ADVERTISEMENT

Haverford High

haverford20

Feb 1, 2008
I no longer live in the area and haven't seen this team play since they won the Central League in 2015. From what I read on this year's team it sounds like they have some very good skill position players and an experienced dual threat QB who can put up some points. Unfortunately it sounds like they still struggle against teams that can control clock and run the ball effectively.

Haverford has been on a nice run recently (8 plus regular season wins in each of the last 7 years) and have made the playoffs in 6 of those 7 years. Unfortunately they haven't been able to win a game yet in the playoffs and I'm curious if this year will be any different. I know they've had some tough first round playoff match-ups (CB South with Josh Adams, Coatesville, North Penn twice, and a good Perk Valley team in 2015) and they have another tough one this year at Neshaminy (who easily could be 9-1 this year).

For anyone who has seen both teams play, can Haverford's front 8 slow down Neshaminy's ground game and give them a shot? I'm sure the offense will be able to put up some points when they get on the field, but if what happened against Ridley repeats itself they might not get enough chances.

I would really like to see Coach Gal finally get a playoff win because his teams have been fun to watch over this run (and I thought that 2015 team was definitely good enough to win a game or 2 in the playoffs). I'm just concerned the Fords don't have the size up front to hang with the SOL / Ches-Mont teams.

Haverford 20 as someone who saw both 2015 and this team extensively and knows/knew the personnel well I actually think this team is more talented especially offensively. Donaghy unbelievable winner but this team bigger and better up front then that team by a lot and skill kids collectively better and more explosive.

Defensively when they lose they get physically overwhelmed at LOS. Play a lot of lighter kids which is tough in 4-4 especially at LB. 3 dline over 200 lbs and if they choose can go 280 and 245 at DT. Have an emerging LB who is going to be great but is Soph.

Central tends to be spread system league. Haverford base personnel designed to stop that. Those same 11 have way harder time against Ridley and Garnet Valley and give up too many rushing yards. Same against North Penn.

This game going to be great contrast of styles. Neshaminy D been great and guessing they will line up in double tight etc and try and run it down Haverford throat and mix in play action.

Haverford needs to win a District game to take next step. Been on a good ten year run to elevate program but time is present to step forward. This year and next will end that run. Cupboard not as stocked after that. It’s what makes the Ridley loss both alarming and disappointing. Should not lose that one program desperate for district win.

Fact that Neshaminy D been awesome could help Haverford. Speed doesn’t show up on film. Ridley did everything in their power to only give Haverford 7 possessions. Not sure Neshaminy will be nearly as concerned.

Thought last year in round 1 Haverford skill and speed caught North Penn by surprise. Was tight game but ultimately Haverford could not stop North Penn run game but North Penn could not stop Haverford. Think this will be classic contrast of styles.

Love to read these posts. Good information. However, I disagree on Neshaminy D. I don't think they have been great all year. I saw two games live this year and they gave up 35 or more in both. Block Manzyk! Run counter, boots, misdirection stuff to slow him down. Motions to get his eyes distracted and then you can throw all over the place. If Manzyk isn't in the backfield, Neshaminy is just ordinary. Haverford can most definitely win this game. Not impressed with Neshaminy run game if Manzyk is not in the backfield. Just an average playoff team in my opinion.

Hav- I have not seen Neshaminy this year but I am familiar with their style of play. If they line up and go directly at Haverford, they can control the clock and play keep away from their offense. That’s what Ridley did and they managed to pull out a W. Although only by 3. Haverford strength on defense is there DBs , safety and outside Lbs- a very athletic group as GG said. But their athleticism is totally neutralized if you only throw 2 passes and just grind out first downs. The only plays the DB make are 7 yards downfield making tackles. Couple of other factors that might effect the outcome - the extended forecast for Friday night is about %60 rain which I think will hurt Haverford ( see GV / Haverford game ). And the stud RB for neshaminy has been banged up lately. If he plays and is a full go at RB , he is a load and can eat up the clock on his own.

How was Haverford able to slow down Garnet Valley if defensive line struggles against the run? Was the rain that much of a factor?

Haverford defended Garnet Valley way better than Ridley but by no means shut them down. Garnet fumbled four times but still ran for 230 or so. Run defense shined at times. Springfield, first half of Haven come to mind. Also gave up 200 to Stoga, Radnor ran it well in first half and Unionville had success. Ridley dominated in that phase to render the talent gap at skills moot.

More I go back an analyze Haverford/Ridley more impressed I come away with Ridley knowing exactly what their path was to victory. Only dropped back to pass twice and threw once. Even on runs there was a conscious effort to stay in bounds to run clock and running plays on longer downs than normal. Also dominated special teams. That really was a very well thought out and executed plan.

Ridley running that system well. Get off on oline is very good. Qb ball handling excellent and back can hit home run. Remind me of 2016 Garnet Valley offensively. Haven’t seen North Penn but gotta think they would much prefer a different opponent.

Wow speaks volumes and makes me think a little about both games. I haven't been overly impressed with North Penn but the fact of the matter is they have never lost at home in the playoffs. Have to lean towards North Penn.

Where's lift? We need to bring him out of retirement for this game.

I know the 'Skins were hard at work and focused today and that they're taking the Fords and their 8-2 record very seriously (two losses by a total of just ten points and in the playoffs year after year -- Langhorne would be foolish to do anything but take them very seriously).

Let's hope the rain holds off for this first ever meeting between these two clubs.

Go 'Skins!!

Haverford and GV played a tight game. We all know what happened a few yrs ago when Nesh hosted GV. I know it's a new yr and different players. Skinner- good to see they're focused. Should be a great game.

Happy to report Lift doing well. Saw him at both the Ridley and Springfield games Haverford played. Looking forward to Heartbreak Ridge on Friday for great HS environment. Haverford new strength coach who has made a definite positive impact to their program is a Nesh grad.

That's Marco Dapkey -- Mr. Redskin 2010.

He's a great person and a real competitor. No doubt he's making a solid contribution to the Haverford program.

Manzyk is not Neshaminy's primary ball carrier. That would be 1000 yard rusher Chris James, a small quick tough little dude who has been slicing and dicing defenses for the Las t few games. Manzyk gets a few carries per game.

Well, I saw Manzyk run with my own two eyes and he was very impressive. If he could duplicate his week 0 effort against Haverford, I would tell you they would win going away. However, your telling me James will get most of the carries. Even though he is a 1,000 yd back, he was less then impressive vs. North Penn and DWest. After speaking with several people, seems Haverford High struggles against good run teams. So I guess the question is, is Neshaminy a good enough run team to keep the ball away from a spread team that can do damage to Neshaminy pass defense. Then there is the weather report. Ah, to close to call. Think I'll take Haverford High in a squeaker. Something tells me they finally win a playoff game against a pretty good football team, but not a great one.

-Sad to say but there is too much Neshaminy talk. They are no real factor and they have about another week before winter sports physicals begin.

-It’s Coatesville and Prep in 6A. Not really a secret.

- On another note - too many teams make the playoffs.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like Neshaminy has the edge but Haverford has a shot if their D-Line / LBs can step it up.

Hoping for good weather but Haverford can't be afraid to air it out even if there is a bit of rain. They'll have to be smart but they can't let the weather take away what they've done so well all season.

Agreed that too many teams make the playoffs now that we have 6 divisions. No reason that a 6-4 or 5-5 team should be in the playoffs. Make it a 8-12 team playoff field in 6A & 5A and give the top seeds a bye.

Reactions: Concretechuck
Sounds like its going to be a great game. I love this time of the year.

I'm setting the line at Neshaminy -6 at home. The O/U 24.5 because of the weather.

Thoughts?

@Relayer you are 100% correct, I chose my words poorly. I was more less speaking to the optimism. For this year, they just are not a legitimate contender, same for North Penn.

Smart move by NP moving tonight’s game to a turf field.

Reactions: Relayer
The field is not chewed up now but a good soaking and a half of football will make it a mess (I'm sitting here in sunny LA and checking the weather back there and it indicates rain between now and kickoff but maybe not during the game - maybe somebody can enlighten me).

The wet will slow down both passing games so that 24.5 O/U probably about right (a couple of scores a piece so I'm thinking I'd take the over).

I don't see a problem with being optimistic. I think everyone will be happy to get to play Coatessville. It will mean several playoff victories and a District final appearance. That is a very successful year, especially for a tree loss team. Along the way, there is opportunity to reverse a couple of those losses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT