ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Philly guys. Jerry Blavat died today........

"For Yon Teenagers Only".

Friday nights at Feasterville Firehall.

WTTM as I recall.
He was huge. I first remember him from the early to mid-60s when he had a nightly radio program: a mix of dance music and slow songs, the latter being accompanied by his advice to "yon teens" in love. People would travel many miles to go to his dances: Chez Vous (69th St.) on Friday night, a place in Jersey on Saturday, and Wagner's on Sunday afternoon. I can remember hitchhiking all the way to Ryan--about 20 miles from my house--to go to one of his dances when I was about 15.

Now I remember the name of the place in Jersey: the Riviera Ballroom.

Last edited:
Philly in the '60s.

"Memory Lane" off one of Jerry's albums.

Jerry was so great. You could call in with information about your girlfriend and whatever was going on and he would read a message like: "Betsy - Larry really loves you and wants you to know he's very sorry and you're the only girl for him -- he hopes you forgive him."

We used to go "parking" at the Trevose Train Station (oh so queer) and listen to him.

Oh geez .... 6,000 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo
I was check-riding one of my guys from South Philly many years ago, when we found ourselves behind a black Cadillac with Jersey tags saying 'Geator'. Frankie asked me if I knew who that was and being from Harrisburg said no. So he says that's Jerry Blavat who I did know, pulls up beside him in our very recognizeable Fed Ex van beeps with Jerry waving back. That's how I knew of the The Geator with the Heater besides my wife also from South Philly.
He was out this way at the Springfield Inn for some time and could pop up just about anywhere in the burbs. Never met anyone who didn't have a kind word to say about him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT