ADVERTISEMENT

High School Football America Preseason Top 100

PR has a chance to compete for a state title this year. Need to stay healthy and get kids in the correct positions. Early indications are they are playing to many favorites over proven talent.

Captain Y. Obvious-

No kidding they are bogus, why so defensive?....If your ls squad beats both wood and prep then they will look better in the bogus national polls....

BTW what did Albie and/or NG do to you?

Captain Y. Obvious-

No kidding they are bogus, why so defensive?....If your ls squad beats both wood and prep then they will look better in the bogus national polls....

BTW what did Albie and/or NG do to you?

LS squad? Nope, not a LaSalle guy.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
National rankings are bogus. When was the last time Wood beat SJP?
Most people know its an impossible task to rank High school teams accurately, but I think its nice for local teams to get National recognition by being mentioned . To me it simply means that a team mentioned should be a good team and one to be considered for top in the state they play in. Of course they miss many many quality teams.

Most people know its an impossible task to rank High school teams accurately, but I think its nice for local teams to get National recognition by being mentioned . To me it simply means that a team mentioned should be a good team and one to be considered for top in the state they play in. Of course they miss many many quality teams.

Agreed lilromeo. Rankings are bogus in terms of rank and order but a heck of a lot of fun, especially for the guys seeing their team’s name up in lights. Nothing wrong with that.
But on the other hand, the Blue Bloods are firmly established over time meaning the Florida, Texas, Cal, Jersey, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio (et al) powers where they essentially shuffle the same deck every year. Kind of like what we do here in PA, a microcosm of the National scene.
Where they miss it is not with long established Florida-National powers Booker T, Cocoa, STA, Boles and American Heritage (Plantation Campus), but with the lesser lights who are shining bright that year, teams like….using PA as an example…. Coatesville, Emmaus and Wilson who lack the national rep but could be very good, maybe worthy of a ranking. That’s where they miss it. Everyone knows De La Salle is going to kick ass.

Reactions: lilromeo
PR has a chance to compete for a state title this year. Need to stay healthy and get kids in the correct positions. Early indications are they are playing to many favorites over proven talent.

More info on that please? First I've heard about it. Keep in mind they return all starters but two linemen on offense, and quite a few plus kids that played alot on defense. They also added kenny white.

More info on that please? First I've heard about it. Keep in mind they return all starters but two linemen on offense, and quite a few plus kids that played alot on defense. They also added kenny white.
Well you have several starting WRs that started last year that have been removed and are getting no reps.

One is currently injured and thats falcone, he hasn't practiced in a few months. Makes sense if kids were getting reps in his place. One might be getting moved to defensive end also. I know one other also had a minor injury during 7v7 and was being held out for a little. I haven't heard of kids being kicked out of their starting spots for favorites though. They're very deep at the skill positions this year, a lot of depth. Competition is healthy and if someone is playing better than someone then you start the kid thats better, every coach does that. Not sure coach k would just remove starters with no competition.

Stalker I believe coach K is running the defense this year. The defensive coordinator from last year isn't on the staff anymore, took a principal job in fox chapel. This years offense if healthy will consistently put up 40+ per game. They need to be good enough on defense to stop the other team from getting in that range. Shouldn't be too tough they have the talent to be good on defense we will see though. Special teams needs work too, last year it was awful on coverage and returns.

Reactions: new2pa

I've heard a little about it from some of the booster guys. Typical parent stuff I guess.

He said PR is going to be full spread this year. Couldn't really line up with FB and have power running game at all last year vs. good teams, and don't think that's there best personnel with the weapons they have on offense.

Personally, I think that in the end White, Crawford, Falcone and the slot receiver from last year are going to play ton. White is leading returning rusher in WPIAL and the other 3 all had ~50 receptions each. That leaves the outside WR opposite Falcone. From watching last years game's, they need someone there who can run and make defenses at least pay attention to the opposite side of the field. In the one 7on7 I went to, there were at three kids rotating through that position - a taller well built kid, a thinner kid who looked to have very good hands, and another kid that looked like he was more of a TE than a WR. That had to be over a month ago, so things could have changed.

Last year's DC is gone and Coach K has taken over the defense with help from a guy that was DC at Woodland Hills for a long time. Given how bad they were last year, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the tweener guys became defense-only kids.

Reactions: JACKY6996
Competition would be great but that's not what has happened . I love the phrase typical parent stuff. You do realize that there are often parents that played and coached the game at a higher level than any high school coach. Multiple starters have been removed on offense with no competition so coaches kids can play. Has nothing to do with Falcone's injury or others. Completion would be great but that hasn't happened. Yes Coach K is taking the defense which should improve. Offense will score no matter what with all that talent. They are not deep at all because multiple offensive starters are getting no reps. You have at least 2 WR starters that have never caught a pass in a varsity game.

The slot guy is defrancis. The more built receiver you're talking about is Cam Ballay and the TE looking one is Tommy Camino who could play DE. Both Cam and Tommy were starting receivers last year. Both also played some LB last year as well. This is the first I've heard about this, so I will ask someone I know and see what they think. Camino and Ballay both caught less than 20 passes last year.

Also not sure what you mean by "coaches kids", there are two kids that have parents on staff and only one started last year. I know of multiple kids that can come and play well to give starters a break so they are deep at their skill positions this year.

Ballay played some H last year. Did not start at WR. Camino started at WR and is getting no offensive reps, he has been moved to fullback which they won't use this year. King played H when Ballay didn't, which was often, he is getting no offensive reps. The new H is a coaches kid that has never caught a varsity pass. No competition for any of these spots and large disagreements within the coaching staff about all of it.

I heard fullback also with camino, he's a bigger kid like 6'2 200+ so DE might be better suite for him if they want faster kids. I heard king is full time defense this year. Some kids that can play WR: Dawson Goltz, Crawford lined up wide, Ben Jochem (unless thats the coaches kid you were referring to I only heard he was going to be a sub and not a full time offensive starter), Shane Cafardi, Luke Meckler, and Dylan Stenson. All kids ive seen getting reps in.

Last comment....Jochem is your starting H with no competition. The others you mention may be good for a series or two. Not using Camino and King on offense is just flat stupid. Keep in mind the inside receivers block for screens constantly. Good luck with a bunch of 170 lb kids taking on LBs

They were at a 7v7 tournament about a month ago, and camino was playing receiver. I'm not sure what happened since then that you're referring to, but I know that months ago there was word he was gonna be a DE. I'm talking like February. It makes sense to keep king defense only, the less kids going both ways the better. Especially in a uptempo offense, it wears them down quicker. Jochem played offense last year a little, he lined up WR a few times throughout the season think he had one catch. Ive heard he was gonna be a sub in this year and start full time at safety like last year. I will ask around like I said. My guess for the WR corps is Falcone and ballay on the outside, defrancis at the slot, and the H position could rotate in between jochem and camino depending on what the play is (camino blocks for screens, jochem runs routes to catch etc).

Yes. defrancis is the slot kid. The King and Jochem boys were best defenders of the group you mention - always heard their names called on the PA for tackles etc. King looks like he could play at the next level. Crawford and White have got to play together a lot IMO (Jacky - ask that too), along with Falcone and defrancis. That's 3 WR and a RB.(Or 2 RB's and 2 WR's) depending on how you count them. Pick one other kid. I guess its the Ballay kid.

That's why I believed they were gonna be kept predominantly on defense, to keep the best defenders fresh. I expect king to have offers on the table by the end of junior season, he's a beast. I've heard some two back formations are being implemented this year, and either white or crawford could be lined up wide while the other is in the backfield. Ballay is a big receiver, 6'1 and 205+. He has track speed too, I've seen him do sprints. If he can take the top off the otherside with his size and speed then opposing defenses won't be able to handle falcone, and jurkovec and the RB's all at the same time. This offense has potential on paper to be better than the 2014 group.

Its funny. The only kid not mentioned in this thread is the best of the group. Jurkovec.

They better be better on defense.

Reactions: lilromeo
Changing topics slightly - how does their line look? They have three kids back up front on O. But after that? Any depth? Two way kids?

And what about defense? Can they stop the run?

Alot of it was tackling last season, and their D line was undersized so many teams with bigger O lines took advantage and pounded away. If they could fundamentally tackle better than that will make their defense so much. Adding white who imo is the wpials best cornerback will make them much better also.

The three returning starters on the O line are Micheal Katic (6'4 275), Andrew Kristofic(6'6 250), and Micheal Dorundo (6'2 250). The two replacements at guard I've heard will be Parker Boyd (6'1 260) and David Hodgin (6'1 270). Hodgin started the second half of last year on the D line. Depth is fairly thin on the line, the depth kids are on defense. I think the only who will play both ways will be kristofic, he's has D1 offers and is a pretty good athlete so hopefully he can handle it. He reminds of matt hampson who that had a few years back.

For the D line I believe Peyton Byrd and Kristofic will be at the D end, unless camino ends moving to D end so kristofic doesn't have to go both ways consistently. There are two kids at DT that I think the coaches were hoping panned out as camp went by, we will see what happens there. Katic and Hodgin will see some time at DT as well.

for stopping the run imo ends up how the two interior kids pan out. No idea on that yet. They aren't the biggest kids unfortunately, PR hasn't had the big linemen like PCC and NA or even Seneca Valley has. That's the one advantage alot of the bigger schools have. When you have a smaller line in that conference you're gonna give up rushing yards with playing teams like PCC and NA. I think this season though PR's offense is gonna score enough points tho that teams will have to abandon the run (unless you're a incompetent coach like totten ;) ) just to try to keep up. Nobody on their schedule will be able to hold them under 40 this year.

One is currently injured and thats falcone, he hasn't practiced in a few months. Makes sense if kids were getting reps in his place. One might be getting moved to defensive end also. I know one other also had a minor injury during 7v7 and was being held out for a little. I haven't heard of kids being kicked out of their starting spots for favorites though. They're very deep at the skill positions this year, a lot of depth. Competition is healthy and if someone is playing better than someone then you start the kid thats better, every coach does that. Not sure coach k would just remove starters with no competition.

Stalker I believe coach K is running the defense this year. The defensive coordinator from last year isn't on the staff anymore, took a principal job in fox chapel. This years offense if healthy will consistently put up 40+ per game. They need to be good enough on defense to stop the other team from getting in that range. Shouldn't be too tough they have the talent to be good on defense we will see though. Special teams needs work too, last year it was awful on coverage and returns.

Sure hope so JACKY. They've had a few awesome O's with no help from the D and it'd be ashamed to waste Jurko!

Yep they had a trip to heinz field secured jurkovec's sophomore year and the D gave up a touchdown with 7 seconds to go. If he wasnt injured last then year than I think they beat NA get the second seed and give PCC a run for their money at heinz. PCC made many mistakes in the wpial championship and seneca valley could not capitalize on them. I was pulling my hair out thinking how PR could have turned the turnovers and field position into points, and then considering how PR brought them down to the wire in the regular season. Very disappointing when he got injured last season.

That OL is HUGE for PR standards. Hopefully some kids step up and there are no two way linemen . I always thought that you wanted to minimize the number of two way kids in the front 7. The DB's usually just run around.

So King and Serminara return at LB. Crawford and White at CB. Jochem returns at S. And the Meckler boy played a ton last year as a freshman. Falcone and Defrancis as backups if healthy. That's some pretty good skill on defense.

Like you said though, they have to find kids up front. Offense will take care of itself.

Yes this is the biggest O line they've had in a while. That's why the offense this year will be extra scary, teams with big fronts won't be able to shut the run down and make them one dimensional like the past couple years it seemed, give crawford or white space and they will burn a lot of people.

The new starter at LB to replace the older meckler will be jared marfisi (6' 210). He's solid from what I've seen Ballay could see some time their too. The secondary could shape up to be one of the best in the state, crawford and white are both three year varisty starters at CB and jochem and meckler both started at S last year. I heard falcone won't be on defense at all this year due to his knee injury, they don't wanna mess around with that.

I think the big key is shutting down other teams run games, because that's what teams will try to do to keep jurkovec and the offense off the field. Hopefully the D linemen candidates end up panning out.

I agree. I hear they are making considerable defensive changes built around stopping the run. If they can improve in that area they will be hard to beat.

Yes, with white being able to keep teams number 1 receivers in check in the secondary if they can shut down the run they're almost impossible to beat. They have the talent to make it to the state championship. They need to improve tackling tremendously however, last year it was very very poor and they gave up big plays on defense and special teams almost every game because they couldn't wrap up and tackle. The week 0 game vs wayne is gonna be a good test, I think they have a good chance of beating them if they play a very good game.

The one thing that stood out to me in those rankings is PA has no one in the top 50, yet New Jersey has 5 teams in the top 30.

Just talked to someone I know associated with the team. They said that the comments of Camino being kicked out of his starting spot are untrue. He's been getting the same reps as the other receivers with Jochem and meckler both seeing time at that spot too. Jochem will be there as the better receiver, Camino as the better blocker etc. King hasn't been getting as many offensive reps because it makes sense they don't want their best linebacker playing 200 snaps a game.

The starting receiver lineup changed a few times last season but at the end it was falcone, defrancsis, Camino, and ballay. Some other guys subbed in a good amount too. The lineup should be the same going into this upcoming season.

Last edited:
If you think for a second they play favorites on that coaching staff you're absolutely wrong. If you think for a second that there isn't depth on our offense you're mistaken. Ben Jochem and Tommy Camino split reps at H, although Ben gets more being he is the considerably better receiver. Jochem is your starting H because the kid is an absolutel baller, his dad has nothing to do with it. If you think Coach Malinowski would let Jochem play favorites, especially with his Navy background, again you are sorely mistaken. Camino doesn't play offense because they have found numerous receivers who can play the X position way better than he can. You act like you know the ins and outs of our program and you have never even been to a practice. If you have been, you must've fallen asleep. TK does not play offense because the need for him to play every play of every game is unnecessary if we have guys who can do what he did on offense just as well. He doesn't need reps. Camino does get reps so I don't know where you heard that Mr. Football.6a. Everything you've said is just simply untrue and quite frankly dumb.

The one thing that stood out to me in those rankings is PA has no one in the top 50, yet New Jersey has 5 teams in the top 30.
Max preps has St Joe Prep ranked 12th in their pre season ranking.IMO ,the 5 North Jersey teams ,Don Boscoe,St Joe Montvalle,St Peters Prep Paramus Catholic and Bergan Catholic are all deserving of high rankings. DeMatha is also highly ranked. Almost every year that group of teams play and compete against some of the best in the Nation. Wood and St Joe will have to be at their best to stay with them I'm sure you know relayer that the Wood/ Paramus Catholic game is at Tennant Labor Day Weekend. IMO ,Pine-Richland should be up there with the top teams .I cant wait to watch Jurkovich air it out against Wayne,Ohio in their opener.

OK Fox. We will see when the pads come on. T shirt "ballers" as you say will soon look average. You mention "our" offense, so you sound pretty defensive coach. Maybe you should ask your other coaches if they feel favorites are being played. The answers may surprise you.

Where are you getting your info from? I can assure you jochem is not a "t shirt baller". I have people on the team telling me that him and Camino are splitting time at the receiver spot.

OK Fox. We will see when the pads come on. T shirt "ballers" as you say will soon look average. You mention "our" offense, so you sound pretty defensive coach. Maybe you should ask your other coaches if they feel favorites are being played. The answers may surprise you.

Yeah, I'm defensive because you are acting like you know things that you don't. It's clear who the kids are that don't like contact, but Ben is a top tier player. I know for a fact that favorites aren't played, it would be obvious. But you would know being that you are so far on in the inside, especially with all your terrible information.

ADVERTISEMENT