ADVERTISEMENT

Garnet Valley - Springfield

ChesmontLeague1

Jul 26, 2012
Both 8-0 and are scoring and playing good defense. IMO Garnet Valley has played a tougher schedule up to this point (Rustin 5-3 and Haverford 7-1) vs Springfield toughest games were against Upper Darby 6-2 and Marple 4-4. Springfield offense seems balanced w run and pass. Garnet offense is run focused. Who wins?

I like GV. As you pointed out, I think GV has more quality wins. I also think they are a little more battle tested. Couple that with being really well-coached and I see them as the winners here.

Reactions: ChesmontLeague1
I'll take the opposite end of this one. What is the series record over the last 5 years. I think Springfield has the stronger D and have more balance offensively.

Reactions: ChesmontLeague1
Springfield D has traditionally held its own against GV. This goes back even a few years when GV used flash cards to signal in plays in the hurry up. Springfield looked at every flash card signal and matched it with game film and by game time they apparently knew the entire offense. Point being Springfield will be prepared .

If you look at significant common opponents ( Ridley Marple UD) , Springfield has had a much easier time. Also , GV QB was injured on Friday and his status is questionable. They do have a capable backup ( he started the first 2 games ) , but their offense is clearly more explosive now with this QB. His playing status might make the difference

GV has moved up to elite status in 6A. The GV army just keeps moving forward. Springfield has fantastic qb and athletes, but GV is winning old school. Old school wins 28-17. What a great weekend of matchups.

Has there been a recent spike in GV's student population and roster size? If so, does anyone know the reasoning behind it? Weren't they an old 3A school for awhile then jumped to 4A in mid to late 2000s?

HS: I would not call it a huge spike. For years it was the fastest growing area in Delco. But recently its kind of leveled out. When they were a 3A school, they were a big 3 A school and not for from 4A status.

Now they are in 6A , but one one the smallest schools in 6a They are only about 40 boys over being a 5A squad. So we are not looking at a huge enrollment school here.

What they have always had is large team numbers, often over 100 strong, and this does NOT include a 9th grade team. Which means they often have %15-%20 of boys in the school playing football, which is a remarkable number. They are able to do this by pretty much guaranteeing kids playing time-which is rare at the high school level. They used to run a strict 2 platoon system where no one played both ways , including for the most part special teams as well. 11 guys on offense, 11 on defense, 11 on kick return, 11 on kick offs, and then some situational subbing and your were getting 50-60 kids in every game. Factor in a decent amount of mercy rules or blowouts and you could see 80 kids play in a game. Im not sure how strict they are with that now, but i think for the most part they still abide by this system. I am not a big fan of it since they tend to put the better guys/athletes on offense, and the D tends to suffer, especially in the playoffs. But they probably lose LESS kids from 9th grade on because they all get into the game, the the big number rosters just keep regenerating.

I would be a fan of any philosophy that protects the game and gets kids involved. Well done GV. Never looked close enough to realize that that many kids get into the games.

Jeez may have to agree with Delco on this one. Springfield oc gets the job done, passing game wins the day.

Interesting tidbit, GV has 110 kids on their varsity roster. They also have 50 kids on thei freshman team. For some reason (maybe they do this all the time?), the freshman team dressed for the varsity game. That means they had 160 on the sidelines!

Ok thanks; Very cool tradition. It just immediately jumped out at me. They looked like an army on the sidelines!

My take on the game in short:
Springfield- I mentioned in the beginning of the season they will be the team to beat. I still think they win districts. After that, who knows but I'll be routing for them.

GV: If they want to be competitive at the 6A level in the playoffs, you can't drive the ball down the field to the 10 yd line and fumble (1st possession 1st qtr and 2nd possession 3rd qtr). Turnovers will kill you and at the 6A level, it will send you packing.

Overall, it was great to see 2 team grinding it out for 48 minutes earning every yd.

Shanahan, Rustin, Unionville, Acd Pk. I thought maybe Marple but I watched Springfield manhandle them.

Thanks. The only other team I've seen in 5A is Marple. I was there for the Springfield dismantling of them. Just wasn't sure if there were any other D1 5A teams that are serious threats; I'm curious of your thoughts. Would Springfield be two-score favorites over those other teams? Springfield is very good.

Thanks. The only other team I've seen in 5A is Marple. I was there for the Springfield dismantling of them. Just wasn't sure if there were any other D1 5A teams that are serious threats; I'm curious of your thoughts. Would Springfield be two-score favorites over those other teams? Springfield is very good.
19: This week I'll start watching video on the teams and reading articles. Based on what I've read so far, Shanahan and Unionville are good choices. I'll also look at their lines. Springfield isn't afraid of running right at you with the line they have. It's tough to stop a team like that and GV got a dose of it last night. When you say a two score favorite, I see the coaching factor kicking in. How well are they prepared? In the playoffs all the way to the state finals you see teams who are full of energy in the 4th qtr. They're prepared and go deep into the playoffs. Last night was a battle and I love seeing that from 2 undefeated teams.

19: This week I'll start watching video on the teams and reading articles. Based on what I've read so far, Shanahan and Unionville are good choices. I'll also look at their lines. Springfield isn't afraid of running right at you with the line they have. It's tough to stop a team like that and GV got a dose of it last night. When you say a two score favorite, I see the coaching factor kicking in. How well are they prepared? In the playoffs all the way to the state finals you see teams who are full of energy in the 4th qtr. They're prepared and go deep into the playoffs. Last night was a battle and I love seeing that from 2 undefeated teams.
SH,

It was great to see Springfield win the game and finally get credit for their two year run. I spoke to a friend who's son plays on the Springfield OLine and he feels that if they win the District they may be able to hang with Wood for maybe a half. I'm not so sure about that now. Just curious to get your thoughts on this since you know both programs.

Good seeing you on the board again.

SH,

It was great to see Springfield win the game and finally get credit for their two year run. I spoke to a friend who's son plays on the Springfield OLine and he feels that if they win the District they may be able to hang with Wood for maybe a half. I'm not so sure about that now. Just curious to get your thoughts on this since you know both programs.

Good seeing you on the board again.
How you doing? How's caveman? Miss you guys. I was talking to the sports beat writer at half time and reminiscing about that Wood game. I don't think anything has changed with them other than scheduling top teams like Bergen Cath. Not sure if Springfield or GV are at that level. That would be a great matchup to see how they fared.

Foot : I know Springfield man handled Marple. But the Marple QB was playing on one leg in that game. If he's healthy like he was at GV, I think they put up a much better showing. Also , it's often different playing a team twice in the same season.

Edsel's doing fine. He's on the Berwick staff where he belongs. They look very strong in District 2

Last edited:
If Springfield comes out of District 1 and meets Wood, I think it will be closer than prior meetings between AW and District 1 reps. I don't believe Wood is as good as years past and I think Springfield is better than many recent District 1 5A (or old 3A) champs.

What classification is Berwick?

If Springfield comes out of District 1 and meets Wood, I think it will be closer than prior meetings between AW and District 1 reps. I don't believe Wood is as good as years past and I think Springfield is better than many recent District 1 5A (or old 3A) champs.

Not an unreasonable thought. I sort of agree. If a team like Springfield could get past being on that stage then they could put up a good fight. At least, on paper it seems that way. We'll see...

3A

Foot : I know Springfield man handled Marple. But the Marple QB was playing on one leg in that game. If he's healthy like he was at GV, I think they put up a much better showing. Also , it's often different playing a team twice in the same season.
Same with GV. Someone mentioned GV was down to their soph qb Friday. If GV and Marple qb's re healthy for the playoffs, I agree it could be a game changer. The QB situation reminds me of Wood vs ACC in the state semis in 2010 where Nosovich destroyed Wood in Bethlehem. The following yr the rematch was at the Northeast site and Nosovich could barely walk let alone run out of the pocket (pressure) to pass or run. We know all to well what injuries do to key players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT