitt in the opener? My thinking is the result would be the total opposite today. Who knows?

How did Imhotep beat McDevitt in the opener? My thinking is the result would be the total opposite today. Who knows?
Imhotep is a good team. Just look at thier schedule and wins they have (including mcdevitt.) Pine Richland is another level. That programs been a monster the last ten years and they are doing it as a public school and with a new coach.

Mcdevitt beats everybody except SJP, i think PR gives them a very good game but i give the edge to Mcdevit

you can throw week 1 out the window, so much can change just look at Pine Richland and Southern Columbia this was supposed to be down years for both

In terms of sheer talent, Imhotep can go toe to toe with anyone in the state/most of the region/a good chunk of the country almost every year. And almost every time I see them play, they are almost always the most undisciplined and sloppy team that I see play. The self inflicted wounds and the constant shooting themselves in the foot is almost astounding some times. And this isnt the first time I've seen this happen to them in Heshey(CV). Just goes to show you how important coaching is at this level. Doesnt seem like they have much of a gameplan offensively and havent made any noticeable adjustments on either side of the ball

This is not to take anything away from PR. They are playing great football right now. Also, there is a good amount of football left and anything can happen. But I always get so excited to see these next level kids play together and almost always come away disappointed after watching them
Absolutely Newport; I turned channel to 'All my Children' or 'All of someone's children' getting so tired of watching JV ball! Pathetic. Guy offside all the time (DE/OLB #12?), others dropping touchdown tosses. That and Westinghouse's coach (for lack of a better word) going for it 4th and 8 on their own 25-yard line.

Several of Teps state title games had me scratching my head ,not only with their penalties ,but trying to throw the ball all over after having so much success running the ball during the year. RB committed to Georgia ???? Coaching could use Brett Gordan again as OC.

My two cents. Pine-Richland really passes the eye test. I think they beat McDevitt. I understand teams change during the year, but Imhotep beat McDevitt by 5 and Pine-Richland beats Imhotep by 14. They ran the ball for 250 yards. Pine-Richland's o-line is better than any McDevitt faced this year, and they also played better competition than McDevitt, according to Pittsburgh newspapers.

Reactions: Stalker
Absolutely Newport; I turned channel to 'All my Children' or 'All of someone's children' getting so tired of watching JV ball! Pathetic. Guy offside all the time (DE/OLB #12?), others dropping touchdown tosses. That and Westinghouse's coach (for lack of a better word) going for it 4th and 8 on their own 25-yard line.
And then punting on 4th and short in better field position??

My two cents. Pine-Richland really passes the eye test. I think they beat McDevitt. I understand teams change during the year, but Imhotep beat McDevitt by 5 and Pine-Richland beats Imhotep by 14. They ran the ball for 250 yards. Pine-Richland's o-line is better than any McDevitt faced this year, and they also played better competition than McDevitt, according to Pittsburgh newspapers.
Comparing Game #1 against last is complicated. Do know Imhotep didn't drop touchdown passes against McDevitt or make boneheaded mistakes (saw # 12 offsides 3 time alone) as they did against Pine. Plus McD-ICS was Game-1.

McDevitt's schedule was less than PR's but that alone doesn't measure a team. Don't forget D7 was way down in my view this year. At least, I hope that's what I saw! How McD played against quality comp counts and when they faced it they crushed it, notably Manheim Central and Aliquippa with no one expected them to crush Quips. No one.

Having said that D1 who knows. It'd be a fine game!

Agree. My last post wasn't anti McDevitt. They are very impressive. I know national rankings are very subjective, but McDevitt not mentioned in those rankings is complete nonsense.

This will probably come across wrong, but I’ll ask anyway. After last night, I’m wondering: Are there no better football options than Imhotep for some of the kids. The P5 kids it doesn’t matter, but for the rest, it would seem that improved coaching would help them raise their stock.

Reactions: lilromeo
Agree. My last post wasn't anti McDevitt. They are very impressive. I know national rankings are very subjective, but McDevitt not mentioned in those rankings is complete nonsense.
Understood D1. I don't take this stuff personally. There was a time when my school hoped McD lost all their games. Ha! Now I write about it with the guys (some McDevitt buds) giving me hell when I see them. Fortunately I have a lot of PSU-HACC classmates from Steelton who save me for not having Rollers higher. All in good fun tho I take the write ups and research seriously. Game time!

This will probably come across wrong, but I’ll ask anyway. After last night, I’m wondering: Are there no better football options than Imhotep for some of the kids. The P5 kids it doesn’t matter, but for the rest, it would seem that improved coaching would help them raise their stock.
I’ve had this exact conversation a number of times with a kid this year. He’s desperate to go to Imhotep, also has a scholarship offer from The Haverford School. But he’s been going to Imhotep camps, he feels like he knows the coaches, who have been on him since 6th grade, have people out to his games all the time, etc. It’s crazy how invested he feels in Imhotep, and it’s also crazy that he’s entertaining going there instead of Haverford.

The reality is, I don’t think he’s a generic freak who’s going to go play at Penn State or Michigan, but he’s probably a good enough football player and a big enough kid that he could be a Patriot League/Ivy League type at the end of the road (and is smart enough, with football, to make that realistic). But if that’s the case, he’s not getting recruited to those schools out of Imhotep Charter.

Comparing Game #1 against last is complicated. Do know Imhotep didn't drop touchdown passes against McDevitt or make boneheaded mistakes (saw # 12 offsides 3 time alone) as they did against Pine. Plus McD-ICS was Game-1.

McDevitt's schedule was less than PR's but that alone doesn't measure a team. Don't forget D7 was way down in my view this year. At least, I hope that's what I saw! How McD played against quality comp counts and when they faced it they crushed it, notably Manheim Central and Aliquippa with no one expected them to crush Quips. No one.

Having said that D1 who knows. It'd be a fine game!
Pine Richland is the real deal. I think even bigger then thier win over Imhotep was beating my cathedral prep ramblers in the semi finals. Prep was loaded this year and PR came back from a 14-0 lead to score 3 straight td's. I'd like to see them bump back up to 6A. I think they are the one program that has been able to hang with SJP when they a one of those special senior classes. They proved that in 14 & 17 and they are doing it as a public school.

Last edited:
Pine Richland is the real deal. I think even bigger then thier win over Imhotep was beating my cathedral prep ramblers in the semi finals. Prep was loaded this year and PR came back from a 14-0 lead to score 3 straight td's. I'd like to see them bump back up to 6A. I think they are the one program that can hang with SJP. They proved that in 14 & 17 and they are doing it as a public school.
Doing it as a public school means absolutely zero. Public schools, including PR recruit.

ECPs downfall is a less than average pass game. Missed multiple open WRs.
Thier starting QB, cater Barnes, who is a division 1 guy didn't play. That was their back up against pr. He plays sounds like ECP would probably be holding that trophy.

How so? Keep it in context. Public schools also recruit, assuming everyone is saying that’s the advantage of privates.

@Haus, they’ve been known to have players from Ohio and other school districts. Please don’t make me go back and do research and provide names. It can be referenced on this forum over the years. And In other districts, schools like Wilson recruit all over Berks county, North Penn recruits. Most public schools recruit, all except for southern Columbia of course. They win every year because they have such great coaching and really develop those little coal town kids. Give me a break.

How so? Keep it in context. Public schools also recruit, assuming everyone is saying that’s the advantage of privates.

@Haus, they’ve been known to have players from Ohio and other school districts. Please don’t make me go back and do research and provide names. It can be referenced on this forum over the years. And In other districts, schools like Wilson recruit all over Berks county, North Penn recruits. Most public schools recruit, all except for southern Columbia of course. They win every year because they have such great coaching and really develop those little coal town kids. Give me a break.
You said Pine Richland and I think that's a false statement. You had Kenny white in 2017 transfer from West Allegheny which are both Pittsburgh schools and 30 miles apart. The Piaa approved it too. Who else is there and who'd they recruit? Don't have to list them all but give me a few examples?

You said Pine Richland and I think that's a false statement. You had Kenny white in 2017 transfer from West Allegheny which are both Pittsburgh schools and 30 miles apart. The Piaa approved it too. Who else is there and who'd they recruit? Don't have to list them all but give me a few examples?
Wait you’re justifying 30 miles apart but rip sjp bc of guys within a fraction of that distance. 30 miles???? lol jersey is 3 miles from sjp and less for Roman.

disgusting. another team stealing trophies from community schools.

North Penn does seem to miraculously fill holes in their roster at times… and obviously the Upper Dublin situation is an extreme example this year. At least in District 1, they seem to be pretty lax in any enforcement, although Yazeed Haynes was stopped from playing in the playoffs this year.

North Penn does seem to miraculously fill holes in their roster at times… and obviously the Upper Dublin situation is an extreme example this year. At least in District 1, they seem to be pretty lax in any enforcement, although Yazeed Haynes was stopped from playing in the playoffs this year.
That QB Udinski situation ,CB West transfer to North Penn still Irks me.

Who else besides besides Kenny white (5 years ago).

I'm sure this was totally on the level. transferred to pr for the fall of his senior year only. lived with his brother who was on the steelers. was swiftly back in florida for track season.
these are all one off occurences though. outside of this, its completely clean. im sure of it.

Last edited:
not sure what other schools throughout PA do, but the process of "recruiting" is NOT COMMON in the Pittsburgh area- it gets questioned and sometimes kids get denied eligibility- this is well- documented, even if it is "maybe" transferring for "sports reasons."

Kenny White- idk, maybe, but PR would have won states even without him

Burns- yea, he moved here cuz his brother was playing for the Steelers, and his brother moved into a nice neighborhood- yea it happens, they gotta live somewhere, maybe they called the PR coaches, who knows, who cares- there's about a half dozen pgh HSs that most "Steelers kids" CHOOSE to go to, and PR is one of them- that makes it NOT recruiting in my eyes (PR, NA, PCC, North Catholic). Oh, and btw, NO TUITION at PR cuz its PUBLIC!!

there are maybe 2-3 other kids who transferred recently, in for HS at PR- but that is over the last 5-6 years, sometimes zero in a year.

In 2018, a kid from Ohio was "recruited" by PR coaches, and our assistant coach got fired- and this was one of the cited reasons our head coach, EK got "let go" last year

It might happen in WPIAL, but it is NOT widespread, and not frequent- and when it does happen, the kids usually have their eligibility questioned. I can tell you, certainly zero in 2021 or 2022. Most families just don't do it, its not worth the hassle and risk of "non-eligibility."

The point of my original comment that "being a public schools means zero" is false. Public schools have different rules, processes- some better some worse than private, but different than private. Also, many schools like PR, Aliquippa, Penn trafford, CV...etc... build their program through youth football, 7th, 8th grade process, and some have very little $- so yea, it "means something"

And they got their QB plus a coach out of it! 2018 season they had no obvious QB but one appeared from NJ just in time...
How about the QB transfer from Norristown high around that time and the wr haynes from neuman Gorretti. Its a good destination for Football players lol. haynes could have been in the state championship game ,but he miscalculated the move. NP had a down year even with a very talented QB.

North Penn, I believe, is the second biggest public school in Pennsylvania. Why would they even need transfers?

Reactions: Bighead75
not sure what other schools throughout PA do, but the process of "recruiting" is NOT COMMON in the Pittsburgh area- it gets questioned and sometimes kids get denied eligibility- this is well- documented, even if it is "maybe" transferring for "sports reasons."

Kenny White- idk, maybe, but PR would have won states even without him

Burns- yea, he moved here cuz his brother was playing for the Steelers, and his brother moved into a nice neighborhood- yea it happens, they gotta live somewhere, maybe they called the PR coaches, who knows, who cares- there's about a half dozen pgh HSs that most "Steelers kids" CHOOSE to go to, and PR is one of them- that makes it NOT recruiting in my eyes (PR, NA, PCC, North Catholic). Oh, and btw, NO TUITION at PR cuz its PUBLIC!!

there are maybe 2-3 other kids who transferred recently, in for HS at PR- but that is over the last 5-6 years, sometimes zero in a year.

In 2018, a kid from Ohio was "recruited" by PR coaches, and our assistant coach got fired- and this was one of the cited reasons our head coach, EK got "let go" last year

It might happen in WPIAL, but it is NOT widespread, and not frequent- and when it does happen, the kids usually have their eligibility questioned. I can tell you, certainly zero in 2021 or 2022. Most families just don't do it, its not worth the hassle and risk of "non-eligibility."

The point of my original comment that "being a public schools means zero" is false. Public schools have different rules, processes- some better some worse than private, but different than private. Also, many schools like PR, Aliquippa, Penn trafford, CV...etc... build their program through youth football, 7th, 8th grade process, and some have very little $- so yea, it "means something"
hey maybe he was recruited but they wouldve won anyway! and the other kid was recruited and moved from florida for 4 months but the school is free so it doesnt matter!

Reactions: Concretechuck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT