ADVERTISEMENT

Here's How You Fix College Football

So, what this is, is staying with (before the recent insanity) things as they've always been historically, teams broken down by geography, but now on steroids, bigger groupings.

The harder question is NIL. But only if they don't recognize them for what they are, professionals. As professionals, do what all the other professional organizations do, put a cap on it.

So, what this is, is staying with (before the recent insanity) things as they've always been historically, teams broken down by geography, but now on steroids, bigger groupings.

The harder question is NIL. But only if they don't recognize them for what they are, professionals. As professionals, do what all the other professional organizations do, put a cap on it.
They used to make the argument that these kids may be on scholarship, but they have no means to go to the movies, get a burger with friends, etc... so that's been fixed, no reason they all have to be millionaires right out of the gate. The team where everyone is getting 25K, including walk-ons... to me that's very reasonable and lets an athlete go on spring break, buy clothes, electronics and maybe help his parents out a bit. (or do that first) I'm not saying that's the right number, but it's a starting point. The counter-argument is that the schools are making huge $$ off of the athletes and that is a very fair point.

They used to make the argument that these kids may be on scholarship, but they have no means to go to the movies, get a burger with friends, etc... so that's been fixed, no reason they all have to be millionaires right out of the gate. The team where everyone is getting 25K, including walk-ons... to me that's very reasonable and lets an athlete go on spring break, buy clothes, electronics and maybe help his parents out a bit. (or do that first) I'm not saying that's the right number, but it's a starting point. The counter-argument is that the schools are making huge $$ off of the athletes and that is a very fair point.
Some schools make a lot of money from football and/or basketball but clearly most do not. Can Temple--or Penn or Villanova let alone Widener and West Chester--make much (any?) money from football? So if SEC and Big 10 teams can pay walk-ons $25K-in addition to free tuition and accommodation--how can other schools even think of competing, including competing for players?

But I also wonder to what degree the money some schools make on football is then spent on a variety of sports (soccer, gymnastics, rowing, track, etc.--for women and for men) that make no money for the schools and cost them quite a bit. Should walk-on football players get $25K and an all-American soccer player get nothing because there's a TV contract for football and not for soccer?

It's very messy,

Some schools make a lot of money from football and/or basketball but clearly most do not. Can Temple--or Penn or Villanova let alone Widener and West Chester--make much (any?) money from football? So if SEC and Big 10 teams can pay walk-ons $25K-in addition to free tuition and accommodation--how can other schools even think of competing, including competing for players?

But I also wonder to what degree the money some schools make on football is then spent on a variety of sports (soccer, gymnastics, rowing, track, etc.--for women and for men) that make no money for the schools and cost them quite a bit. Should walk-on football players get $25K and an all-American soccer player get nothing because there's a TV contract for football and not for soccer?

It's very messy,
25k?....Way low. They wouldn't get too many commitments if they were power 5.

ADVERTISEMENT