ADVERTISEMENT

High School bucket list

newman107

Dec 1, 2010
I'd like to think I'm not alone in this crowd in wanting to visit various schools and stadiums to take in the atmosphere. Last Friday, I made the 2+ hour drive to Catawissa to witness Southern Columbia football. As a fan of the game at this level this is a place I've wanted to visit for years.It seemed as though their most-tightly contested games were always scheduled closer to the end of the season and I never wanted to go there to freeze my ass off. I chose this past week's game against Selinsgrove because they appeared to be the toughest opponent on their schedule. They might have been, but it wasn't even a contest. This Tigers team is loaded, and I left there more impressed with the way they played defense. It was 48-0 at halftime, but it was still worth the trip to me. Is there anywhere you guys want to go? I'm curious as to what people want to see and I'm looking for new destinations.

newman.. that is a great question... I've always thought if (when) I win the power ball I would buy an RV and go on a college football stadium tour.. but for HS football..Mmm you always hear so much about the Friday nights lights in the south.. I don’t have any particular teams in mind but I think it would be fun to see the 25,000 seat stadiums in TX or maybe hit a couple in Alabama or Georgia..

No one stadium in particular New. Just fun dropping in to any of them for the different sights and smells.

Note on Southern; they're legit even up a few classes and unfortunately Selinsgrove graduated a record setting team last year that lost by a point to Beth Cath in the playoffs while losing to SCA 49-28! They can play at any class so long as Roth heads the program.

I’d love to go to Woodland Hills because I’ve read a ton about the venue but never been. Aliquippa, and some of the other traditional western pa powers with old school roots. Same thing with the coal country schools, Southern Columbia, Dunmore, Berwick, etc.

Out of state, it’s one of my great regrets not going to Massolin Washington when I lived in Ohio. Valdosta, Georgia also would be a bucket list trip, winningest program in the country.

My alma mater in Hershey is at the top of the list though...

My first varsity play back in '85 was at The Pit in Aliquippa for the former Center HS (now Central Valley) on the on-side kick team. Unfortunately, we did not recover and lost 21-14. Very intimidating place for visiting teams.

District 1 guys - where is the best atmosphere to watch a game in D1? Your recommendations (if I haven't been there already) will become my bucket list, since realistically I'm not going too far to see a game!

I've been to Crispin field at Berwick. Boy do they know how to barbecue out there. Very passionate fan base and a great stadium. Two other venues that you could feel has serious history that I visited was Easton and Ridley. Walking down those 100 steps at Ridley and then through what looks like heaven's gate to the field which almost appeared below sea level.

I've heard so much about North Allegheny's field out west and hope to get out there one day. I also had a number of people from out west (while at the state title games in Hershey) ask me about Charles Martin stadium in the northeast.

Speaking of Berwick, Brad Creveling who was a fixture on the 12th Man Show at Prep Nation Radio just died suddenly. He used to get his stones broken on the show (but all in fun) for getting some of the scores mixed up. He was a great guy who always liked a good joke and could always laugh hardily at himself. Bigtime Berwick guy. He will be missed tremendously.

Easton was fabulous. Seeing everyone dressed in red walking the streets to the stadium. You could imagine the same scene in any time period.

I love the deck seating at three houses in the back of Ridley's enzone. Also love how the people of both easton and Ridley allowed you to park on their lawn

I love the deck seating at three houses in the back of Ridley's enzone. Also love how the people of both easton and Ridley allowed you to park on their lawn

Who has a lawn in West Ward?! I have no idea where you parked! The play is to go to the other side of Northampton Street.

I obviously love Cottingham, and as I get older I appreciate the location more and more. Not just that it’s right in a neighborhood, but that the crown jewel of the city’s culture in the heart of one of its lowest income, bluest collar neighborhoods. It is accessible on foot to tons of people who may not have the mobility or means to get out in to the suburbs on Friday. And it forces some of the Palmer/Forks folks to mingle with people in their city on their turf. I think there is a tangible benefit to the community that such a shared resource and point of pride is in not up by Lafayette or out in the townships, but in the real urban heart of Easton.

And it’s fun to watch the Parkland and Nazareth parents sweat as they walk up 11th street.

Reactions: Aragorn
Who has a lawn in West Ward?! I have no idea where you parked! The play is to go to the other side of Northampton Street.

I obviously love Cottingham, and as I get older I appreciate the location more and more. Not just that it’s right in a neighborhood, but that the crown jewel of the city’s culture in the heart of one of its lowest income, bluest collar neighborhoods. It is accessible on foot to tons of people who may not have the mobility or means to get out in to the suburbs on Friday. And it forces some of the Palmer/Forks folks to mingle with people in their city on their turf. I think there is a tangible benefit to the community that such a shared resource and point of pride is in not up by Lafayette or out in the townships, but in the real urban heart of Easton.

And it’s fun to watch the Parkland and Nazareth parents sweat as they walk up 11th street.

Rover,

The Parkland & Nazareth Parents Uber right to the ticket booth.

Haha, you have a point. However, the intimidation factor keeps going way down as parkland kicks our butt. Back when we owned them in playoff match ups (think ‘99 to ‘10) there was definitely a “we’re playing the tough city kids in the hood” factor that has gone away with the Trojans.

Only because they missed us in the playoffs that year! (Kidding). But Easton knocked Parkland out in 99, 00, 01, 03, 06, and 09 and won the only meeting in 04 and 10. Since, they’ve knocked us out of the playoffs in 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 17

Great atmosphere BASD tonight. Tight, well played game and the battle of the two best bands around. 21-20 Liberty over Easton with just over nine minutes left.

Rovers have to get healthy. Right tackle Elek Ferency, guard Christian Miers, defensive end/guard Derek Frinzi, defensive tackle D’Sean Cham, and all league middle linebacker Andrew Balukas all in street clothes tonight. They have enough depth on the lines to survive, but they’ll need their horses as the schedule needs up.

Reynolds has been fabulous, playing like a senior. And tonight was the best I’ve seen the pup Nahjee Adams (2) play. Sophomore is starting to grow up.

Downingtown s Kottmeyer hands down is the nicest and best in district 1. Plenty of seating and no track so close to field. You won’t find better bands and student section in D1. I hate stadiums where you have to walk a mile, down a hill and old seating!

Would love to get to a small town in Ohio, Western PA, or down South. One where they shut down the towns and every porch has a flag flying in support of the local high school. Friday night lights at its best!

Would love to get to a small town in Ohio, Western PA, or down South. One where they shut down the towns and every porch has a flag flying in support of the local high school. Friday night lights at its best!
You might be feeling nostalgia for what never actually existed ... "every porch" ... towns that are "shut down"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT