ADVERTISEMENT

Gordon Resigning Monday?????

IrishCB

Jul 4, 2012
Any of you LaSalle guys get wind of this. Had a friend call me today who is close to the program and he told me Drew is done on Monday. I just don't see this happening.

No, haven't heard anything along these lines. The "talk" among some of the connected faithful is that administrative support currently is not as great as that being encouraged and shown to Infante's regime. Idk??.....there is certainly no void of PCL, D12 and State titles along other sports teams at LS.
Doubt very much you'll hear or see anything in print on this particular matter from the LS FB faithful even if known. Hard for me to believe or accept..

I don't think it is any secret at LS that Drew may be frustrated with what he views as a lack of support from above. Hopefully, it has not come to this. Drew is beloved among the alumni, fans and players! One would think all parties would compromise and move forward. Speaking for LS alumni and fans, it would be a disgrace if parties can't compromise for the benefit of the student athletes at LS!

It is my understanding that Brett Gordon was offered a job in Florida. Drew's daughter is already down in that area. If that is the case, Drew has nothing to keep him up here if Brett leaves with the Grandkids. Nothing wrong with that! He had one of the best runs in PCL, city and state history!!

I agree with JB that there has been a minor culture change with La Salle's administration but nothing that would cause a split. They just have to be careful who they hire. If Schmidt is mentioned, I will disown La Salle!!!

This post was edited on 1/31 10:17 AM by paul from philly

Let me preface my question by saying I'm not trying to start a fight with the LaSalle guys and I'm not trying to insult anybody, just something that crossed my mind. This is the first I've heard about Gordon leaving and it would be quite a shock if he does. If he does go, FLA would be a nice place to retire. Does anybody think LaSalle may have a bit of down year next year? If he were thinking of leaving in the next couple years, right now may be the time to go? They lose a ton from this years team. D1 QB, all everything WR, main RB, pretty good FB, terrific TE, a few LB's, and 11 of their 13 interceptions on D. I know they return some good kids in the trenches, but they might struggle a bit outside of the line of scrimmage. JV team struggled last year so I don't expect any impact players coming in from there. Hey, they might be right there at the end of the season, I have no crystal ball. However, they might not be and I wonder if that has anything to do with leaving now, if that is in fact the case.

If he does leave......nothing has been announced.....I think that would be a major part of the equation. I don't know how old he is, 70? He's done it all and I don't think he gonna like the view in the PCL for the next few years. The road to the Championship runs through 17th and Girard now and will for some time.

There has definitely been resistance by the admin. And the director of admissions to help coaches with players. That's a fact. Until the alumni voice their unhappiness it won't matter.

I agree that the next few years don't look too bright for LaSalle in comparison with SJP--especially after next year when SJP too may be weaker. SJP's freshman and sophomore classes are very strong.

Lots of factors are making it harder for 4A PCL teams. They all have six weeks at the start of the season to fill with games. That's not easy, especially since some local schools are averse. Plus, most teams are committed to league games after the first week or two. It certainly means some travel sooner or later, and maybe that's not something Gordon would like. SJP has scheduled games with other Jesuit schools in the last decade or so (Gonzaga, St. Ignatius, St. Peter's, and Dallas Jesuit), but I don't think LaSalle has comparable Christian Brother schools to schedule--certainly not as many.

tulla,
Again I'm not trying to be a negative Nelly, but next year I don't think the issue will only be SJP. I think Prep is the team for the foreseeable future, but I just think next year is gonna be a tough one for LaSalle against all 3 teams in PCL AAAA. Wouldn't be my first time being wrong, but I think Prep is above the others next year and the other 3 are pretty even. That's not something that normally happens at LaSalle lately.

Spoke with a few "folks" today, appears the Gordon-Florida thing is a non-flyer, have trust in those sources, we'll see.

As for Administrative relations and support, believe this is a double-edged sword. Since Gil Brooks was relieved and Gabe Infante was given the keys to the Kingdom, SJP alum have stepped up BIG TIME in supporting their alma mater, providing tuition support that has been magnificent. The football program it seems to have been a beneficiary of such philanthropy, it's a commitment that schools like SJ and LS require to give kids of need support to offset their large tuition fees.
According to some LS people, giving has not been to the level that would allow 'enough' interested qualified students with athletic(FB) potential the relief needed to attend. LaSalle raises a lot of money, but not to the current level that would stay competitive with SJ's relating to football. I believe this is what really frustrates Drew Gordon. Coaching and player discipline/motivation wins out or is the difference maker when the talent on the field is equal. Enough said..
The other "problem" LS has is that most of their athletic teams are competing for or winning PCL titles or greater. It's a much broader commitment to all the teams, not just a few can be targeted. 14 State titles last ~10 years along sports lines, they have achieved great success athletically. This, of course, is not to mention the primary focus of the institution, supporting academic achievement and success. Here I sympathize with administrative efforts and decision-making.
The LaSalle faithful are forever grateful to the Gordons' and coaches for their dedication to the school, they're truly beloved.

Contrary to belief neither LS or SJP want to put a kid in a position to fail academically. The trick is to find good students who are good athletes.

Whoa there big fella!! Truly beloved!! Please, he wasn't the Pope! He was a great high school football coach. He has his warts, just ask some of the football parents. But he and son along with some major help from Steinmetz and all the coaches worked magic for a long time. For that the La Salle faithful are thankful!! Truly beloved is a little strong!!

Paul,
I am and will "always" be a parent. We all have our foibles, none of us are excluded, including Drew. No one in the LS community, I'm including you, will deny that Drew, Brett, John, Dom, and the rest of the coaches who've dedicated so much for so long are endeared to the faithful. Their mentoring of our boys, turning student-athletes into men poised for the next level of their lives/careers is what we should be proud of. IMHO...

JT., if you believe DG would leave because prospects may look thin in a certain year it only proves you don' t know him.

Burrs, I think they've been alluded to in the thread already. One thing I know as a manager, it doesn't matter if the issue is real or Imagined, it needs to be dealt with.

In this case, I would hope all parties would address the issues fully and place the student athletes first.

JB, other than being LaSalle's coach, I know nothing about the man. That's why I asked a question. I'm pretty sure he's an older gentleman and if he were planning on hanging it up in the next couple years, why go through the headache of having a tough year or 2 and not just hang it up now? Obviously you're a LaSalle guy and could have answered my question, but you'd rather be condescending. All good, just your way.

JT, the insinuation in your post was clear; when someone begins with the statement they are not insinuating anything, you know they are.

JB, funny because if I didn't preface my question you would have jumped up and down calling me a LaSalle hater. Why is it that on every thread you join, you come off as a douche bag?

JT, just go back to being the ass of EPF; you do it so well mocking every individual who posts there.

Pa Preps is such a nicer place when you're belittling everyone at EPF!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT